Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Haye vs. John Ruiz date finalized
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Romulus9
Boxing: Haye sets Ruiz date

By Steve Bunce

Wednesday, 27 January 2010

WBA Heavyweight champion David Haye must get past seasoned contender John Ruiz before he can dream of a clash with one of the Klitschko brothers

David Haye's first defence of his World Boxing Association heavyweight title was confirmed yesterday when it was announced that he would meet rugged veteran John Ruiz at the MEN Arena, Manchester, on 3 April in what will be the first world heavyweight title fight held in Britain since 2000.

Ruiz ticks every box on the "perfect first defence" checklist, and will arrive in the ring having not been stopped in 12 heavyweight title fights going back to 2000, including five wins, five defeats, a draw and a no-contest from 2005 against James Toney.

"Ruiz is the most experienced contender out there, he is officially the toughest heavyweight at the moment," Haye said. "I'm required to fight Ruiz and after I've stopped him I will move on it will be a great night in what has become the home of boxing in Britain.

Haye promised: "I'm looking forward to getting back to what I do best. I will not only beat him but beat him spectacularly and knock him out. Ruiz is a come-forward fighter so I aim to get at him, break him down, and take him out in good style."

During the last decade world heavyweight title fights have taken place in Tokyo and Berne, and just about every German city, but Haye's homecoming will be the first in Britain since Lennox Lewis retained three of his belts in July 2000 against South Africa's Frans Botha at the London Arena. Botha went in two; a Haye win in that round would be spectacular.
Romulus9
Personally, I hope Ruiz wins...

and his first defense is against David Tua.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 26 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Personally, I hope Ruiz wins...

and his first defense is against David Tua.

That's a beautiful thought right there. Tua is actaully fighting again soonish in March against Friday Ahunanya (hey anybody know Friday's full name? Anybody know Friday's full name?)

Hopefully that lame arse promoter of his Cedric Kueshner can get him another shot at some kind of title. How the hell can guys like Ruiz get multiple shots at the title and the Tuaman only gets one?

For the good of boxing though Haye needs to win this one.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 27 2010, 06:01 AM) *
Hopefully that lame arse promoter of his Cedric Kueshner can get him another shot at some kind of title. How the hell can guys like Ruiz get multiple shots at the title and the Tuaman only gets one?

See since his loss to RJJ his losses have been controversial to say the least & in Europe which says it all. I hope Jawny wins this & destroys Haye & the British media's obsession with him.
Romulus9
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 27 2010, 12:22 AM) *
See since his loss to RJJ his losses have been controversial to say the least & in Europe which says it all. I hope Jawny wins this & destroys Haye & the British media's obsession with him.

Very true. I think this is a very winnable fight for Ruiz, but he'll have to win 10 rounds to get a draw in the UK.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 27 2010, 01:22 AM) *

I dunno Steve, I've never really been able to put the words 'Jawny' and 'destroy' in the same sentence. I have been able to put the words 'Jawny' 'Tua' and 'destroyed' in the same sentence laugh.gif

On that note I'm off to YouTube, I'll be back in 19 seconds................ black eye.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 27 2010, 01:34 AM) *
I dunno Steve, I've never really been able to put the words 'Jawny' and 'destroy' in the same sentence. I have been able to put the words 'Jawny' 'Tua' and 'destroyed' in the same sentence laugh.gif

On that note I'm off to YouTube, I'll be back in 19 seconds................ black eye.gif

Yeah, a lot of people hate Ruiz,but Jawny does have a really strong right hand that has me wondering how Haye will react if he gets hit with a perfect one..I used to really hate Ruiz myself but as of a few years ago I started to really respect him..He's truely "the quiet man" but he can be an exciting fighter when he wants to be..After the Tua KO he became really gun shy and it has taken him many years to go back to the way he used to fight..
AussieLad
I dont like Haye much, i think he is a bit of a nobhead really

But if he is fighting ruiz, i pray that he decapitates that mother fucker. Because my dislike of ruiz outweighs my dislike of haye by at least a thousand-fold

Fuck ruiz, the only cure for insomnia. Fuck that human octopus.... punch... clinch... punch... clinch clinch clinch pu... no wait lets clinch some more
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 27 2010, 02:17 AM) *
I dont like Haye much, i think he is a bit of a nobhead really

But if he is fighting ruiz, i pray that he decapitates that mother fucker. Because my dislike of ruiz outweighs my dislike of haye by at least a thousand-fold

Fuck ruiz, the only cure for insomnia. Fuck that human octopus.... punch... clinch... punch... clinch clinch clinch pu... no wait lets clinch some more

Too true. I don't give a fuck if Tua traumatized him, go see a fucking pyschiatrist but just quit fighting like you wanna hump guys. I've seen too much of his 'man love' style for one lifetime.

