Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boxing writer mike silver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
interesting interview i found this morning... sorry if you guys have read it all ready but i found it very interesting... its a long read but worth the time... let me know what you think... talks about the sport and basically compares the fighters of today compared to yesterdys fighters etc.. the guy makes some valid points in his interview...

arc of boxing interview
SmartyBeardo
Great interview. Definitely want to read that book.

The obvious question that comes to mind is if boxers fought nearly twice a month, when did they train? OJT no doubt. But, is it possible that the opposite of Mike Silver's argument is also plausible?

Were boxers worked to death in those days? If a prime Hopkins were dropped from the future into the 50s, 40s or 30s, is it possible that he would dominate BECAUSE of modern training techniques and less wear and tear?

Is it possible that the frequency of fights suggests that most of those fights were little more than sparring matches for the first 30 or so matches?

I believe that you can read a lot into Silver's thought process by his responses to the Manny Sue v PBF situation.

The argument that people have been dumbed down relative to boxing is counter intuitive at best. We know much more about the damage done by repeated blows to the cabeza these days. Of course less young men are likely to choose boxing as a profession. Of course professional boxers fight less fights and rounds. When you talk about the arc of boxing, medical, psychological and athletic research may be contributing factors that suggest that the arc has NOT reached its zenith.

But what do I know?
MarzB
Great read and I'll definitely get this. He shared some observations that I've had especially when he was able to recognize the level of skill of the opposition by just watching a few things.

I wish "doghouse" would do some paragraph spacing though, that was hard to read. But definitely very informative.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 7 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Great interview. Definitely want to read that book.

Were boxers worked to death in those days? If a prime Hopkins were dropped from the future into the 50s, 40s or 30s, is it possible that he would dominate BECAUSE of modern training techniques and less wear and tear?

good question beardo.. i would answer that by saying im sure he meant had hopkins fought in those times with the training available at that time... ive thought about the same thing tho.. i side with silver in the fact that those guys fought a lot more fights back then before making it to the big shows.. but the argument can be made that maybe they didnt have the amature a lot of these guys have today (as you said o.j.t...)... but a good read... i enjoy reading or hearing perspectives rather i agree or not...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 7 2010, 06:38 PM) *
good question beardo.. i would answer that by saying im sure he meant had hopkins fought in those times with the training available at that time... ive thought about the same thing tho.. i side with silver in the fact that those guys fought a lot more fights back then before making it to the big shows.. but the argument can be made that maybe they didnt have the amature a lot of these guys have today (as you said o.j.t...)... but a good read... i enjoy reading or hearing perspectives rather i agree or not...

Absolutely. I've already ordered it.
KookedKrack
shok.gif So much information in that interview, I definitely need to pick that book up. Smarty you emailed him or do they have it on amazon?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 7 2010, 09:13 PM) *
shok.gif So much information in that interview, I definitely need to pick that book up. Smarty you emailed him or do they have it on amazon?

I went with Amazon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.