Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@8:30 PM (CST) SPOILERS@8:45:Alexander vs. Urango
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
For tonight's Alexander-Urango fight comments. A unification for the WBC/IBF Jr. Welterweight Championships.

Jack

Administrator
JLUVBABY
i going with alexander going away but any body else think urango has a punchers chance?... i do... not picking him to win but urango might have a shot in this one...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 6 2010, 08:27 PM) *
i going with alexander going away but any body else think urango has a punchers chance?... i do... not picking him to win but urango might have a shot in this one...

Urango definitely has a puncher's chance. Alexander's body looks vulnerable. That said, Alexander's going to outbox Urango 2:45 out of every round with there being a couple of moments where Urango throws wildly where there's some genuine excitement. I'm looking forward to this, but Alexander by comfortable UD all day.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 6 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Urango definitely has a puncher's chance. Alexander's body looks vulnerable. That said, Alexander's going to outbox Urango 2:45 out of every round with there being a couple of moments where Urango throws wildly where there's some genuine excitement. I'm looking forward to this, but Alexander by comfortable UD all day.

fer shizzle...
Keith
I really dont know much about Alexander. I have a strange feeling Urango beats him up.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Keith @ Mar 6 2010, 08:39 PM) *
I really dont know much about Alexander. I have a strange feeling Urango beats him up.

keith you bout to become a fan of alexander... lol...
Keith
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 6 2010, 09:46 PM) *
keith you bout to become a fan of alexander... lol...

It wont be tonight...Ill have to watch it on youtube later. I dont have HBO.
JLUVBABY
i dont think alexander can deal with the pace of bradley.... win or lose tonight...
JLUVBABY
good win but bradley is still king... they need to fight...
Mean Mister Mustard
Didn't see the fight but I certainly was not expecting Alexander to KO Urango. Bradley is not king by thew way, Pacquiao is.
kidbazooka1
Still not sold on Alexander he caught Urango with a good uppercut but i can't see him beating Bradley or even Khan.
EpTXCHAMP
Yea me either think urango was gonna walk him down.... But got caught with a good shot... I would go 50/50 on a fight between him and zab
mexi-cutioner
Devon Alexander vs Juan Manuel Marquez at 140...WHO WOULD WIN!?!?!
lloyd mayflower
Alexander, JMM has no business north of 135 much as I like him
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 7 2010, 03:15 AM) *

I don't like Juan ma over anyone at 140...except for hatton just because he is so badly faded
blackbelt2003
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL uppercut.

Anyone who lands such a perfectly timed (and difficult to throw) shot like that and have THAT effect on a guy as rock chinned as Urango gets my vote.

That was a stunningly artistic knockout if ever I saw one. He may have looked shaky early on in the fight, but I think Alexander could turn out to be a bit special with his willingness to unify and his ability to pull shots out like that.

Alexander-Khan...one of the fights of 2011!

Black
D-MARV
I just saw the fight this morning... Does anyone else think that stoppage was too early? Maybe Urango wouldn't have made it out of the round but after the 2nd KD, he got up and was completely alert... I thought it was a bad stoppage.
JD
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 7 2010, 03:15 AM) *

Alexander...clearly. Marquez has no legs left.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 7 2010, 01:25 PM) *
I just saw the fight this morning... Does anyone else think that stoppage was too early? Maybe Urango wouldn't have made it out of the round but after the 2nd KD, he got up and was completely alert... I thought it was a bad stoppage.

Yeah, a little early. Knowing how Urango got up from a Randall Bailey knockdown and went on to win, and also knowing what an all-round tough guy he is, you'd expect the ref to give Urango every chance.

Personally, I think Alexander would have iced him with the next attack, but as clear headed as Urango looked, you have to give him every chance with it being a world title fight and all.

Black
King Eugene
I think it was a little early on the stoppage. He's a champion and atleast deserves one more shot before it was stopped. He probably would have been stopped a few shots later anyway but still deserved that opportunity.

As much as I like him Zab doesn't deserve the opportunity to fight Alexander. It should be an interesting matchup though. Not completely sold on Alexander but still like him and Zab hasn't proved he can finish a fight strong against a top fighter in a while so we'll see how that one works out. I think the Bradley fight should be brewed up some more. A couple more fights a fight between either Alexander, Khan, or Bradley will be in even higher demand if they keep winning.
Imperius3
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 7 2010, 07:40 AM) *
Marquez has no legs left.

