Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guzman overweight again
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
He's obviously done this on purpose because he doesn't think he can win. He should be banned for life.
flazi
What is up with this dude? He is overweight for the what the 3rd time in his career? i have tickets to this fight and if he doesn't fight then i will be disappointed.
KookedKrack
mad.gif

Dude is making Dominicans look bad.
D-MARV
I hope you're Joking!
Maxy
No Joke.
D-MARV
Fuck Guzman!

The fight is still on... Funeka is ALL man.

WAR Funeka!
Maxy
Props to Funeka for going ahead with the fight, provided Guzman doesn't weigh more than 150 tomorrow morning.

Still, this is completely unprofessional from Guzman. What was he thinking? What were his trainers doing? There really can't be an excuse for such excessive weight.
Fitz
I have lost a lot of respect for Guzman. Was it a fight with Campbell that he did this in as well?

Very unprofessional and he can go fuck himself. Of course after he wins this fight so I can get my money back, lol.
JD
Well at least he put forth the effort to make weight.
Keith
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 26 2010, 07:00 PM) *

laugh.gif
Michigan Assassin
This dude is a fucking piece of shit. He gets a mother fucking gift draw in his first fight with Funeka. And then gets an even bigger gift with this bullshit rematch and then does this.

Dude should never be given a big fight again.

On the flipside, you gotta love Funeka. Last time this happened, against Campbell he lost a close decision but didn't let that deter his decision to go through with this one where, honestly, he will be at a great disadvantage ala Corrales v Castillo II.
Romulus9
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 26 2010, 07:00 PM) *

Really? WHEN?!

laugh.gif wtf.gif
Method
They should institute a rule that if a fighter comes in over weight at a specific weight class, ESPECIALLY by more than a pound or so, MORE than once, he can never fight in that particular weight class again. Too much for too many parties is on the line for this bullshit to happen in the 11th hour. His team should be fined too. They obviously knew about this shit. If the team knowingly puts their guy on the scale overweight, they should be punished too. Give them the chance to walk away from their fighter up to three days before the weigh-in, without any recourse, but the second they put him on the scale, knowing he's 2+ lbs overweight, MORE THAN ONCE, his team should be fined and suspended, as well as the fighter. The fighter can go on with the fight and immediately after he is suspended indefinitely, with a chance for reinstatement after a year (ala Margarito).
KookedKrack
This is fucked up .......dude is pretty much weighing at welter today and who know how much he will be weighing tomorrow.
Snoop
Dude. 9 fucking pounds overweight? Funeka is crazy to be taking this fight. He must really need $$.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 26 2010, 10:44 PM) *
I have lost a lot of respect for Guzman. Was it a fight with Campbell that he did this in as well?

Very unprofessional and he can go fuck himself. Of course after he wins this fight so I can get my money back, lol.

They took off the betting line after Guzman weighed in as nearly a damn welterweight. lol.
pcraw
Pathetic. After all of his, "This will never happen again, I will fight Nate Campbell for free," bullshit and now this. He would never fight for any title of mine if I was an alphabet owner.
Nay_Sayer
Fucking shameful...
JD
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 26 2010, 07:59 PM) *
This is fucked up .......dude is pretty much weighing at welter today and who know how much he will be weighing tomorrow.

He is not allowed to weight more than 150 pounds at 7 AM tomorrow.

enigma1969
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 27 2010, 04:26 AM) *

This is not surprising. Guzman is know to blow up to 180lbs in between fights. he had a hard time making 135lbs for the last fight. Personally he has wasted his vast gifts. Not seizing his day to become a great fighter.
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 27 2010, 11:24 AM) *
They took off the betting line after Guzman weighed in as nearly a damn welterweight. lol.

On the site I use, they still have the Guzman line available, and my bet is still going on right now as I put money on Guzman to win a decision yesterday.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 27 2010, 07:27 AM) *
On the site I use, they still have the Guzman line available, and my bet is still going on right now as I put money on Guzman to win a decision yesterday.

