Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins -
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Maxy
Just been listening to an interview with Bernard Hopkins talking to Steve Bunce a few minutes ago. Anyway, the long and the short of it is, Hopkins said he wants to destroy Roy Jones and put him out of boxing and then he wants a fight with David Haye...as long as it can be made for late summer, early fall.

Now I know this has been talked about before but it seemed to die away lately. Hopkins definitely seems keen on the idea though. He mentioned Jones beating Ruiz but said Haye is a level above Ruiz but isn't a giant heavyweight.

He genuinely wants the fight and I'm thinking Haye and his people will definitely take it. Surely it's more winnable than either Klit fight and the money for it won't be bad either. Some good trash talking in the build up will see huge interest on both sides of the pond.

Carl Froch was also on. Only caught the end of it but he said he thinks Dirrell will beat Abraham but he hopes Abraham flattens him to get him out of the way...
Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 18 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Just been listening to an interview with Bernard Hopkins talking to Steve Bunce a few minutes ago. Anyway, the long and the short of it is, Hopkins said he wants to destroy Roy Jones and put him out of boxing and then he wants a fight with David Haye...as long as it can be made for late summer, early fall.

Now I know this has been talked about before but it seemed to die away lately. Hopkins definitely seems keen on the idea though. He mentioned Jones beating Ruiz but said Haye is a level above Ruiz but isn't a giant heavyweight.

He genuinely wants the fight and I'm thinking Haye and his people will definitely take it. Surely it's more winnable than either Klit fight and the money for it won't be bad either. Some good trash talking in the build up will see huge interest on both sides of the pond.

Carl Froch was also on. Only caught the end of it but he said he thinks Dirrell will beat Abraham but he hopes Abraham flattens him to get him out of the way...

Haye-Hopkins would be a good fight. Hopkins going for a true legacy there.

Bit surprised Froch chose Dirrell over Abraham. I don't think Andre has the firepower to keep King Arthur off him, or the experience to avoid his shots all night long.
Keith
I do not want to see Hopkins fight Haye.

Hopkins would not survive....

and that would be a terrible way to end his career.
Maxy
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 18 2010, 04:14 PM) *
I do not want to see Hopkins fight Haye.

Hopkins would not survive....

and that would be a terrible way to end his career.

That's the way I see it too and I wouldn't want Hopkins to get beaten up in what would be his last fight.

All the same, if the fight gets made, provided they both win their next fights, it'll definitely generate huge interest. One thing the heavyweight division needs is genuine interest and those big ol' Klits just haven't cut the mustard.
Method
Id take Ex over Haye. Until I see Hopkins get beat, I aint picking against him.
Snoop
I can see Hopkins getting beat but I don't see it as a sure thing. First of all, he is a MASTER of defense. Second, Haye isn't the most study-chinned HW out there. Lastly, and most importantly, Hopkins has supreme ring intelligence. He never takes on fights that he's not confident in winning, regardless of what the fight might look like on paper, i.e. Tarver, Pavlik. He's not unreasonable and calling out the bigger HWs, but specifically Haye. I bet he already has a gameplan drawn out in his head.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 18 2010, 09:52 PM) *

Co-sign. Every time he's come in as an underdog in these seemingly unwinnable fights, he's come out on top. The betting lines will probably have him as a underdog and I'll be damn sure to place a wager on him.
Keith
I understand the belief in Hopkins.

His luck will run out. At his age, he is not becoming a better fighter. I'm not suggesting he fights "old" just that he wont be getting any better.

Couple that with the fact he's taking on a guy 30-40 lbs bigger, I just dont see it.

Remember, Hopkins last 4 fights have been against guys moving up.
Maxy
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 18 2010, 04:52 PM) *

This ain't Kelly Pavlik or Antonio Tarver though. This is bigger than anything Hopkins has attempted throughout his career and Haye, despite not having the all round ring generalship of Hopkins, nor the durability, is a much bigger man. He hits harder than any of Bernards previous foes....

Apologies, I know I'm telling you what you already know. Basically I want to know how you think Hopkins beats Haye?
WildCatBoxing
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 18 2010, 04:39 PM) *

That's what happens when a boxer underestimates an opponent as froch looked dirrell passed. Now he thinks dirrell will beat
Abraham. naturally, froch wishes dirrell beat Abraham so that way froch remains victorious over dirrell and if dirrell beats Abraham, the real threat will be out of froch's way. that must be his mindset. The sly part in here is that froch really wants AA to lose. Flatten dirrell and all that BS is just another sly ass wishes of froch.
EvanKorn
Jesse Campbell's Hop-Jones column:

http://newyork.fighthype.com/2010/02/18/jo...-before-beauty/
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 18 2010, 05:52 PM) *

What a shock.

