Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great interview with James Toney, Percy!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
I thought I should give you some props for that, man.

Man, Lights out had me believing his talk in this one about being able to be force in the UFC. Then I remembered that he couldn't even get in shape with Billy Blanks in his corner. LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Mar 5 2010, 07:12 AM) *
I thought I should give you some props for that, man.

Man, Lights out had me believing his talk in this one about being able to be force in the UFC. Then I remembered that he couldn't even get in shape with Billy Blanks in his corner. LOL

laugh.gif

I swear I wish they posted the audio for his interviews.
Spyder
Good interview Percy. What city is that June UFC card in?
SmartyBeardo
Well done. JT was more human than garbage disposal in this one.

I think the Ron Lyle stuff is even better, pcraw. Great questions (though Ron avoided them at times).

It is obvious that you care about excellence, rather than just the Clam$. Much appreciated.
pcraw
Thanks for the support guys. I noticed Lyle slipping a few of my questions too, but Ron Lyle is the man. When you talk to him it's like talking to a true philosopher. Very old school in his delivery.

I will have to start uploading Toney audio. As well as a few other guys I interview; you got it. Thanks again for the support man I truly appreciate it and it keeps me going.
King Eugene
QUOTE (pcraw @ Mar 5 2010, 10:15 AM) *
Thanks for the support guys. I noticed Lyle slipping a few of my questions too, but Ron Lyle is the man. When you talk to him it's like talking to a true philosopher. Very old school in his delivery.

I will have to start uploading Toney audio. As well as a few other guys I interview; you got it. Thanks again for the support man I truly appreciate it and it keeps me going.

thumbsup_anim.gif
Snoop
Great interview Perc. Makes the whole JT shift to MMA seem less like a debacle, and actually made me interested. I could take some notes from those journalism skills.
Method
Yo Perc - Next time you get Brother Naaz on record you have to ask him about how bad Bernard wanted James Toney over the years. He'll go into it chapter and verse, and you know nobody giveis it as straight or colorful as Naazim.

I remember when I was in camp down at S FL Boxing Gym, and Naazim got to talking about it, saying Bernard always wanted JT, and Naaz said, "I told Bernard James Toney will never fight you". Then he said (in reference to the proposed cruiserweight match, "Bernard called me and said you'll never guess who I got to fight me...".

Obviously we know the fight fell through, but given the rapport you have w Naaz, Parc, it would be some good color from Naazim.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 5 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Yo Perc - Next time you get Brother Naaz on record you have to ask him about how bad Bernard wanted James Toney over the years. He'll go into it chapter and verse, and you know nobody giveis it as straight or colorful as Naazim.

I remember when I was in camp down at S FL Boxing Gym, and Naazim got to talking about it, saying Bernard always wanted JT, and Naaz said, "I told Bernard James Toney will never fight you". Then he said (in reference to the proposed cruiserweight match, "Bernard called me and said you'll never guess who I got to fight me...".

Obviously we know the fight fell through, but given the rapport you have w Naaz, Parc, it would be some good color from Naazim.

I would LOVE to hear Bernard's response to the accusations. To be honest, a fight plan against RJJ and then a WBA champ in David Haye seems more challenging to me than an over-the-hill IBA Champion in Toney.
thehype
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 5 2010, 01:51 PM) *
I would LOVE to hear Bernard's response to the accusations. To be honest, a fight plan against RJJ and then a WBA champ in David Haye seems more challenging to me than an over-the-hill IBA Champion in Toney.

Maybe both Roy and David Haye combined on the same night might be more challenging, but Roy more challenging than James Toney????

Please!!!!

If Bernard's plan is to move to heavyweight, a fight with James Toney would have been a much better fight, tougher challenge and better story line than a fight with RJ. Toney would give Bernard MUCH MORE problems than Roy would.

If he's over-the-hill, then why won't these fools fight him? You can't tell me it's because he's not a draw. I mean, Winky Wright, Antonio Tarver and Kelly Pavlik aren't huge draws. Hell, Hopkins ain't even a big draw. If anything, Toney's trash talk alone would draw in a crowd. So why exactly won't any of these guys fight an over-the-hill IBA Champion in Toney. If he's that easy of a fight, then I would think one of those guys, the Klitschkos, David Haye or Bernard, would LOVE to be the first to knock his ass out cold and put that notch on their belt.

That being said, fuck it...I'm still pickin' RJ to pull off the upset against Snaggletooth!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laugh.gif
AKay
WOOOOOO!!!
Toney is the Truth.
AKay
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 5 2010, 09:17 PM) *
Maybe both Roy and David Haye combined on the same night might be more challenging, but Roy more challenging than James Toney????

Please!!!!

