Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's your favorite fighters (currently active)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I've never really followed boxing like I have other sports, in the sense of having specific favorites. And to be honest, I've never really done that with other sports either, but I tend to follow them more. Perhaps because other sports seem to be higher profile in the media, or they're played more often, or whatever.

I usually have one or two players I like, but it's usually more about the team than the individuals, although Dale Murphy is was and always will be my favorite baseball player.

That said, I figured I'd list a couple of fighters that are active that I enjoy watching fight/follow their progress for whatever reasons.

1. Nonito Donaire.
2. Timothy Bradley
3. Edwin Valero (just recently)

I don't know exactly why I started following them and all. Bradley it was probably a year or two ago, and I started wondering if he would ever end up fighting Floyd. I'd still love to see that fight. Nonito I remember from SweetChuck doing interviews with him years back on another site, and I thought back then that this guy really had what it takes to be a star in the sport.

Valero, I admit I've just been learning about him. Dude's a beast, but he's fairly vulnerable right now if he gets in with someone like Manny, as some have suggested. I think Manny would eat him alive. Valero needs to get a bit better at the defense, not hold his hands down so low. Ask Roy what happens when you do that too long. lol

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I guess it's no surprise, James Toney.

Honourable mentions: Manny, Mosley. Gamboa. Hopkins. Bradley. I've only seen a few fights of Gamboa and Bradley but I like what they do in the ring.

I'd say Mayorga but I don't really like his fights just his press conferences, ha ha.

Rivado
Vitali

Pacman

Soto

Mosley

and ditto on Valero
Rivado
add Gamboa

Gamboa would KTFO JuanMa Lopez, IMO
Fitz
Hopkins, Cotto and Darchinyan.
Fitz
Other fights that are rising but would like to see more and still early is Bute and Gamboa, and Katsidis is another honourable mention.
D-MARV
Paul Williams and Erislandy Lara
kidbazooka1
Pacqiuao
JuanMa
Marquez brothers
Gamboa
Donaire
Valero

And keep an eye out for undefeated Bantam Chris Avalos this kid can bang.
BigG
Hopkins
Judah (been a fan since way back)
Montiel
Cotto
Ward (been following him since his day 1)
Penalosa
Marqeuz Brothers
Morales (since he is now an active fighter)
Gamboa
Malignaggi
STEVENSKI
Pac, Darchinyan no one else really gets me excited these days.
Keith
Shane Mosley

Kelly Pavlik. I know I'll catch shit for that one.

Arthur Abraham

Miguel Cotto
Romulus9
Until he officially retires: Marco Antonio Barrera

Pacquiao

Mosley

Tim Bradley (an absolute consummate professional)

Roy Jones

Yuriorkis Gamboa

Nate Campbell

Honorable Mention: Breidis Prescott (because he destroyed Amir Khan)
jvo1800
1)Roy Jones Jr. (STILL POUND 4 POUND THE BADDEST THROWING DOWN)

2)Floyd Mayweather

3)Bernard Hopkins

4)Winky Wright

5)Andre Ward
alaganza
Emanuel Augustus
Glen Johnson
James Toney
mexi-cutioner
Manny Pacquiao

Roy Jones Jr.

Nonito Donaire

Honorable Mention: Yuriorkis Gamboa, Edwin Valero

Lil-lightsout
Wlad Klit
Vitali Klit
John Duddy
Kelly Pavlik
Paul Spadafora
Danny Greene
Michael Katsidas
Frans Botha
Carl Froch
Mikkel Kessler
Yuri Foreman

Past favs were:
Mancini, Lalonde, Haugen, Pazienza, Gamache, Marciano, Cobb.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Any fighters who are over 220lbs.

Anything less than a real Heavyweight is like watching midget wrestling.
Spyder
The Buffalo likes his men meaty!

laugh.gif
Maxy
David Haye
Carl Froch
James Toney

TBH though I'm going through a phase where I'm struggling to find favourite fighters....
Douchebag
Lara

Dimitrius Andrade

JuanMa

Sergio Martinez

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 15 2010, 10:57 AM) *
David Haye
Carl Froch
James Toney

Same here.

