Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones Jr Vs Bernard Hopkins
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
D-MARV
Who Wins?

I got Hopkins by 8th round stoppage.
The CEO
I'm leaning towards a Hopkins Decision...but I think there's a good chance of Jones pullin' this one out his ass...

Hopkins is an extremely, mentally strong fighter...all boxers should strive to have his type of focus...but the History between him and Jones IS in his head...he admits it's a "wound"...that loss is like one of the only things that has ever fucked him up...

So taking that in mind...I can see Hopkins being too wary in there, compounded by some more age showin', and Jones winning basically because he's the more active and flashier of the two...
Snoop
Jones is listed at +325. Worthwhile bet?
ROLL DEEP
Jones did look decent (ish) in the first few rounds with Calzaghe and he still has the stuff that can pose Hopkins problems i.e. Speed, Footwork, but I doubt Jones can keep it up for 12 rounds.

I see Jones winning the first 4 rounds, then Hopkins winning the rest and maybe sneezing on Jones' chin in around the 10th/11th to make a stoppage.

I'd like to think Jones will finish this fight on his feet, but after seeing Danny Green totally fucking him up, I doubt it.

I am actually getting excited about this fight now....a few weeks back I didn't give a damn but now I'm getting kinda hyped.
The CEO
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 26 2010, 11:15 AM) *

I don't know...maybe...not over 60 bucks for those odds...it's a gamble.

I prefer betting heavy on locks...lol
Method
I'll be out there. I have an industry colleague celebrating his B-Day out there so an additional reason was reason enough to justify the trip. Otherwise, I'd be couch-side.

Anyone else happen to be in town for it let me know (although I doubt it).

Let's go EX.

I didnt know they already aired the countdown on this. Was it any good?
Snoop
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Mar 26 2010, 03:22 PM) *
Jones did look decent (ish) in the first few rounds with Calzaghe and he still has the stuff that can pose Hopkins problems i.e. Speed, Footwork, but I doubt Jones can keep it up for 12 rounds.

I see Jones winning the first 4 rounds, then Hopkins winning the rest and maybe sneezing on Jones' chin in around the 10th/11th to make a stoppage.

I'd like to think Jones will finish this fight on his feet, but after seeing Danny Green totally fucking him up, I doubt it.

I am actually getting excited about this fight now....a few weeks back I didn't give a damn but now I'm getting kinda hyped.

For me, the whole Danny Green KO was just...strange. I mean the punch landed towards the top/back of the head. It didn't land flush on the chin or even his face really. Plus, Hopkins doesn't have that type of one-punch KO power, especially at LHW.

I'm with you on the growing interest on the fight. At first I didn't give a shit, now I'm kind of excited about it and after thinking about it thoroughly, I think the fight is a lot closer than most people think it is.
thehype
I got Jones by Unanimous Decision...just because Method said he'll be out there for this fight.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, I would not be stunned to see that outcome. Truth be told, I think I'll be more shocked if Ol' Snaggletooth can actually get the KO!
BGv2.0
This to me is one of the most useless fights that has ever occured! EVER!

It means NOTHING!

Even if B-Hop pulls off the win (which I myself think he does)....he should not at all feel like he righted a wrong.....RJJ is a shadow of his former self....and they NEVER matched up due to their career time lines....

When they first fought...RJJ was the experianced guy and Hopkins was still a green beginner.....

and NOW....Hopkins is still competitive but past his prime....while RJJ is WAY past his prime....

ALSO....the first fight was one of the most BORING fights to ever have to set through.....for those that don't recall, it was a prelim fight to a Riddick Bowe Championship fight Ferguson on basic HBO.

It was God awful to try to watch.....it's one of the few "high profile" fights in my collection that I have from the original night it aired...and I have NEVER converted it to DVD....because I'll never watch it again...EVER.

I see no reason how these guy are going to put on a fantastic fight now that they are older...when they could not even do so when they were young.

When RJJ got his ass blasted out of that last fight...I thought for sure this fight was done for....but they just acted like that little slip up never took place.....this fight is for $$$$$ ONLY.....Hopkins is about as bent on revenge NOW....as I am at 34 with that bully that beat me up in the second grade!

Anybody that buys this PPV is a TOTAL SUCKER!
Method
Hype, I laid a little scratch on Jones at +325. Figured if Hops lost a close dec, at least I win some scratch. Can't bring myself to bet on Ex at -500. No fucking way. Depending on what the odds are for a stoppage for either guy, MAYBE small. But lating -500 to bet on Hopkins? He's my guy but those odds are horrible.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
Hype, I laid a little scratch on Jones at +325. Figured if Hops lost a close dec, at least I win some scratch. Can't bring myself to bet on Ex at -500. No fucking way. Depending on what the odds are for a stoppage for either guy, MAYBE small. But lating -500 to bet on Hopkins? He's my guy but those odds are horrible.

