Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayorga in MMA
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JonnyBlaze
What do ya all think??I think he could be puttin a lot of MMA'ers to sleep once he gets in there..
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 25 2010, 06:53 PM) *
What do ya all think??I think he could be puttin a lot of MMA'ers to sleep once he gets in there..

I think he'll be as much of a dickhead in MMA as he was in boxing.

How much success will he have? Who knows. He loves to brawl and takes a pretty good shot but his defense is so bad that even MMA guys and their terrible stand-up can exploit it. I can't imagine anything good happening if it goes to the ground.

Considering his typical mental state, odds are he'll get DQ'd more than he'll win.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Feb 25 2010, 07:36 PM) *
I think he'll be as much of a dickhead in MMA as he was in boxing.

How much success will he have? Who knows. He loves to brawl and takes a pretty good shot but his defense is so bad that even MMA guys and their terrible stand-up can exploit it. I can't imagine anything good happening if it goes to the ground.

Considering his typical mental state, odds are he'll get DQ'd more than he'll win.

hahahha..Getting DQ'd a lot is a big possibility..I think that if he got taken to the ground,he'd go crazy as hell and waste a lot of energy..As far as stand up,I think if he hits anyone,they are goin down..He doesn't have the best technique but he hits hard as hell..
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 25 2010, 07:58 PM) *
hahahha..Getting DQ'd a lot is a big possibility..I think that if he got taken to the ground,he'd go crazy as hell and waste a lot of energy..As far as stand up,I think if he hits anyone,they are goin down..He doesn't have the best technique but he hits hard as hell..

If.

That's the word.

If he fights a disciplined fight like he did against Vargas and in the Forrest rematch, throwing compact shots and staying focused instead of clowning all the time and just winging power shots with reckless abandon, he could do some damage. If he fights a typical Mayorga fight, it won't end well.

He'll get taken down and burn up huge amounts of energy in a panicked effort to get back to his feet and it won't work. My thoughts exactly.
Warlord
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 25 2010, 06:53 PM) *

I think he'll get taken down and pounded out or submitted, the same way any other boxer would who thinks they can just transition over to MMA.

And just to stop any arguments from springing up from the hardcore boxing pundits who gets their panties in a bunch everytime the word MMA is mentioned, I think every mixed martial artist who tries to step over into boxing will get decimated within 3 rounds, period; assuming the competition is legit.
Lil-lightsout
To me it all depends on the type of competion he faces. I think he has a good shot of KO'ing anyone with his power though. Regardless, I for some reason am interested in seeing a fight with him in MMA.
SmartyBeardo
How bout a MMA v Boxers showdown card.
Warlord
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 25 2010, 09:47 PM) *
How bout a MMA v Boxers showdown card.

We've seen enough already.

Kazushi Sakuraba already owned Rubin Williams on his feet before subbing him in RD1.

Yoshihiro Akiyama armbarred the "legendary" Frans Botha in RD1.

Kimbo freakin slice took Ray Mercer down and submitted him with a guillotine in RD1.

Jeremy Williams is about the only boxer whose looked even halfway decent so far, but he hasn't fought in nearly 2 years and is archaic.

Why don't boxers stick to boxing, and mixed martial artists stick to MMA. That'd be cool.

Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 06:00 AM) *

Kazushi Sakuraba already owned Rubin Williams on his feet before subbing him in RD1.

Kimbo freakin slice took Ray Mercer down and submitted him with a guillotine in RD1.

Jeremy Williams is about the only boxer whose looked even halfway decent so far, but he hasn't fought in nearly 2 years and is archaic.

Why don't boxers stick to boxing, and mixed martial artists stick to MMA. That'd be cool.

laugh.gif
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 01:00 AM) *

When I was a kid, my dad told me more than once that "boxers are soft outside the ring." Of course, I didn't believe him. What he meant was that their hands are soft, literally.

My dad was a farmer. He bucked hay, dug ditches and fought like a badger. He taught me to use everything at my disposal in a fight. Hit first, kick, bite and break anything within distance, and ask questions later. Of course, I didn't believe him.

