Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was I unintentionally Racist?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Spyder
So I was talking to a couple of guys from work, and one was telling me how he found a new sushi bar to watch UFC cards at.

He was telling me how a guy at the bar was talking to him about the fight, and how it was actually an intelligent conversation rather than the normal..."Stand them up already!" "This shit is gay!" "I can kick their asses!"...that he got from the Winghouse (a Hooters type restaurant in town that shows every boxing and UFC PPV).

In an effort to show him differences in the MMA/boxing audiences...I said, "Well normally when I go to Winghouse, I know what kind of crowd to expect based on who's fighting...If Miguel Cotto is fighting, then I know before I get there that there will be mostly Puerto Ricans. And if Floyd Mayweather is fighting, then the crowd will be a little darker..." well as soon as I said that, both guys stood up and walked to the other side of the room saying "Whoa!" like I just pulled out a white hood and they didn't want to be seen around it...lol

My point was that boxing fans follow certain fighters, and they know before they get to the bar how those fighters fight. UFC fans on the other hand, don't follow a certain fighter and are more fans of the UFC...therefore they get surprised when a grappler spends the majority of the fight on his back.

Well anyway, my apparent racist remark ended the conversation before I could make my point...lol...so, what do you guys think? Was I overtly racist?

laugh.gif
Snoop
Honestly, I can see why they would construe that as "racist", well, maybe not "racist", but "culturally insensitive" is perhaps how I would put it.
The CEO
I'd say you were being "open and matter of fact"...lol...the problem is acquaintances or strangers can't handle talk like that sometimes....what Race were your co-workers?

Regardless...I think THEY were being sensitive.
Keith
I do not see that as racist in the framework and history of boxing.

People traditionally favor and follow boxers from similar backgrounds or areas.
Spyder
They are both white, and we joke around all the time in the break room about random shit. At first I thought that they were just trying to turn it into a joke, and frame it like I was being a racist...but then I thought about it a little, and wasn't sure if it truly came out the way that they reacted.

One of the guys said later in the day that he has a problem with Chinese Restaurants that have white guys in the kitchen, so of course I yelled "Whoa!" and went to the other side of the room...

laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (Keith @ Feb 23 2010, 04:03 AM) *
I do not see that as racist in the framework and history of boxing.

People traditionally favor and follow boxers from similar backgrounds or areas.

It's not the content of the conversation that was "racist"; in fact what you were saying is very true. It's the use of the phrase "a room getting darker" to describe a black demographic that's not well received.
BigG
I don't really think you were racist. I mean what you said is true.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 22 2010, 10:40 PM) *
It's not the content of the conversation that was "racist"; in fact what you were saying is very true. It's the use of the phrase "a room getting darker" to describe a black demographic that's not well received.

laugh.gif

I didn't say the "room" was getting darker...that shit is RACIST...lol

But I see your point.
happygocampy
This story reminds me of something similar i said. I was talking to my co-worker, and asked him if he watches boxing, he said no, i said "Well, it is a minority loved sport". Not only him but everyone close enough to over hear it thought i meant that pretty much only Minorities watch it, when in fact i simply meant the sport isnt very popular here in the states and wasn't surprised he didn't watch it, lol.
STEVENSKI
You shoulda said "Boy if there's one thing I hate more than a ni**er lover it's two of em!" "So how's bout we tie yaw colored lovin white ass to a tree & sees if we can teach yaw a lesson with this ere horsewhip". That would have not only been funny but also practical.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 23 2010, 06:17 AM) *
You shoulda said "Boy if there's one thing I hate more than a ni**er lover it's two of em!" "So how's bout we tie yaw colored lovin white ass to a tree & sees if we can teach yaw a lesson with this ere horsewhip". That would have not only been funny but also practical.

laugh.gif

That is a good impression of some ol' fashion American bigot talk coming from an Aussie. I'm impressed.
Snoop
QUOTE (happygocampy @ Feb 23 2010, 06:13 AM) *
This story reminds me of something similar i said. I was talking to my co-worker, and asked him if he watches boxing, he said no, i said "Well, it is a minority loved sport". Not only him but everyone close enough to over hear it thought i meant that pretty much only Minorities watch it, when in fact i simply meant the sport isnt very popular here in the states and wasn't surprised he didn't watch it, lol.

Haha. Words no longer mean what they mean nowadays.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 22 2010, 09:19 PM) *
So I was talking to a couple of guys from work, and one was telling me how he found a new sushi bar to watch UFC cards at.

He was telling me how a guy at the bar was talking to him about the fight, and how it was actually an intelligent conversation rather than the normal..."Stand them up already!" "This shit is gay!" "I can kick their asses!"...that he got from the Winghouse (a Hooters type restaurant in town that shows every boxing and UFC PPV).