Damn I dunno if I could do that, bet against the fighter I was rooting for that is.
Method
Like I said, I kept is small. Look, the boxing fan in me, and the Philly in me, is all about Ex. But I'm an institutional trader by occupation, and a numbers guy, and I had to take those odds. I just cant justify laying $500 on Bernard to win $100. There is ZERO value there.
Romulus9
I expect a close, competitive fight. Certainly not explosive, but worth the watch.

As far as a pick, I'm LEANING toward Jones on points. What a tough fight to pick. I have a hard time believing that a 46 year old Hopkins can deal with speed better than a 29 year old Hopkins. Roy isn't as fast as he was then, but the related skills for both men seem to have declined at a similar rate.

The biggest skill difference is with Roy's reflexes and chin. Can Hopkins exploit that? Who knows. I'd be pretty surprised to see a Hopkins stoppage, especially an early stoppage. I'd be absolutely stunned, like Tyson-Douglas SHOCKED, to see Roy knock Hopkins out.

The key, for me anyway, is whether or not Roy can keep up the pace that I'm sure he intends to set for 12 rounds. That has less to do with straight up work rate than it does overall activity that would keep his back off of the ropes. No one expects a slugfest. Only an idiot would. If Roy can stay at his range, potshot, and step back to the side, Hopkins can have problems. If he stands his ground and foolishly tries to exchange, nothing good will happen.

Obviously, Roy and Hopkins both want this BADLY. Lots of emotion. If that's bad for anyone, it's Jones. Anger and animosity would get Roy out of his game plan more than Hopkins. But let's face it... the actual outcome means very little to anyone but Hopkins. Even Roy knows that he can always say that he won the truly important matchup. It's a big paycheck for Jones, a fight featuring two Hall of Famers for the fans, and pseudo-redemption on a personal level for Hopkins. I have no problem with the fight happening, as some do, but I don't see much meaning. In fact, this may be the last time we see either of them in the ring. That alone makes it a can't miss for me.

End of the day, I've got Roy Jones on a close, and probably hotly-debated, decision.

No third fight, thank you.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 26 2010, 05:09 PM) *
Like I said, I kept is small. Look, the boxing fan in me, and the Philly in me, is all about Ex. But I'm an institutional trader by occupation, and a numbers guy, and I had to take those odds. I just cant justify laying $500 on Bernard to win $100. There is ZERO value there.

Nah I wasn't implying you should lay a bet on X, but if it was me, I'd just let it be without betting anything. Nowadays though I'm starting it see it your way. Sometimes a good bet is hard to pass.
PR316
I favor Hopkins to take it via competitive decision but Jones is live I think.

B-Hop isn't a HUGE puncher, and its not like he's going to force an incredible pace at his age either.

I expect a chess match with both guys trying to counter. I think Hopkins will turn it up a bit late and be busier while Jones will probably land a few flashy shots.

Woudn't be surprised either way what happens unless either guy wins via KO.
KookedKrack
Jones is beyond done at this point....I can't see him beating hopkins or anyone else with a pulse.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (PR316 @ Mar 26 2010, 02:52 PM) *
I favor Hopkins to take it via competitive decision but Jones is live I think.

B-Hop isn't a HUGE puncher, and its not like he's going to force an incredible pace at his age either.

I expect a chess match with both guys trying to counter. I think Hopkins will turn it up a bit late and be busier while Jones will probably land a few flashy shots.

Woudn't be surprised either way what happens unless either guy wins via KO.

I agree. Hopkins is not the supremely conditioned animal he once was. He and Jones are still in pretty good shape for 40+ year old fighters.

I expect Hopkins to come in with his trunks all the way up to his armpits because that's where he'll be expecting Jones to do most of the damage.
Method
Nah I wasn't implying you should lay a bet on X, but if it was me, I'd just let it be without betting anything. Nowadays though I'm starting it see it your way.

I hear you bro, but I HAD to. I figured if Ex came out flat or not busy or effective enough and lost a dec, at least I'd still feel like a winner, or be less pissed about the loss. I'm in a win win situation. Hopkins wins, cool. If he loses, I won me some loot. Cool.

I'm a far cry away from 2001-ish, where I woulda been pissed if he lost. I thought he won both Taylor fights, and I didn't even care that much when he got the short end of those decisions.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 26 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Jones is beyond done at this point....I can't see him beating hopkins or anyone else with a pulse.

Hopkins easy KO in 7.