Then I got jumped by a couple of kids my age. I knocked one on the ground and jumped on him, but the other got a chock hold on me from behind.

Since then, although I still have a habit of allowing my opponents to strike first, I follow my father's advice. It has served me well.

You're right. Boxers have no business in an MMA cage.
Warlord
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 26 2010, 01:38 AM) *
When I was a kid, my dad told me more than once that "boxers are soft outside the ring." Of course, I didn't believe him. What he meant was that their hands are soft, literally.

My dad was a farmer. He bucked hay, dug ditches and fought like a badger. He taught me to use everything at my disposal in a fight. Hit first, kick, bite and break anything within distance, and ask questions later. Of course, I didn't believe him.

Then I got jumped by a couple of kids my age. I knocked one on the ground and jumped on him, but the other got a chock hold on me from behind.

Since then, although I still have a habit of allowing my opponents to strike first, I follow my father's advice. It has served me well.

You're right. Boxers have no business in an MMA cage.

Haha, your dad sounds like mine. The old man didn't teach me much, but he did give me one little doozey that I've carried with me all my days. "If you can't win, get a weapon." The old man didn't abide losing. Under any circumstances.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 01:00 AM) *

What about the same old grizzled washed up Mercer Knocking Out Tim Sylvia with one right hand?

Personally, I don't care what fighters of each others sport does, as far as trying the other sport out. What does irritate me is boxers or MMA guys talking shit they are going to do the other sport but never do anyway(Diaz, Koons, Arlvoski, Toney, Mayweather, Cintron, Silva, etc). Again, I do not know alot about MMA, and I know you do. Any of the MMA guys going to fight pro, or just talk? I know Silva did fight before. Anyway feel free to set me straight on the facts. Just curious.
Warlord
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 26 2010, 04:32 AM) *
What about the same old grizzled washed up Mercer Knocking Out Tim Sylvia with one right hand?

Personally, I don't care what fighters of each others sport does, as far as trying the other sport out. What does irritate me is boxers or MMA guys talking shit they are going to do the other sport but never do anyway(Diaz, Koons, Arlvoski, Toney, Mayweather, Cintron, Silva, etc). Again, I do not know alot about MMA, and I know you do. Any of the MMA guys going to fight pro, or just talk? I know Silva did fight before. Anyway feel free to set me straight on the facts. Just curious.

There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did. I mean a hardcore, serious waxing. Not one of them could survive with a legit professional.

MMA and boxing are too different. No one from one side could go to the other and dominate. Anderson Silva would get his ass obliterated in a boxing ring. In fact, I'd love to see it happen, just to shut him and his gay-ass fans up.

In the same vein; James Toney is probably my favorite active fighter today, and believe me, he don't want none of what them boys in the octagon got waiting for him.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 11:00 AM) *
In the same vein; James Toney is probably my favorite active fighter today, and believe me, he don't want none of what them boys in the octagon got waiting for him.

I would love to see Toney in the Octagon. He would get smoked real good.
Warlord
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 26 2010, 05:26 AM) *
I would love to see Toney in the Octagon. He would get smoked real good.

I love James, but man, he'd get put to sleep, probably by rear-naked choke. I don't ever want to see him get humbled like that.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 11:17 AM) *
I love James, but man, he'd get put to sleep, probably by rear-naked choke. I don't ever want to see him get humbled like that.

I would be very happy to see him in a gogoplata or a kimura. He is so fucking dumb he probably would not tap.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM) *
To me it all depends on the type of competion he faces. I think he has a good shot of KO'ing anyone with his power though. Regardless, I for some reason am interested in seeing a fight with him in MMA.

From the standpoint of the crazy antics of Mayorga, I LOVE IT!!! I will be sure to try to watch!!!

But many times, it is a very difficult transition from one sport to the other. I could see him taking a couple of tomato cans, but losing the first time he gets in with even a 20 contender guy. He doesn't have the mental state or discipline for this. Mayorga is always entertaining. But in most of his fights became more Wild Man than good fighter.

