Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Ward injured Fight postponed
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/3/15/13741...ures-knee-fight

With a re-injured right knee that has given him a lot of problems in his young career, Andre Ward has been forced to postpone his scheduled April 24 fight with Allan Green, but feels he'll be ready by late May or early June.

The fight was to be paired with Carl Froch-Mikkel Kessler as a Super Six double-header. Froch-Kessler will still go ahead on that date, shown on tape delay in the United States by Showtime.

Ward (21-0, 13 KO) is coming off of a career-best win over Kessler in November. Green (29-1, 20 KO) has come into the tournament as a replacement for Jermain Taylor, who dropped out after suffering a bad knockout loss to Arthur Abraham in stage one.

The 26-year-old Ward injured his knee a few years ago playing basketball, and the injury is partly to blame for what many saw as a slow career progression that accelerated in 2009, when he was healthy all year. He's reached the top ranks of the super middleweight division now, winning his first major title from Kessler, and had opened a lot of eyes.

I've said in the past that of all the things that could undo Andre Ward's career early, the knee injury is definitely up there on the list. This doesn't sound serious, though, more like a minor tweak than anything. Ward says he tried to battle through the injury in training camp, but was advised by doctors to stay off the knee for a few weeks, so he will.

It's the latest setback for the Super Six, which has seen a bit of chaos going into stage two. Abraham-Andre Dirrell was first set for March 6, then pushed back to March 27 when Dirrell suffered a back injury. Froch and Kessler argued over the location of their fight (Froch wanted it in Copenhagen, but it will be in Herning, Denmark). Taylor pulled out, and was to be replaced by the winner of a Green-Sakio Bika fight, which didn't happen. Now with Green in and ready to go, Ward is injured. And the Froch-Kessler/Ward-Green double-header moved from April 17 to April 24 when HBO put together an April 17 double-header featuring Kelly Pavlik and Lucian Bute.
Byrd Man
and of course Green feels that Ward is afraid of him. lol.
Lil-lightsout
That sucks. I feel atleast Green has a punchers chance.
D-MARV
Damn!
Keith
I feel Green has a serious chance to win this fight now. Andre ward needs his wheels.
King Eugene
As long as they still fight then cool...
JonnyBlaze
Seems like there are a lot of injuries occuring in the tourney,JT's KO included..This is the second fight postponed and JT dropped out..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Mar 16 2010, 03:39 AM) *
Seems like there are a lot of injuries occuring in the tourney,JT's KO included..This is the second fight postponed and JT dropped out..

Did you really expect this tourney to go as planned? I just hope they keep it going and hopefully no on else drops out.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 16 2010, 02:42 AM) *
Did you really expect this tourney to go as planned? I just hope they keep it going and hopefully no on else drops out.

Of course not but I just find it surprising that the injuries are piling up..I don't blame them for not going through with the fights since this tourney is going to define someone's career I feel..
JD
Andrew Ward is going to have little problem with Allan Green.
D-MARV
Green certainly presents a "style" issue but I think Ward will beat him by clear decision.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Damn, so far this year in boxing has had a lot of pullouts. Hopefully it picks up in the middle of the year and the latter half of the year. I think the injury is legit, as he should beat Green at this point. It is boxing though, and Green does have a nice shot. However, there's a lot of guys that Green couldn't stop, such as Ted Muller. I don't think he'll stop Ward. In fact, Ward possibly stops him.
Maxy
Ward should definitely be good enough to beat Green. It's a shame that we've been hit by yet another injury but hopefully all will be good and we'll only have to wait a little while longer for the fight.

About the knee injury though...does anybody know how and what he originally did to his knee when he was younger and is this latest injury related to it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.