Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather -VS- Mosley: May 1st, 2010 (All Comments Here)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Provo209
All the Floyd Haters couple months ago were talking all this shit Floyds scared of Shane,he seen what he did to Margarito ! Now that Floyd is fighting all of a sudden Shane to old and way past his prime .LOL here come the excuses !
KookedKrack
I have no idea who to pick in this one but just for hating sake it would be AWESOME if both Clottey and Mosley both win.
MarzB
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 30 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Mayweather might not hit as hard as Cotto but his speed creates momentum and he is also much more accurate, which means he will be landing more often than Cotto was and thus be able to keep Mosley honest.

Very good fight for Mayweather to be taking and yes, Mosley is old but the majority of people here were picking him to destroy Berto so that means they still hold him in high regard.

My take on the fight is this. There's a youtube interview of Bro Nazim. Here let me find it. Damn I can't find it but in the video he discussed this match up. He mentioned and I'll expound on it that it's going to be more of a boxing match because Floyd eats up overly aggressive fighters. He loves that.

Mosley is NOT a dumb fighter so he's definitely NOT going to recklessly attack Mayweather which would be his undoing completely. Mayweather is the better boxer and has the better defense by far. Most importantly, Mosley is often times too flat footed and should Floyd tease him with his jab, his rhythm and timing can be upsetted.

That said if I were Nazim, I'd work relentlessly on feints and draws because as good as Mayweather is, it's those little things that can throw him off but you have to be determined to stick with that. Which leads to my intangible, MENTAL/EMOTIONAL edge. Plenty of the "HATE FACTION" despise Mayweather primarily for his outside the ring antics. Which is funny to me because the dude is rock solid concentration wise in the ring. That said can ANYONE name me one time where you've seen Mayweather mentally shaken, rattled or bothered?? I know the answer "he's never been in there with anybody". Whatever to that.

On the other hand, Shane has often times as good as he is displayed visible frustration, poor body language, and just flat out frustration. Thats not something unless addressed (hint hint hint Mosley, Bro Nazim) that can be easily corrected and it does affect your performance.

Mayweather will be the favorite and if he gets cocky, takes Shane lightly or takes the approach of some bullschit about Shane being a "sparring partner" (which I'm certain he will say in the 24/7). Guess what, HE LOSES! But Roger is way too smart (the ONLY person I know of that CLEARLY and definitively called Shane's result over Margarito) to not prepare for that with his nephew.

One last thing outside of the footwork, Shane is bothered by a good jab and one thing I hate about Floyd that I also think is very unique with his "boxer" style is that he doesn't use the jab enough. Unless he HAS TO and he did in the Marquez fight (I know Marquez was a flyweight, bantam, blah, blah) . Shane is the only person IMO in the welterweight division that can force Floyd to fight outside of himself which is what folks want to see.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
If Shane tries to box with Mayweather he will lose every round. It's not Mosley's style to try and sit back and box, he will try to pressure Mayweather which is the right thing to do imo. I'm not saying he gets reckless, but he's going to have to use his strength to get Mayweather on the ropes and use angles to get beyond that defense. Mosley was eating jabs from Miguel Cotto, and I think Mayweather will utilize that jab. This is one of those fights where his jab will be a large factor. Shane needs to wear Mayweather down, and that's going to happen by putting smart pressure on him and working his body. If Mosley can get him to stop moving, this fight could get interesting.
MarzB
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jan 30 2010, 12:09 PM) *
If Shane tries to box with Mayweather he will lose every round. It's not Mosley's style to try and sit back and box, he will try to pressure Mayweather which is the right thing to do imo. I'm not saying he gets reckless, but he's going to have to use his strength to get Mayweather on the ropes and use angles to get beyond that defense. Mosley was eating jabs from Miguel Cotto, and I think Mayweather will utilize that jab. This is one of those fights where his jab will be a large factor. Shane needs to wear Mayweather down, and that's going to happen by putting smart pressure on him and working his body. If Mosley can get him to stop moving, this fight could get interesting.