In an effort to show him differences in the MMA/boxing audiences...I said, "Well normally when I go to Winghouse, I know what kind of crowd to expect based on who's fighting...If Miguel Cotto is fighting, then I know before I get there that there will be mostly Puerto Ricans. And if Floyd Mayweather is fighting, then the crowd will be a little darker..." well as soon as I said that, both guys stood up and walked to the other side of the room saying "Whoa!" like I just pulled out a white hood and they didn't want to be seen around it...lol

My point was that boxing fans follow certain fighters, and they know before they get to the bar how those fighters fight. UFC fans on the other hand, don't follow a certain fighter and are more fans of the UFC...therefore they get surprised when a grappler spends the majority of the fight on his back.

Well anyway, my apparent racist remark ended the conversation before I could make my point...lol...so, what do you guys think? Was I overtly racist?

laugh.gif

Dude I went to the Mayweather/Marquez fight in the theater and me and my girl were probably 2 of 10 white people while the rest were black or mexican..I don't think what you said if racist at all..People just get scared and act like bitches when race is even brought up..It's stupid..I do know white people who like Mayweather and I know whites and blacks who like Marquez..Yet,when I went to the theater,the black people were goin for Mayweather and the mexicans were for Marquez..These people seemed more like casual fans and I think casual fans are a lot less colorblind than us on the boards who root for who we like based on how they fight and their technique instead of what race they are..
King Eugene
I wouldn't have took it as racist statement. It isn't like you called them a load of laundry(colored). laugh.gif You probably would have just been better off saying "more blacks come in when blacks fight"
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 23 2010, 09:45 AM) *
It isn't like you called them a load of laundry(colored). laugh.gif

That is hilarious! Good one King. People need to lighten up a bit in this world & not be so damm serious.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 23 2010, 04:52 AM) *
That is hilarious! Good one King. People need to lighten up a bit in this world & not be so damm serious.

I actually think quite a few racist jokes towards blacks are pretty damn funny. Ashton Kutcher was on a roll in Guess Who. I was almost in tears. It also depends on the persons intentions as well. You got some cats that will say it with the intentions of being funny only but some see it as a way to say how they really feel but cover it up as a joke.
JD
I am not really sure what could be construed as racism there.

More black dudes show up to watch Mayweather, and being black means their skin tone is darker. You didn't denigrate the race or anything...you just said more show up for a Mayweather fight.

Douchebag
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 23 2010, 02:00 AM) *
Dude I went to the Mayweather/Marquez fight in the theater and me and my girl were probably 2 of 10 white people while the rest were black or mexican..I don't think what you said if racist at all..People just get scared and act like bitches when race is even brought up..It's stupid..I do know white people who like Mayweather and I know whites and blacks who like Marquez..Yet,when I went to the theater,the black people were goin for Mayweather and the mexicans were for Marquez..These people seemed more like casual fans and I think casual fans are a lot less colorblind than us on the boards who root for who we like based on how they fight and their technique instead of what race they are..

I didn't know you where white. Not that theres anything wrong with that..............LOL
Spyder
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 23 2010, 01:22 PM) *
I didn't know you where white. Not that theres anything wrong with that..............LOL

Worse...Jon is Irish.

laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Feb 23 2010, 01:33 PM) *
I am not really sure what could be construed as racism there.

More black dudes show up to watch Mayweather, and being black means their skin tone is darker. You didn't denigrate the race or anything...you just said more show up for a Mayweather fight.

You know logically it makes sense. If Spyder had said, "more of the crowd will be black", it would have been fine, but for some reason, describing "a crowd getting darker," is just taken badly by some people. I don't really know why, just that it is.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 23 2010, 01:49 PM) *
You know logically it makes sense. If Spyder had said, "more of the crowd will be black", it would have been fine, but for some reason, describing "a crowd getting darker," is just taken badly by some people. I don't really know why, just that it is.

I feel uncomfortable describing a person as black, or any other color for that matter.

Skin tones can be described better with shades...like in makeup, they don't have white foundation or black foundation. Rather Light, medium, tan, and dark...in that instance, I feel I was more sensitive by describing the skin tone of the crowd as a shade rather than a color.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 23 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Worse...Jon is Irish.

laugh.gif

I know you're messin..haha..If I was asian,black,mexican,russian,or anything else,I'd be proud of it..

Conscience,out of curiousity,what did you think I was??
Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 23 2010, 09:27 PM) *
I feel uncomfortable describing a person as black, or any other color for that matter.

Skin tones can be described better with shades...like in makeup, they don't have white foundation or black foundation. Rather Light, medium, tan, and dark...in that instance, I feel I was more sensitive by describing the skin tone of the crowd as a shade rather than a color.

