Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A open letter to Roy Jones Jr
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
STEVENSKI
Hi Roy,

It's Danny here. I have for months listened to an endless series of excuses and false allegations that you and your camp have made in the media and on the internet as to the reasons why I beat you in our fight last December.

It is now time that I had my say and let the public know the truth about you and what went on in the fight.

December 2, 2009, is a night in my life that cannot ever be tarnished.

It is a night that featured one of the greatest sporting upsets in my great country's proud history - one for the battler and the underdog.

I was a 5/1 outsider to lose to you Roy, so much so that you had begun counting your money from the upcoming Bernard Hopkins rematch you so arrogantly flaunted while on your seemingly "done-deal" trip Down Under to collect a payday against a sure thing.

Just like the title of one of your hip-hop albums Roy, "Y'all musta forgot" that I am not just an easybeat opponent with the power and hunger that I possess, and now you know that, mate. The smile still creases my face at the thought of those glorious 122 seconds that made a nation cheer.

You said immediately after the fight the better man won and held up my hand as the victor. But since that night you have offered one sorry excuse after another as to why I beat you, including to your eternal discredit falsely alleging that I cheated.

It's time for you to face the facts.

The day after the fight you complained the referee stopped it early.

C'mon Roy, did you want to leave the stadium in an ambulance?

The referee acted to protect you, as he was required to after 46 unanswered punches.

When you returned to America you complained that the gloves we gave you to use were not satisfactory.

Roy, it's time you looked hard at not getting hit in the head ever again mate - you supplied and used your own gloves.

You then alleged that my hand wraps were illegal, as I had wrapped them to make an illegal cast to hit you with. This is a low blow as you are saying that I cheated to beat you.

Given your lies it is time the facts came out:

* THE hand wraps were the same wraps I used in five previous world title fights, in Germany, Montreal, Australia and even in the fight in Mississippi that set our blockbuster bout up, under your own governing body's jurisdiction;

* MY hand wraps were personally inspected by three independent inspectors of the NSW Combat Sports Authority and they each certified that my wraps were legal and gave me no advantage whatsoever. They did this by visual inspection and by physical inspection to confirm that the bandaging was soft;

* IN an attempt to unsettle me before the fight, your representatives in my dressing room specifically complained to the independent inspectors about the hand wraps and the inspectors inspected them again and ruled that the wraps were fine;

* YOUR complaint that you have been denied due process is embarrassing. Your complaint was ruled upon before the fight by the independent inspectors and found to be baseless. You have no more right to challenge that decision after the fight than a decision of the referee;

* WE had expert opinion from international boxing icons coming to my defence, agreeing your complaint was nothing but sour grapes; and

* THE only people who are suggesting that there was any problem with my wraps are people in your camp, who would also profit from you continuing to fight.

Roy, you know how the age-old saying goes - the mark of a true champion is how they accept defeat.

When the time came for you to stand up and show the world what type of champion you were, well, let's just say, you sat down.

You then flew back to America and went into damage control in an attempt to salvage the Hopkins rematch that had now been derailed due to your annihilation.

It's obvious you were clutching at straws, but it was to my detriment. You got a lot of mileage out of those allegations, so much so that the Hopkins fight is going ahead. It is now time for you to stand up again and to stop the excuses, as it is damaging your reputation and spoiling your legacy. It is time for you to be a man and accept that the better man beat you on the night.

My coach and I dissected your game punch by punch, and I did a number on you that memorable night.

It is time for you to accept your defeat like a true champion rather than as a sore loser. You may have secured yourself another payday by carrying on, but one thing you can never do is erase the utter jubilation and cherished memories from the night an underdog took down a legend.

Thanks for the opportunity, Roy.

Regards, Danny

I like the following quotes

Roy, it's time you looked hard at not getting hit in the head ever again mate -

When the time came for you to stand up and show the world what type of champion you were, well, let's just say, you sat down.

My personal favourite though is

C'mon Roy, did you want to leave the stadium in an ambulance?
D-MARV
Who's Danny Green?
Snoop
I thought this was an open letter to RJJ from STEVENSKI in which I expected to read: "Fuck you."
Byrd Man
Roy Musta forgot! lol
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 09:41 AM) *
Who's Danny Green?

The 5/1 underdog that knocked out a boxing legend in 1 round.