I completely agree with this, the problem is that Mayeather is an EXCELLENT counter puncher and LOVES when fighters try to approach him and be aggressive. Shane's speed saves him often times in this but Shane "can" at times be very open when he throws and we've often seen Shane be off balance when he misses. Which means this, back to my footwork point, he does often times throw punches wrecklessly.

I understand that Mayorga is PUG generally speaking. But as much of a pug he was, he was extremely predictable and Shane took 12 rounds to solve that puzzle. Guess what?? If he had problems solving a predicable, girly throwing right handed dude, how is he going to answer and elusive guy who can suddenly throw a straight right down the PIKE and duck and veer away from the counter??
Provo209
Brother Naz ain't going to do anything,u can not teach a old dog new tricks.LOL
Floyd is going to use his Jab all night,Shane will come forward because that's everyones gameplan against Mayweather,Shane won't stop Floyds right when he brings it over the top,Shane gets careless when he gets aggresive he tends to plant his feet drops his hands and releases his punches from his waistline leaving himself open for Floyds left hook.
And like I said I wouldn't be surprised if Shane gets stoped late in the 11th round ,ok yeah Floyd might not have power but when your taking punches all night eating leather it can catch up to you Shane will know he's behind on the cards and try and go for the kill get careless !
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That's why I think this is a terrible fight for Shane. I really think being off 16 months will be a problem, and his style will play right into Mayweather's hands. Movement and fluid boxing gives Mayorga a lot of problems, which is why Shane didn't do as well, that's not his style. Mosley likes to stand in the pocket and fight, and he'll come forward. Mayweather will want to move around that ring, and he's going to be snapping that jab. I think Shane's only shot is to try and come forward. If he can jab his way in, and push Mayweather back on those ropes this fight could get interesting. The only problem will be keeping him on the ropes and getting to that body. If this happens, the judges will have to watch closley, because as you said Mayweather will counter off those ropes and land some nice shots. It could come down to Mosley's work rate vs. Mayweather's efficient punching. However, I think Mayweather will dominate the first few rounds, and his back won't be on those ropes often leaving Mosley confused and frustrated most of the night.
Spyder
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jan 30 2010, 12:09 PM) *

What are you talking about dude? Shane is a counter puncher. If he pressures Floyd, he WILL get eaten alive.

QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 30 2010, 12:02 PM) *
My take on the fight is this. There's a youtube interview of Bro Nazim. Here let me find it. Damn I can't find it but in the video he discussed this match up. He mentioned and I'll expound on it that it's going to be more of a boxing match because Floyd eats up overly aggressive fighters. He loves that.

Mosley is NOT a dumb fighter so he's definitely NOT going to recklessly attack Mayweather which would be his undoing completely. Mayweather is the better boxer and has the better defense by far. Most importantly, Mosley is often times too flat footed and should Floyd tease him with his jab, his rhythm and timing can be upsetted.

That said if I were Nazim, I'd work relentlessly on feints and draws because as good as Mayweather is, it's those little things that can throw him off but you have to be determined to stick with that.

Ding ding ding...both guys are prone to counter. So Shane will HAVE to do things to get Floyd to throw his hands. Feints, draws...whatever Shane has to do to get Floyd to open up. During the first DLH fight, Shane did those things. He lead the exchanges, and countered Oscar's counter punches.