You know race and words are so interesting. At least from a "political correctness" point of view, I think "black" is more acceptable than describing the shade, yet for some reason, if you were to call an Asian person "yellow" or an American Native "red", that would be deemed racist. I think a lot of it has to do with the historical implications some words carry, but overall, at least for me, what really matters is whether or not the person is speaking from a point of malice or consciously trying to be offensive.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 23 2010, 11:05 PM) *
You know race and words are so interesting. At least from a "political correctness" point of view, I think "black" is more acceptable than describing the shade, yet for some reason, if you were to call an Asian person "yellow" or an American Native "red", that would be deemed racist. I think a lot of it has to do with the historical implications some words carry, but overall, at least for me, what really matters is whether or not the person is speaking from a point of malice or consciously trying to be offensive.

Well that is a lie. Gooks are beige not yellow & a Redskin ain't red they are a muddy brown like shit.
King Eugene
How long does it take for a black woman to take a shit?...Nine months.

Why are jelly beans a lot like the world?...Cuz everyone hates the black ones.

What's the most confusing day in a black neighborhood?...Father's Day.

What would Martin Luther King be if he was white?...Alive.

Q: Why are black people always so strong ?
A: ... because Televisions are getting heavier..

Q: What do you call 1 black person on the moon?
A: A problem

Q: What do you call 1\2 of all black people on the moon?

Q: What do you call all the black people on the moon?
A: Problem Solved

yo mama is so black she went to night school and got marked absent

Q: What do u call two black people in a sleeping bag?
A: Twix

Q: Whats long and hard in harlem?
A: First grade

There is this black kid that goes to school and notices that the teachers treat the white kids better than the black kids. So he goes home and paints himself white and shows his dad. Hey dad look im white! His dad kicks his ass, and says alright go show your mother. Hey mom look im white! His mom beats the crap out of him then says go show your gradma. Hey gradma look im white she beats his ass and sends him to his room. About an hour later all the family comes to his room and says have you learned anything from this? The kid says yeah ive learned i have only been white for an hour and I already hate 3 negros.

A truck driving is driving down the road, when he sees two black guys with a broken-down bicycle.
It's starting to rain so he pulls over to offer a ride.
"Yeahhh man, our bicycle is broken down, both of us we needs a ride."
Ok, says the truck driver, but I dont have room in the cab so you'll have to ride in the trailer.
I also have a whole load of bowling balls in the back, so you'll have to squeeze in.
A few miles later he gets pulled over by two troopers. One trooper is checking the tires, the brakes and when he opens the back doors, he yells out
"emergency! seal off the area"
the other trooper comes running to see what's the problem.
"he got a truckload of nigger eggs, two of them hatched, and they've already stolen a bike!!!

So, a white man and black man were arguing about who was living better.

White: My hair.

Black: Smells like a dog and is ever hardly styled.

White: My House is big
Black: I built your house

White: I have a nicer car.

Black: My girl looks better and rides like a stallion.

White: So does mine

Black: I know

Q: Why did the pharmacist decide to put cotton wool on top of the pills in the pill bottle ?
A: To remind blacks they picked cotton before they sold drugs.......

Three third-graders, a Jew, an Italian, and an African American are on the playground at recess. The Jewish kid suggests that they play a new game. "Let's see who has the largest dick," he says. "Okay," they all agree.
The Jewish kid pulls down his zipper and whips it out. "That's nothing," says the Italian kid. He whips his out. His is a couple of inches longer. Not to be outdone, the African American whips his out. It is by far the biggest, dwarfing the other two in both length and width. The Jewish and Italian kid are stunned and amazed. "Wow, that thing is huge!" they exclaim.
That night, eating dinner at home, the African American's mother asks him what he did at school today.
"Oh, we worked on a science project, had a math test and read out loud from a new book ...and during recess, my friends and I played "Let's see who has the largest dick."
"What kind of game is that, honey?" says the mother.
"Well, me, Sidney and Anthony each pulled out our penises, and I had the biggest! The other kids say its because I'm black. Is that true, Mom?"
The mom replies: "No, honey. It's because you're twenty-three
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 24 2010, 09:43 AM) *
A truck driving is driving down the road, when he sees two black guys with a broken-down bicycle.
Ok, says the truck driver, but I dont have room in the cab so you'll have to ride in the trailer.
I also have a whole load of bowling balls in the back, so you'll have to squeeze in.
A few miles later he gets pulled over by two troopers. One trooper is checking the tires, the brakes and when he opens the back doors, he yells out
"he got a truckload of nigger eggs, two of them hatched, and they've already stolen a bike!!!

LOL that one is a classic.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 23 2010, 06:05 PM) *

Not sure if you've seen this...