If he was a heavyweight or something, he'd be great in the WWE! LOL! It would be staged so he wouldn't have to worry to much about getting hurt in there. However, MMA is much harder.

Is Mayorga really training for this or is it a publicity stunt?

Jack
Douchebag
I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight" or vice versa wink.gif . The fact is that you are overlooking the natural talent and experience that the boxer or MM artist may have. Kermit Cintron might do well in MMA, the dude has better stand up than 80 percent of MMA guys and he knows how to stuff takedowns (high school wrestler before he boxed)so he can control the action in fights. Do I think that he could transition and take on the BJ Penn's in the world.............Hell no. But I could see him being succesful against a guy like Joe Stevenson, why not?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 06:17 AM) *

That's impossible... Toney doesn't have a neck.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Haha, your dad sounds like mine. The old man didn't teach me much, but he did give me one little doozey that I've carried with me all my days. "If you can't win, get a weapon." The old man didn't abide losing. Under any circumstances.

My brother worked with my dad until he retired to a 200 acre farm. He tells the story of a day he was riding with him (my dad insisted on driving, which is another story) and they stopped for gas. My brother doesn't know why, but when he came out from paying, this bear of a young dude is towering over the old man (5'6", and 60ish) talking shit as my dad replaced the gas nozzle.

My brother gets there as my dad calmly takes off his glasses, looks up into the younger man's eyes and says, "you had a long life ahead of you."

And the big ass dude started laughing nervously as he backed away. The last thing the punk said as he got to his door to drive away was, "that old man is nuts."

That is true.
Warlord
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 26 2010, 08:04 AM) *
I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight" or vice versa wink.gif . The fact is that you are overlooking the natural talent and experience that the boxer or MM artist may have. Kermit Cintron might do well in MMA, the dude has better stand up than 80 percent of MMA guys and he knows how to stuff takedowns (high school wrestler before he boxed)so he can control the action in fights. Do I think that he could transition and take on the BJ Penn's in the world.............Hell no. But I could see him being succesful against a guy like Joe Stevenson, why not?

How would Kermit the Frog do against "Nick Sanchez?"
AussieLad
I reckon vitor belfort could do well in boxing simply because of his physical attributes. Blistering speed and power in his hands make him a difficult opponent for anyone

He's a rarity, most MMA fighters would struggle badly. But i think Vitor could clear out B class boxers, and have a punchers chance vs A class boxers in his weight range.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 10:37 PM) *
How would Kermit the Frog do against "Nick Sanchez?"

I figure Kermit would do great if he sticks to his "Principles" because "Nick Sanchez" doesn't exist.
Douchebag
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Feb 26 2010, 11:49 PM) *
I reckon vitor belfort could do well in boxing simply because of his physical attributes. Blistering speed and power in his hands make him a difficult opponent for anyone

He's a rarity, most MMA fighters would struggle badly. But i think Vitor could clear out B class boxers, and have a punchers chance vs A class boxers in his weight range.

Exactly, there are exceptions on both sides of the equation.
BigG
Mayorga has been talking about this for a while I'm sure he got some trainers to teach him to grapple.
OaktownGhost
QUOTE (BigG @ Feb 27 2010, 11:59 AM) *
Mayorga has been talking about this for a while I'm sure he got some trainers to teach him to grapple.

I thought he was going to fight against El Perro last year?

Is he still going to box?
Warlord
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 27 2010, 06:22 AM) *
I figure Kermit would do great if he sticks to his "Principles" because "Nick Sanchez" doesn't exist.

My point exactly. Now go edit your post in the MMA section where you erroneously referred to Nick Diaz as "Nick Sanchez."

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *
I really don't know much about about Gomi except that he has loss to Nick Sanchez and apparently it was an upset.

And after you do that, go reread my post in this topic.

There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did.

Now look at your asinine post.

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 26 2010, 09:04 AM) *
I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight."

Now read my post. Again.

There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did.

