Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe Calzaghe vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Rivado
If Mayweather never fought again and each fighter's records and accomplishments now set in stone for the history books, how would you rank one over the other?

Their careers are similar, your thoughts?
torvix2000
Well, I guess Cal is above. The "Mosquito Punch" is a better contribution to boxing than the "expose-the-back-of-your-head-for-defense".
KookedKrack
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:13 PM) *
Well, I guess Cal is above. The "Mosquito Punch" is a better contribution to boxing than the "expose-the-back-of-your-head-for-defense".

dry.gif

Simply Amazing.
D-MARV
Hatred makes you say some STUPID shit. Anybody who puts Calzaghe over Floyd is plain fucking stupid.
Snoop
LMAO is this thread forreal? More importantly, is Torvix forreal?
blackbelt2003
LMAO. Calzaghe, who has had THREE world title fights his whole career, above Floyd Mayweather?

GTFOH.

Floyd is top thirty since WWII.

Calzaghe struggles to break top 100, he has the weakest resume of a 'P4P' fighter I've ever seen.

Black
Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 14 2010, 05:32 AM) *
LMAO. Calzaghe, who has had THREE world title fights his whole career, above Floyd Mayweather?

GTFOH.

Calzaghe struggles to break top 100, he has the weakest resume of a 'P4P' fighter I've ever seen.

Black

I don't think he's anyway, shape or form, top 30 since world war II. His skill set might suggest he could be but his resume is far too weak for such a lofty rating.

However, he's obviously achieved far more than Calzaghe so there really isn't a debate to have over who should be ranked higher.
AussieLad
Tell me, who beat calzaghe....?

clapping.gif

Answer the question

clapping.gif

Answer the question

clapping.gif

Answer the question

clapping.gif

All them other guys got losses

He for real, Calzaghe never been beat

That makes him greatest of all time. He probably respects what sugar ray robinson did for the sport, but without Calzaghe boxing is dead

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 14 2010, 10:32 AM) *

GTFOH.

Black

Black has been hitting the cheap Tesco's cider again. Top 30 my arse hairs.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 14 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Black has been hitting the cheap Tesco's cider again. Top 30 my arse hairs.

I actually thought I was gonna get flamed for putting him too low. I underestimated the pure hate on this board, sorry Steve, won't happen again.

Floyd is top 30 since Iraq War.

Is that better?

Black
torvix2000
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Feb 14 2010, 12:33 PM) *
All them other guys got losses

He for real, Calzaghe never been beat

That makes him greatest of all time. He probably respects what sugar ray robinson did for the sport, but without Calzaghe boxing is dead

Floydish. Hahaha!
The CEO
Let's put it this way...

The Lil' Floyd of today could beat a prime Joe Calzaghe...AT 168.
torvix2000
Kinda like the lil FLoyd of today will beat a Williams at 154.
The CEO
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Feb 14 2010, 09:41 AM) *

I didn't say "will"....I said "could"....so while we're there....yes....he most definitely could beat Williams at 154 as well...
Spyder
I'd say that Floyd has a better shot at beating Williams than he would Calzaghe. For all the shit we talk about Joe, he has fast hands, and throws a shit load of punches. He's also a pretty smart boxer.

Williams is merely a volume puncher with extraordinarily long arms...
Maxy
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 14 2010, 09:34 AM) *
Let's put it this way...

The Lil' Floyd of today could beat a prime Joe Calzaghe...AT 168.

Ludicrous!!!

Floyd's balls are as small as Joe's.
ROLL DEEP
Calzaghe, much like Floyd, didn't NEED to fight anyone beacause he would've just beat them anyway.

So, any of the names that he didn't fight (Johnson, Tarver, Dawson, Jones/Hopkins when they weren't 462 years old) doesn't matter because he probably would've beaten them with a swift 5th or 6th round KO anyway.
D-MARV
It's funny that nobody seems to give Calzaghe credit for beating an "old" Hopkins yet those same people likely had Hopkins in the top 3 P4P ratings...