While I do respect his willingness to fight all comers and go to their backyards his style really does make me wanna puke. At least Haye is a little bit new to the division and he puts bums on seats. I can see people tuning in to watch Haye, either coz they wanna see him get clipped or see him win. I see nothing about Ruiz that is gonna encourage new fans to watch boxing or the HW division in particular.
King Eugene
Ruiz will be chasing like he did the RJJ fight. He'll complain about not getting a fair shake and take it to court just to get a rematch which will delay the Haye vs. Klits show down. Ruiz go away please. Go fight a former middleweight...oh my bad you might not want to do that.
Spyder
Ruiz needs to get KTFO in spectacular fashion for him to FINALLY disappear.

I'll be rooting pretty hard for Haye.
STEVENSKI
I just can't help but like Jawny. This is the man who can take him all the way with Haye!

King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 27 2010, 05:40 AM) *
I just can't help but like Jawny.

Like him enough to bet on him?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jan 27 2010, 04:39 AM) *
Ruiz will be chasing like he did the RJJ fight. He'll complain about not getting a fair shake and take it to court just to get a rematch which will delay the Haye vs. Klits show down. Ruiz go away please. Go fight a former middleweight...oh my bad you might not want to do that.

Snap!! I was trying to think of a way to work that joke into my little diatribe but couldn't do it. Kudos for that nugget.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jan 27 2010, 11:40 AM) *
Like him enough to bet on him?

Not being a betting man I can't but like roulette always bet on black! LOL Wesley Snipes wisdom right there.
Spyder
Jawny is the REASON for the decline of the Heavyweight division.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jan 27 2010, 06:26 AM) *
Jawny is the REASON for the decline of the Heavyweight division.

Alone...........

No other reason! Roy should have stayed, beat Lewis and had the torch passed to him! thumbsup_anim.gif
salvador
Haye isn't any kind of long term or even intermediate term fix for the hw division. Both Klits will destroy him, so whether he loses to Ruiz first is irrelevant.

I'd much rather see Haye lose to a B level guy than to a Klit - particularly after the way Haye talked about Valuev without even trying to back it up in the ring.

My hope is that the oddsmakers make this a 3-1 kind of fight, in which case my money will be on the Quiet Man - even though the fight will be in England.
Maxy
I see nobody read the British boxing scene thread further down the page? No?

QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 25 2010, 04:14 PM) *
David Haye is due to defend his heavyweight title on April 3rd against John Ruiz. It'll take place at the M.E.N despite Haye telling his fans when he won the belt that he'd defend it at the 02 Arena. Oh well.

Although it's only Ruiz it is still, far and away, the best heavyweight Haye will have faced to date. I expect him to win and to win big, probably around the 5th round, but it'll definitely give us all a better idea of what he is capable of achieving at heavyweight.
salvador
Maxy,

I totally disagree with your assessment that Ruiz will be some kind of gauge for Haye. Ruiz is definitely the best he's faced so far, but Ruiz is 38 and only 6'2". We're not going to learn anything about Haye in terms of what's important at hw - and that is whether or not Haye can get around the jabs of the big guys - Wlad and Vitali - and whether or not once Haye has gotten around those jabs if he'll be able to get inside and land anything on them.

Haye would probably have had a good shot at hw up until about the mid 1990s, but once the game changed with the big guys (Lewis, Bowe, Klits, Rahman), smallish speedsters like Haye were essentially passed over.

We saw how bad Haye looked against Valuev - imagine that but much much worse against the Klits. If he wasn't such a great talker, we would never be talking about him as a serious hw contender.
MarzB
I like Ruiz in that he does the best with what he has. However how anyone who can complain about the state of the heavyweight division and not want to see Haye in the mix whether you like him or not is crazy.

"British media's obsession with him?
" Ah, hello he's the first British HW champion since Lewis, he's pretty damn marketable over there. He has a good skill set and get this, he actually shows up in SHAPE, what a novel concept.

Nah I can't see why they would DARE cover him over the likes of Audley Harrison, Danny Williams and others. Do you THINK sometimes when you make comments?

Good test for Haye since he "ran" and didn't dare "sit and trade" with Valuev . Ruiz has shown a late second wind surge in his career and has toned down on his excessive clinching. I believe that has more to do with his level of opposition than him consciously changing his tactics. Ruiz will put up a good fight but, Ruiz is too slow, too flat footed and too easy to hit especially at this stage of his career to stop Haye. Namely, fighters with fast hands that can throw combinations are Ruiz's krytonite if there ever was any. Ruiz defense is his clinching. Haye has a good enough jab to keep Ruiz at a distance.