Now don't you feel dumb?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 27 2010, 11:50 PM) *
My point exactly. Now go edit your post in the MMA section where you erroneously referred to Nick Diaz as "Nick Sanchez."
And after you do that, go reread my post in this topic.
Now look at your asinine post.
Now read my post. Again.
Now don't you feel dumb?

A boxer would convert to MMA a lot easier than a MMA guy to boxing..Boxers master their hands and go into MMA with one aspect mastered..That aspect is also how every fight starts,on your feet..This is my opinion as I've said it before..
Warlord
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 28 2010, 05:00 PM) *
A boxer would convert to MMA a lot easier than a MMA guy to boxing..Boxers master their hands and go into MMA with one aspect mastered..That aspect is also how every fight starts,on your feet..This is my opinion as I've said it before..

I disagree Johnny, and here's why. A boxer who converts to MMA only has one tiny fraction of the essential skillset required to compete in that sport. All the standup in the world won't help you on the ground. It won't help you escape submissions. It won't help you check leg kicks. Nothing.

Bas Rutten was once on some documentary for Discovery (along with Randy Cotoure and several others), and he had his punching power measured by a computer similar to those used to conduct the force generated during car crashes. Anyway, his punching power ranked above the average heavyweight boxers, and equaled the power of top-flight punchers.

One of the analysts noted Bas's akward stance, and found it strange because it didn't match the stance of a pro boxer's. Bas responded that pro boxing stances don't work in MMA, as a general rule. Here are the reasons why:

1.) A traditional boxing stance has changed little over the years. A fighter leads with either his left or right foot out front. With his hands held so high, he is susceptible to leg kicks. He can never check them. (This is why Kazushi Sakuraba was able to beat pro-boxer Rubin Williams in a standup fight, before taking him to the ground and submitting him. It is also why Shogun Rua was able to decimate Lyoto Machida in their first fight. Machida's not a boxer, but his karate stance resembles that of a traditional boxer, except that his hands are generally a little lower. This allowed Shogun to chop away at his legs for 5 grueling rounds. )

2.) Bas noted that as an offensive fighter, and especially as a defensive fighter or counter striker, a mixed martial artists has about a tenth of a second to process his opponent's offensive action, and less than that to decide what he himself will do in return. Is he going to throw a left straight, left hook, right straight, right hook, left front kick, left sidekick, left high kick, left low kick, left roundhouse, right front kick, right sidekick, right high kick, right low kick, right roundhouse; will he attempt to initiate a clinch, in the clinch will he fire a left knee or right knee; will I have to counter that clinch or will I try to catch his knee coming in; will he shoot for a takedown or is it a fake?

All of these things are JUST related to standup. The ground-game is a COMPLETELY different animal. No pro boxer in the world is ready for this. These skills are not natural, they are learned. And before some dipshit comes in talking about, "Oh, well maybe this boxer wrestled in high school." STFU.

High-school wrestling MAY improve your takedown abilities. Yes. But it wont help you do anything once you're on the ground. It won't help you defend submissions. No matter who you are, you must respect the Martial Arts portion of Mixed Martial Arts. High school wrestling ain't enough. Look at guys like Matt Hughes, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, etc... They were all world class wrestlers, and they are no longer relevant to the sport. Why? Because wrestling was all they had, and the game passed them by.

What do fighters like Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort have to do to cross over into boxing? They have to drop a majority of their fight game, and focus on their stand-up. Period.

Theoretically, which one sounds easier to you?
Spyder
QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 28 2010, 10:30 PM) *
What do fighters like Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort have to do to cross over into boxing? They have to drop a majority of their fight game, and focus on their stand-up. Period.

Theoretically, which one sounds easier to you?

That's a gross generalization. I was with you until that point.

You could break down the angles of a boxing attack just as far as you did for an MMA fighter. To say that preparing to transition to boxing is as simple as "focus on their stand-up", is just as ridiculous as saying that converting to MMA is as easy as "focusing on your ground game".
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Mar 1 2010, 12:35 AM) *
That's a gross generalization. I was with you until that point.