It's like some of you are dismissing the Danny Green KO loss, which for me killed all interest in this fight. Roy no longer even deserves to fight EX because he got KO'd by Danny Green. I mean I like Danny Green but let's be honest it was fucking Danny Green! A loss in one round.

Rematch and beat Green, Roy, otherwise retire. This old-timers fight is so stupid! And if Hopkins somehow loses, it takes away or at least tarnishes the greatness of Hopkins over the last 15 years. I would hate for that to happen!

Jack
Method
Oh trust me, I may be betting on a stoppage too. Again, small.
Keith
I believe the fight will be more exciting then anticipated.

They have a healthy dislike for each other at this point and both have to know that the loser is completely finished.

Hopkins by KO in the late rounds. Jones doesnt have the legs to punch and move his way to victory. Hopkins methodically wears him down. At some point late in the fight, Jones will get stuck with his back to the ropes and... Pow!
enigma1969
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 26 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I got Jones by Unanimous Decision...just because Method said he'll be out there for this fight.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, I would not be stunned to see that outcome. Truth be told, I think I'll be more shocked if Ol' Snaggletooth can actually get the KO!

I have plans to be in Vegas. I may check out the fight live. I think Hopkins is going to punish Jones. Jones has lost his legs and reflexes. It will be interesting in the second half of the fight.
Method
Enigs - I'm on Vegas for the fight. Got a suite at THE Hotel at Mandalay. Hit me up and we can hook up for the weigh in, etc. I arrive in Vegas Friday mid AM. Bought tix to the fight in advance (just in case) even though I went against my gut to hold off until I got out there (to find a deal). But I got a for my brother and I.

If you are out there, this is a foregone conclusion.
jvo1800
Lets be realistic people, everybody who's saying knockout might as well forget it. Get ready to watch a full 12 round fight(unless a cut occurs which forces a stoppage) because neither one of them has had a legitimate knockout in years. Roy is my favorite fighter of all time but im just being real, but i can see Jones winning because Hopkins is just not busy enough. Its gonna kinda be like the Clottey vs Pacquiao fight where Manny wasnt touching Clottey much, but he was stealing the rounds by being active and making it look good. Roy isnt that busy himself but he's definitley gonna throw many more punches than Bernard even though i dont think the connect percentage is gonna be high for neither one i still think Roy is going to steal most of the rounds by being the busier fighter. I know one thing, if the Roy that fought Lacy a few months ago shows up then Hopkins might be in trouble cause if u know anything about Bernard you'll know he struggles with fast fighters and that Roy looked pretty fast to me.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 26 2010, 10:15 AM) *

No. Jones is going to get a beating...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 26 2010, 10:40 AM) *

laugh.gif

You've been smoking that shit again.

cool.gif
King Eugene
Everybody on this board knows I went from the biggest Roy hugger to fan but goodness gracious...this isn't Roy from 93. I'm not saying he cant but he sure as hell dont move and box like he use to. Bernard isn't a big pressure fighter either but he knows how to apply pressure. He doesn't pack a punch like Danny Green but he can still crack. If he sit back and tries to box and pick shots with Roy he could damn well lose a decision but if he hug and hits like he likes to do and Roy sits on the ropes and try to counter like he likes to do then Hopkins will cruise to an ugly decision. I'm picking Hopkins but I'm rooting like hell for Roy!

On another note it kind of feels like Liddell vs. Rampage...there is always one guy that just have your number.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 27 2010, 12:04 AM) *
Enigs - I'm on Vegas for the fight. Got a suite at THE Hotel at Mandalay. Hit me up and we can hook up for the weigh in and strippers and booze a plenty. I arrive in Vegas Friday mid AM. Got a dinner at NOBU I have to go to, which anyone can attend, and am free to fuck around all night and all day Sat. Bought tix to the fight just in case even though I went against my gut to hold off until I got out there (to find a deal). But I got a pair of the $750's for my brother and I. We're second row right off the floor broadside. But Im working on getting tix for a larger group (3-4) by which I would just forgo the tix I bought if what I can score for me, my bro, and whoever else are an upgrade.

Regardless, if you are out there, this is a foregone conclusion.

Okay ... shoot me your cell # and if things are cool my way I will hit you up.
enigma1969
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Mar 27 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Lets be realistic people, everybody who's saying knockout might as well forget it. Get ready to watch a full 12 round fight(unless a cut occurs which forces a stoppage) because neither one of them has had a legitimate knockout in years. Roy is my favorite fighter of all time but im just being real, but i can see Jones winning because Hopkins is just not busy enough. Its gonna kinda be like the Clottey vs Pacquiao fight where Manny wasnt touching Clottey much, but he was stealing the rounds by being active and making it look good. Roy isnt that busy himself but he's definitley gonna throw many more punches than Bernard even though i dont think the connect percentage is gonna be high for neither one i still think Roy is going to steal most of the rounds by being the busier fighter. I know one thing, if the Roy that fought Lacy a few months ago shows up then Hopkins might be in trouble cause if u know anything about Bernard you'll know he struggles with fast fighters and that Roy looked pretty fast to me.