"Hotlanta" is living up to its name this winter as Asian-Americans and the city's transit officials debate the decision to rename a train route into the heart of the city's Asian community. It used to be called "Doraville," now it's the "yellow line."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585412,00.html

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 24 2010, 04:43 AM) *
Three third-graders, a Jew, an Italian, and an African American are on the playground at recess. The Jewish kid suggests that they play a new game. "Let's see who has the largest dick," he says. "Okay," they all agree.
The Jewish kid pulls down his zipper and whips it out. "That's nothing," says the Italian kid. He whips his out. His is a couple of inches longer. Not to be outdone, the African American whips his out. It is by far the biggest, dwarfing the other two in both length and width. The Jewish and Italian kid are stunned and amazed. "Wow, that thing is huge!" they exclaim.
That night, eating dinner at home, the African American's mother asks him what he did at school today.
"Oh, we worked on a science project, had a math test and read out loud from a new book ...and during recess, my friends and I played "Let's see who has the largest dick."
"Well, me, Sidney and Anthony each pulled out our penises, and I had the biggest! The other kids say its because I'm black. Is that true, Mom?"

That's an unfair advantage.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 24 2010, 04:43 AM) *
How long does it take for a black woman to take a shit?...Nine months.

Why are jelly beans a lot like the world?...Cuz everyone hates the black ones.

What's the most confusing day in a black neighborhood?...Father's Day.

What would Martin Luther King be if he was white?...Alive.

Q: Why are black people always so strong ?
A: ... because Televisions are getting heavier..

Q: What do you call 1 black person on the moon?

Q: What do you call 1\2 of all black people on the moon?

Q: What do you call all the black people on the moon?
A: Problem Solved

yo mama is so black she went to night school and got marked absent

Q: What do u call two black people in a sleeping bag?
A: Twix

Q: Whats long and hard in harlem?
A: First grade

There is this black kid that goes to school and notices that the teachers treat the white kids better than the black kids. So he goes home and paints himself white and shows his dad. Hey dad look im white! His dad kicks his ass, and says alright go show your mother. Hey mom look im white! His mom beats the crap out of him then says go show your gradma. Hey gradma look im white she beats his ass and sends him to his room. About an hour later all the family comes to his room and says have you learned anything from this? The kid says yeah ive learned i have only been white for an hour and I already hate 3 negros.

So, a white man and black man were arguing about who was living better.

White: My hair.

Black: Smells like a dog and is ever hardly styled.

White: My House is big
Black: I built your house

White: I have a nicer car.

Black: My girl looks better and rides like a stallion.

White: So does mine

Black: I know

Q: Why did the pharmacist decide to put cotton wool on top of the pills in the pill bottle ?
A: To remind blacks they picked cotton before they sold drugs.......

This shit was toooo funny..hahahaaha..Where'd ya find em??
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 24 2010, 10:44 PM) *
This shit was toooo funny..hahahaaha..Where'd ya find em??

man I just googled them shits. hope no one thinks I'm a racist laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 25 2010, 03:55 AM) *
man I just googled them shits. hope no one thinks I'm a racist laugh.gif

Dude you gotta let me know where ya got that Shaq thing in your sig..I gotta have that..

My gym is really diverse and we all joke around about stuff dealin with race from time to time..It doesn't happen a lot but every once in awhile someone will sayin somethin..Also,if you're a fan of the Chappelle show,race is just an issue to laugh about(if you can take a joke)..Yet,I heard he stopped doing the show because he got people mad with his race jokes..It's too bad..I thought it all was funny..The trading spouses one is one of the funniest and he makes fun of white and black people in it..

Snoop
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 25 2010, 11:59 PM) *
Dude you gotta let me know where ya got that Shaq thing in your sig..I gotta have that..

My gym is really diverse and we all joke around about stuff dealin with race from time to time..It doesn't happen a lot but every once in awhile someone will sayin somethin..Also,if you're a fan of the Chappelle show,race is just an issue to laugh about(if you can take a joke)..Yet,I heard he stopped doing the show because he got people mad with his race jokes..It's too bad..I thought it all was funny..The trading spouses one is one of the funniest and he makes fun of white and black people in it..

I heard he stopped the show because he realized people were laughing AT him, not at the ironies in the over-the-top satires he made to criticize race. I think for him, it ended up being akin to the minstrel shows of the 1840s. He walked away from A LOT of money for his principles. I got a lot of respect for him cuz of that.
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 25 2010, 08:30 PM) *
I heard he stopped the show because he realized people were laughing AT him, not at the ironies in the over-the-top satires he made to criticize race. I think for him, it ended up being akin to the minstrel shows of the 1840s. He walked away from A LOT of money for his principles. I got a lot of respect for him cuz of that.

1.) You're a comedian. People laugh at you. That's the point.

2.) For 50 million dollars, I'll shit all over my "principles" and laugh all the way to the bank.

Stupid people are stupid.
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 01:42 AM) *
1.) You're a comedian. People laugh at you. That's the point.

2.) For 50 million dollars, I'll shit all over my "principles" and laugh all the way to the bank.

Stupid people are stupid.

There's a difference between laughing at the jokes of a comedian and laughing at the comedian. I think he was trying to make a point with his comedy, not be a glorified jester.

I guess for him his self-respect was more important than money. dntknw.gif
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 25 2010, 09:53 PM) *
There's a difference between laughing at the jokes of a comedian and laughing at the comedian. I think he was trying to make a point with his comedy, not be a glorified jester.