You could break down the angles of a boxing attack just as far as you did for an MMA fighter.

You're right. I could. But it would all still pertain to "stand-up." Which is what I said those fighters would have to concentrate on. I didn't think it necessary for me to break down what types of punches, feints, and counter-punches an MMA fighter would have to focus on if he moved to boxing, since we are on a boxing board. I am quite sure everyone here is aware of that already.

I considered a breakdown for boxing to be a waste of your, and more importantly, my, time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

To say that preparing to transition to boxing is as simple as "focus on their stand-up", is just as ridiculous as saying that converting to MMA is as easy as "focusing on your ground game".

No it isn't. Boxing is all about "Stand-up." For anyone unfamiliar with the term, "Stand-up" refers to fighting. While standing. Which is what boxing encompasses. Entirely. Is "Stand-up" an umbrella term? Yes. Is it a generalization? No. I assume everyone here knows the difference.

Again, I considered it a waste of time to specify what sort of "Stand Up" an athlete wishing to transition to boxing should focus on, as we are on a boxing forum, and it is painfully obvious everyone here already knows the kinds of techniques said athlete should focus on.

I spent more time breaking down what a boxer would have to do to transition over to MMA, because, again, we are on a boxing board, and not everyone here is familiar enough with the sport to know what a boxer should do.
AussieLad
To simplify my perspective on this i would say that a pure MMA fighter has some grounding in boxing. A limited base with which to start to build on the transition to MMA.

A pure boxer transitioning to MMA has no base in wrestling, kicking, knees or jiu jitsu.

In order to survive on the ground, it takes more than just wrestling alone to defend submissions. And as warlord has already pointed out, the traditinal boxing stance is open to leg kicks which are not to be underestimated in terms of physical pain, as well as limiting mobility, speed, and power generation for throwng punches.

The one equal factor between the two is time. Time learning a new skillset. A boxer transitioning to MMA must divide his time between the skills, thereby limiting his progression. A MMA fighter needs to focus on just one, and add in the fact that he already has some grounding in boxing already. Whereas the boxer would be a complete novice at wrestling and JJ.

Its simple maths. Divided efforts (transitioning to MMA) vs singularly focused efforts (transitioning to boxing)

I would also argue that saying a boxers hands are already a perfected skill, thereby allowing him a chance to focus solely on wrestling is also flawed in the sense that a boxers stance is not perfect for MMA. Some of the aspects of the boxing stance would actually need to be unlearned in order to deal with leg kicks. This will have a flow on effect to the whole of the boxers "perfected" game. Sure the MMA fighter must make changes to his stance as well, but my point is that the argument that the boxer is already "perfect at one aspect" is essentially false... The boxer has to unlearn ingrained stand up skills, as well as divide his efforts across several new ones

But its by no means a smooth transition for either example.
Spyder
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 1 2010, 04:09 AM) *
To simplify my perspective on this i would say that a pure MMA fighter has some grounding in boxing. A limited base with which to start to build on the transition to MMA.

A pure boxer transitioning to MMA has no base in wrestling, kicking, knees or jiu jitsu.

In order to survive on the ground, it takes more than just wrestling alone to defend submissions. And as warlord has already pointed out, the traditinal boxing stance is open to leg kicks which are not to be underestimated in terms of physical pain, as well as limiting mobility, speed, and power generation for throwng punches.

The one equal factor between the two is time. Time learning a new skillset. A boxer transitioning to MMA must divide his time between the skills, thereby limiting his progression. A MMA fighter needs to focus on just one, and add in the fact that he already has some grounding in boxing already. Whereas the boxer would be a complete novice at wrestling and JJ.

Its simple maths. Divided efforts (transitioning to MMA) vs singularly focused efforts (transitioning to boxing)

I would also argue that saying a boxers hands are already a perfected skill, thereby allowing him a chance to focus solely on wrestling is also flawed in the sense that a boxers stance is not perfect for MMA. Some of the aspects of the boxing stance would actually need to be unlearned in order to deal with leg kicks. This will have a flow on effect to the whole of the boxers "perfected" game. Sure the MMA fighter must make changes to his stance as well, but my point is that the argument that the boxer is already "perfect at one aspect" is essentially false... The boxer has to unlearn ingrained stand up skills, as well as divide his efforts across several new ones

But its by no means a smooth transition for either example.