I haven't picked against Hopkins since the Tito fight and Hopkins is obviously a more skilled fighter than Haye, but Haye is bigger, younger, more active, and probably hungrier. I see this as an 8-4 type of loss for Hopkins and a big payday to end his career. If this fight happens the only thing anyone could say about Hopkins is that he's a real prize fighter - a guy who will fight anyone for the right amount of money. God Bless him.

And if he did become HW champ I think that it would go without saying that he was the fighter of his era.
Romulus9
Before I decide on whether or not Hopkins can beat David Haye, I think I'll wait and see if David Haye can beat John Ruiz.

It's not the sure thing that some seem to believe it is. Haye has yet to impress me. Running from Valuev for 36 minutes is less impressive than the least impressive Klitschko performance (from either brother) since Lamon Brewster.

Big deal.

Based on what we've seen, what we know, I'd take Hopkins over Haye on gut feeling alone.
thehype
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Feb 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Before I decide on whether or not Hopkins can beat David Haye, I think I'll wait and see if David Haye can beat John Ruiz.

It's not the sure thing that some seem to believe it is. Haye has yet to impress me. Running from Valuev for 36 minutes is less impressive than the least impressive Klitschko performance (from either brother) since Lamon Brewster.

Big deal.

Based on what we've seen, what we know, I'd take Hopkins over Haye on gut feeling alone.

I agree 100%.
Lil-lightsout
I too was very unimpressed with Haye's performance against Valuev. I did see a few of his other fights though, and I like him alot and he seems pretty good to me. Maybe Valuev's freakish size had alot to do with Haye's poor performance? It is a good idea to see how he does with Ruiz, should be a good test. Ruiz seems to be tough with everyone(minus Tua) he fights. I supect Haye beats Ruiz though.

As for Hopkins-Haye? I think I would take Haye at this point. I just think not only is Haye naturally bigger, he also hits way harder, is faster than Bernard(IMO). I just think Haye would be too much for Hops at this point. Just my take.
Romulus9
I just keep this in mind, no matter what:

A geriatric Evander Holyfield won ten (10) friggin' rounds against Valuev (the absolute LEAST you could give Evander was eight) and got flat out robbed.

Compare that to David Haye.

Yeah.
Keith
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Feb 18 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I just keep this in mind, no matter what:

A geriatric Evander Holyfield won ten (10) friggin' rounds against Valuev (the absolute LEAST you could give Evander was eight) and got falt out robbed.

Compare that to David Haye.

Yeah.

Ugh ok.... I'd take Holyfield over Hopkins as well.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but everybody needs to stop acting like Hopkins is this unbeatable guy.

He lost to Jermain Taylor twice and Joe Calzage... So the guy is clearly not unbeatable.

neophyte7
Many would argue the contrary that Hopkins has not been legitimately beaten in the ring since RJJ... I don't think Taylor or Calzaghe beat hopkins.
Keith
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 18 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Many would argue the contrary that Hopkins has not been legitimately beaten in the ring since RJJ... I don't think Taylor or Calzaghe beat hopkins.

You can argue that. They still appear as losses on his record. And those are 3 of his last 6 fights. I dont need to go all the way back to 1993. I can watch his last 6 fights and see his hand was not raised in 3 of them.
neophyte7
His hand was not raised... you are correct sir...Castillo's hand was not raised against mayweather, yet people claim he won fight one... so stop it ---LMAO Has nothing to do with the old master Hopkins being able to put together a game plan to out box David Haye who looked like crap against Valuev...

and he is on a win streak in his last three
Keith
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 18 2010, 10:02 PM) *
His hand was not raised... you are correct sir...Castillo's hand was not raised against mayweather, yet people claim he won fight one... so stop it ---LMAO Has nothing to do with the old master Hopkins being able to put together a game plan to out box David Haye who looked like crap against Valuev...

and he is on a win streak in his last three

Figures you bring it back to Mayweather. You are such a Hugger.

Do you ever stop thinking about Floyd?

My mentioning the 3 losses in his last 6 was to make a point that....

