Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow BS stoppage in the Vivian Harris Fight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Aware

What other bad stoppages are on this level?
AussieLad
That was some bullshit
Snoop
There is NO honor in winning a fight like that.
Jack 1000
I've seen worse,

The stream was pretty choppy, but from the rounds I saw, Vivian wasn't doing anything. I was expecting something along the lines of Richard Steele in Tyson-Rudduk I. Sure, they could have let it go on, but it probably would have been over in a round or two anyway.

But like I said, it's hard to watch it through a video stream.

Jack

PS. I just heard that the first two rounds were two-sided, so maybe on that basis, the stoppage was bad. Box Rec says Golden Boy Promotions has mandated a rematch because of the quick stoppage.
JD
That was horrific.
Snoop
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *
I've seen worse,

The stream was pretty choppy, but from the rounds I saw, Vivian wasn't doing anything. I was expecting something along the lines of Richard Steele in Tyson-Rudduk I. Sure, they could have let it go on, but it probably would have been over in a round or two anyway.

But like I said, it's hard to watch it through a video stream.

Jack

PS. I just heard that the first two rounds were two-sided, so maybe on that basis, the stoppage was bad. Box Rec says Golden Boy Promotions has mandated a rematch because of the quick stoppage.

I dunno. Unless you've seen some fights stopped from no punches being thrown, it's hard to see a worse stoppage.
salvador
Wow.

I've always liked Harris and it's always seemed to me that his entire life would have been different if he'd just taken the $750K to fight Hatton. That totally sucks.
D-MARV
That was terrible!
BigG
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 22 2010, 10:40 AM) *
There is NO honor in winning a fight like that.

yup..seriously..that was pathetic
ROLL DEEP
Pfffffft.

That was terrible. Man, how pissed off would you be, lol.
Keith
I thought that stoppage was spot on. blink.gif

Someone should stick a knife up that refs ass.
JLUVBABY
you can argue that harris would have gotten taken out of there in a few more rounds but this is boxing and he still had fight in him.. ive never been a big fan of his but he deserved to go out on his shield better than that... in my opinion...
Spyder

I'm pissed FOR him...
MarzB
Viv definitely isn't as sharp as he was when he was WBA champion but this was terrible. If there's worse I'd like to see it.I don't deny there is but come on.

Had this ref been in Cotto vs. Margarito, maybe Cotto might still be an undefeated fighter now since he was able to give Marg plenty of flurries early. This was NOTHING close to it.

I hope for Vivian's sake Golden Boy can get a protest but save for headbutts and positive on drug test, I've never seen decisions overturned.
jlupi
that was the worst I have seen. way worse than tyson-ruddock viv had the mans eye closed. one combo the guy barely staggers forward and its stopped?
Jack 1000
I wish they would talk to the refs in controversal instances like this. Could he have seen something that no one else saw? Open communication is good for these types of issues. But when there is a really bad stoppage, either too early or too late or a really bad scorecard. (Gale Van Hoy 118-110 Diaz over Malinaggi) or Pierre Benoit, 119-110 Paul Williams over Martinez) the officials don't have to question their performances and three weeks later, they are back like nothing happened.

Don't fire them without a fair trial. But at the very least, they should be required to answer questions in cases like these.

Jack
Byrd Man
Richard Steele thought that was a bad stoppage.
Jack 1000
I found this on another forum and the author granted me permission to post it here. (It is not Micheal Woods.) But it goes back to Vivian Harris' previous fight in which he suffered a collpase in the first round. This may raise new evidence as to what was going in the ref's mind in Mexico that night. In light of this previous fight, he told me he agreed with the ref's stoppage in Mexico:

Is This A Good Idea? Vivian Harris Cleared To Box 2 Weeks After Collapse
By Michael Woods

Vivian Harris medically cleared to fight

For Immediate Release~ CARLSTADT, NJ. (August 27, 2009) — Former Junior Welterweight champion “Vicious” Vivian Harris has been medically cleared to fight after collapsing from an accidental head butt in his last outing.
On August 14, in Tucson, AZ, Harris collapsed about 90 seconds into the 2nd-round after clashing heads with Noe Balanos in a bout that was shown live on ESPN. After taking a knee, Harris got to his feet, but then collapsed after walking to his corner.
The 31-year-old Harris was taken to a nearby hospital for observation and was given a precautionary CAT scan that came back negative. He was released from the hospital around midnight. After returning to his home in Carlstadt, NJ, Harris visited his neurologist as a further precaution.
“I’m OK. All the tests came back negative. My health is my number one concern so I made sure I took all the necessary medical precautions before I resume fighting," Harris said. “Unfortunately these types of things happen but I’m back in the gym, and I look forward to fighting again before the end of the year.”
Harris, who recently signed with Golden Boy Promotions, is determined to work his way back to a title shot in the talent-filled 140 lb-division.
EDITOR NOTE: I sincerely hope that Vivian got checked out by a top-of-the-line medical expert, and will consider getting a second and third opinion, just to be sure he is fit to continue fighting. I'm pretty certain his promoter, Golden Boy, would dig in pocket to have him go that extra yard, expense-wise. On Aug. 13, everyone who watched the 31-year-old Harris against Noe Bolanos on Friday Night Fights in Arizona was worried sick over the Guyana-born Harris, after he collpased in his corner after he clashed heads with Bolanos, and was unresponsive for some time after that. He came to, and twenty minutes later was ambulatory, and conversant with his team in his dressing room. But the head clash didn't look like it would cause a well man to crumple. The scene left us worried for Harris' short and long-term health, as a matter of fact. Vivian, just know that there may be a few folks who are urging you to fight on, but they are not the ones that could suffer catastrophic brain damage from fighting. And if it is in fact your own stubborn but commendable pride spurring you to battle on, may I offer that it is better to be safe, than sorry. It is better to be poorer, but healthier. I'm not one to tell a man to hang up the gloves, all that often, for we all have one life to live, and we have our own free will to set our own course on the journey...but sometimes brave, proud men need a little help letting go, and stepping away from the ring. Please, Vivian, just be sure this is the right move for you, and your family, and loved ones.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Feb 24 2010, 02:25 AM) *
Richard Steele thought that was a bad stoppage.

Hahaha.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.