I fell you BUT Roy Jones can't take a punch ... I have a feeling that Bhops will be going for the KO! Hopkins has let his hands go in the last two fights in has been in. And dawg much respect BUt comparing Hopkins and Clottey is insulting at best to Bhops. The reason this fight will not even resemble Clottey vs Manny is Jones can't move anymore. While Hopkins has a personal score to settle plus he is preserved. There will be a KO!

Ex in TEN!
Nay_Sayer
It ain't happening but the question needs to be asked;

If Jones wins....

What then?
Maxy
Like quite a few people I've actually warmed to this fight the closer it gets. In terms of significance it still doesn't mean a lot but it's two legends, one with a huge grudge, so my excitement pulse is beginning to tick a little now.

Honestly I don't see how Jones can win. He'll surely need his legs in this one and they appear to have completely gone. Hopkins is desperate to get his long awaited revenge and he's nowhere near as far past his best as Roy is.

If Roy can summon one last performance, if he has the legs, if he can keep up the work rate, I can see him winning. With Roy though it's all about if's so I'm going with Hopkins to win a clear UD or perhaps force a late rounds stoppage.
AussieLad
Jones needs to treat this as a 4 round fight, and try and put Bernard away, because he can't win a decision with the legs he has left.

He still has the speed and the pop to hurt bernard early, and if he does, he needs to blow his wad going for the kill
KookedKrack
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 27 2010, 07:10 AM) *
Jones needs to treat this as a 4 round fight, and try and put Bernard away, because he can't win a decision with the legs he has left.

He still has the speed and the pop to hurt bernard early, and if he does, he needs to blow his wad going for the kill

shok.gif Blasphemy

When have you seen Bernard hurt? and what makes you think this version of Roy Jones can do it?
Provo209
This fight I think is a Toss up,Roy looked like shit in his last fight and BHop looked old and slow...
ROLL DEEP
Jones has no way of winning.

Well, he does if it was 2001, but not in 2010.

He has his speed still, but nothing in the chin and legs department, so he'll win the first 4 rounds or so, then it's Hopkins all the way.

If Jones does somehow win, Hopkins will slide down next to Calzaghe in my 'all time rankings' list, laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Mar 27 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Jones has no way of winning.

Well, he does if it was 2001, but not in 2010.

He has his speed still, but nothing in the chin and legs department, so he'll win the first 4 rounds or so, then it's Hopkins all the way.

If Jones does somehow win, Hopkins will slide down next to Calzaghe in my 'all time rankings' list, laugh.gif

Ouch.
AussieLad
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 27 2010, 02:12 PM) *
shok.gif Blasphemy

When have you seen Bernard hurt? and what makes you think this version of Roy Jones can do it?

I think a hard shot from jones, one with speed that you dont see coming, can pretty much rattle anyone in the division. As to whether he can pull the trigger and land it?????????????

Besides, i was pretty much saying thats his only shot.

Bernards going to win this
jvo1800
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ Mar 27 2010, 12:33 AM) *
I fell you BUT Roy Jones can't take a punch ... I have a feeling that Bhops will be going for the KO! Hopkins has let his hands go in the last two fights in has been in. And dawg much respect BUt comparing Hopkins and Clottey is insulting at best to Bhops. The reason this fight will not even resemble Clottey vs Manny is Jones can't move anymore. While Hopkins has a personal score to settle plus he is preserved. There will be a KO!

Ex in TEN!

I feel u too but honestly when was the last time B-Hop had a knockout? Even in his prime he wasnt a knockout artist plus Bernard doesnt even have a knockout punch, he throws the same over hand right while tucking his head down and thats it. Plus Roy is already aware of that punch cause he called it out in one of his recent interviews, so even with a weak chin i dont see a knockout cause Roy is ready for his signature punch. Also i wasnt comparing Clottey to Bernard as a fighter i was comparing the styles as far as when it comes time to judge the rounds. Roy or Bernard are not busy fighters but Roy is going to be jabbing at him and mixing it up while Bernard step side to side, up and down playing a chess match all night trying to catch Roy with a big shot and he's gonna lose rounds by doing that. Jones doesnt need to move much cause Bernard is not going to attack like that because u still have to respect Roy's speed regardless of his weak chin, legs, and whatever else he's lost.
The Original MrFactor
Hey, I'm calling a draw. Jones looks to win 6 rounds. Hopkins wins 6 rounds in a snorefest... 2 guys overly defensive, who dont want to fight to win
Lil-lightsout
I think it should be an entertaining scrap. Do not know how it will turn out though.
xxxxxx
X Wins by late fight stoppage.
lloyd mayflower
Maybe im writing him off, but I really dont see any possible way that Jones can pull this out.