It will be a highly cerebral fight, but one that Shane is capable of pulling off.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Shane is not a mover, that's what I mean when I say try to box for 12 rounds with Mayweather. Mosley is counter puncher at times, but with Mayweather's speed I don't see that being effective at all. I didn't see Mosley doing much countering against Cotto or Mayorga for that matter until later in the fight. The dude has fought a lot of his fights by being aggresive. He took the last four rounds of the De La Hoya rematch by being aggresive. Sure he countered Margarito, but he's nowhere close to the speed of Mayweather. You don't recklessly pressure Floyd, but Mosley will be fighter coming forward, I can guarantee that. De La Hoya had limited success by jabbing his way in on Mayweather and going to work when he got him on the ropes. Castillo pressured Mayweather in their first fight as well. I'm not saying that Mosley go all Ricky Hatton in there, but he will need to jab his way forward.
The CEO
I expect Shane to give it his all in this fight....he's gonna go after Floyd in a similar, but not exact, fashion to what he did with Margarito....he will be willing to eat punches and go out on his shield if he has to as well...

I see Shane doing whatever it takes to try to get Floyd off his game...like punching his arms/shoulders, hips religiously....roughing him up in clinches....it should be a very competitive and interesting fight that will tell us a lot about both of them...
neophyte7
Floyd wins this.. and I see him throwing shots with more conviction to make a statement. I truly feel that PBF and Mosley will put on a good fight. People underestimate the fighter in Mayweather and I think he surprises mosely.
MarzB
I'm going to review four fights. Shane vs. Forrest II, Shane vs. Cotto, Shane vs. Winky II and Shane vs. Oscar II

Let me say this about Shane and I didn't realize this while typing. That dude gets TREMENDOUS PROPS in WANTING to make fights and overcoming demons. I didn't realize while I was typing that I typed three second fights with his opposition. Off the top of my head I CAN NOT think of any top fighter in recent memory that WANTED to go back against a previous competitor FOUR(if you count VARGAS) separate times. Hands down MUCH props.

But my point in those fights is typically in rematches, there are some adjustments made and in all save for the DLH matchup, Shane did better in all his rematches but I want to see (recent mind) what the other guy did better.

Oh to Provo. I'm of the opinion that if someone is WILLING/ACCEPTING to learn you "CAN" teach an old dog new tricks. The only problem is as the GREAT Mike Tyson would say, "everyone has a plan til they get punched in the mouth",lol. Meaning, I've seen Shane TOO MANY times discouraged and bewildered in the ring and unless a shrink is part of his camp, I don't see a change (HINT HINT HINT HINT)
PR316
I see Mayweather counter punching his way to a UD. Mosley's style IMO is made for Mayweather to shine against and it may be boring, but PBF is too slick and skilled to lose to Mosley, especially this version who while still fast, isn't much of a mover and gets frustrated when he has to deal with slick defensive skills. Mayweather will jab, move, and clinch constantly, dropping the right hand on occasion and once again boxing fans will be frustrated. But PBF will get credit this time for having fought a legitimate opponent and thats what matters here.

Mayweather via UD and it will be easier than many expect.
Douchebag
Note to everybody in here. The last time Mosley fought someone that was a slick boxer was Luis Collazo.
jvo1800
My take on this fight for Shane at least, is to use his speed point blank period. Shane has very fast hands and he needs to use that to his advantage because pressuring Mayweather will get him knocked out (CHECK LEFT HOOK). The problem that everyone has fighting Floyd is that he is not a high risk puncher, and he doesnt waste energy on a bunch of punches that he dont expect to land. Even when Mayweather misses he's in a comfortable enough position to get back on defense so it makes counter punching nearly impossible. Shane just has to obviously use his jab and throw combinations as much as he can because he definitely wont win a one punch battle against Floyd.
MarzB
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jan 30 2010, 02:55 PM) *
Note to everybody in here. The last time Mosley fought someone that was a slick boxer was Luis Collazo.

Meaning (no diss to Collazo btw)?
Douchebag
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jan 30 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Meaning (no diss to Collazo btw)?

I'm not dissing Collazo either, I mentioned that because a lot of people are saying that Shane won't be able to deal with Floyd's slickness when the fact of the matter is the last time Shane fought a slick guy he dominated him.
D-MARV
Collazo is considered a slick boxer?
Douchebag
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 02:59 PM) *
Collazo is considered a slick boxer?

