Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@8 PM (CST) SPOILERS @8:15 Valero vs. Demarco
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all pre-fight comments, on-going action, and post-fight reactions, to tonight's WBC Lightweight Title Fight.

Jack

Administrator
Jack 1000
Valero by TKO 8. But I have a feeling that both will be swinging for the fences and a lot of give and take punches will happen before it ends.

Demarco is good, but I don't think good enough to beat Valero.

Jack
JLUVBABY
this is a hard fight to call cuzz valero has such a question mark... tho ive been hearing about him for years now... the guys a gym legend...
salvador
From what little I've seen of Valero, he's exciting but he's also slow and a bit sloppy. Both guys are stepping up in class here and so you never know what each is really bringing to the table, but DeMarco is a 5'10" southpaw lightweight with a 72" reach and if he commits to the jab and uses his feet, it's easy to imagine this being a very competitive fight. (It's almost like the Funeka-Guzman set up.)

That said, it looks like Showtime is banking on Valero's star power here and they probably know something I don't. Valero by ko in 5.
D-MARV
Demarco will take Valero into deep waters. I'm not sure how Valero will respond though. That is what makes this fight so damn interesting. Im going with Demarco by late stoppage.
BigG
Valero in 6 or under
The CEO
I wouldn't bet money on it, but I chose DeMarco by TKO8 tonight...all he has to do is keep his cool, pick his spots, and throw 'em straight....
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 6 2010, 03:55 PM) *
I wouldn't bet money on it, but I chose DeMarco by TKO8 tonight...all he has to do is keep his cool, pick his spots, and throw 'em straight....

Just how I see it.

The key is how well Demarco responds to Valero's attack early. If it goes past 5, I don't see Valero lasting.
mexi-cutioner
Valero by stoppage in 8, this is by far his toughest test since he fought Vicent Mosquera 4 or 5 years back
Imperius3
Other than his power, I haven't been that impressed with Valero. DeMarco has a much better foundation. I think DeMarco will win a very clear decision tonight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Valero is sloppy but he has speed and power. That might be enough against a guy like Demarco who doesn't have either of those attributes. Valero showed in the Mosquera fight that he can keep his power going as the fight goes on. I think he beats Demarco tonight by KO.
Imperius3
^^

DeMarco actually has pretty decent power.
D-MARV
Valero has good Power... But his speed is OVERRATED.
Fitz
Is his speed overrated? To me he is as slow as. Still waiting to be impressed by Valero, from what I have seen he is ordinary and a hype job.
Rivado
Have never seen either of these two in the ring but have heard of Valero's power. I can't call it except by that. Valero by TKO.
Spyder
Let's go DeMarco!!!

Beat Dougie Fischer's boy's ASS!!!
JLUVBABY
its fight time.. the telecast is on... we are bout to find out the truth about valero...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 6 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Let's go DeMarco!!!

Beat Dougie Fischer's boy's ASS!!!

fishers been high on valero for years...
JLUVBABY
is it just me or does abregu look and have the fighting stance of vitali klit?... lol...
salvador
I think Abregu-Guiterrez is looking like a serious contender for fight of the year. This is incredible.
Mean Mister Mustard
Chaaat rooom people.
salvador
Abregu-Klit was a good comparison. they're both awkward, but they both get all their weight/leverage behind just about every punch.

My office is too far from my tv for chat.
salvador
Abregu-Guiterrez should be remembered first and foremost as a case study in why open scoring should be banned. What a disappointing 10th round.
Imperius3
That cut is to the bone...
Imperius3
Okay, Valero did impress me tonight. He is a more complete fighter than I realized. Excellent combinations, and his defense wasn't bad either.

Valero, you have my respect.
Spyder
Yeah. Dougie's boy brought it tonight.
The CEO
I am still NOT impressed...Valero's punches are wide and not that fast...he keeps his hands down too much for that style...and as was shown by the way DeMarco reacted, his punching power is NOT extraordinary at Lightweight...his accuracy was nothing special as well...

DeMarco seemed to lose it AFTER the accidental elbow in the 2nd...he gave Valero way too much respect after that incident...his in ring behavior was really bizarre to me...

It does have to be mentioned that DeMarco also looked sickly backstage...he had a pale, Jaundiced (Yellow) tone...I know some of y'all had to notice that...

All in all....yeah....Valero showed some above average skills with knowledge of distance and footwork....but like I've said before, he's basically a more refined version of Ponce De Leon...I don't see anything "great" about him.....now or in the future...

Which is why I can't BELIEVE how much Bernstein was on his nuts.....saying he won every round (among MANY other various praises)...lol...I had it like Press Row...giving DeMarco 2 rounds, including the 1st....