Semantics. He had a nervous breakdown because he couldn't deal with the pressure, and claimed to have creative differences with Comedy Central. The rest, about people "laughing too hard" at his racial jokes, and the self-respect nonsense, is just bullshit being touted by apologists.

I guess for him his self-respect was more important than money. dntknw.gif

Whatever, dude. If you can't do a fucking TV show for 2 years and $50 million dollars, you are a fucking idiot. I don't care what your reason is. It was his fucking show man, he could do whatever he wanted, point blank period.

There ain't damn near anything I wouldn't do for $50 million. I'd rather loathe myself in luxury than to loathe myself in poverty. That's why I love dumb motherfuckers who claim "money can't buy happiness." Motherfucker, being damn broke can't buy it either!
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 05:51 AM) *
Semantics. He had a nervous breakdown because he couldn't deal with the pressure, and claimed to have creative differences with Comedy Central. The rest, about people "laughing too hard" at his racial jokes, and the self-respect nonsense, is just bullshit being touted by apologists.

It sounds like "creative differences" falls into the category of the network taking the show in a direction he didn't want it to go. "Laughing too hard at racial jokes" could easily be the reason. To be completely fair, how exactly would you know which one it is?

Whatever, dude. If you can't do a fucking TV show for 2 years and $50 million dollars, you are a fucking idiot. I don't care what your reason is. It was his fucking show man, he could do whatever he wanted, point blank period.

This actually contradicts with what you just said. If he was having "creative differences with Comedy Central", then he obviously could not do whatever he wanted.

There ain't damn near anything I wouldn't do for $50 million. I'd rather loathe myself in luxury than to loathe myself in poverty. That's why I love dumb motherfuckers who claim "money can't buy happiness." Motherfucker, being damn broke can't buy it either!

LOL. True enough, but I wouldn't say Dave Chappelle is "loathing in poverty". He turned down quite a lucrative offer, but I think he's doing fine for himself considering the movies, comedy gigs, and two very successful seasons he has already done. After all, there is only so much money you need.
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 26 2010, 02:10 AM) *
It sounds like "creative differences" falls into the category of the network taking the show in a direction he didn't want it to go. "Laughing too hard at racial jokes" could easily be the reason. To be completely fair, how exactly would you know which one it is?

It doesn't matter which one it was. It doesn't justify walking away from $50 million. I'd denigrate my own race all day every day for $50 million. I'd perform onstage in blackface in the middle of Harlem for $50 million.

If he was having "creative differences with Comedy Central", then he obviously could not do whatever he wanted.

To be fair, how do you know he really was having creative differences? And, to be fair, how do you know those creative differences entailed direct orders from Comedy Central on what was/wasn't acceptable?

Your argument cuts both ways, see? Now. To put it more simply, creative differences in no way implies Comedy Central dropped ridiculous demands on Dave Chapelle. According to Dave's own friends working on the show, Dave wanted to take the show in a completely different direction than what it had been. Considering Comedy Central was paying his salary, I think they had some right to want to know why he was changing a proven formula at the drop of a hat. Don't you?

The truth is, Dave Chapelle cracked under the pressure. Period. Everything else is semantics.

LOL. True enough, but I wouldn't say Dave Chappelle is "loathing in poverty". He turned down quite a lucrative offer, but I think he's doing fine for himself considering the movies, comedy gigs, and two very successful seasons he has already done. After all, there is only so much money you need.

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here on planet earth, we're suffering from a financial crisis the likes of which have not been seen. I think it is safe to say, in light of current affairs, one can never have too much money. Just my opinion.
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 09:13 AM) *
It doesn't matter which one it was. It doesn't justify walking away from $50 million. I'd denigrate my own race all day every day for $50 million. I'd perform onstage in blackface in the middle of Harlem for $50 million.

LOL. Well, I'm assuming you're black then? If that's the case, to each their own I suppose. Otherwise, I think it's hard to judge what someone of another ethnic group should and shouldn't do if you're not part of that group. But I will say that there are definitely those that would do that. I guess Dave Chappelle isn't one of them.

To be fair, how do you know he really was having creative differences? And, to be fair, how do you know those creative differences entailed direct orders from Comedy Central on what was/wasn't acceptable?

I was just using what you said in your argument:

Your argument cuts both ways, see? Now. To put it more simply, creative differences in no way implies Comedy Central dropped ridiculous demands on Dave Chapelle. According to Dave's own friends working on the show, Dave wanted to take the show in a completely different direction than what it had been. Considering Comedy Central was paying his salary, I think they had some right to want to know why he was changing a proven formula at the drop of a hat. Don't you?

The truth is, Dave Chapelle cracked under the pressure. Period. Everything else is semantics.