Yes.
salvador
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 30 2010, 09:57 AM) *
Thats not the same Mosley we have seen recently. I think we'll be seeing something closer to the Mosley that fought Cotto. Mosley did very well in that fight. I think the thing that held him back in the early rounds was Cotto's power. In the late rounds he poured it on because Cotto' power faded. Mayweather isnt as powerful as Cotto. Mosley will go to work early and possibly stop Mayweather Late. i fully expect Naz and Mosley to geameplan Mayweather and beat him.

Cotto pressed the action for 8 rounds to get inside on Shane to land shots whereas Floyd won't get anywhere near Shane except for the opportunity to time an occasional jab. Shane's going to be chasing him for 12 rounds so the entire tone of the fight with Floyd will be different whether Shane likes it or not.

Shane does great against guys who will slug with him because he's got a great chin, serious speed for a slugger, and he throws combos - none of which are going to be relevant against Floyd who has better speed/footwork/defense than anyone Shane's ever faced and Floyd and won't get within 5 feet of Shane.

I hope to God that you are right, but I just can't see it.

Ultimately, what matters to me most here is that nobody gets carried away with Floyd if he wins an easy decision.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 30 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Mayweather might not hit as hard as Cotto but his speed creates momentum and he is also much more accurate, which means he will be landing more often than Cotto was and thus be able to keep Mosley honest.

Very good fight for Mayweather to be taking and yes, Mosley is old but the majority of people here were picking him to destroy Berto so that means they still hold him in high regard.

Mayweather doesnt throw as many punches as Cotto. I'd say Cotto is pretty accurate as well. I see Mosley touching Mayweather up a bit.
namor
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 30 2010, 02:15 AM) *
I'm fucking saying that shit NOW! That's the only reason that Floyd's agreed to this fight. I'm actually shocked it wasn't done for 2012 or 2013, to be honest.

If he wins, fine but it's not like it's a prime Mosley. He's pretty much delayed the shit out of most of the best of the Welters, so now he'll start fighting them and expect full credit for it.

What's he gonna wait for Cotto to get smashed again and then call him out?

FLoyd has been calling Shane out since 1999 so Your attempts at discrediting Floyd will not work.
namor
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 10:52 AM) *
I can't say that I'm shocked that people are throwing out Shane's age... LOL

Floyd -2

PAcquiao -0

I know.First they claim that Floyd will never fight Shane then when he agree`s to fight him all of a sudden Mosley is old.If Pacquiao signed to fight Mosley you would never hear Mosley`s age mentioned.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jan 30 2010, 03:03 PM) *
Yes.

OK.
Provo209
QUOTE (namor @ Jan 30 2010, 01:28 PM) *
I know.First they claim that Floyd will never fight Shane then when he agree`s to fight him all of a sudden Mosley is old.If Pacquiao signed to fight Mosley you would never hear Mosley`s age mentioned.

There's just Haters bro! I wonder what R.A the rugged man thinks about this fight happening? LoL
Douchebag
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 04:47 PM) *
OK.

Good.
D-MARV
QUOTE (namor @ Jan 30 2010, 04:28 PM) *

If Pac signed to fight Mosley, their would be people putting him up there with Duran, Robinson, and Armstrong... Oh Wait... Some already do that.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 30 2010, 01:37 PM) *
I expect Shane to give it his all in this fight....he's gonna go after Floyd in a similar, but not exact, fashion to what he did with Margarito....he will be willing to eat punches and go out on his shield if he has to as well...

I see Shane doing whatever it takes to try to get Floyd off his game...like punching his arms/shoulders, hips religiously....roughing him up in clinches....it should be a very competitive and interesting fight that will tell us a lot about both of them...

Nice analysis CEO. Everybody is talking about what Floyd is gonna do to Shane AT RANGE, but nobody is discussing what could potentially happen on the inside. Shane despite his 'aw shucks' persona is a nasty man inside of a ring (did anyone see him trash talking in Marg's ear in like the 1st round of their fight?) and I think this is his best chance for victory.