What do you base that on? Everyone is counting Marquez out after his loss to Mayweather. Maybe we should see him in the ring again before saying something like that.
lloyd mayflower
Marquez is getting older, a loss like that will take its toll, and the very fact that Floyd dragged him up to 147 and he will have to get back down again will also take its toll. I predict maybe a decent performance against a B/B+ level fighter, then either retiral, or much as I hate to say it, another fight against a p4per which I think will not end well.

Im a big fan of JMM, but I think hes going to fall into that category of fighters who get old overnight.
mexi-cutioner
Marquez vs Hatton at 147...WHO WOULD WIN!?!?!?!
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 7 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Marquez vs Hatton at 147...WHO WOULD WIN!?!?!?!

Neither, after twelve rounds of 'action', both men are so fat they've failed to land a single punch on the other and we get a draw. 140 or nothing.

Black
Romulus9
Impressive stuff from Alexander last night. Very impressive. To put it in context, Urango was dropped and seriously hurt by Randall Bailey, a guy whose power is well-documented for more than a decade, and came back to record a TKO win just a few months ago.

Then look at what Alexander did. Yes, it was a perfectly timed shot but it was still done against an iron-chinned champion who was bringing pressure the entire night. It answered the questions I had about Devon.

I'd take Devon head-to-head with Amir Khan, who just doesn't impress me (or Breidis Prescott) all that much, but he still doesn't want any of Tim Bradley. Those who think otherwise need to take another good look at how Tim dismantled Lamont Peterson.

Bradley-Pacquiao at 140 would be absolutely EPIC.

Alexander's stock is really rising.
JD
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Mar 7 2010, 11:18 AM) *
What do you base that on? Everyone is counting Marquez out after his loss to Mayweather. Maybe we should see him in the ring again before saying something like that.

I actually said that Marquez's legs were going after the Baby Bull fight...and then seeing Diaz unable to move Malignaggi only confirmed it for me. A month later Marquez fought Floyd and his legs were dead in there...going up in weight and coming back down will only make it all worse. So in short, I did see him in the ring one more time after saying that I thought his legs were going - what I saw confirmed it for me.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 7 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Yeah, I though the stoppage was early but the writing on the wall could be seen clearly.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 7 2010, 09:54 AM) *
I think the Bradley fight should be brewed up some more. A couple more fights a fight between either Alexander, Khan, or Bradley will be in even higher demand if they keep winning.

Agreed. An Alexander/Bradley fight needs to cook for a while longer...
Imperius3
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 7 2010, 10:06 PM) *
I actually said that Marquez's legs were going after the Baby Bull fight...and then seeing Diaz unable to move Malignaggi only confirmed it for me. A month later Marquez fought Floyd and his legs were dead in there...going up in weight and coming back down will only make it all worse. So in short, I did see him in the ring one more time after saying that I thought his legs were going - what I saw confirmed it for me.

That's cool. I personally thought Marquez looked really good against a very game Diaz. Against Mayweather, Marquez lost almost all of the rounds, but he was still able to last the distance on those "dead legs". I think he will be fine when he moves back down since 135-140 is around his natural weight class anyway. He shouldn't have to starve himself. Time will tell though. But until I see otherwise, I think Marquez will be fine.
Fitz
Just finished watching the fight. I have seen Alexander maybe 4 or 5 times and I have always been impressed with him, though this was his most impressive for me. He used his jab well and I liked how he actually still 'boxed' but was able to stay in front of him and fight at the same time. That is how I like boxers.
He was good with the uppercut all night and the punch he landed was very good. That said, I think the referee stopped it early as well. Urango beat the count, his legs were there, his eyes looked ok. I have no idea why they stopped it. Don't think he was going to win, but still stopped early.
JD
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Mar 8 2010, 03:13 AM) *
That's cool. I personally thought Marquez looked really good against a very game Diaz. Against Mayweather, Marquez lost almost all of the rounds, but he was still able to last the distance on those "dead legs". I think he will be fine when he moves back down since 135-140 is around his natural weight class anyway. He shouldn't have to starve himself. Time will tell though. But until I see otherwise, I think Marquez will be fine.

