Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about accidental fouls
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
I know it didn't effect the result, but watching the Valero-DeMarco fight, I noticed that DeMarco was deducted a point for an accidental elbow that cut Valero. How is this any different to an accidental headbutt and I haven't seen points taken off for accidental headbutts. Does anybody know why DeMarco was deducted a point? Unless the referee ruled it as intentional, which I don't think it was the case and if it was, that's crap.
JD
It depends on the sanctioning bodies rules.
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 18 2010, 08:59 PM) *
Thanks. Though to me it's a pretty shit rule.

No problem. I totally agree with you too...though I guess the thought is that in the case of a foul like what happened in Valero - DeMarco, the point is a sort of consolation to make up for the fact that one fighter now has to continue on pouring blood from his head.
Romulus9
As far as I know, it's an EXCLUSIVELY WBC rule. It's happened in big fights too. Whitaker lost a point against de la Hoya in 1997 and Frankie Randall lost a point in the Chavez rematch in 1994... and that point cost Frankie his title (final scores were 76-75 Chavez, 77-74 Chavez, 76-75 Randall).

It's an absurd rule, saying that deducting a point from an uninjured fighter after an accidental foul "evens it up". I hate the WBC. This stupid scoring rule, plus the open scoring nonsense.

This is why I like the IBO more than any of the "traditional" 3.
Jack 1000
That is correct,

The WBA tried the accidental foul point deduction rule briefly but quickly took it out, or at least I have not seen it for years. The WBC head-butt is exclusive that if a fighter suffers a cut oproducing headbutt, the ref is supposed to take a point away from the UNINJURED fighter to neutralize the handicap of the fighter being cut. The fighter can lose two points if the ref rules that the cut producing headbutt was intentional.

The boxing commissions throughout the world can choose to waive this rule. The same with the Optional rule of 4th and 8th round Open Scoring Bullshit and many jurisdictions have done so. The Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) which regulates all title fights in the USA and Unified Rules were also adopted in Great Britain overturned Open Scoring and the mandated point deductions for cut producing headbutts. Jose Suliman about ten years ago to his credit said that he would not force the rule on a commission that did not want it in effect. But sometimes he changes his tune and has been known to threaten a refusal of WBC sanctioned fights if this rule is not in place.

He can't do that in the USA or Great Britain, or Canada (which also uses Unified Rules) because ABC rules overturn alphabet organizations rules in all instances. It's the responsibility of the boxing commissions throughout the world to overturn the WBC accidental head-butt point deduction rule and Open Scoring. If more commissions do not overturn those two WBC rules, that could be an issue in future WBC title fights.

If any users are from outside of the USA reading this and oppose the accidental butt-rule and open scoring, you must appeal to your state boxing commission to force a bi-law to overturn those rules. In contrast, the WBC and the Nevada's recent use of Instant Replay is a great rule for evaluation of alleged fouls provided that instant replay does not detract from the natural flow of the fight. In this instance, and in the interest of fighter safety, I support the WBC's dedication. But Open Scoring and the point deductions for an accidental butt-rule are two conditions of which the WBC should be ashamed.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 18 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Thanks Jack. Who the hell needs to visit the sanctioning body website to find rules when we have Jack 1000. I swear you know all the rules like the back of your hand laugh.gif

Jack is the master when it comes to rules.

Thanks!

Over thirty years in this game helps as well!

Jack
torvix2000
How about not deducting a point from somebody who will punch Floyd's back of the head in case he exposes it as a sort of defense?
AussieLad
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Feb 19 2010, 11:20 AM) *
How about not deducting a point from somebody who will punch Floyd's back of the head in case he exposes it as a sort of defense?

Or better yet, someone who smashes floyd in the back of the head as hard as he can leaving him flopping on the ground like a fish

It was a pretty mighty cut on Valero from a blatant elbow. I believe it should be up to the judges discretion how to penalize a fould. In that example i think it was justified
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 18 2010, 08:59 PM) *
Thanks. Though to me it's a pretty shit rule.

I think it's a terrible rule as well. That said, as much as Demarco seems like a straight up fighter, that elbow to Valero's head looked a bit suspect to me.

And Jack, that was a great post. It's nice to feel like I'm learning something here occasionally.
Jack 1000
Or better yet, someone who smashes floyd in the back of the head as hard as he can leaving him flopping on the ground like a fish

The greatest moment in boxing EVER! Accidental foul or otherwise! LOL!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.