He has to make this an inside fight with Floyd, (which is something you can actually do), throw forearms, hit low or borderline, headbutt the dude, in other words make it real ugly.

One of Floyd's most underrated assets is his strength, he is a very very strong guy (PED's anyone? laugh.gif) and he doesn't seem to mind getting tied on the inside in fights up coz he is usually the stronger guy and is pretty nifty at throwing the odd forearm himself, just look at how he took on Fatton on the inside, but this time I think he meets a guy who is going to be stronger than him. This to me is Shane's key to victory.

I'll still pick PBF by a decent UD but if Mosley and Richardson can get a decent gameplan together, and provided Shane STICKS to that gameplan an upset victory would not surprise me either.

Styles make fights and despite Shane's age I think this is a far more competitive match-up than Pac/PBF. PBF's style is all wrong for Pac.

P.S Pontoon my arse laugh.gif You know there's already a waitlist for THE Brig? Sweetness and Spyder sold that shit hard drinks.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 05:54 PM) *
If Pac signed to fight Mosley, their would be people putting him up there with Duran, Robinson, and Armstrong... Oh Wait... Some already do that.

Who? No-one I know on these boards. Not even Torvix has gone that loopy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Provo209 @ Jan 30 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Brother Naz ain't going to do anything,u can not teach a old dog new tricks.LOL
Floyd is going to use his Jab all night,Shane will come forward because that's everyones gameplan against Mayweather,Shane won't stop Floyds right when he brings it over the top,Shane gets careless when he gets aggresive he tends to plant his feet drops his hands and releases his punches from his waistline leaving himself open for Floyds left hook.
And like I said I wouldn't be surprised if Shane gets stoped late in the 11th round ,ok yeah Floyd might not have power but when your taking punches all night eating leather it can catch up to you Shane will know he's behind on the cards and try and go for the kill get careless !

For PBF to do this he has to hit Shane with one shot and as you've also said yourself PBF doesn't really possess that kinda power. So the alternative is PBF has to hit Shane with a bunch of shots which means getting into the killzone. Again I highly doubt PBF is willing to do that at ANY stage of the fight with Mosley.

Interesting you seem to be a big Mayweather fan but apparently have no idea of how he fights.
AussieLad
I think floyds career post 140 has been pretty shonky.

Sure shane is past it, but he is still dangerous. Mayweather will be facing the top guy in his division, the best that division has to offer at that time. And that is all you can really ask for.

I think shane will give floyd serious problems, given his size, speed and power. Great fight.

I really hope shane doesnt follow the oscar and hatton gameplan of pure pressure, because that is a mistake. Floyd will go into a defensive shell, conserve energy, and pot shot more and more as the fight goes on. Shane needs to box, much like zab did for the first 4 or 5 rounds. And as floyd settles into a rythm, change it up and attack in spurts to unsettle him. Variety is the key, no single gameplan will suffice
Spyder
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 30 2010, 05:05 PM) *
P.S Pontoon my arse laugh.gif You know there's already a waitlist for THE Brig? Sweetness and Spyder sold that shit hard drinks.gif

That's right!

THE Brig is where it's at!!

laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 30 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Sure shane is past it, but he is still dangerous. Mayweather will be facing the top guy in his division, the best that division has to offer at that time. And that is all you can really ask for.

I think shane will give floyd serious problems, given his size, speed and power. Great fight.

I really hope shane doesnt follow the oscar and hatton gameplan of pure pressure, because that is a mistake. Floyd will go into a defensive shell, conserve energy, and pot shot more and more as the fight goes on. Shane needs to box, much like zab did for the first 4 or 5 rounds. And as floyd settles into a rythm, change it up and attack in spurts to unsettle him. Variety is the key, no single gameplan will suffice

The only problem I have with that is I don't think Shane's got the speed to box with Mayweather. Zab (I can't believe I'm saying this) is probably the only guy Mayweather ever fougth that is faster than him, hence his eraly success, that and I don't think he likes southpaws, (certainly not as much as Hard Nard). I'm not sure if Shane can afford to get into a boxing match with Floyd.

