Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao hints at retirement?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/manny-pa...f-1225843887773

Boxing's pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao hinted at retirement on Monday, saying he didn't need to face Floyd Mayweather to cement his legacy in the ring.

"I reached my dream as a boxer without Floyd Mayweather in my career. I do not need him, they are the ones who need me," Pacquiao, 31, told reporters upon his arrival back home in the Philippines following his latest victory.

He then emphasised his mother's repeated pleas for him to finally hang up his gloves after a phenomenal career that has seen him become the only fighter in history to win seven world titles in as many weight divisions.

"She kneels down and cries every time (she asks me to quit). That's a heavy burden when it's my mother doing that," he said.

Pacquiao appeared to be even more direct about retirement, in comments published on the website of local TV station GMA.

"It may not reach a point where I will fight Mayweather. I may announce retirement, I will talk with my family about it," Pacquiao said, according to GMA.

Pacquiao defeated Ghana's Joshua Clottey to retain his World Boxing Organisation (WBO) welterweight belt in the United States last week.

He has now won 12 consecutive fights, eight by knockout, since losing to Erik Morales in March 2005.

Talks for a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight fell through earlier in the year when the American insisted on Olympic-style drug testing, which the Filipino refused.

The dream match is one of the most anticipated ever and could provide the biggest payday in boxing history for the fighters.

The undefeated Mayweather is to fight Shane Mosley on May 1, and negotiations could then resume for a bout with Pacquiao after that, the American's promoters have said.
Lil-lightsout
No freaking way he retires! Way too much money to be made, it's just talk. Even if he does, he will come back anyway like they all do.
AussieLad
Hopefully shane knocks floyd the fuck out and saves manny the trouble
KookedKrack
Boxing Commissions look into PED testing..........Pacquiao hints at retirement huh.gif
salvador
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 22 2010, 06:40 AM) *
Boxing Commissions look into PED testing..........Pacquiao hints at retirement huh.gif

Olympic style blood tests are a clear invasion of Pac's personal liberties as a Filipino. As a potential Filipino leader, I hope he stands pat on that for the dignity of Filipinos everywhere. It's a matter of principle, particularly since it's so abundantly obvious that he's never used PEDs.
D-MARV
Pac won't retire. He doesn't need Floyd for the money but HE KNOWS and Roach Knows what a win over Floyd would do to his legacy. De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, and Clottey were all "good" wins but Floyd would be a "Legendary" win. If Floyd beats Shane in impressive fashion, I'm certain Pac would fight Mayweather.
Provo209
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 22 2010, 03:40 AM) *

LOL! The other day when I was reading about the commisions I was talking 2 my boy who's a Pac fan .and I said "watch I bet Pacroid retires now"

All I kno is his mom must be a smart lady getting on her knees begging him LOL..she knows Floyd would ruin him...LOL..
Big Slim Sweet
Pac's been hinting at retirement for a while. Some of these guys just say this shit to reporters out of boredom I think.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 21 2010, 08:39 PM) *
No freaking way he retires! Way too much money to be made, it's just talk. Even if he does, he will come back anyway like they all do.

When Pacquiao say he might retire...he might do just that. Money is no longer an issue ...he is a Billionaire now in the Philippines...A dollar is equal to 46...or maybe 47 pesos..?... Yeah,...him and his family ain't no problem with money...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 21 2010, 08:39 PM) *

When Pacquiao say he might retire...he might do just that. Money is no longer an issue ...he is a Billionaire now in the Philippines...A dollar is equal to 46...or maybe 47 pesos..?... Yeah,...him and his family ain't no problem with money...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Mar 22 2010, 11:20 AM) *

Name me three fighters in the history of the sport that retired once and done. Though he is very rich, there is always a need for more money. Plus boxers always miss being in the spotlight, he would come back.
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 22 2010, 12:40 PM) *

That's what I'm saying...
King Eugene
Whether its for the money or not he'll be back if he does leave. Once a fighter always a fighter and he'll have that knack to get back into the ring and see if he still has it.
Maxy
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 11:52 AM) *
Name me three fighters in the history of the sport that retired once and done. Though he is very rich, there is always a need for more money. Plus boxers always miss being in the spotlight, he would come back.

Marvin Hagler, Rocky Marciano and Lennox Lewis?