I see him getting blasted the fuck out against a smart, strong boxer/puncher at their best.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 6 2010, 11:28 PM) *
I am still NOT impressed...Valero's punches are wide and not that fast...he keeps his hands down too much for that style...and as was shown by the way DeMarco reacted, his punching power is NOT extraordinary at Lightweight...his accuracy was nothing special as well...

DeMarco seemed to lose it AFTER the accidental elbow in the 2nd...he gave Valero way too much respect after that incident...his in ring behavior was really bizarre to me...

It does have to be mentioned that DeMarco also looked sickly backstage...he had a pale, Jaundiced (Yellow) tone...I know some of y'all had to notice that...

All in all....yeah....Valero showed some above average skills with knowledge of distance and footwork....but like I've said before, he's basically a more refined version of Ponce De Leon...I don't see anything "great" about him.....now or in the future...

Which is why I can't BELIEVE how much Bernstein was on his nuts.....saying he won every round (among MANY other various praises)...lol...I had it like Press Row...giving DeMarco 2 rounds, including the 1st....

I see him getting blasted the fuck out against a smart, strong boxer/puncher at their best.

Im not as critical as you are in regards to Valero's performance but I saw some flaws in this fight. All Demarco had to do was Jab... That could have been a very easy fight for him if he just jabbed. Valero holds his hands down far too low. I give Valero credit fo this fight because I didn't think he would win so easily. I think Valero is the goods and would love to see him in there with a Funeka or Soto.
Romulus9
QUOTE (salvador @ Feb 6 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Abregu-Guiterrez should be remembered first and foremost as a case study in why open scoring should be banned. What a disappointing 10th round.

The WBC absolutely blows.

The open scoring bullshit and the accidental foul scoring rule bullshit.

Throw in Sulaiman's history of bullshit and what you have is the WBC!

Ugh.
Romulus9
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 6 2010, 11:28 PM) *

Darchinyan.

Donaire.

KTFO.

Same deal.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 6 2010, 10:28 PM) *

you could be very right or hes one of those guys that get away with being unorthodox in his fighting style...
kidbazooka1
Valero impressed me tonight he fought a much more controled fight than usual.

With the exception of JMM i don't see anyone at 135 beating Valero but i do see Soto giving him a helluva fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 7 2010, 02:19 AM) *
I would love to see Valero v The Funeka Monster.

Valero would KTFO of Funeka.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 7 2010, 02:38 AM) *

Maybe, but The Funeka Monster deserves the opportunity.

And I think he could do what DeMarco should have; cut him to ribbons and bust him up.
Imperius3
What impressed me the most was how Valero fought through that cut. That was a huge gash, and he fought through it like it was nothing. He was the ring general the whole time.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Feb 6 2010, 11:24 PM) *
The WBC absolutely blows.

The open scoring bullshit and the accidental foul scoring rule bullshit.

Throw in Sulaiman's history of bullshit and what you have is the WBC!

Ugh.

I've hated it for years! The Association of Boxing Commissions overruled Open Scoring and the mandated point deduction for accidental fouls in the States. The same with Great Britain and several other countries. Japan for some ungodly reason seems to like it. Just to illustrate how Open Scoring fucks up a fight, I was almost tempted to not even wait for the decision in the first fight. I mean we know who won? Why read the scores? Open Scoring should be overturned by every boxing jurisdiction in the world!

I don't mind instant replay so long as it does not detract from the action in the fight. Not enough people are compainning about the Open Scoring and they should from all fronts. IT SUCKS!

Good preliminary! I did give Valero every round though. Demarco just did not do enough.

Jack
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 7 2010, 04:42 AM) *
I've hated it for years! The Association of Boxing Commissions overruled Open Scoring and the mandated point deduction for accidental fouls in the States. The same with Great Britain and several other countries. Japan for some ungodly reason seems to like it. Just to illustrate how Open Scoring fucks up a fight, I was almost tempted to not even wait for the decision in the first fight. I mean we know who won? Why read the scores? Open Scoring should be overturned by every boxing jurisdiction in the world!

I don't mind instant replay so long as it does not detract from the action in the fight. Not enough people are compainning about the Open Scoring and they should from all fronts. IT SUCKS!

Good preliminary! I did give Valero every round though. Demarco just did not do enough.

Jack

I just don't understand what open scoring is supposed to accomplish. Is it an attempt to make it harder for a corrupt judge to make it out of the venue alive? Therefore each judge is more likely to be honest or stick with the crowd.

If it makes it any less likely that judges get away with obviously fraudulent cards, I am for it.

Why not have five judges and throw out the two scores most weighted to each fighter? Why not give every fan in the venue a chance to vote electronically, like in a game show?

You see where I am going.

The WBC rules can definitely effect the strategy of a fight, based on what we witnessed last night. Valero was pumped by the fact that he was far ahead and if the fight would have been stopped as a result of the gash he knew the outcome. I think DeMarco was effected the opposite way. By round five he was desperate. By round seven he had given up. Why come out for round ten?