Your comment is what actually made this upset so funny. Because everyone outside of Australia were asking, who is Danny Green. Even Bernard Hopkins said that and Hopkins said the only way he would be impressed if he knocked Jones out. Happened in 1 round, which makes the "who is....." comment even more hilarious.

laugh.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 07:06 PM) *
The 5/1 underdog that knocked out a boxing legend in 1 round.

Your comment is what actually made this upset so funny. Because everyone outside of Australia were asking, who is Danny Green. Even Bernard Hopkins said that and Hopkins said the only way he would be impressed if he knocked Jones out. Happened in 1 round, which makes the "who is....." comment even more hilarious.

laugh.gif

Who is he fighting next?
Fitz
Manny Siaca because Hopkins and Tarver don't want to fight him, and this is the second time Tarver has ducked Green. So he is now going to fight Siaca.

What point are you trying to make? You are being all coy and trying to insinuate something, just be straight forward. What is it exactly you are trying to get at?
getup

Can comeone explain why Danny's wraps were done allegedly upto 2 hrs before the fight and why a rep from Jones' camp wasn't present during this time? Notice how Green doesn't dispute this....c'mon.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 07:48 PM) *
Manny Siaca because Hopkins and Tarver don't want to fight him, and this is the second time Tarver has ducked Green. So he is now going to fight Siaca.

What point are you trying to make? You are being all coy and trying to insinuate something, just be straight forward. What is it exactly you are trying to get at?

Oh, Im sorry Fitzy... Did I hit a soft spot?

Go back and check the past threads. I gave Green plenty of credit. BUT, the fact that a KO Victory over a VERY SHOT Roy is the best thing that ever happen to Green (And Green still finds it necessary to write Roy a letter) tells me all I need to know about Green and his legacy.
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Oh, Im sorry Fitzy... Did I hit a soft spot?

Go back and check the past threads. I gave Green plenty of credit. BUT, the fact that a KO Victory over a VERY SHOT Roy is the best thing that ever happen to Green (And Green still finds it necessary to write Roy a letter) tells me all I need to know about Green and his legacy.

No you haven't hit a soft spot. I just found your post a little dumb. Trying to make a point how he is a nobody. People are aware of that on a world scale. Danny Green didn't say anything disrespectful, stupid or outrageous. He wrote a perfectly classy letter defending himself.
You have Jones Jr still speaking out to the US media on how Danny Green is a cheat and making all these accusations in the US media. What do you want him (Green) to do, or how should he have handled it?
Obviously to you, he can't write out a respectful letter to defend himself because he is a nobody, so what's the best way a 'nobody' should defend himself other than writing a respectful letter? Because clearly, only marquee names are allowed to write letters.

Also, yes Jones was shot, but he was a favourite, was expected to win and I am just guessing, I may be wrong but I doubt you picked Green to win either. It was an upset whether Jones was shot or not, and usually an underdog is an underdog for a reason, so Green must get credit for that win. It doesn't mean it is a great win looking at the bigger picture, but he still did what most thought he couldn't do, so he gets credit for that.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 08:09 PM) *
No you haven't hit a soft spot. I just found your post a little dumb. Trying to make a point how he is a nobody. People are aware of that on a world scale. Danny Green didn't say anything disrespectful, stupid or outrageous. He wrote a perfectly classy letter defending himself.
You have Jones Jr still speaking out to the US media on how Danny Green is a cheat and making all these accusations in the US media. What do you want him (Green) to do, or how should he have handled it?
Obviously to you, he can't write out a respectful letter to defend himself because he is a nobody, so what's the best way a 'nobody' should defend himself other than writing a respectful letter? Because clearly, only marquee names are allowed to write letters.

Also, yes Jones was shot, but he was a favourite, was expected to win and I am just guessing, I may be wrong but I doubt you picked Green to win either. It was an upset whether Jones was shot or not, and usually an underdog is an underdog for a reason, so Green must get credit for that win. It doesn't mean it is a great win looking at the bigger picture, but he still did what most thought he couldn't do, so he gets credit for that.

LMAO...

Dude, It's not that serious. Most people here in the U.S don't even know Roy was KO'd in his last fight. My father had no clue until I told him last week. I wish nothing but the best for Danny Green. I hope he finds a way to build off his career-defining victory.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 30 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Who's Danny Green?