Yes, I think Comedy Central had every right in making those type of demands since they were signing his paychecks, but Chappelle had just as much of a right to accept or reject those demands. That's not really the issue here. I think we both agree both sides had their respective rights, it's a matter of whether or not we think it was "stupid" to walk away from such a contract. You think it was. I don't.

And truth be told, neither of us know what the REAL reason was; all we have to go off of is hearsay of the media. I suppose my main point is that I can understand him leaving if the actual reason was because of "people taking his jokes the wrong way."

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here on planet earth, we're suffering from a financial crisis the likes of which have not been seen. I think it is safe to say, in light of current affairs, one can never have too much money. Just my opinion.

Dave Chappelle walked away from the contract well before the financial crisis ever struck, so it's unfair to use that argument when looking in hindsight, he would have never known at the time. Maybe if the same deal was struck today, it might be different, but it also doesn't confirm that he's "loathing in poverty" today. He could have been very smart with his money.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 26 2010, 06:10 AM) *

Yet if Pac turns down a similar offer because the demands made were not acceptable to him he is a cheat? After all Pac ain't queuing up at a soup kitchen.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 26 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Yet if Pac turns down a similar offer because the demands made were not acceptable to him he is a cheat? After all Pac ain't queuing up at a soup kitchen.

Lol. I KNEW this was going to go back to Pac for some reason, but I don't see the two situations anywhere comparable except for both guys walking away from huge amounts of money. For Chappelle, it was for his personal belief and integrity, but for Pac, the steroid accusations never seemed to bother him until they suddenly asked for a test. On top of that, his reasoning just didn't make any sense. I mean he could have used one of the MANY more acceptable reasons, but he chose...."needles weaken me?" I mean come the fuck on...

I mean shit, I've gone over this REPEATEDLY in the other forum, so I just don't find it necessary to bring it up here. Plus, I think Spyder is tired of me converting his threads into pro-Pontoon ads or Chris Byrd Hate rallies. laugh.gif
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 26 2010, 08:54 AM) *
And truth be told, neither of us know what the REAL reason was; all we have to go off of is hearsay of the media. I suppose my main point is that I can understand him leaving if the actual reason was because of "people taking his jokes the wrong way."

I thought that everyone knew the reason he walked away...

It was during the viewing of the Pixie sketch. People laughed at the stereotypes, but Dave thought that people shouldn't laugh at those parts. He thought that they were setting black people back 20 years. His producers, who have worked with Dave for YEARS, said that they were funny and didn't understand why Dave would be upset that people were laughing at the sketch.

Dave freaked out, and flew to Africa...leaving Comedy Central with an extra $50 million.
Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 26 2010, 11:31 PM) *
I thought that everyone knew the reason he walked away...

It was during the viewing of the Pixie sketch. People laughed at the stereotypes, but Dave thought that people shouldn't laugh at those parts. He thought that they were setting black people back 20 years. His producers, who have worked with Dave for YEARS, said that they were funny and didn't understand why Dave would be upset that people were laughing at the sketch.

Dave freaked out, and flew to Africa...leaving Comedy Central with an extra $50 million.

Hmm. Well I haven't seen the skit myself, but that's something along the lines of what I heard, and if that is indeed the case, then I stand by my argument. Not only do I understand him walking away from that kind of dough, but I respect the hell out of him for valuing his principles above money.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 26 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Hmm. Well I haven't seen the skit myself, but that's something along the lines of what I heard, and if that is indeed the case, then I stand by my argument. Not only do I understand him walking away from that kind of dough, but I respect the hell out of him for valuing his principles above money.

The thing is that his principles changed once he got paid. He was doing the same jokes when he was broke as when he was rich...so how much can you really respect that?

It's not like his "principles" got in the way when he was coming up...all I'm saying is that it's a HELLUVA lot less respectable if you wait until AFTER you're rich to make a stand on principles...

Here's the sketch:

They made a few other pixie skits with different races too...

Here's a link to the Hispanic pixie: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....p;videoId=71768
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 26 2010, 09:54 AM) *
LOL. Well, I'm assuming you're black then? If that's the case, to each their own I suppose. Otherwise, I think it's hard to judge what someone of another ethnic group should and shouldn't do if you're not part of that group.

I'm not judging what an ethnic group should do. I'm judging what every human should do. If you can't crack jokes for $50 million then you're an idiot. I don't care who you are, or what kind of jokes you're telling.

Yes, I think Comedy Central had every right in making those type of demands since they were signing his paychecks, but Chappelle had just as much of a right to accept or reject those demands.

Yes. He had a right to voice his opinion. That's not the issue. The issue is that he signed a contract to render his services, and he was paid handsomely to do it. He then decided that he wanted to offer services that differed, to some degree, to the ones he originally signed to provide.

That'd be like me hiring an IT guy to service my computers for 2 years, but suddenly he decides he doesn't like people calling him the IT man, and he doesn't feel comfortable when people ask him to service their computers. So he tells me, sorry dude, I think I want to switch over to valve maintenance. And I say, "Dave, what do you know about valves?"