Calzaghe deserves credit for the Hopkins win. It wasn't pretty but he "CLEARLY" beat Hopkins IMO. Calzaghe had a GOOD Career but was it better than Lil' Floyd's? HELL NO!
lloyd mayflower
This is funny cos I actually compared the two in a thread last week when i went on an anti Mayweather fanboy rant and no one bit!
KookedKrack
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 11:31 AM) *
It wasn't pretty but he "CLEARLY" beat Hopkins IMO. Calzaghe had a GOOD Career but was it better than Lil' Floyd's? HELL NO!

thumbsdown_anim.gif

Plenty of people had Hopkins winning or a draw. There was nothing clear about that win.

D-MARV
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 14 2010, 01:23 PM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif

Plenty of people had Hopkins winning or a draw. There was nothing clear about that win.

That's why I put "IMO"...

I watched the fight 3 times and there was no way I could give that fight to Hopkins. But that is besides the point... Floyd>Calzaghe
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 12:26 PM) *
That's why I put "IMO"...

I watched the fight 3 times and there was no way I could give that fight to Hopkins. But that is besides the point... Floyd>Calzaghe

i didnt think hopkins won that fight either stylez... i would like to be able to say i did but i didnt...
JLUVBABY
on another note and i didnt want to make a new thread on this so im putting it here but... is it just me or is it starting to look like juanma and his people dont want no parts of gamboa?... they are tripping now... another double header... gamboa is in against caballero which might be good but this fight needs to get made next after this or it in my eyes will be apparent that juan manuel lopez or shall i say his people are running scared of gamboa...
Provo209
You gotta give Calzaghee credit for his wins against Hopkins and Roy he beat 2 of boxing biggest names , shit its not his fault he beat to old ass fighters that don't know when to walk away..

And Calzaghee carrer is no where close to Floyd Mayweather! Floyd has had a way better carrer than Calzaghee and Haters don't give me that shit that he's avoided fighters .he takes the biggest fights that are out there.
D-MARV
I don't give Calzaghe credit for the Jones Victory. Roy was beyond past it and you would be hard pressed to find many people who ranked Roy in the top 40 when that fight took place. If you want to credit Calzaghe for that fight then you have rank Danny Green above Calzaghe...LOL
blackbelt2003
hops may have been p4p ranked when calzaghe won, and joe may have deserved the win, but both men looked like shit, and it was one of two good wins on calzaghe's career. Two good wins don't make a great career.

Black
Provo209
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 12:19 PM) *
I don't give Calzaghe credit for the Jones Victory. Roy was beyond past it and you would be hard pressed to find many people who ranked Roy in the top 40 when that fight took place. If you want to credit Calzaghe for that fight then you have rank Danny Green above Calzaghe...LOL

LOL I don't mean just that fight ,I mean Hopkins and Roy fight both of them and he basically ended Jeff lacys carrer 2 .
D-MARV
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 14 2010, 03:23 PM) *
hops may have been p4p ranked when calzaghe won, and joe may have deserved the win, but both men looked like shit, and it was one of two good wins on calzaghe's career. Two good wins don't make a great career.

Black

Agreed.
Provo209
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 14 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Black

I totally agree ! The reason he gets ranked so high is cause Hopkins and Roy are future hall of famers other than that he didn't do shit .yeah they were old ,but its not his fault that 2 of boxing greats don't know when 2 walk away from the sport of boxing.
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 15 2010, 03:31 AM) *
It's funny that nobody seems to give Calzaghe credit for beating an "old" Hopkins yet those same people likely had Hopkins in the top 3 P4P ratings...

Calzaghe deserves credit for the Hopkins win. It wasn't pretty but he "CLEARLY" beat Hopkins IMO. Calzaghe had a GOOD Career but was it better than Lil' Floyd's? HELL NO!

Exactly. I say the same thing. Doesn't matter whether you like Calzaghe or not, a win over Hopkins is impressive.
darroy
QUOTE (Provo209 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:52 PM) *
You gotta give Calzaghee credit for his wins against Hopkins and Roy he beat 2 of boxing biggest names , shit its not his fault he beat to old ass fighters that don't know when to walk away..