Hopkins just doesnt show up and magically get his hand raised. He's not a friggin magician, his opponents are not always mezmerized by him. I just get this impression that people think Hopkins would just show up and David Haye would be shivering in his boots. David Haye is 210 lbs. He's not just bigger, he's probably faster, and hits harder. I dont care how great a boxer Hokins is, at some point Hopkins is going to have to hurt this big dude to keep from getting mugged.
D-MARV
If Hops can beat Haye then he'll be GOD!
Spyder
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 18 2010, 03:39 PM) *

I bet you felt a stone in your gut when you heard that...lol

Froch knows. Shit, EVERYBODY knows. That fight went to the wrong man...
Spyder
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 18 2010, 09:56 PM) *
You can argue that. They still appear as losses on his record. And those are 3 of his last 6 fights. I dont need to go all the way back to 1993. I can watch his last 6 fights and see his hand was not raised in 3 of them.

Keith spitting some knowledge!

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
imma say this right now.. hopkins gets destroyed by haye.... haye would go into that fight knowing hes naturally bigger and i dont see hopkins making it through the onslaught of the opening bell... this is not like roy jones going up against ruiz... haye for what he's worth is offensive and punches damn hard for a heavyweight... hopkins gets ko'd in that fight...
JLUVBABY
imma say this right now.. hopkins gets destroyed by haye.... haye would go into that fight knowing hes naturally bigger and i dont see hopkins making it through the onslaught of the opening bell... this is not like roy jones going up against ruiz... haye for what he's worth is offensive and punches damn hard for a heavyweight... hopkins gets ko'd in that fight...
STEVENSKI
Personally I would like to see Hopkins take a savage beating. I don't mean getting beaten but getting flogged within a inch of his life a month's holiday in hospital type of deal. Not because I hate Hopkins but because he needs that type of brutality to convince him it's time to retire. Since Hopkins is pretty stupid he will best understand fractured ribs & severe bruising.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 19 2010, 01:53 AM) *
Personally I would like to see Hopkins take a savage beating. I don't mean getting beaten but getting flogged within a inch of his life a month's holiday in hospital type of deal. Not because I hate Hopkins but because he needs that type of brutality to convince him it's time to retire. Since Hopkins is pretty stupid he will best understand fractured ribs & severe bruising.

shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif
WTF? I think this is the first time I've shared the same feelings as Stevenski!
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 19 2010, 06:15 AM) *
Didn't you say Hopkins is your second favourite fighter?

Yea Sure is! Wierd huh? dntknw.gif I honestly want to see how he would respond after being stretched!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 19 2010, 11:02 AM) *
shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif
WTF? I think this is the first time I've shared the same feelings as Stevenski!

Yeah it is not like I hate Hopkins I just think that he needs to retire.
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 19 2010, 06:15 AM) *
Didn't you say Hopkins is your second favourite fighter?

LOL...yes...and he is a bigger fan of Mosley than Floyd.

Eugene man...what is going on with you? Are you just scraping off the old timers and adopting new fighters?
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 19 2010, 07:53 AM) *

Even when STEVENSKI doesn't hate a fighter, he still wants them to be viciously beaten. What a hater. laugh.gif
neophyte7
You guys must be William Joppy and Keith Holmes... wow what hatred... LMAO
Mean Mister Mustard
Hopkins worst enemy right now is speed. Even though he's still as smart and cagey as ever his relfexes aren't all that great anymore. He still beat most guys but I think Haye would be a bit too much for a 45 year old man.

I think the Jones fight will be a good way of seeing how Hopkins deals with the handspeed.
The CEO
I say Haye doesn't have the balls to accept the challenge, let alone get in the ring with Hopkins...
caneman
As much as I love BHop, he should step to Chad Dawson if he really wants to add to his legacy! I do think he should really step it up one more time & destroy Roy & ride off into the sunset if it isn't Dawson next! He had an amazing career & to fight @ the level he has @ 45 is something we will probably never see again unless it's @ HW!
Maxy
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 19 2010, 12:47 PM) *
I say Haye doesn't have the balls to accept the challenge, let alone get in the ring with Hopkins...

Oh Haye would take this in a heartbeat, provided he doesn't get done by Ruiz.

If it happens....me and you....sig bet...How about it?
Method
All I can say is I know for a fact that Hopkins used to spar w, and rock cruisers and heavies. I like him over Haye. Like I said, I have to see Bernard really lose a fight before I will pick against him. Im not suggesting he'll show up and magically win, I just think he is a much better skilled fighter than David Haye, and, as mentioned, Haye aint the most iron chinned. If Hops gets put to sleep, so be it, but I doubt it.

I would also like to see him fight Dawson. It's just a shame they wont pony up the dough for it.
neophyte7
I agree 100%
The CEO
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 19 2010, 12:46 PM) *
Oh Haye would take this in a heartbeat, provided he doesn't get done by Ruiz.