The man who knocked out Mr Unknockoutable is who.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 30 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Oh, Gotcha.
STEVENSKI
Green is a good guy. He is a great ambassador for the sport with the way he carries & conducts himself. He just can't seem to land the big fights the way he lands his big punches LOL.
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 11:15 AM) *
LMAO...

Dude, It's not that serious. Most people here in the U.S don't even know Roy was KO'd in his last fight. My father had no clue until I told him last week. I wish nothing but the best for Danny Green. I hope he finds a way to build off his career-defining victory.

That doesn't explain how you think a 'nobody' should handle accusations of cheating. After all, Pacquiao has defended himself for being accused of cheating (even though Mayweather just wanted a random drug test). Pacquiao even filed a lawsuit.
Green is actually accused of cheating after the fight, and rights a respectful letter just to defend himself, doesn't file a lawsuit, and you think he shouldn't even bother doing that because he is a nobody.
I was just more curious in how he should have handled it as he is not supposed to write a letter for who he is, so was just curious to hear from you how he should have gone about it. My guess is, probably just keep his mouth shut and let Roy tell the media that Green is a cheat.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 09:17 PM) *
That doesn't explain how you think a 'nobody' should handle accusations of cheating. After all, Pacquiao has defended himself for being accused of cheating (even though Mayweather just wanted a random drug test). Pacquiao even filed a lawsuit.
Green is actually accused of cheating after the fight, and rights a respectful letter just to defend himself, doesn't file a lawsuit, and you think he shouldn't even bother doing that because he is a nobody.
I was just more curious in how he should have handled it as he is not supposed to write a letter for who he is, so was just curious to hear from you how he should have gone about it. My guess is, probably just keep his mouth shut and let Roy tell the media that Green is a cheat.

LOL... Danny has every right to defend himself... I'm happy for him. Good Job! Now go get a meaniful fight and move on.
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 12:32 PM) *
LOL... Danny has every right to defend himself... I'm happy for him. Good Job! Now go get a meaniful fight and move on.

Ok.
  • Roy Jones Jr - Knocked out in 1 round
  • Bernard Hopkins - Didn't want to fight him
  • Antonio Tarver - He pulled out of a fight with Green 2 years ago to go fight Ruiz and now said no to him again

Dawson not available. He has tried, now perhaps one of the other guys can fight this nobody and give him a 'meaningful' fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 30 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Mr Unknockoutable? Malinaggi could probably stop Roy too these days, not really saying much. laugh.gif

Always was a big fan of Roy in the ring, but he is such a damn egomaniac, it is easy to understand why people do not like him. Green's win over Roy really does not mean too much, but he seems like a decent guy so good for him to get that win. I just wish Roy would man up and stop making excuses and admit he lost fair and square.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Ok.
  • Roy Jones Jr - Knocked out in 1 round
  • Bernard Hopkins - Didn't want to fight him
  • Antonio Tarver - He pulled out of a fight with Green 2 years ago to go fight Ruiz and now said no to him again

Dawson not available. He has tried, now perhaps one of the other guys can fight this nobody and give him a 'meaningful' fight.

You implying that Tarver is ducking Green is incorrect but whatever... Tarver wanted to make the fight but they could not come to terms.

Dawson told Green to bring it but Green wanted NOTHING to do with it. So don't give me that BULLSHIT about Dawson being busy. Green was quoted saying this about Dawson... "'Not Chad Dawson. I would like to fry bigger fish than him, definitely," Bigger Fish? LMAO get the fuck out of here. Bigger fish like who? Manny FUCKING Siaca?

Im sure the "Green Machine" is a great guy. I like him!!! I hope he does well. Good luck to him!
Fitz
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 01:04 PM) *
You implying that Tarver is ducking Green is incorrect but whatever... Tarver wanted to make the fight but they could not come to terms.

Dawson told Green to bring it but Green wanted NOTHING to do with it. So don't give me that BULLSHIT about Dawson being busy. Green was quoted saying this about Dawson... "'Not Chad Dawson. I would like to fry bigger fish than him, definitely," Bigger Fish? LMAO get the fuck out of here. Bigger fish like who? Manny FUCKING Siaca?

Im sure the "Green Machine" is a great guy. I like him!!! I hope he does well. Good luck to him!