Really? Man...I gotta disagree...I thought Marquez looked old against Diaz...like he was beginning to wear down. Against Floyd, Marquez went the distance because Mayweather let him - Floyd refused to take the risk necessary to bang him out of there, which is standard for him...win clearly, outclass, subject oneself to minimal risk - mission accomplished ten fold against Marquez. I personally believe that Floyd could have gotten him out of there early if he wanted to, but it is not his nature.

EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 8 2010, 10:30 AM) *
Really? Man...I gotta disagree...I thought Marquez looked old against Diaz...like he was beginning to wear down. Against Floyd, Marquez went the distance because Mayweather let him - Floyd refused to take the risk necessary to bang him out of there, which is standard for him...win clearly, outclass, subject oneself to minimal risk - mission accomplished ten fold against Marquez. I personally believe that Floyd could have gotten him out of there early if he wanted to, but it is not his nature.

Gotta credit Diaz non stop pressure making Marquez fade at the end. Kinda reminded me of urango on sat was starting to turn the fight till getting caught with one good shot just like Diaz got caught with marq. Marq at 140 can beat paulie and lower class fighters his pop won't carry to 140 to make any real noise
JD
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 8 2010, 02:08 PM) *
Gotta credit Diaz non stop pressure making Marquez fade at the end. Kinda reminded me of urango on sat was starting to turn the fight till getting caught with one good shot just like Diaz got caught with marq. Marq at 140 can beat paulie and lower class fighters his pop won't carry to 140 to make any real noise

I didn't see it like that, because the same Baby Bull couldn't move Malignaggi or make him fade. Like I said, immediately after that fight I thought JMM's legs were going, see Paulie handle Baby Bill and move him around proved it to me.
Fitz
JD, I have seen exactly what you are seeing in Marquez. He has been very good, but I thought he looked old against Diaz as well, he got through on experience in that one IMO.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 8 2010, 02:46 PM) *
I didn't see it like that, because the same Baby Bull couldn't move Malignaggi or make him fade. Like I said, immediately after that fight I thought JMM's legs were going, see Paulie handle Baby Bill and move him around proved it to me.

Baby bull wasn't the same and hasn't been since jmm beat him. Second Diaz vs paulie was not at 135 Diaz had and has no business fighting north of 135 his punch above 135 is almost as weak as paulies....other than the one punch fight changer and the constant pressure of Diaz it's hard to compare these two fights. Different styles and circumstances. For the record I ain't saying marq is a fresh chicken but I'm not saying he's shot or legs are gone think he could win a good match against the right guy
JD
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 8 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Baby bull wasn't the same and hasn't been since jmm beat him. Second Diaz vs paulie was not at 135 Diaz had and has no business fighting north of 135 his punch above 135 is almost as weak as paulies....other than the one punch fight changer and the constant pressure of Diaz it's hard to compare these two fights. Different styles and circumstances. For the record I ain't saying marq is a fresh chicken but I'm not saying he's shot or legs are gone think he could win a good match against the right guy

Diaz actually hasn't been the same since Campbell beat him.

Diaz fought Malignaggi at a catch weight that he was happy to oblige because he did not have to suck weight, and Paulie had to drain out further...plus, he started his career at 140. The only place I am making any comparison is with Marquez being pushed around by Baby Bull, the same Baby Bull who was pushed around by Malignaggi.

You think JMM's legs looking bad against Diaz is because of Diaz...ok...have it at; a slightly over simplified view in my opinion, but ok, not really worth debating. I think JMM's legs looked like they did against Diaz because they are going, add to it the fact that a small junior welter who had to suck extra weight, with zero power pushed the same guy around that Marquez was bullied by at lightweight. You think it was more an issue of the fight...so be it.

JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 8 2010, 06:33 PM) *
JD, I have seen exactly what you are seeing in Marquez. He has been very good, but I thought he looked old against Diaz as well, he got through on experience in that one IMO.

EXACTLY.

Seeing Diaz unable to move Malignaggi really made the Marquez fight stand out that much more to me...and it stood out in the first place.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 8 2010, 08:51 PM) *
Diaz actually hasn't been the same since Campbell beat him.

Diaz fought Malignaggi at a catch weight that he was happy to oblige because he did not have to suck weight, and Paulie had to drain out further...plus, he started his career at 140. The only place I am making any comparison is with Marquez being pushed around by Baby Bull, the same Baby Bull who was pushed around by Malignaggi.