If it happens....me and you....sig bet...How about it?

Just like he did with The Klitschkos....lol

but hey...if you really wanna do that...you're gonna have to prove you're worthy enough to Sig Bet with me in the first place....you see....you're not that good at predicting fights.

dirol.gif
Spyder
Damn Maxy, you don't have to put up with that...

You should remind him that he picked on the same side as you before, and suggest that THAT FACT ALONE would give you guys an equal footing...even WITH your heavy Euro Bias.

I'm just sayin...

laugh.gif
The CEO
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 19 2010, 01:50 PM) *
Damn Maxy, you don't have to put up with that...

You should remind him that he picked on the same side as you before, and suggest that THAT FACT ALONE would give you guys an equal footing...even WITH your heavy Euro Bias.

I'm just sayin...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

but yeah....heavy, HEAVY Bias....KILLS his success rate...

and to be honest...I never said who I thought would win...just like Haye-Ruiz, Haye-Hopkins is about a coin flip.....I'M just sayin' David Haye doesn't have THE BALLS to fight a little, old Hopkins...his cowardice is well documented.
BrutalBodyShots
What weight do you think Hopkins would bulk up to and enter the ring against Haye at?

Does anyone recall Hopkins' ring entrance weight against Tarver? I was thinking 187ish but maybe that was Tarver? Anyway I remember thinking Hopkins looked bigger than Tarver. I also remember thinking Jones looked like the bigger stronger guy against Ruiz even though Ruiz outweighed him some 30 pounds.

I could see Hopkins stepping through the ropes against Haye in the ballpark of 195, so probably giving up 20-25 pounds.

What do you think?

D-MARV
QUOTE (caneman @ Feb 19 2010, 11:58 AM) *
As much as I love BHop, he should step to Chad Dawson if he really wants to add to his legacy! I do think he should really step it up one more time & destroy Roy & ride off into the sunset if it isn't Dawson next! He had an amazing career & to fight @ the level he has @ 45 is something we will probably never see again unless it's @ HW!

Hops aint fighting Dawson.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 19 2010, 12:58 PM) *
All I can say is I know for a fact that Hopkins used to spar w, and rock cruisers and heavies. I like him over Haye. Like I said, I have to see Bernard really lose a fight before I will pick against him. Im not suggesting he'll show up and magically win, I just think he is a much better skilled fighter than David Haye, and, as mentioned, Haye aint the most iron chinned. If Hops gets put to sleep, so be it, but I doubt it.

I would also like to see him fight Dawson. It's just a shame they wont pony up the dough for it.

Go back and watch the Calzaghe fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Feb 19 2010, 08:30 AM) *
LOL...yes...and he is a bigger fan of Mosley than Floyd.

Eugene man...what is going on with you? Are you just scraping off the old timers and adopting new fighters?

Please quote me as to where I said I was a bigger Mosley fan that Floyd fan.

Let me clear one thing up. Getting stretched was a little far. I really meant I want to see him hurt just to see how he responds.
JD
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 20 2010, 05:09 AM) *
Please quote me as to where I said I was a bigger Mosley fan that Floyd fan.

Let me clear one thing up. Getting stretched was a little far. I really meant I want to see him hurt just to see how he responds.

No...I am not going to quote you because I am not about to go scouring your posts, this isn't really something to debate...you know who you are a fan of better than I do. I was using the notion of being a diehard and a bigger fan interchangeably...if you are not a bigger fan; ok, great!

Either way, my point stands about out with the old (literally), in with the new blood...or at least the appearance of that.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Feb 20 2010, 08:02 AM) *
No...I am not going to quote you because I am not about to go scouring your posts, this isn't really something to debate...you know who you are a fan of better than I do. I was using the notion of being a diehard and a bigger fan interchangeably...if you are not a bigger fan; ok, great!

Either way, my point stands about out with the old (literally), in with the new blood...or at least the appearance of that.

Exactly...I never said it! Hops is still my number 2 and thats not changing.
JD
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 20 2010, 08:12 AM) *
Exactly...I never said it! Hops is still my number 2 and thats not changing.

LOL...ok, feel better?
1zz
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 19 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Ugh ok.... I'd take Holyfield over Hopkins as well.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but everybody needs to stop acting like Hopkins is this unbeatable guy.

He lost to Jermain Taylor twice and Joe Calzage... So the guy is clearly not unbeatable.

FACT:
The guy has only won 3 of his last 6 fights prior to the Orneales fight where he look quite old in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.