Don't know about Dawson, you may be right. Not going to argue that, but Tarver? What I said is absolutely correct.

2 years ago, Green was scheduled to fight Antonio Tarver in the States. They had agreed to everything verbally. Then a few weeks after, Tarver said he wants more money. Green accepted to take less money. After that, the Green camp called and tried to contact the Tarver team. They didn't answer any calls, or return any calls, they just stopped everything and ignored Green.
Tarver went to to fight some 175 fighter called Ruiz, hahaha.

Now Green issued a second challenge, and no the fight didn't happen. So I am not incorrect. Tarver did duck Green and didn't contact him after Green agreed to his demands. Unless you have a different definition of 'duck'.
JonnyBlaze
This thread is too funny..We got Damarv makin jokes about Green and Fitz and Steve defending their guy..hahaha..The soft spot was hit..
Fitz
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Mar 31 2010, 08:53 PM) *
This thread is too funny..We got Damarv makin jokes about Green and Fitz and Steve defending their guy..hahaha..The soft spot was hit..

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 31 2010, 05:18 AM) *

laugh.gif Hahaha.

Anyway, I used to be a massive fan of Jones, but after his refusal to retire and his whinging and bad mouthing of other fighters, he's beginning to piss me off.

I wouldn't mind if he accepted he's not as good as he was but carried on fighting, but what's with all the classless accusations to make excuses for his shabby and bad performances? Pfffft.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Mar 31 2010, 05:22 AM) *
laugh.gif Hahaha.

Anyway, I used to be a massive fan of Jones, but after his refusal to retire and his whinging and bad mouthing of other fighters, he's beginning to piss me off.

I wouldn't mind if he accepted he's not as good as he was but carried on fighting, but what's with all the classless accusations to make excuses for his shabby and bad performances? Pfffft.

Cosign!

Roy should rematch Green or shut his mouth about all the excuses about the first fight, or retire. Let's just hope Roy gets knocked out............again!

I wonder what Maxi Pad Kellerman's excuses for Roy were when Green beat him!? LOL!

Jack
King Eugene
If I recall correctly Jones said there was a rematch clause and he planned on rematching Green towards the end of the year.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 31 2010, 10:43 AM) *
If I recall correctly Jones said there was a rematch clause and he planned on rematching Green towards the end of the year.

I hope he does. I hope Green beats him proper like. I'd settle for on a stretcher twitching involuntarily & spasming as he is carried out of the ring. Like Eric Sloane in kickboxer.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 30 2010, 09:29 PM) *
Don't know about Dawson, you may be right. Not going to argue that, but Tarver? What I said is absolutely correct.

2 years ago, Green was scheduled to fight Antonio Tarver in the States. They had agreed to everything verbally. Then a few weeks after, Tarver said he wants more money. Green accepted to take less money. After that, the Green camp called and tried to contact the Tarver team. They didn't answer any calls, or return any calls, they just stopped everything and ignored Green.
Tarver went to to fight some 175 fighter called Ruiz, hahaha.

Now Green issued a second challenge, and no the fight didn't happen. So I am not incorrect. Tarver did duck Green and didn't contact him after Green agreed to his demands. Unless you have a different definition of 'duck'.

You make good points as always Fitz and I'm certainly not going to disagree with you over this as you seem to be pretty clued up as to how negotiations went. However when you say duck to me it almost implies Tarver is scared of Green. When you consider that Tarver called out Roid at a time when he was considered unbeatable, fought a slick super tough guy like Hopkins, went 2 fights with the indefatigable Glen Johnson and then fought an undefeated Chad Dawson I see no reason for Tarver to 'duck' Green unless it was because didn't like the money on offer.

Trust me I fuckin hate Tarver, but Danny Green doesn't seem like the kind of guy Tarver would go out of his way to avoid unless it was simply down to money etc, not because Green was some kind of monster he was scared to face.

Shoot if he felt that then he only need go on to YouTube and see Toney handing him his ass.

'C'mon paper champ!!'
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 31 2010, 07:40 AM) *
I hope he does. I hope Green beats him proper like. I'd settle for on a stretcher twitching involuntarily & spasming as he is carried out of the ring. Like Eric Sloane in kickboxer.