And Calzaghee carrer is no where close to Floyd Mayweather! Floyd has had a way better carrer than Calzaghee and Haters don't give me that shit that he's avoided fighters .he takes the biggest fights that are out there.

if you mean biggest MONEY fights then yes he has taken the biggest fights when little risk was there. for the first time in years he's taking a gamble now. he'll probably win but i give him credit for taking this fight when lots of others have doubted he would.
neophyte7
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 14 2010, 01:23 PM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif

I concur-- CALZAGHE DID NOTHING in my view to offset being knocked down... and honestly after watching some of the action slo mo-- Hops slipped alot of punches. No way in hell Calzaghe won clearly or impressively.

in my view ---HOPKINS WAS ROBBED FOR SAYING he would never let a "WHITE BOY" beat him ... Cal like a bich with his enemphatic win gloated to Hopkins how a white boy beat him LMAO-- funny shit-- Cal was unemphatic against a 42 year old- he does not measure up to mayweather in any category
D-MARV
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 14 2010, 06:59 PM) *
I concur-- CALZAGHE DID NOTHING in my view to offset being knocked down... and honestly after watching some of the action slo mo-- Hops slipped alot of punches. No way in hell Calzaghe won clearly or impressively.

in my view ---HOPKINS WAS ROBBED FOR SAYING he would never let a "WHITE BOY" beat him ... Cal like a bich with his enemphatic win gloated to Hopkins how a white boy beat him LMAO-- funny shit-- Cal was unemphatic against a 42 year old- he does not measure up to mayweather in any category

You're not the only one I heard say "Calzaghe did nothing to win that fight"... My question to you is what did Hopkins do to win that fight?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 14 2010, 12:54 PM) *
I actually thought I was gonna get flamed for putting him too low. I underestimated the pure hate on this board, sorry Steve, won't happen again.

Floyd is top 30 since Iraq War.

Is that better?

Black

I assume we are talking about Gulf War II right?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:41 PM) *

Yeah Venus Williams.
neophyte7
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 07:23 PM) *
You're not the only one I heard say "Calzaghe did nothing to win that fight"... My question to you is what did Hopkins do to win that fight?

My take----In a close fight... he scored the only knockdown... victory goes to Hopkins... I repeat-- I did not see Cal do enough to offset being knocked down...
Keith
The only thing we should be comparing about Floyd and Joe is the size of their pussy lips.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 15 2010, 01:53 AM) *
My take----In a close fight... he scored the only knockdown... victory goes to Hopkins... I repeat-- I did not see Cal do enough to offset being knocked down...

Hopkins lost more rounds than he won. It was 7-5 Calzaghe & this was scored by a guy looking to score rounds for Hopkins. I watched the fight 3 times & came up with the same score everytime.

If Hopkins actually followed up his knockdown instead of "pacing" himself he would have been a winner. But he was a loser & lost a close but very clear decision in my opinion.

I do like how he was unemphatic in beating a 42 year old Hopkins & does not measure up to PBF in any way.

Here is a news flash. Floyd's biggest ever win was a close split decision win over DLH which was not only unimpressive but unemphatic in every sense especially considering DLH was not a P4P fighter. Calzaghe got a close but clear win over a top 5 P4P champion & a fighter who at 45 is still considered a top 5 P4P fighter. Go figure.....
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 14 2010, 08:32 PM) *
Yeah Venus Williams.

Maybe Venus but I don't like his chances against Serena.
Fitz
I like Hopkins and is one of my favourite fighters, but a thing people forget to mention is that Calzaghe made Hopkins behave in a way we aren't used to seeing. We saw all the symptoms of a guy in a tough fight and doing anything to try get the referee on his side, getting points deducted.
Hopkins was exaggerating low blows to get points taken off Calzaghe and was complaining to the referee. They are classic moves from a guy that is in a tough fight, you rarely seen Hopkins act like that before. They definitely aren't the action of a guy that won a fight comfortably.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 14 2010, 09:05 PM) *
Hopkins lost more rounds than he won. It was 7-5 Calzaghe & this was scored by a guy looking to score rounds for Hopkins. I watched the fight 3 times & came up with the same score everytime.

If Hopkins actually followed up his knockdown instead of "pacing" himself he would have been a winner. But he was a loser & lost a close but very clear decision in my opinion.

I do like how he was unemphatic in beating a 42 year old Hopkins & does not measure up to PBF in any way.

Here is a news flash. Floyd's biggest ever win was a close split decision win over DLH which was not only unimpressive but unemphatic in every sense especially considering DLH was not a P4P fighter. Calzaghe got a close but clear win over a top 5 P4P champion & a fighter who at 45 is still considered a top 5 P4P fighter. Go figure.....