Learning to box is a lot more than just a "singularly focused effort".

QUOTE (Warlord @ Mar 1 2010, 03:11 AM) *
You're right. I could. But it would all still pertain to "stand-up." Which is what I said those fighters would have to concentrate on. I didn't think it necessary for me to break down what types of punches, feints, and counter-punches an MMA fighter would have to focus on if he moved to boxing, since we are on a boxing board. I am quite sure everyone here is aware of that already.

I considered a breakdown for boxing to be a waste of your, and more importantly, my, time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No it isn't. Boxing is all about "Stand-up." For anyone unfamiliar with the term, "Stand-up" refers to fighting. While standing. Which is what boxing encompasses. Entirely. Is "Stand-up" an umbrella term? Yes. Is it a generalization? No. I assume everyone here knows the difference.

No, you don't have to break it down, and I would imagine that I don't need to break it down either.

By labeling it as such, you are over-simplifying a skill honed over many years...and for some, a lifetime. As I said before, it is just as ridiculous to say that all a MMA fighter has to do is "focus on their stand-up", as it is to say that all a boxer has to do is "focus on their ground game." Which, for anyone unfamiliar with the term, "ground game" refers to fighting. On the ground.

I hope that most can recognize a difference in boxers and their styles. To say that all Ricky Hatton has to do to fight like Floyd Mayweather is, "focus on his stand-up" would be...well humorous, but also wrong. All Ricky Hatton has done was "focus on his stand-up", yet he still can't stop people from punching him in the face. He even brought Floyd Sr into camp with him...I'm going to stop there.

I know that nobody thinks that an MMA fighter can cross over and compete with Floyd Mayweather, but I'm going to take it even further and say that they couldn't compete with Ricky Hatton.

There are WAY too many aspects of "stand-up" for anyone to learn in a short time period. It would take years...way too long for a guy getting paid already, to quit his job and learn a new craft.
ROLL DEEP
How would a tennis player do against a badminton player?

In tennis? He'd win. In badminton, he'd lose.

End of story.

These threads crack me up. Everyone sat on here debating who and what. I like both MMA and Boxing. I've trained in both (and still do).

Just as talented, just as hard, just as tough, just as physically and mentally demanding as each other.

Boxing, as you all know, is a VERY, VERY technical (and very brutal) game of chess - just as BJJ is on the floor. A world championship level boxer could play with ANYONE in a boxing ring and toy with them, just as a BJJ black belt would do on the mats.

Why must people always debate which is the tougher and hardest sport?
AussieLad
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Mar 1 2010, 11:23 PM) *
How would a tennis player do against a badminton player?

In tennis? He'd win. In badminton, he'd lose.

End of story.

These threads crack me up. Everyone sat on here debating who and what. I like both MMA and Boxing. I've trained in both (and still do).

Just as talented, just as hard, just as tough, just as physically and mentally demanding as each other.

Boxing, as you all know, is a VERY, VERY technical (and very brutal) game of chess - just as BJJ is on the floor. A world championship level boxer could play with ANYONE in a boxing ring and toy with them, just as a BJJ black belt would do on the mats.

Why must people always debate which is the tougher and hardest sport?

LOL

These threads will always come up when someone as high profile as mayorga or james toney tries to switch sports.

Why can't people accept this, and if inclined to do so abstain from the conversation, instead of trolling out the politically correct "both sports are equal just different" line?
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Mar 1 2010, 12:46 PM) *
I know that nobody thinks that an MMA fighter can cross over and compete with Floyd Mayweather, but I'm going to take it even further and say that they couldn't compete with Ricky Hatton.

There are WAY too many aspects of "stand-up" for anyone to learn in a short time period. It would take years...way too long for a guy getting paid already, to quit his job and learn a new craft.