If Bernard's plan is to move to heavyweight, a fight with James Toney would have been a much better fight, tougher challenge and better story line than a fight with RJ. Toney would give Bernard MUCH MORE problems than Roy would.

If he's over-the-hill, then why won't these fools fight him? You can't tell me it's because he's not a draw. I mean, Winky Wright, Antonio Tarver and Kelly Pavlik aren't huge draws. Hell, Hopkins ain't even a big draw. If anything, Toney's trash talk alone would draw in a crowd. So why exactly won't any of these guys fight an over-the-hill IBA Champion in Toney. If he's that easy of a fight, then I would think one of those guys, the Klitschkos, David Haye or Bernard, would LOVE to be the first to knock his ass out cold and put that notch on their belt.

That being said, fuck it...I'm still pickin' RJ to pull off the upset against Snaggletooth!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laugh.gif

I think David Haye alone is more of a challenge than James Toney, simply based on activity, youth, and the fact that he has more of a legitimate belt AND has faced more legitimate competition in the recent months (yes I know calling Haye's resume "legitimate" is pathetic, but it's a pathetic division these days). So for me, adding on the RJJ fight is just a bonus. If you were to argue fighting Toney THEN Haye, instead of Jones Jr. then Haye, then yes, I'd agree with you. But Toney>Haye? Nahhhhh..

Toney's definitely a draw, but that's because of his trash talking. He's funny as fuck but he contradicts the hell out of himself, talking about "everyone caught up on titles, it's not the titles, it's the person," then IN THE SAME INTERVIEW goes on about how he's an IBA Champion and people need to recognize that. When the fuck did the IBA belt become legit? I've never even heard of that shit!

laugh.gif
pcraw
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 5 2010, 03:32 PM) *
I think David Haye alone is more of a challenge than James Toney, simply based on activity, youth, and the fact that he has more of a legitimate belt AND has faced more legitimate competition in the recent months (yes I know calling Haye's resume "legitimate" is pathetic, but it's a pathetic division these days). So for me, adding on the RJJ fight is just a bonus. If you were to argue fighting Toney THEN Haye, instead of Jones Jr. then Haye, then yes, I'd agree with you. But Toney>Haye? Nahhhhh..

Toney's definitely a draw, but that's because of his trash talking. He's funny as fuck but he contradicts the hell out of himself, talking about "everyone caught up on titles, it's not the titles, it's the person," then IN THE SAME INTERVIEW goes on about how he's an IBA Champion and people need to recognize that. When the fuck did the IBA belt become legit? I've never even heard of that shit!

laugh.gif

He's actually not contradicting himself. Maybe he didn't articulate it right, but what he's saying is IBA, WBC, WBO it doesn't matter it's all about the fighter. In other words the Klitschko's have the major titles, but they still don't have any respect, so it's not what title you hold it's the person holding them. Honestly I can give a rats ass less that Floyd and Shane are fighting for the WBA title as long as they are fighting. I bet having that WBA title didn't help Shane at the negotiating table either.

You should watch the Haye/Valuev fight again on a night when you're having trouble falling asleep. Lol. Nah, the difference is Haye talks a lot of shit and quite frankly layed an egg. Toney talks shit and even when he doesn't always back it up his fights are usually worth watching. I can't recall a dull Toney fight.
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Mar 5 2010, 09:04 PM) *
He's actually not contradicting himself. Maybe he didn't articulate it right, but what he's saying is IBA, WBC, WBO it doesn't matter it's all about the fighter. In other words the Klitschko's have the major titles, but they still don't have any respect, so it's not what title you hold it's the person holding them. Honestly I can give a rats ass less that Floyd and Shane are fighting for the WBA title as long as they are fighting. I bet having that WBA title didn't help Shane at the negotiating table either.

You should watch the Haye/Valuev fight again on a night when you're having trouble falling asleep. Lol. Nah, the difference is Haye talks a lot of shit and quite frankly layed an egg. Toney talks shit and even when he doesn't always back it up his fights are usually worth watching. I can't recall a dull Toney fight.

"The thing is everybody so caught up on titles. It's not the titles, it's the person."

"I got a heavyweight championship and everyone wants to act like they don't want to recognize James Toney as the IBA champion."

If titles don't matter to JT, why does it matter if people recognize him as the IBA champion?

Overall, I agree with you and JT that titles shouldn't mean shit, especially with the ABC alphabet debacle we have going on right now. Adding the IBA into the mix doesn't help simplify shit, so I don't really know why Toney kept making a point he was the champion throughout the interview, especially if it doesn't matter in the first place.