Still I take your points and this is why it will be an interesting fight, I think at some point we're gonna get something that we don't expect to see.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 30 2010, 10:37 AM) *
That's tough and a good question. I think they are both tough in different ways. I think Mosley is tougher physically, but Manny is more explosive and non stop. Based on the last fight, I think I will say that the Pacquiao fighter has more credibility. Though that's not to say I'm not giving Mayweather credit for a win over Mosley because I will, though I will keep a lid on things still and I have in mind that Mosley is coming off a break and isn't young, but still would be a pretty good win.
I would give Mayweather more credit with Mosley than Pacquiao hadn't the Pacquiao-Cotto fight happened. Before then, I still had question marks on how Pacquiao reacts to a punch from a legit 147 fighter (DLH or Hatton never tested his chin). I found out that Pacquiao can hang with 147 fighters, so I think the Pacquiao fighter now is more of a credible fight IMO.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (namor @ Jan 30 2010, 01:23 PM) *
FLoyd has been calling Shane out since 1999 so Your attempts at discrediting Floyd will not work.

And you think he was serious about that? How many times has he played that game? Talks about "all you gotta do is say my name" and when people like hatton or someone says his name, it's on and poppin, and Floyd's offended.

When Mosley goes up right to his fucking face and says fight me, Floyd is stuttering and stammering like Smiley in Do the right thing. "M-M-M-M-MOSELY!"

People can keep throwing out that stupid immature phrase like "hater" all they want, but the facts remain that Floyd has not taken a fight against an opponent who posed a legit threat since Castillo. He just hasn't. He's fought good fighters, but not people that are going to pose a threat to his beloved "perfect" record.

And he's well within his right to go chase the money, but he gives up the ability to call himself the best ever, when he doesn't fight the best ever. Whether that's his fault, or someone else's fault. The fact remains he did not fight the best possible opponents, instead choosing the more lucrative fights.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you are realistic about what that does to your overall legacy, which he's on the record as saying means shit to him.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Good point. Fair point.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 30 2010, 07:14 PM) *
And you think he was serious about that? How many times has he played that game? Talks about "all you gotta do is say my name" and when people like hatton or someone says his name, it's on and poppin, and Floyd's offended.

When Mosley goes up right to his fucking face and says fight me

Well...

He fights him.
AussieLad
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 31 2010, 12:04 AM) *
The only problem I have with that is I don't think Shane's got the speed to box with Mayweather. Zab (I can't believe I'm saying this) is probably the only guy Mayweather ever fougth that is faster than him, hence his eraly success, that and I don't think he likes southpaws, (certainly not as much as Hard Nard). I'm not sure if Shane can afford to get into a boxing match with Floyd.

Still I take your points and this is why it will be an interesting fight, I think at some point we're gonna get something that we don't expect to see.

The things i am counting on in my initial assessment are that shane has a two inch reach advantage on zab, meaning he can throw first as floyd tries to come into range, the fact that he has a faster brain than zab, and the chin advantage. Shane may not be as fast as floyd, or judah, but he is right up there in terms of speed. He can box, so long as he effectively uses that reach. The reach can offset the speed deficit if used correctly, and with his exceptional chin he can afford to counter punch with impunity

The problem with an in fighting strategy is that floyd will just skate away. And the problem with pressuring is floyds defence, he just avoids the pressure and counters. But if mosely holds back a little, and forces floyd to come forward more, he can capitalize in the holes created when floyd throws. Much like zabs counter which dropped floyd as he jabbed to the body. As good as floyd is, throwing punches opens defensive holes in anyones game.

Unfortunately, i dont see them using this strategy. I think they will make a mistake and try and make it a "rough" fight. This will fail
Byrd Man
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Well...