You think JMM's legs looking bad against Diaz is because of Diaz...ok...have it at; a slightly over simplified view in my opinion, but ok, not really worth debating. I think JMM's legs looked like they did against Diaz because they are going, add to it the fact that a small junior welter who had to suck extra weight, with zero power pushed the same guy around that Marquez was bullied by at lightweight. You think it was more an issue of the fight...so be it.

lol well word is it takes two sauna suits for diaz to get anything under 140 lol did u see his soft rolly stomach lol...

well I see where your coming from guess we wont know till marq's next fight and we see how he does
JD
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 9 2010, 12:36 AM) *
lol well word is it takes two sauna suits for diaz to get anything under 140 lol did u see his soft rolly stomach lol...

well I see where your coming from guess we wont know till marq's next fight and we see how he does

It's cool, and I think that if Marrquez had issues with Diaz as the fight wore on, I could see it your way - but it was from the ring walk on that his legs looked like they were going.
KENSOFINE
I cant believe people are giving all this credit to Alexandar. He beat JUAN URANGO. Juan Urango has NO skills. None. Zip, Zilch, Zero.

Alexander is another William Joppy, to me. You get a lesser tomato can in front of him...and he can look decent. He will NEVER beat an equally skilled fighter. EVER. He is just like Baby Camacho. All this hype and limited substance.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 9 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Well he was impressive for what it was. What do you expect from him? He is like 22, with 20 fights, did you want him to step up and fight Floyd Mayweather or something?
He is young, he fought a solid fighter that isn't great, but solid enough and good enough competition for where Alexander is at and he was impressive in doing it and that is all. By the sounds of it, you seem to have expected this guy in his early 20's with 20 fights under his belt to go on and beat Floyd Mayweather or someone. He is young and still inexperienced, I think you have expectations to high for him.

Yeah, in two world title fights he's beat Junior Witter and Juan Urango. That's pretty good going for a kid who a year ago nobody hardly knew. He's now one fight away from being undisputed 140 champion (if he can ever get Khan in a ring), is being talked about as the best opponent for p4p entrant Tim Bradley, and he's still only 22.

Far from being safely matched, I'd say that's good going, if you compare it to other 22 year olds in the game.

Black
Mean Mister Mustard
Again, I was impressed. The expectations were for him to outbox Urango but he did that and more. Alexander has now beaten an old Corley (but impressively), made the awkward Witter quit and now knocked out a block of stone in Urango. I think 1 or 2 more high profile fights and he should fight Bradley. Bradley is older and more experienced but there really isn't that much of a difference in terms of their competition, the only difference is that Bradley has beaten Cherry, Holt and Peterson.

I was very impressed with Bradley's win over Peterson (whom I think will once be a champion himself) but he's not invincible. Kendall Holt, a very good fighter, gave Bradley a competitive night and I think Alexander has already shown more promise than Holt whose flaws include his chin and lack of activity.
KENSOFINE
I disagree. I get what most of you are saying, but the consensus seems to be explaining why he is mediocre. "He's still young". "He was unknown a year ago" . "You expect him to fight Mayweather". I am stating that he is just mediocre, and saying he is ANYWHERE NEAR the league of Timothy Bradley is absurd. He would get (and please feel free to quote me) DESTROYED by Bradley. With ease. He is a slightly less significant Corey Spinks. I think most of the top 5 in his class would either beat him convincingly, or at least make it a fight for which he would not welcome a rematch. I just dont see the hype.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Mar 12 2010, 04:37 PM) *
I disagree. I get what most of you are saying, but the consensus seems to be explaining why he is mediocre. "He's still young". "He was unknown a year ago" . "You expect him to fight Mayweather". I am stating that he is just mediocre, and saying he is ANYWHERE NEAR the league of Timothy Bradley is absurd. He would get (and please feel free to quote me) DESTROYED by Bradley. With ease. He is a slightly less significant Corey Spinks. I think most of the top 5 in his class would either beat him convincingly, or at least make it a fight for which he would not welcome a rematch. I just dont see the hype.

I understand some might say that Corley was shot, Witter had no heart and that Urango was noting but a one dimensional plodder but to say that Alexander is "mediocre" is not exaclty accurate either. He is receiving praise for scoring a knockout, as any fighter often does but I think most people in this forum know when a fighter has talent and skill and when they are only mediocre. Alexander has shown poise, timing, skill and physical talent. Now if you want to criticize the fact that he barks like a chihuaha everytime he throws a punch, I won't argue with you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.