And Dave says, "Damn it, man, this shit ain't about valves!"

And then I say, "Okay Dave, what is it about then?"

To which Dave replies, "It's about being an IT man! Everyone think 'cause I'm mister computer man, that a nigga should just show up and fix a computer whenever the white man want it. Well, fuck that! I'm in valves now!"

And I'm like, "Yeah, but Dave, we paid you for IT. We didn't pay you for Valves. We got Hobo Steve doing Valves. And you don't even know anything about valves. What if you just, you know, took some time off, and then came back to do IT for us when you're ready."

At which point, Dave goes "Fuck yo' job, nigga! Wu-Tang!" and then quits the job, breaks contract, gets high, and flies to Africa on a spiritual journey. And guys like you try to spin it like he did it out of self-respect. The man did what he did out of sheer lunacy.

Man, you tell jokes and you get mad because people are laughing "too hard?" STFU. That's just gay.

Dave Chappelle walked away from the contract well before the financial crisis ever struck, so it's unfair to use that argument when looking in hindsight, he would have never known at the time. Maybe if the same deal was struck today, it might be different, but it also doesn't confirm that he's "loathing in poverty" today. He could have been very smart with his money.

I wasn't using the financial crisis to argue Dave should've stayed. I was using it to argue you're assertation that there is only so much money one need have.
ROLL DEEP
All I know was that chicken/fish sketch was funny as fuck.

Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ Feb 27 2010, 01:23 AM) *
The thing is that his principles changed once he got paid. He was doing the same jokes when he was broke as when he was rich...so how much can you really respect that?

It's not like his "principles" got in the way when he was coming up...all I'm saying is that it's a HELLUVA lot less respectable if you wait until AFTER you're rich to make a stand on principles...

Here's the sketch:

They made a few other pixie skits with different races too...

Here's a link to the Hispanic pixie: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....p;videoId=71768

LMAO. Fuck I wish Dave was still on the air.

BUT, I can TOTALLY see how he would think this skit potentially set black people back 20 years. I mean he's basically trying to be over-the-top about black face minstrel shows. From what I heard, someone in the audience was laughing at him, not the irony he was trying to point out. Historically, minstrel shows were EXTREMELY denigrating to the black race, so for me, it all depends on how the audience interpreted it. I mean how did ya'll interpret that joke?
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 27 2010, 04:31 AM) *
I'm not judging what an ethnic group should do. I'm judging what every human should do. If you can't crack jokes for $50 million then you're an idiot. I don't care who you are, or what kind of jokes you're telling.

Categorizing ALL people into one homogeneous "human" group is being overly simplistic. Human beings are defined by their experience in the world which is often separated by things like race, gender, class, culture, whatever. For instance, a woman experiences life differently from a man, the experience of a working-class person is different from a wealthy person's, my experience as an Asian person is different from a white persons. You can't homogenize all those very distinct experiences into a "human" race because it dismisses those very real experiences that people in those groups live through. Human beings are a species, not a race.

Would I do wear a ching-chong-Chinaman suit and recited ancient Chinese proverbs on national television for $50 Million dollars? Shit, truth be told, I don't know. Asians have done a lot to try and break those type of social media stereotypes that really affect how other people think of Asians. For black people breaking down stereotypes, it's like 1000X's more of a struggle, so I would like to think I could walk away for the sake of my principles and dignity. Put it this way, if I did do an Asian version of a Minstrel show, I would lose the respect and friendship of ALOT of people I know. Would I trade them for money? I can't confidently say "no" because frankly, I was never put in Dave Chappelle's shoes, which is really, my point.

Yes. He had a right to voice his opinion. That's not the issue. The issue is that he signed a contract to render his services, and he was paid handsomely to do it. He then decided that he wanted to offer services that differed, to some degree, to the ones he originally signed to provide.

That'd be like me hiring an IT guy to service my computers for 2 years, but suddenly he decides he doesn't like people calling him the IT man, and he doesn't feel comfortable when people ask him to service their computers. So he tells me, sorry dude, I think I want to switch over to valve maintenance. And I say, "Dave, what do you know about valves?"

And Dave says, "Damn it, man, this shit ain't about valves!"

And then I say, "Okay Dave, what is it about then?"

To which Dave replies, "It's about being an IT man! Everyone think 'cause I'm mister computer man, that a nigga should just show up and fix a computer whenever the white man want it. Well, fuck that! I'm in valves now!"

And I'm like, "Yeah, but Dave, we paid you for IT. We didn't pay you for Valves. We got Hobo Steve doing Valves. And you don't even know anything about valves. What if you just, you know, took some time off, and then came back to do IT for us when you're ready."

At which point, Dave goes "Fuck yo' job, nigga! Wu-Tang!" and then quits the job, breaks contract, gets high, and flies to Africa on a spiritual journey. And guys like you try to spin it like he did it out of self-respect. The man did what he did out of sheer lunacy.