He fights him.

After exploring every other possible name, and then realizing once the pac fight went away, that he was up against a wall and HAD to fight someone with a "NAME" and who would be perceived as a threat.

Not because he wanted to fight him, necessarily.

If he wins, I'll congratulate him and say good job. But let's not kid ourselves that this is a prime Mosley here.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 30 2010, 02:15 AM) *
I'm fucking saying that shit NOW! That's the only reason that Floyd's agreed to this fight. I'm actually shocked it wasn't done for 2012 or 2013, to be honest.

If he wins, fine but it's not like it's a prime Mosley. He's pretty much delayed the shit out of most of the best of the Welters, so now he'll start fighting them and expect full credit for it.

What's he gonna wait for Cotto to get smashed again and then call him out?

Sounds just like what Calzaghe did with Hopkins and Jones. Just remember that an old faded Oscar lost a split decision to Mayweather. I think Oscar showed that Mayweather has trouble with true welters. This will be a great fight either way it goes. Shane has been out of the ring way to long so that is not going to be to his advantage. I think this will be a closer fight than most think ( I hope anyway).
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Boxingjunkie @ Jan 30 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Sounds just like what Calzaghe did with Hopkins and Jones. Just remember that an old faded Oscar lost a split decision to Mayweather. I think Oscar showed that Mayweather has trouble with true welters. This will be a great fight either way it goes. Shane has been out of the ring way to long so that is not going to be to his advantage. I think this will be a closer fight than most think ( I hope anyway).

Yeah the layoff is what irritates me. If he wasn't coming off a 15/16 month layoff, it'd be a different story. Because Mosely DID destroy Margo back last January, so while he's not in his prime, he IS still a damn good fighter.

I would have preferred him to have a fight against a decent guy in February, and then them fight in May or June.

But of course with the Jones Jr/Hopkins deal, we have seen what interim fights can do.

I dunno. As I said, I'll give Floyd credit for finally fighting Mosley, it's just hard to give him the ultimate credit for it considering the year and a half layoff just about.

We'll see how the fight goes.

And for the record, in matchups against Mosley/Marg/Cotto/Williams, it's very possible that Floyd beats every single one of those. And it wouldn't shock me if he beat all of them in their prime. People shouldn't mistake my disdain for Floyd due to his asshole attitude and disrespect of his fellow fighters, as me not respecting his skills/abilities.

There's a lot of fighters, who are flat out beasts, but I can't stand them.
Provo209
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 30 2010, 02:09 PM) *
For PBF to do this he has to hit Shane with one shot and as you've also said yourself PBF doesn't really possess that kinda power. So the alternative is PBF has to hit Shane with a bunch of shots which means getting into the killzone. Again I highly doubt PBF is willing to do that at ANY stage of the fight with Mosley.

Interesting you seem to be a big Mayweather fan but apparently have no idea of how he fights.

LoL ! Shane gets careless and leaves himself open ! A left hook will eassily land for Floyd .I said I wouldn't be surprised yes ,Shane behind on the scorecards and trying to go for the kill ,Mayweathers style frustrates his opponents ! And in boxing one shot can end your night ! Hatton said after that fight Floyd wasn't the hardest puncher he fought ,but because of hattons no defense and careless that he is got slept by a left hook...
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 30 2010, 07:42 PM) *
And for the record, in matchups against Mosley/Marg/Cotto/Williams, it's very possible that Floyd beats every single one of those. And it wouldn't shock me if he beat all of them in their prime. People shouldn't mistake my disdain for Floyd due to his asshole attitude and disrespect of his fellow fighters, as me not respecting his skills/abilities.

There's a lot of fighters, who are flat out beasts, but I can't stand them.