BHop TKO10
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Mar 28 2010, 12:26 PM) *
Maybe im writing him off, but I really dont see any possible way that Jones can pull this out.

BHop TKO10

Ditto.
Method
After taking some painkillers the other night (just happened to have few) I dreamt that I had a dream that B-Hop KO'd him in 6, and I was pissed in my dream that I didn't bet it, so maybe I should, even though its basically a probabilistic impossibility. Random.
MarzB
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Mar 28 2010, 11:26 AM) *

BHop TKO10

I do and I'll explain. People are saying Jones is washed up based on what happened against Calzaghe and Danny Green. The Calzaghe fight to me definitely Jones got it handed to him. Now while I could careless about how 'tough' someone is I noticed that Jones isn't credited with being a "warrior" by some for going to distance in a fight his corner could have clearly thrown the towel in for him.

Then you have the Green fight. Green lands to me a shot that landed on the crown of Roy's head and it was more of his wiits/equilibrium were off.

Neither one of those fights factor into this because Bernard while his right hand is his best shot, doesn't really throw looping rights and isn't a "power puncher" of sorts. Also, I know that SAINT BERNARD can do no wrong in some eyes but Bernard despite having an outstanding career and keeping himself in great shape and remaining competitive in all his fights. HE HAS PROBLEMS WITH GUYS WITH FAST HANDS!! I don't see how that isn't part of the discussion and Roy definitely still has fast hands.

The thing thats intriguing though and Hopkins pointed this out is that Roy's legs aren't as fast so he doesn't really have to worry about being tagged and Roy NOT being there for the counter. This is a great point.

I think the intangible is that Bernard has been waiting and wanting this more than Roy does now. So the determination factor goes on his side. I also think it can't go without note that Roy has seen/COVERED MORE of Nard's fights than vice versa. I'm not talking on television either. Fighters see things in other fighters live that don't always come out on television. That said I believe knowing 'Nard very closely does bode well for Jones here.

It's not impossible for Jones to pull off a win here is what I'm saying because while Jones is vulnerable to big shots, Nard doesn't deliver those. Nard said from his own mouth after the Pavlik fight that he was going to open up more, do you all think he is?? Neither do I..

Nard's NOT going to open up because it'll compromise one of his greatest assets and thats his defense. I think this is going to be a much better fight than people are scoffing at.
Spyder
I think the part that makes this fight interesting is that Roy knows what Nard's gameplan will be. He said word for word what everyone thinks is going to happen...Hops is going to get inside, rough him up, and then knock him out.

Roy's boxing mind has never been his problem...it is more of his body not being able to do what his mind wants. But, I'm interested to see if Roy has a better grasp of what his capabilities are, and can make the adjustments to stop Bernard from imposing his will.

I'm actually looking forward to this one...
ROLL DEEP
With each day I'm getting more pumped for this fight!

YEEE HAAAAAAA!
D-MARV
For some reason, I pretty hyped as well.

Is this fight gonna be one of those cheap HBO PPV's? With Mario Lopez hosting?

JD
HBO will be distributing it, but has nothing to do with the production of it.
Method
HE HAS PROBLEMS WITH GUYS WITH FAST HANDS!! I don't see how that isn't part of the discussion and Roy definitely still has fast hands.

Yup. Definitely agree. That said, Hopkins HAS covered Roy just as much as Roy has covered Hopkins. Don't think for a second he hasn't.

I watched Tarver/Jones I w Ex and Naazim at the Sports Cafe in Miami Beach and while Hopkins fell asleep sitting up for the under-card, he was awake and alert for the main event, and he had an earful for Tarver that night, screaming at the big screen.

Its NOT just about Green and Calzaghe, bro, you also have to consider Tarver and Johnson.

Nard's NOT going to open up because it'll compromise one of his greatest assets and that's his defense. I think this is going to be a much better fight than people are scoffing at.

Agree as well. He talked a lot of shit going in to the rematch w Taylor, and, even though I thought he won BOTH fights w JT, he did NOT do what he said he was GOING TO DO in the rematch. Again, I thought he won BOTH, albeit for different reasons, but that's not the point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.