I don't view Haye's resume as impressive by any means, but in recent years at HW, neither is Toney's. If I HAD to chose one, I'd chose Haye's, but I wasn't given much a choice to begin with, I guess is what I was trying to say.
JonnyBlaze
Bad ass interview Percy..We need to get Toney in a chat!!!It needs to be done..

That shit Toney was sayin "Yeah!!!He's crying..OH FUCK!!He's crying like a bitch on TV" had me crackin up so hard..Classic Toney shit..With Toney around,Arreola will never be able to forget that..I do wish Toney would of been a little younger when he stepped in the cage but I still got faith in him if he's in shape..If his footwork is anything like what we've seen lately,I don't see good things for him in the cage..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (pcraw @ Mar 5 2010, 10:04 PM) *
He's actually not contradicting himself. Maybe he didn't articulate it right, but what he's saying is IBA, WBC, WBO it doesn't matter it's all about the fighter. In other words the Klitschko's have the major titles, but they still don't have any respect, so it's not what title you hold it's the person holding them.

Nice interview Perc. James is totally delusional though. He actually thinks he is a contender LOL. He is a fucking joke at heavyweight. What has he actually done at heavyweight? What has he done recently at heavyweight? The Klit bros as boring, predictable & homosexual that they are actually fight & suprise suprise win.

Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 5 2010, 04:17 PM) *

Please!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laugh.gif

Co-sign... except for the part about Roy upsetting Hopkins. laugh.gif I think Roy is a live dog, but he is still the underdog.
King Eugene

Classic interview...I Got Milk Baby!
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 11 2010, 02:49 AM) *

Classic interview...I Got Milk Baby!

P4P Interview right there. "I'm undestructable!"

laugh.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I just read anothter James Toney interview today on the site. I gotta admit, I love the interviews and reading his words. He's an entertainer, and I feel the sports needs that a lot. However, I just don't get why people are all over his nuts. This dude lost, but got a lucky decision against Oquendo over a year ago. He got his ass beat by Oquendo no matter how much of a *bitch* Toney thinks he is. I respect him for wanting to fight anybody, but he's done in my opinion. He got dominated by Sam Peter three years ago, and one has to wonder when he's had a solid performance. No way are we counting a tune up fight against a 12-6 guy. We have to go back five years when he beat Ruiz for the title for a performance that was truly "lights out". He beat a 40 year old Holyfield, and had that great war with Jirov. However, that was seven years ago. It's time to live in the present. Any title holder would beat Toney right now. Both Klitschko's would dominate every round against him. Arreola and Adamek both beat him right now as well. This guy hasn't had a solid performance in five years.

Again, Percy, I love all the interviews. Your work for the site is great, and truly makes for a great read. I know I waste lots of time reading that at school, when I could be more productive. Just had to get that off my chest about Toney though.
Lil-lightsout
I won't even bother responding completely to such drivel from a guy who's screen name is after a Cory Spinks fan,lol. That is the problem right there, you idolize a "fruitcake", and I idolize a TRUE LEGEND of the sport. Now go back to your studies boy, cause you got nothing worthwhile to add here, just another hater. Just wait till he shocks the world and wins a heavyweight belt.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 16 2010, 10:36 PM) *
I won't even bother responding completely to such drivel from a guy who's screen name is after a Cory Spinks fan,lol. That is the problem right there, you idolize a "fruitcake", and I idolize a TRUE LEGEND of the sport. Now go back to your studies boy, cause you got nothing worthwhile to add here, just another hater. Just wait till he shocks the world and wins a heavyweight belt.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
If Spinks wasn't so "feather fisted" he'd be alright. He is a poor mans version of Mayweather lol.

On another note I still need you to proofread that James Toney letter for me laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 16 2010, 11:42 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
If Spinks wasn't so "feather fisted" he'd be alright. He is a poor mans version of Mayweather lol.

On another note I still need you to proofread that James Toney letter for me laugh.gif

Just busting Kyle's chops, he is a really nice guy judging by his posts. But I am getting sick of all this Toney hating, I will defend him to the end.

We have a "SpinksFan" and "Byrdman". What's next, MalignaggitheMolester"?

Oh... I will proof read that letter for you. Just let me know were it is, and where you able to write it yourself or did you need your special aid to assist you like in college? laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 16 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Just busting Kyle's chops, he is a really nice guy judging by his posts. But I am getting sick of all this Toney hating, I will defend him to the end.

We have a "SpinksFan" and "Byrdman". What's next, MalignaggitheMolester"?