Man, you tell jokes and you get mad because people are laughing "too hard?" STFU. That's just gay.

LMAO. "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong". I fucking LOVED that series because it taught critical mofos like me how to pick and choose your battles. When I go to community/city board meetings, some people still use the term "orientals" for godssake, but I have to bite my tongue because it would be damaging for my organization if I argued over that. But I don't think it applies to what Dave did. I mean did he break the contract and it's a legal breach issue we're talking about or did he just not want to accept it and you think that's stupid? Ok, I KNOW you think it's stupid, but my argument, like I said above, is that it's unfair to draw that conclusion when you aren't, and never can be, in his shoes. Simply being "human" isn't enough.

I wasn't using the financial crisis to argue Dave should've stayed. I was using it to argue you're assertation that there is only so much money one need have.

Well in that case, my point still stands. I never said you don't need any money. That's just fucking asinine. You only need enough to sustain yourself and pursue whatever aspirations you may have, even if there is a economic crisis going on. I think $50million in addition to the millions he already made is quite exorbitant for ONE person, even in these times, but hey, that's just me.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 27 2010, 11:57 AM) *
LMAO. Fuck I wish Dave was still on the air.

BUT, I can TOTALLY see how he would think this skit potentially set black people back 20 years. I mean he's basically trying to be over-the-top about black face minstrel shows. From what I heard, someone in the audience was laughing at him, not the irony he was trying to point out. Historically, minstrel shows were EXTREMELY denigrating to the black race, so for me, it all depends on how the audience interpreted it. I mean how did ya'll interpret that joke?

I laughed at the parts that were funny. The Pixies, his reactions to them...all of it.

Bottom line is that it's a comedy sketch meant to be funny...and it was HILARIOUS!
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 27 2010, 12:27 PM) *
Categorizing ALL people into one homogeneous "human" group is being overly simplistic.

1.) Categorizing people by pigmentation is being overly complex.

2.) I once heard an axiom that said, "It doesn't matter if its a white cat or a black cat, so long as it catches mice." You figure out who said it.

Human beings are defined by their experience in the world which is often separated by things like race, gender, class, culture, whatever. For instance, a woman experiences life differently from a man, the experience of a working-class person is different from a wealthy person's, my experience as an Asian person is different from a white persons. You can't homogenize all those very distinct experiences into a "human" race because it dismisses those very real experiences that people in those groups live through. Human beings are a species, not a race.

"Asian" is not a race, by the way. "White" itself is not even a race. I won't take this discussion any further until it is clear to me you have a deeper understanding of the topic you are broaching.

Carry on.
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 28 2010, 03:02 AM) *
1.) Categorizing people by pigmentation is being overly complex.

2.) I once heard an axiom that said, "It doesn't matter if its a white cat or a black cat, so long as it catches mice." You figure out who said it.

"Asian" is not a race, by the way. "White" itself is not even a race. I won't take this discussion any further until it is clear to me you have a deeper understanding of the topic you are broaching.

Carry on.

Since you didn't address ANYTHING I brought up, and tried to brush me off as "unqualified" to speak about race without any reasoning, I'm gonna assume you have nothing else to say about it.

Carry on indeed.
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Feb 27 2010, 11:35 PM) *
Since you didn't address ANYTHING I brought up, and tried to brush me off as "unqualified" to speak about race without any reasoning, I'm gonna assume you have nothing else to say about it.

Carry on indeed.

I addressed your notion that classifying humans as humans was somehow too simplistic, and I addressed your erroneous implication that "asian" and "white" were races, though I can understand you thinking "white" was a race, since it has been bandied about so much that it has come to be accepted fact. Nevermind the genetic evidence that completely refutes such a notion.

But to consider "Asian" a race is laughable. Hardcore laughable. You're referring to locality with that, son, not race.

If you want to argue that locality effects behavior, and that, as such, humans from different regions exhibit different behavioral aspects, by all means, do so. I will support your argument.

If you want to argue that people with different pigmentation might be subjected to bias or stereotype, by all means, do so. I will support your argument.

If you want to argue that humans with different genders might be treated differently in society due solely to their gender, by all means, do so. I will support your argument.

If you want to argue that certain human beings with certain pigmentation are more prone to certain types of behavior than other types, by all means, do so. But understand that you are on a slippery slope, and leave the door wide open for disaster on too many fronts. I will not refute your point, because I won't have to. There will be too many other people happy enough to drop to that kind of level, and sling shit with the monkeys in some endless debate that will, in the end, achieve nothing but posturing and hurt feelings.

So yeah, carry on. My initial argument still stands. Anyone who walks away from telling jokes for $50 million is a fucking IDIOT, regardless of race, religion, reason, or creed. Or gender, or locality, or whatever fucking little twist you can find to separate man from man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.