They put it back up, but for whatever reason you can't bet on it.
JD
Can you imagine if Guzman were fighting Pacquiao? He'd be $90 mill in the hole right now.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 27 2010, 05:26 AM) *

Any update on how much he weighed this morning?
enigma1969
QUOTE (Snoop @ Mar 27 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Any update on how much he weighed this morning?

The Funeka-Guzman rematch was supposed to be for a vacant lightweight title but the bout technically became a welterweight contest on Friday when Guzman weighed in nine pounds over the 135-pound lightweight limit.

The fight could have been -- and some would argue should have been -- canceled, but the show will go on as scheduled. Funeka, who weighed in at 135 pounds on Friday, will receive 25 percent of Guzmanís purse per Nevada State Athletic Commission rules. While Guzman, who weighed 144 pounds, was not permitted to weigh more than 150 pounds by Saturday morning, when the two were weighed again. Funeka, who put on a considerable amount of weight overnight after the weighin for their first fight, was told to weigh no more than 145 pounds.

Both fighters came through to keep the bout alive. Guzman weighed 148.2 pounds at the Saturday morning weighin. Funeka weighed 143.2 pounds.

Source: www.ringtv.com

Guzman needs to move up to 140lbs. He can't make 135lbs anymore. I don't know if he can 140lbs truth be told. It is well know that Guzman blows up to around 180lbs in between fights.

[i]"Changes were made for this bout. Guzman employed British trainer Lee Beard along with nutritionist Kerry Kayes and spent four weeks in England to fully focus on boxing, away from any potential distractions in his adopted hometown of Brooklyn, N.Y.

Given what occurred at the scales on Friday, Kayesí Wednesday comment that he wished he had Guzman for a full 10-12 week camp makes more sense. What is not understood is how Guzman and his team were acting like everything was fine and dandy at Wednesday's workout. They had to have known he wasnít anywhere near the weight and which makes you wonder if Guzman ever had any intention of making the weight.

This isnít his first time with weight issues. Guzman forced a world title bout cancellation on the day before his fight with Nate Campbell in September of 2008. Guzman said he was too dehydrated to get down to 135 after coming in at 138 and the bout was scrapped. Guzman may have partied it up over the holidays after Novemberís bout with Funeka. According to Kayes he showed up in England at nearly 175 pounds. Having to lose eight pounds a week for five weeks up until fight time is asking far too much for a fighter his age."
[/i]

Snoop
Thanks for the update.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm surprised the comission is even going ahead with this fight. I mean coming in 9 pounds overweight can be a serious safety concern to a fighter. He didn't drain himself to make weight, and he's going to be strong in there tonight. It's just dissapointing that a fighter like Funeka who put it all on the line and was professional has to suffer. He may receive a KO loss tonight and it would be back of the line again. That's bullshit to me and that's not right. I really hope Guzman loses every round tonight, and doesn't get back on HBO and Showtime again. What a waste of talent this guy was. He could have been a big time fighter, but he didn't have the mentality of a champion.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 27 2010, 09:40 AM) *
Can you imagine if Guzman were fighting Pacquiao? He'd be $90 mill in the hole right now.

loooooooooooooooool
lloyd mayflower
I got my bet on Guzman, and only put it on before I came to work a few hours ago. Maybe my bookie didnt do his homework, either way, wouldnt mind the cash
D-MARV
Wrong Thread! LMAO
EpTXCHAMP
The sad thing was That guzman was proud of his win. He acted like he just won the championship after buffer announced he won hopefully someone will k.o this fraud at 140
flazi
I was at the fight. Guzman is a classless individual. Funeka should get an award or a bonus check. All he does is make weight and fight his heart out. As a matter of fact we all thought he won, he was way busier and landed way more power shots. Guzman's shots looked good but they were few. how can you give a man a round cause he lands 4 big powershots when the other presses the action and lands 15 powershots? Guzman never even tried to make weight then he flaunts his victory like he did something. what an ass.
Cayo is one tough cookie, he could have lasted longer if he would have kept his damn hands up. That being said Maidana is a beast. Seriously it sound like dynamite going of when he landed punches, he has some heavy heavy hands.
Hard rock sucks to watch boxing. They only had crap beer because it was a tecate event, no screen, no clock.
JonnyBlaze
Bullshit is all I gotta say..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.