Oh... I will proof read that letter for you. Just let me know were it is, and where you able to write it yourself or did you need your special aid to assist you like in college? laugh.gif

Yea I'm not done with it yet. I'm going to need some assistants just like in college. PM me and let me know wear I need to go to so I can sign up. Oh and where going to need more time than most of their other students cause I wont be able to make it every day due to were I'm living.

fuck.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
WOOOO Now that's the type of response I like lol. Like I've told others, it's great to defend your fighter to no end, but just look at the facts. I never said he wasn't a legend of the sport and never said he wasn't a great fighter. However, this is 2010. What has he done in the last 3 years that makes anybody think he can win a legit title in the division? The answer is just about nothing. From 2007 on he has made a habit of showing up out of shape and not putting on a spirited performance. Beating Matthew Greer is not something to write home about. He's a good interview, and I respect him for wanting to fight just about anybody. However, it's about what you do in the ring lately that people can judge on.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 17 2010, 01:27 AM) *
WOOOO Now that's the type of response I like lol. Like I've told others, it's great to defend your fighter to no end, but just look at the facts. I never said he wasn't a legend of the sport and never said he wasn't a great fighter. However, this is 2010. What has he done in the last 3 years that makes anybody think he can win a legit title in the division? The answer is just about nothing. From 2007 on he has made a habit of showing up out of shape and not putting on a spirited performance. Beating Matthew Greer is not something to write home about. He's a good interview, and I respect him for wanting to fight just about anybody. However, it's about what you do in the ring lately that people can judge on.

Excellent post Kyle.

Yes, he is my all-time favorite fighter and I am severely biased and probably living in the past with this guy. But I will always root for him and show my support for his willingness to fight anyone. He also is the most frustrating guy to watch as he is never fully prepared to fight even near his peak. Such a shame for someone I believe could have went down as a top 10 ATG.

Also, glad you knew I was only joking with you before.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
And honestly, if Toney were to turn the clock back and give a vintage performance I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. In fact, I think it'd be great for the sport if he were a heavyweight champ. Seriously, what other fighter in that division has that type of charisma and can make people love and hate him. It'd be an American who can put some excitement back into the divison. However, that's just a good storyline, probably won't happen.
King Eugene
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 17 2010, 01:41 AM) *
And honestly, if Toney were to turn the clock back and give a vintage performance I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. In fact, I think it'd be great for the sport if he were a heavyweight champ. Seriously, what other fighter in that division has that type of charisma and can make people love and hate him. It'd be an American who can put some excitement back into the divison. However, that's just a good storyline, probably won't happen.

It wont...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 17 2010, 02:44 AM) *
It wont...

fuck.gif

Just saw the date. On this day 20 years ago I watched the Taylor-Chavez fight on HBO(and 4 days later I started dating my wife). Damn time flies.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 17 2010, 01:56 AM) *
fuck.gif

Just saw the date. On this day 20 years ago I watched the Taylor-Chavez fight on HBO(and 4 days later I started dating my wife). Damn time flies.

Toney will whoop ass in the UFC and no longer boxing..

Congratz in 4 days LL..
Method
Arreola and Adamek both beat him right now as well.

Sorry, I think Toney OWNS Arreola. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Arreola is all that talented.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 17 2010, 04:58 PM) *
Sorry, I think Toney OWNS Arreola. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Arreola is all that talented.

Arreola has some of the worst boxing technique I've seen in a while. His eating habits could also be as bad or worse than Toney's. Experience will put a whoopin' on Arreola if these two ever met in the ring.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
There is nothing that I've seen in the last three years that makes me think he can beat Arreola. Arreola isn't the most skilled, but he'll bring pressure and throw a lot of shots. Sure, the Toney from five years ago puts a whoopin on Arreola, but not now. For all this experience, it sure seemed like Sam Peter of all fighters gave Toney a boxing lesson three years ago. He looked old against Oquendo and wasn't up to his same tricks. It isn't always about talent, it can be a lot about the mental state of a fighter in that ring. Arreola outworks Toney, as he stays on those ropes. Arreola wouldn't let him counter that much, and he'll be on him.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Mar 17 2010, 04:33 AM) *
Congratz in 4 days LL..

Thanks man. friends.gif
Fitz
Toney-Arreola would be pretty cool, though they would both have to come out to this and have a witty name for the fight.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 18 2010, 04:34 AM) *
Toney-Arreola would be pretty cool, though they would both have to come out to this and have a witty name for the fight.

I remember some wag calling Toney/Peter 'Battle of the Buffet.'

This title would also do Arreola/Toney justice. Pre-camp they could maybe run a 'biggest loser'type celebrity episod erunning into fight night. Could be pretty good with Jillian and Bob trying to give James some lip. He would probably just lay them out.
BGv2.0
I've heard rumors that a Toney/Arreola fight might take place before years end....

AND

it would be for the STA HW Championship of the world.

Sweaty Titty Association.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.