I would like to see how Haye reacts to Ruiz's right which is by far his best punch. Also, I wonder if Haye will revert to his old, "get them out of there" self or will he work Ruiz into the late rounds.

I have Haye by exciting TKO in 7.
Maxy
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 27 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Maxy,

I totally disagree with your assessment that Ruiz will be some kind of gauge for Haye. Ruiz is definitely the best he's faced so far, but Ruiz is 38 and only 6'2". We're not going to learn anything about Haye in terms of what's important at hw - and that is whether or not Haye can get around the jabs of the big guys - Wlad and Vitali - and whether or not once Haye has gotten around those jabs if he'll be able to get inside and land anything on them.

Haye would probably have had a good shot at hw up until about the mid 1990s, but once the game changed with the big guys (Lewis, Bowe, Klits, Rahman), smallish speedsters like Haye were essentially passed over.

We saw how bad Haye looked against Valuev - imagine that but much much worse against the Klits. If he wasn't such a great talker, we would never be talking about him as a serious hw contender.

Perhaps I didn't word it as I meant it.

All I mean is that Ruiz, despite his age and despite the fact he is 38, happens to be the best heavyweight Haye has faced to date. Not saying a lot, I agree, but if Haye can blast him out of the picture once and for all it'll be a good win. Nothing great, I know that, but a good win all the same.

As for Valuev, Haye claims he broke his hand in the 3rd round and knew then that he would have to remain cautious for the rest of the fight. I saw Haye on a chat show over here a few days after the Valuev fight and his hand was in plaster so I've got to believe his story.

Haye is a better talker than he is a fighter, or at least, as a fighter at heavyweight but he adds a bit of colour to the division and that is badly needed. Maybe, in this age of giants, he won't accomplish his said aims of unifying the titles but whilst he's around I'm going to enjoy him because (the Valuev snorefest apart), he's the most exciting heavyweight out there.

Sooner or later he'll get stretched, possibly by a lesser opponent, but that just adds to the excitement as far as I'm concerned.
Jack 1000
Rooting for Ruiz against Haye?

I need a long hot shower to get that scum out of my body and head. There's nothing good about a Ruiz win. Haye fought like shit against Valuev. The only thing that would be cool is if Haye repeated Tuaman's performance against "The Queit Man." Otherwise this title defense doesn't prove shit.

Let's just see Haye demonstrate with his fists and not his mouth exclusively. It's in the UK and I love how the deck will be stacked against Ruiz because he is such a boring POS.

As for:

It used to be the influence of Don King and the WBA. Cedricc has connections there as well. The other thing is that Ruiz with the exception of the Tua fight is a survivor who is hard to look good against who has fought everybody. The only feather in his cap is Ruiz has been fighting and not ducking. However, that does not make his boring style any better to watch. Give me Haye by UD

Jack
salvador
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 27 2010, 10:04 AM) *
All I mean is that Ruiz, despite his age and despite the fact he is 38, happens to be the best heavyweight Haye has faced to date. Not saying a lot, I agree, but if Haye can blast him out of the picture once and for all it'll be a good win. Nothing great, I know that, but a good win all the same.

We definitely agree on that. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ruiz win even in England. It's not like Haye is going to hurt him, and Ruiz is going to keep coming forward with his weight on the smaller man.

Hopefully Ruiz will get the same ref that did the Hatton-Tszyu fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 27 2010, 02:49 PM) *
I like Ruiz in that he does the best with what he has. However how anyone who can complain about the state of the heavyweight division and not want to see Haye in the mix whether you like him or not is crazy.

"British media's obsession with him?
" Ah, hello he's the first British HW champion since Lewis, he's pretty damn marketable over there. He has a good skill set and get this, he actually shows up in SHAPE, what a novel concept.

Nah I can't see why they would DARE cover him over the likes of Audley Harrison, Danny Williams and others. Do you THINK sometimes when you make comments?

It is a obsession just read any of their papers when one of their sub par fighters are fighting. Just like every world cup when they talk mad shit about this being the one England will win & they bow out in the 1/4 finals & they get all shocked. I suppose it is good that they give that level of media to boxers which is I believe far more than any other nation does but alas Engand produes 2nd rate boxers & it appears always will

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 27 2010, 09:32 PM) *
Ruiz is the man, everyone else can fuck themselves.

Amen!
Romulus9
Many here have offered an opinion on Ruiz, but it'll be tough to top this classic:

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 27 2010, 06:40 AM) *
I just can't help but like Jawny. This is the man who can take him all the way with Haye!

That picture is the shit!!!Stoney is and always will be one of my favorite guys involved in boxing..That guy cracks me up..No one has ever cared more for Jawny than him..If Stoney thinks he got a bad shake,he'll take the belt out of the champions hands and run around with it..
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 27 2010, 04:32 PM) *
Ruiz is the man, everyone else can fuck themselves.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 27 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Amen!