Valero was impressive against a young man who seemed to have no bullets in the chamber last night. Valero deserves a big payday. I would love to see him mix it up with JMM.
salvador
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 7 2010, 02:38 AM) *

I'm not at all sure of that.

If I was managing Valero I'd put him in against Casamayor next. Valero was impressive from a warrior point of view last night, but his skills could still using some fine tuning and an aging Casamayor would be an excellent match for him. Then I'd put him in with Katsidis and insist it was prime time HBO or Showtime for the fireworks, then I'd put him in with the top guys like Funeka, JMM or Diaz.

Provo209
I though Valero looked preety good he still has some flaws,his defense is getting better ,he's explosive and he's starting to be more patient which will benefit him, he was getting hit with that Jab but demarco was also 5'10 .
Valero displayed heart last night I think 140 and down he's going to be tuff to beat he's hungry.
Rperez
I really didn't see the best of Valero last night, also didn't see the best of Demarco, that kid Demarco has been a dominator and expected a better fight from both of them period.

Also any guru's, who is promoting Valero these days? I thought it was golden boy, now seems Gary Shaw or TopRank?
kidbazooka1
Demarco is sitll very young he should learn from this loss he'll be back IMO.
KookedKrack
That fucking cut was nasty, I thought all that blood loss would have took a toll on Valero's stamina but that dude is an animal. He would make an interesting match up for everyone @ 135 except for Marquez. Marquez would expose his lack of defense.
BigG
Valero is a fucking savage he even looks the part he looks like he belongs in some latin tribe he looks like a fuckin caveman that belongs in the wild. He's the real deal folks....he'll beat everyone except Joan Guzman at 135...and if Marquez decides to come back down he'll hand Valero his ass as well. But other than that Valero will clean house EASILY...
JLUVBABY
i read arum is talking of matching valero with bradley... not sure thats a good idea...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 7 2010, 06:23 PM) *
That fucking cut was nasty, I thought all that blood loss would have took a toll on Valero's stamina but that dude is an animal. He would make an interesting match up for everyone @ 135 except for Marquez. Marquez would expose his lack of defense.

cooked im not so sure bout that... the tenacity valero showed last night was impressive.. if he's hitting marquez like juan diaz was hitting him and rocking him i think he can get marquez out of there too... plus i think marquez is past his better days...
KookedKrack
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 7 2010, 11:17 PM) *
cooked im not so sure bout that... the tenacity valero showed last night was impressive.. if he's hitting marquez like juan diaz was hitting him and rocking him i think he can get marquez out of there too... plus i think marquez is past his better days...

I agree that Marquez might be past his better days but still has the skill/experience/ring smarts and counter punching that would give Valero all types of problems. Valero is like a bootleg less skilled Pacq and Marquez has tamed that style from a far better fighter imo.
Al Hata

Valero takes them all at 135. The guy is a beast who is only going to get better. Marquez and Guzman is who I wanna see him fight.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BigG @ Feb 7 2010, 08:25 PM) *
Valero is a fucking savage he even looks the part he looks like he belongs in some latin tribe he looks like a fuckin caveman that belongs in the wild. He's the real deal folks....he'll beat everyone except Joan Guzman at 135...and if Marquez decides to come back down he'll hand Valero his ass as well. But other than that Valero will clean house EASILY...

I have not been impressed with Guzman in recent outings. I don't know if he may be over-rated or if I just did not see enough of him early in his career. If it's the Guzman who was clearly beaten by Funeka and two blind mice had that fight as a draw, Valero will mop the floor with him. If it's the earlier versions of Guzman who was supposed to be really good, probably not.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 7 2010, 09:15 PM) *
i read arum is talking of matching valero with bradley... not sure thats a good idea...

Bradley makes anyone look bad, win or lose. This fight should not happen because of this. We need to see Valero continue to build up momentum a little bit more.

Jack
Jack 1000
You can contract the WBC about the concerns of Open Scoring through e-mail:

contact@wbcboxing.com

If you are professional in your communications they will respond to community feedback. It seems that most boxing fans are at the very least uncomfortable with Open Scoring and if you oppose it you can use last night's fight's as an example, in addition to Mormek-Bell II, Sam Peter appearing to quit against Vitali Klitscko. I have always gotten a response from them. In fact, my concern was to keep it as an optional rule, but in the three years since its passage at the WBC Convention in 2006, I fail to see any fight where Open Scoring has worked better with it in effect than without it. Mauricio Suliman was very helpful in addressing my concerns and sent them to Jose he said. But in the study over time, (I sent that e-mail about two years ago,) the open scoring system seems to be creating more problems than it solves.

Give them feedback on this issue. Oh and just to strike a balance, I am very supportive of the Instant Replay Rule. I told them this as well. I think Instant Replay is very good for boxing, provided that the review does not detract too much time from the live flow and rythum of the fight.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.