Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats the point in Miguel moving UP?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
I'm really trying to get in my head why Miguel is moving up. It's not like Yuri Foreman, Cory Spinks and whoever else is champions there are huge name$ that will yield to $$$. Even though most may think he's already damaged goods, I think he still has something and could STILL make/have very marketable fights at '47.

Does anyone know something I don't like him not being able to make weight comfortably or is this TOP RANK trying to take control of the Jr Middle division?
JD
I think it is all about selling a meaningful fight on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Either way, Top Rank wins here...Cotto wins, he has a strap at 154 and can still go back to 147, if Foreman wins, he has a big name under his belt and is more marketable.

Having stood next to both these guys at the Luevano - Lopez fight, Foreman does not look like a junior middle to me...he is real slight.
Lil-lightsout
I think he has trouble making 147 comfortably. Maybe at 154 he will be stronger and does not have to worry so damn much sucking weight. Who cares if all the big names are at 147? Maybe right now Cotto needs an easier fight? It ain't always about the money. Cotto has proved over and over he will fight whoever they put in front of him. I think he will look better and stronger at 154.
Provo209
I think this is a fight just to build his confidence back up. And if he wins he becomes a Champ again ,at 147 he has No shot to win any title IMO.
And I don't care if he beat Shane before,Cotto is not the same fighter he once was .
JonnyBlaze
I'm starting to think Cotto's career is on fast downfall..He still looks good in his fights but I think he is going to turn out to be another Jeff Lacy where he started out real good and everyone had high hopes for him then he has a major downfall..I don't think Cotto will end up as bad as Lacy but I used Lacy as an example..I think going to 54 is a bad sign for him and his career..47 is where he belongs but I think he may just think he can't hang with guys in that division anymore..
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 20 2010, 09:32 AM) *
Don't you ever, ever compare Miguel Cotto or his career to Jeff Lacy. That is being flat out disrespectful to Cotto.

Agreed. Cotto, could be a "has been". That's yet to be seen. Jeff Lacy is a "never was".
Provo209
I don't think Cotto has a shot against any of the big name guys .I say let him win the title at 154 fight some average joes and throw him in with Fernando Vargas in Dec , aint Vargas coming back? If so let Vargas get a fight or 2 and fight Cotto.
Maxy
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 20 2010, 01:25 AM) *
I'm starting to think Cotto's career is on fast downfall..He still looks good in his fights but I think he is going to turn out to be another Jeff Lacy where he started out real good and everyone had high hopes for him then he has a major downfall..I don't think Cotto will end up as bad as Lacy but I used Lacy as an example..I think going to 54 is a bad sign for him and his career..47 is where he belongs but I think he may just think he can't hang with guys in that division anymore..

wtf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.