This sums it up for me. Man I really don't like Joe but I thought he won that fight clear. It pains me to say that.

I think Floyd's biggest win is against Castillo but I'm not sure where to rate Castillo in the greatness stakes. Very very good, HOF'er for sure but is it the equivalent of beating a Hopkins or prime Roy? Which Slappy didn't do either, I'm just searching for what I'd call Floyd's signature win. Maybe it could come against Mosley.

D-MARV
I think many people here forget that Floyd SCHOOLED and Stopped P4P ranked Corrales. LMAO, I can't believe people are evening thinking about this.

Corrales, Castillo, Hatton, Judah, De La Hoya, Marquez > Hopkins, Jones Jr, Lacy, Kessler...

I won't even bring up Floyd's work at 130 (before Corrales) because that totally shits on anything Calzaghe ever did outside of Hopkins.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 09:50 PM) *
I think many people here forget that Floyd SCHOOLED and Stopped P4P ranked Corrales. LMAO, I can't believe people are evening thinking about this.

Corrales, Castillo, Hatton, Judah, De La Hoya, Marquez > Hopkins, Jones Jr, Lacy, Kessler...

I won't even bring up Floyd's work at 130 (before Corrales) because that totally shits on anything Calzaghe ever did outside of Hopkins.

Yeah you may be right I think Corrales for me might be his signature win. The only thing I didn't like about that fight is Diego knowing he was going to jail, I'd say that would have had to have some effect but a really really good win for Floyd, he was one of my faves around that time.

Sorry but I don't rate his wins over Hatton (fat-no skills, uncomfortable and probably already beaten by Collazo at 147), Judah (just got beat by Carlos Bladomir!!!!! Sorry but elite level guys don't lose to the Baldy's of the world), De la Hoya (a part-time fighter by this stage) or Marquez (a fine fighter but piss drinking midget WAY out of premium weight division).

Corrales (jail problems aside) and Castillo are def. good wins.
D-MARV
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Feb 14 2010, 09:09 PM) *
Yeah you may be right I think Corrales for me might be his signature win. The only thing I didn't like about that fight is Diego knowing he was going to jail, I'd say that would have had to have some effect but a really really good win for Floyd, he was one of my faves around that time.

Sorry but I don't rate his wins over Hatton (fat-no skills, uncomfortable and probably already beaten by Collazo at 147), Judah (just got beat by Carlos Bladomir!!!!! Sorry but elite level guys don't lose to the Baldy's of the world), De la Hoya (a part-time fighter by this stage) or Marquez (a fine fighter but piss drinking midget WAY out of premium weight division).

Corrales (jail problems aside) and Castillo are def. good wins.

Those were not Great Wins but certainly better than Lacy, Jones Jr and Kessler.

You know what... I'll give you guys Kessler... even though Ward just jizzed all over that win but two wins still don't top Floyd's work at 130 AND 135!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Feb 14 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Those were not Great Wins but certainly better than Lacy, Jones Jr and Kessler.

You know what... I'll give you guys Kessler... even though Ward just jizzed all over that win but two wins still don't top Floyd's work at 130 AND 135!

I'm not saying I didn't, I admit I've gone slightly off beam in this thread as I'm not calling Slappy better than Floyd, it's just when I think of Floyd I'm always left scratching my head as to who he beat in their primes that were absolutely GREAT fighters.

I think Floyd probably wakes up every day and thanks God he wasn't fighting in the late 70's early 80's!!

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 15 2010, 12:53 AM) *

So I assume that you had Pac winning very comfortably in his first fight with Marquez since he got 3 knockdowns in the fight.
kingknockout
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Feb 13 2010, 10:13 PM) *

does anybody evel takes torvix seriously on this site?
Snoop
Put it this way, both fighters have "what could have been" type of careers, but based on what we DO know - through display of skill-set and actual wins - I don't see how you could even compare Floyd to Joe Calzaghe.
Snoop
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Feb 15 2010, 04:31 AM) *

Ollie, Sweetness and Spyder have developed quite the fondness for him.
Fitz
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Feb 15 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Now you two have something in common.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.