If they fight again I doubt Green catches him. Remember Jones vs. Tarver III? My boy will be on that Olympic style bike laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 31 2010, 07:07 AM) *
If they fight again I doubt Green catches him. Remember Jones vs. Tarver III? My boy will be on that Olympic style bike laugh.gif

I hope this is not a boast? That would be a pretty sad way to fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 31 2010, 12:42 PM) *
Trust me I fuckin hate Tarver, but Danny Green doesn't seem like the kind of guy Tarver would go out of his way to avoid unless it was simply down to money etc, not because Green was some kind of monster he was scared to face.

I think Green was offering pretty big money to Tarver to come down under. World class & recognised fighters usually make decent coin out here. I know Roy sure did.

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 31 2010, 01:07 PM) *

We all know he will make better speed on one of these babies!

King Eugene
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 31 2010, 08:22 AM) *
I hope this is not a boast? That would be a pretty sad way to fight.

Thats far from a boast. I'm just stating he'd know to stay the fuck out of the way.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 31 2010, 07:42 AM) *
You make good points as always Fitz and I'm certainly not going to disagree with you over this as you seem to be pretty clued up as to how negotiations went. However when you say duck to me it almost implies Tarver is scared of Green. When you consider that Tarver called out Roid at a time when he was considered unbeatable, fought a slick super tough guy like Hopkins, went 2 fights with the indefatigable Glen Johnson and then fought an undefeated Chad Dawson I see no reason for Tarver to 'duck' Green unless it was because didn't like the money on offer.

Shoot if he felt that then he only need go on to YouTube and see Toney handing him his ass.

'C'mon paper champ!!'

Im sure fitz heard some things over there BUT I doubt HIGHLY that Tarver is/has ducked Green.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 31 2010, 12:50 PM) *
Im sure fitz heard some things over there BUT I doubt HIGHLY that Tarver is/has ducked Green.

I think it is a case of what would he have made more from?

A) Fighting Green would give him plenty of cash but no recognition least of all on the major US networks

cool.gif Fighting Dawson would have given him less cash but exposure on the US networks along with if he got a win being the best 175lber out there.

He weighed it up & decided that if he beat Dawson it would be better for him long term.

That is my opinion without hate, bias or malice.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 31 2010, 07:47 AM) *
Thats far from a boast. I'm just stating he'd know to stay the fuck out of the way.

Yeah by running. Not a great advert for your guy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 31 2010, 08:02 AM) *

A) Fighting Green would give him plenty of cash but no recognition least of all on the major US networks

cool.gif Fighting Dawson would have given him less cash but exposure on the US networks along with if he got a win being the best 175lber out there.

He weighed it up & decided that if he beat Dawson it would be better for him long term.

I'd second that. Sounds about right to me.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 31 2010, 09:02 AM) *

That's the impression I get as well.
Fitz
But you are forgetting that Tarver was scheduled and had a DATE with Tarver. About 2-3 months out from the fight, Tarver wasn't picking up calls from team Green or returning them. It was very unprofessional and he ended up fighting Ruiz on that date, not Green or not Dawson.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 31 2010, 10:50 PM) *
But you are forgetting that Tarver was scheduled and had a DATE with Tarver. About 2-3 months out from the fight, Tarver wasn't picking up calls from team Green or returning them. It was very unprofessional and he ended up fighting Ruiz on that date, not Green or not Dawson.

That is true. I do remember Green was not happy about how Tarver was refusing to return his calls about the fight. He should go & smack his crackeaded ass when he is commentating on SHO.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 31 2010, 08:17 PM) *
That is true. I do remember Green was not happy about how Tarver was refusing to return his calls about the fight. He should go & smack his crackeaded ass when he is commentating on SHO.

No, what he should have done was written an open letter...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 1 2010, 06:19 AM) *
No, what he should have done was written an open letter...

No you can't reason with a crackhead the only thing they understand is a beatdown. Tarver is asking for one & so was Roy. LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 1 2010, 02:54 AM) *
No you can't reason with a crackhead the only thing they understand is a beatdown. Tarver is asking for one & so was Roy. LOL

Well what about Mundine?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 1 2010, 07:02 AM) *
Well what about Mundine?

Well Mundine is a Abo cunt. He got Green when he was weight drained & looked like Skeletor.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 1 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Well Mundine is a Abo cunt. He got Green when he was weight drained & looked like Skeletor.

yea yea yea excuses excuses
King Eugene
double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.