Exactly how I see it also. I just wonder how Floyd will react to a true welter is fast and has great power. I have to think of the Oscar fight where Floyd barely escaped with a split decision.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 30 2010, 07:27 PM) *
After exploring every other possible name, and then realizing once the pac fight went away, that he was up against a wall and HAD to fight someone with a "NAME" and who would be perceived as a threat.

Not because he wanted to fight him, necessarily.

If he wins, I'll congratulate him and say good job. But let's not kid ourselves that this is a prime Mosley here.

HUH?

You do know that Mosley was tied up with Berto up until week ago right?

Floyd targeted Pacquiao and once Pac bitched out Floyd started looking else where. The only names that were considered were Cinton, Bradley and Campbell. Mosley became free to fight and Floyd made the fight immediately. I don't see how that is considered "exploring every other possible name".
D-MARV
And for the record...

I understand that this is a Shane that is near the end of his career but he's still better than anybody Pacquiao has fought since the FIRST Morales fight.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Boxingjunkie @ Jan 30 2010, 08:57 PM) *
Exactly how I see it also. I just wonder how Floyd will react to a true welter is fast and has great power. I have to think of the Oscar fight where Floyd barely escaped with a split decision.

You NEED to re watch the Mayweather -De La Hoya fight my man. Mayweather CLEARLY gave Oscar a boxing lesson at Oscars comfortable weight. Don't let the decision trick you into thinking that was a close fight. I have watched that fight several times and come up with a clear 8-4 win for Mayweather.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Jan 30 2010, 09:39 PM) *
HUH?

You do know that Mosley was tied up with Berto up until week ago right?

Floyd targeted Pacquiao and once Pac bitched out Floyd started looking else where. The only names that were considered were Cinton, Bradley and Campbell. Mosley became free to fight and Floyd made the fight immediately. I don't see how that is considered "exploring every other possible name".

When the name 'Matthew Hatton' even vaguely comes up then you are exploring every option laugh.gif

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Provo209 @ Jan 30 2010, 08:51 PM) *
LoL ! Shane gets careless and leaves himself open ! A left hook will eassily land for Floyd .I said I wouldn't be surprised yes ,Shane behind on the scorecards and trying to go for the kill ,Mayweathers style frustrates his opponents ! And in boxing one shot can end your night ! Hatton said after that fight Floyd wasn't the hardest puncher he fought ,but because of hattons no defense and careless that he is got slept by a left hook...

Yeah but PBF won't be the hardest puncher Shane has ever faced, not by a long shot. I don't care how sloppy Shane gets no way does PBF get him out of there by KO.
D-MARV
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jan 30 2010, 08:59 PM) *
When the name 'Matthew Hatton' even vaguely comes up then you are exploring every option laugh.gif

Ellerbe said that he was NEVER an option...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 30 2010, 08:20 PM) *
The things i am counting on in my initial assessment are that shane has a two inch reach advantage on zab, meaning he can throw first as floyd tries to come into range, the fact that he has a faster brain than zab, and the chin advantage. Shane may not be as fast as floyd, or judah, but he is right up there in terms of speed. He can box, so long as he effectively uses that reach. The reach can offset the speed deficit if used correctly, and with his exceptional chin he can afford to counter punch with impunity

The problem with an in fighting strategy is that floyd will just skate away. And the problem with pressuring is floyds defence, he just avoids the pressure and counters. But if mosely holds back a little, and forces floyd to come forward more, he can capitalize in the holes created when floyd throws. Much like zabs counter which dropped floyd as he jabbed to the body. As good as floyd is, throwing punches opens defensive holes in anyones game.

Unfortunately, i dont see them using this strategy. I think they will make a mistake and try and make it a "rough" fight. This will fail

I'm not so sure about the speed thing. Cotto looked quicker than Mosley when they fought which sure as hell surprised me and I don't think Shane even looked that quick against Mayo. Yeah against Marg he looked real speedy, but then it's hard not to look quick against that lumbering moose.

I've never really rated Mosley's jab so whether that can become a factor aginst someone as skilled and quick as Floyd remains debatable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.