Throw in Mosley, Pac, the Kiltschko bro's and Hopkins.
Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 15 2010, 03:50 PM) *
The Buffalo likes his men meaty!

laugh.gif

LMAO. WTF.
Snoop
Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez. Two stand up dudes that don't give a shit and just fight. We need more boxers to follow their example.

Yuriorkis Gamboa. He's gonna be a baaaaaaaaaaaad dude.

Miguel Cotto. Always seems to be getting shafted in all the big fights, but has enough dignity to not make excuses. Gotta respect character and class like that.

Bernard Hopkins. You just don't fuck with people like him.
HaydelHammer
Paul Williams

Miguel Cotto

Shane Mosley

Gamboa

Andre Ward

..and last but not least .....KEVIN JOHNSON!!! This guy is the future of heavyweight boxing. Never a dull moment in his matches.

Romulus9
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Feb 15 2010, 09:55 PM) *
Paul Williams

Miguel Cotto

Shane Mosley

Gamboa

Andre Ward

..and last but not least .....KEVIN JOHNSON!!! This guy is the future of heavyweight boxing. Never a dull moment in his matches.

I'm always a huge fan of sarcasm.

Well done.
Provo209
Favorite Boxer Floyd Mayweather JR.

Other fighters that I like-Edwin Valero
Timothy Bradley
Gamboa
Chad Dawson
Andre Berto"I love his Right uppercut" LOL
Snoop
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Feb 16 2010, 02:55 AM) *
Paul Williams

Miguel Cotto

Shane Mosley

Gamboa

Andre Ward

Kevin Johnson is the master at looking mean without actually doing anything.
salvador
Gamboa
Valero
Darchinyan
Williams
kingknockout
1. Mayweather/Mosley

2. Gamboa

3. Lopez

4. Lamont Peterson

5. Zab Judah (ducks)
SmartyBeardo
1. The Pudgy Russian

2. Ben Henderson

3. JMM

4. SMartinez

5. The Funeka Monster

6. Bradley

7. Abraham

8. Mosley

9. Bute

10. Gamboa
Douchebag
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 16 2010, 10:30 PM) *
1. The Pudgy Russian

2. Ben Henderson

3. JMM

4. SMartinez

5. The Funeka Monster

6. Bradley

7. Abraham

8. Mosley

9. Bute

10. Gamboa

Top contender at best. He will get exposed soon enough.
MarzB
Mayweather, Hopkins, Devon Alexander, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Winky Wright, James Toney, David Haye, Sergio Martinez, Cory Spinks, Nate Campbell, Timothy Bradley
Douchebag
QUOTE (MarzB @ Feb 17 2010, 09:00 AM) *
Mayweather, Hopkins, Devon Alexander, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Winky Wright, James Toney, David Haye, Sergio Martinez, Cory Spinks, Nate Campbell, Timothy Bradley

surprised Chad Dawson didn't make your list.
MarzB
Me too now that you say that. I respect his skills but there's how can I say a certain panache (sp?) thats missing from Chad. He seems lifeless IMO.

Also, I think Chad can be lulled into a dog fight with someone and I think he'd lose. If I'm not mistaken didn't Adamek put him down??On an aside, I've been watching a lot of Asian boxing lately and I'm really enjoying these guys skills. Their defenses generally suck but their hands speed is phenomenal.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 17 2010, 07:59 AM) *
Top contender at best. He will get exposed soon enough.

You are probably correct but the question was not "who do you think are the best active fighters?"

The Funeka Monster exposed and hosed Guzman. TFM deserves some respect and another good payday. I'd love to see him given the opportunity to do the same with Valero. It might work out differently, but Funeka deserves the chance.

In fact, I'm not sure Valero's people even want to go there. Too much risk.
MarzB
That dude is a freak no doubt and will not only presents problems because of his freakish stature but he has legimate boxing skills. I'm amazed at how a dude with that frame can weight in at 135lb with no problem. No disrespect but he needs to get an American trainer if he wants to go to the next level though.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (MarzB @ Feb 17 2010, 10:59 AM) *
That dude is a freak no doubt and will not only presents problems because of his freakish stature but he has legimate boxing skills. I'm amazed at how a dude with that frame can weight in at 135lb with no problem. No disrespect but he needs to get an American trainer if he wants to go to the next level though.

I can't disagree with you there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.