Anyway, I think this is just talk about him maybe retiring. If the fight with Floyd can be made it will happen.
thehype
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 22 2010, 09:02 AM) *
Olympic style blood tests are a clear invasion of Pac's personal liberties as a Filipino. As a potential Filipino leader, I hope he stands pat on that for the dignity of Filipinos everywhere. It's a matter of principle, particularly since it's so abundantly obvious that he's never used PEDs.

laugh.gif

I'm sure all of the Filipino Olympic athletes are hoping he stands pat on that too.

laugh.gif

I think it would be extremely wise for him to retire...especially after Floyd whips up on and makes easy work out of Shane Mosley.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Maxy @ Mar 22 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Anyway, I think this is just talk about him maybe retiring. If the fight with Floyd can be made it will happen.

Hey, I was not talking to you. laugh.gif

And everybody picks Hagler and Marciano, good one with Lewis, though you just never know. But you get my point anyway.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2010, 03:35 PM) *
I think it would be extremely wise for him to retire...especially after Floyd whips up on and makes easy work out of Shane Mosley.

Oh man I can not wait for this fight! I am going to explode after this fight when Mosley wins!!!

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 11:52 AM) *

Lennox Lewis(one of the most obvious),Archie Moore,and Tommy Hearns..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Maxy @ Mar 22 2010, 01:43 PM) *

Yup,like I said,Lennox is one of the most obvious..I guess I need to read the whole thread before replying..
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Oh man I can not wait for this fight! I am going to explode after this fight when Mosley wins!!!

laugh.gif

I hear ya...just don't go into hiding when he loses.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2010, 07:17 PM) *
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Oh we'll drag good ol lil lightfoot out if he does! laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Mar 22 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Tommy Hearns!!! What??? He came back a few times Blaze. Come on man, you are the history buff too. laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2010, 07:17 PM) *
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I got a laptop now, way overdue. I will be on that bitch in the theater room watching on my big ass screen with all my family and friends watching and celebrating while posting away. It's going to feel like I hit the lottery that night.

If Shane does lose though, which I obviously realize could happen, I will be a little upset but I will be a good sport(as long as there is no BS decisions or outcomes that affect the fight).
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 22 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Oh we'll drag good ol lil lightfoot out if he does! laugh.gif

fuck.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 08:09 PM) *
Tommy Hearns!!! What??? He came back a few times Blaze. Come on man, you are the history buff too. laugh.gif

I'm sure Blaze must be mixing up his Hearns with his Hagler's.

Must've taken one too many shots at the gym, ha ha. Jonny's trainer probably put him in with a bad motherfucker whose done gone and scrambled Jonny's brain. laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 22 2010, 08:19 PM) *
I'm sure Blaze must be mixing up his Hearns with his Hagler's.

Must've taken one too many shots at the gym, ha ha. Jonny's trainer probably put him in with a bad motherfucker whose done gone and scrambled Jonny's brain. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 08:15 PM) *
I got a laptop now, way overdue. I will be on that bitch in the theater room watching on my big ass screen with all my family and friends watching and celebrating while posting away. It's going to feel like I hit the lottery that night.

If Shane does lose though, which I obviously realize could happen, I will be a little upset but I will be a good sport(as long as there is no BS decisions or outcomes that affect the fight).

LMAO.

laugh.gif

I'd love to see an upset, because honestly, I think upsets are the best thing about boxing...HOWEVER...I really don't see anything that Shane Mosley is going to bring to the table that Floyd is going to have problems with. I've seen Shane STRUGGLE, come to close to losing and actually lose with a lot lesser fighters over the past 5 or more years, so I'm not sure what he's going to do differently against Floyd. Not to mention, if what I heard about Shane's snowboarding accident just three weeks before his fight with Berto is true, then I suspect his back (yeah...the same back he was complaining about in the De La Hoya fight) will start flaring up once that head starts getting jacked back with jabs and the fight will essentially be over by the 5th round. Oh sure, Shane might still bring it, but by the 5th round, I think you'll notice it getting worse and worse for your boy as the fight progresses.

But hey...there's nothing wrong with hoping for a miracle, so hold on to that faith brotha.