I agree. That is why I said, about 4 pages ago, that no MMA fighter was serious about going to boxing, because he would get waxed if he did. I mean a serious waxing, if he faces any legit competition.

That is also why I ended my post about fighters switching from one sport to another being "theoretical."

At this point, we are just arguing semantics, umbrella terms, generalizations, etc... I'm not going to do that anymore.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 1 2010, 05:35 PM) *
LOL

These threads will always come up when someone as high profile as mayorga or james toney tries to switch sports.

Why can't people accept this, and if inclined to do so abstain from the conversation, instead of trolling out the politically correct "both sports are equal just different" line?

I accept that fact.

I'm not 'trolling out the politically correct "both sports are equal just different line" line' either - I'm saying it as it's my opinion.

I don't mind a bit of talk about MMA/Boxing as it is interesting to see how the two different sports play out against each other....but threads involving this type of conversation (who'd win in a street fight? Which is better? What would happen if Ike didn't get locked up? Floyd is the greatest) happen a lot.

It was merely an observation on my behalf that I commented on...nothing more, nothing less.
AussieLad
Aaah but its not one of those arguments. Its how easily a guy can transition between sports, which transition is easier... boxing to MMA or vice versa. Not about who wins a street fight
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 2 2010, 03:56 AM) *
Aaah but its not one of those arguments. Its how easily a guy can transition between sports, which transition is easier... boxing to MMA or vice versa. Not about who wins a street fight

But I said threads invloving this type of conversation....I used the street fight thread as an example of the MMA/Boxing threads that pop up all the time.

I know what you guys are talking about, lol, and it's a topic (can boxers cut it in MMA?, how would xxx do if he went from MMA to boxing?) that is brought up a lot, normally with the boxing die-hards on here (as it's mainly a boxing forum) down playing MMA.

I train in both and it's just funny to see people over analysing the topic when they are two different sports....that's not a trolling statement by the way, it's my opinion. I just get on with the training and genuinely enjoy being involved in both.
BigG
I believe fighters in Boxing, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai usually transition better to MMA than grapplers do. Just my opinion.
Warlord
QUOTE (BigG @ Mar 2 2010, 04:02 AM) *
I believe fighters in Boxing, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai usually transition better to MMA than grapplers do. Just my opinion.

Kick Boxing and Muay Thai fighters generally transition better than boxers because they are adapt at checking leg kicks and using leg kicks themselves. Grapplers transition the best because they immediately have some sort of fall-back position if they are getting beat in stand-up.

If we want to use statistics to test your theory, lets look at a few fighters that each sport has supplied for MMA.

Kick Boxing = Mirko CroCop, Melvin Manhoef, Igor Vovchanchyan
Muay Thai = Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Anderson Silva
Grapplers = Dan Henderson, Randy Coutoure
Boxing = Rubin Williams, Ray Mercer, Jeremy Williams
NFL = Johnnie Morton, Herschel Walker,
MLB = Jose Conseco

The last two were a joke, btw.
Fitz
Entertainment pro wrestling = Brock Lesnar the UFC champion

laugh.gif
Spyder
You forgot...

Professional Wrestling = Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley
Freestyle/Street Fighter = Tank Abbott, Kimbo Slice
Sumo = Emmanuel Yarbrough
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Mar 2 2010, 09:46 PM) *
You forgot...

Professional Wrestling = Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley
Freestyle/Street Fighter = Tank Abbott, Kimbo Slice
Sumo = Emmanuel Yarbrough

laugh.gif

Actually, yeah. I know you guys meant it as a joke, but pro wrestling = Brock Lesnar, Don Frye, Ken Shamrock, Kazushi Sakuraba, etc... Sakuraba even listed pro wrestling as his style when he used to fight in Pride.

Most pro wrestlers (like Lesnar and Sakuraba) perform well because they had extensive experience in REAL wrestling. Frye had some grappling experience and was actually an aspiring pro boxer at one point, whilst Shamrock was a pioneer in the sport, and one of the first guys to cross-train in various disciplines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.