You guys would like him.
The CEO
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 28 2010, 12:28 AM) *
Many here have offered an opinion on Ruiz, but it'll be tough to top this classic:

laugh.gif

That's a great one...short and sweet....and I, too, am in agreeance with The Artist formerly known as Big Slim....

Remember this..?

John Ruiz: Spyder, wvu8893, The C.E.O., JD, damarvelous1, Big Slim, snoopnick, happygocampy, Lil-lightsout, 3King3, biggeorge89, rusty_trombone

He was Dumped for all the right reasons...lol

and for the record, this fight has no value to me at all...I don't care who wins, and whoever wins doesn't matter...it really means nothing in The Grand Scheme of things...both of them would get ANNIHILATED by the true Champions of the division.
Spyder
Wasn't Ruiz the first guy dumped?

If he wasn't, he DESERVED to be.

The value that I see in this fight is that they need to clean up the WBA situation so the Klits can claim it.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 28 2010, 01:28 AM) *

I remember that like it was yesterday.

laugh.gif

John Ruiz is a cancer to boxing fans. We can be treated by seeing him humiliated from time to time, but somehow we can't be cured of him.
Spyder
laugh.gif
Maxy
I think in the grand scheme of things this fight means much more than the Hopkins-Jones rematch, which will prove absolutely sod all.

If Haye can bang Ruiz out of there early it will go a long way towards a bout with one of the Klits, which is great for boxing as a whole.
ROLL DEEP
Agreed.

ANY fight is better than Hopkins - Jones. I'm a big fan of both, but seriously, a fight like that is KILLING the sport.

I fancy Haye to win, although he might have trouble with Ruiz's hugging tactics and he's a tough dude, but I see Haye out boxing him to a points win.

I doubt he'll go out there and try to bang him out and mess up a mega pay day with the Klitschko brothers....I hopoe he does but I think he'll play it safe.
BigG
I used to have alot of hate for Johnny but it's died down completely. he's actually been more exciting lately. Fuck in his fights with Valuev it was VALUEV doing all the hugging.

I think Haye will win but Ruiz will present problems. I think Haye may even get dropped early but I expect him to KO Ruiz late.
JD
Ruiz is going to beat Haye.

It is the only way.
D-MARV
Jones Ruiz II
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 1 2010, 11:36 PM) *
Jones Ruiz II

I would be happy to see that. Ruiz would just need to steam in & unload & it would be night night Roy. I would love to watch that with you Stylin. I would even buy the beers.
Romulus9
Overrated: Jones-Ruiz II

Underrated: Holyfield-Ruiz IV
D-MARV
I was actually comparing Hay-Ruiz to Jones Ruiz...

Haye 116-112
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 2 2010, 01:37 AM) *
I was actually comparing Hay-Ruiz to Jones Ruiz...

Haye 116-112

Ruiz KO2 Jones

As I said Styler beers will be on me.
King Eugene
Roy decisions Ruiz again!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 2 2010, 05:55 AM) *
Roy decisions Ruiz again!

Then the beer is on you!
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 2 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Then the beer is on you!

Ruiz has bad luck with fighters coming up in weight. Roy rocked Ruiz last time. He stops him this time.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 2 2010, 03:43 AM) *
Ruiz has bad luck with fighters coming up in weight. Roy rocked Ruiz last time. He stops him this time.

Really? you think Jones stops Ruiz if they fought again?!
King Eugene
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Feb 2 2010, 03:54 AM) *

Hell no! I was messing with Stevenski Jones III
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Feb 2 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Lets just say that if myself & my good man Eugene watched Roy vs Ruiz II that someone would be upset by the result. I have to admit that I don't have the same venom for Roy that I once did. Somehow I don't think my hate would ever fade for Floyd though.
Thegreatequalizer
yeah, i give haye a good chance to ko ruiz. ruiz is a tough dude, but he's been ko'd before and haye definitely has the power and speed to do it. ruiz has some pop, so he could ko haye as well, but i would lean towards haye.

what i want to see is haye vs. tua.
Maxy
Hayes speed and power will be way too much for Ruiz. This is going to be an explosive victory for Haye, no doubt about it. Ruiz is a plodder, he won't be able to avoid Hayes big shots and if it goes past 7 rounds I'll be stunned.

Haye is simply too good for ANY current American heavyweight. Fact.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Feb 2 2010, 05:00 PM) *
yeah, i give haye a good chance to ko ruiz. ruiz is a tough dude, but he's been ko'd before and haye definitely has the power and speed to do it. ruiz has some pop, so he could ko haye as well, but i would lean towards haye.

what i want to see is haye vs. tua.

You know Tua taps that china jaw at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.