Me though...man...I'm expecting Shane to look old in this fight and a lot of people will probably be pissed and disappointed in the outcome.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2010, 08:15 PM) *

Last time I was that confident about a fight was Pacquaio vs. Hatton. Well no need for me to say anymore...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2010, 08:27 PM) *
LMAO.

laugh.gif

I'd love to see an upset, because honestly, I think upsets are the best thing about boxing...HOWEVER...I really don't see anything that Shane Mosley is going to bring to the table that Floyd is going to have problems with. I've seen Shane STRUGGLE, come to close to losing and actually lose with a lot lesser fighters over the past 5 or more years, so I'm not sure what he's going to do differently against Floyd. Not to mention, if what I heard about Shane's snowboarding accident just three weeks before his fight with Berto is true, then I suspect his back (yeah...the same back he was complaining about in the De La Hoya fight) will start flaring up once that head starts getting jacked back with jabs and the fight will essentially be over by the 5th round. Oh sure, Shane might still bring it, but by the 5th round, I think you'll notice it getting worse and worse for your boy as the fight progresses.

But hey...there's nothing wrong with hoping for a miracle, so hold on to that faith brotha.

Me though...man...I'm expecting Shane to look old in this fight and a lot of people will probably be pissed and disappointed in the outcome.

laugh.gif

I got no problems with your views, and you could be right, we will see.

Remember how many thought Shane was washed up and going to get killed by Margarito? Miracle win? Nah, people just underestimated Mosley, same as they are now. PBF's lack of competition at welterweight is what will hurt him in this fight.

Snowboarding accident...damn that sucks. Hopefully that will not affect this fight at all.

Remember Floyd having hurt ribs? True or not? Any lingering effect?

Floyd's hands going to hold up?

Can Floyd take Shane's power shots? He is going to get hit.

Can Floyd get any respect from Shane with his power?

Shane's layoff did not seem like a good idea either.

Do you have any info(concrete) on the sparring session between Peterson and Mayweather right before his fight with JMM? I mean if Peterson gave PBF a nice test while he was peaking...yes I know it was just sparring.

The Forrest and Wright fights get brought up alot, but Floyd does not have the size,strength, or power those guys had. Now the Cotto fight does at times make me wonder how Mosley could not get to him better. I think it has to do with Cotto being undefeated and not broken yet. Plus Mosley had his Dad and no gameplan on what to do. With Naz, I guarantee you he knows what to do to win this fight. Can Mosley pull it off?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 22 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Last time I was that confident about a fight was Pacquaio vs. Hatton. Well no need for me to say anymore...

You are comparing "Fatman" to the "Sugarman". rolleyes_anim.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 23 2010, 02:59 AM) *
Pretty much the same article, just a different headline.

LOL. I didn't even read the part about the mother in your OP. My bad.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Mar 22 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Add Joe Calzaghe and remove Tommy Hearns, he fought like 2 years ago on the same card as his son if I recall..
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 23 2010, 03:12 AM) *
Don't worry, I probably wouldn't have read it either. I only read it because it was in the newspaper that I usually read. I'm sick of Pacquiao and talks that I probably wouldn't have even read it otherwise. I was even having doubts about posting it, lol.

Yeah the whole Pacquiao thing has been beaten to death. I'm getting pretty sick of it myself.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 23 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Add Joe Calzaghe and remove Tommy Hearns, he fought like 2 years ago on the same card as his son if I recall..

You can not add Calzaghe. Sure he retired now, but how long has it been? Not even a year? You know there is a possibility he could come back, fighters do it all the time. They get the itch again, or the need for money, and there back.
kidbazooka1
Like i've always said Manny Pacqiuao will not retire now and if he did he will most likely come back most of the great onces always come back or stick around too long.
D-MARV
I don't think Calzaghe is coming back.
salvador
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2010, 02:35 PM) *

laugh.gif

I have no idea how much of Pac's money is sitting in Arum's checking account, but I agree with you that he should get out while the gettings good - assuming that he's not out buying yachts for all his friends or investing in their start ups.

I can't understand how anyone thinks that a 38 year old Mosley, who had a hard time landing ANYTHING on Oscar whenever Oscar decided to box, is going to be able to beat a prime Floyd. It's just not going to happen.

And if Pac had problems with JMM, Pac sure as hell is going to have problems with Floyd.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.