Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Tribute to Larry Merchant
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
enigma1969
This idea came to me way of the Traver Thread ... I wanted to pay respect to the Great Larry Merchant. Love him or Hate him. There is no one like him in my opinion. I grew up on listening to him and his timely quotes and remarks.

Larry Merchant is a legend ...

His background as a writer for the newspaper makes him golden. He is a true original. Here are some quotes from the Merchant - please add or just give your thoughts, good, bad, ugly and the indifferent.

-"Peter comes from the old school of swing in case you hit something"

-"Vernon Forrest: "First of all, I would like to thank God for my victory..."

Larry (interrupting): "You ought to thank the judges." " on the Forrest-Quartey fight.

-"Klitschko seems so perfect, I wonder what what's wrong with him"

And then after Sanders KOd him "Well, I guess we found out what was wrong with him."

-"Castillo used his hands more when he was making his way from Cuba to Florida"

-"Naz says that when he fights he has music in his head...whatever it is, I dont wanna hear it"

George Foreman : "She is like a Raging Bull"

Merchant : "You mean a Raging Cow George" On Christy Martin

"Larry the whole world knows I won the fight. You tell em Larry, you know I won.

Larry: Actually, i had you losing 116-112

oh... "

Not a quote but anyone remembers -

Larry Merchant questioning Tim Witherspoon about his weight being very heavy, and Witherspoon responded that he was comfortable with his weight.
Larry told him if you want comfort, go to the beach. This is a fight, and you owe it to the fans to come in shape.

" Tyson looks like he step out of a correctional institution... " during the Tyson vs Tubbs.

Merchant - You said it was going to be entertaining. We had people walking out after the tenth. Why wasnt it?
Mayweather - You never give me credit etc etc etc Larry Merchant should stick to commentating and Floyd Mayweather should stick to boxing
Merchant - Well thats what I am doing Floyd and I am asking why wasnt it entertaining.

"That whale was just harpooned." - on a bloated 260 lb Kirk Johnson getting KO'ed in 2 by Vitali Klitschko.

"All I wished for was an event where people could come and see two great fighters... it turned out they came to see just one great fighter." - DLH-Pacquiao post match commentary.

''This must be a pretty good fight Jim, I've already got five dots of blood on my shirt.''

Lampley: "So, Larry, Floyd Mayweather wins the welterweight championship with a flawless display of self defense, then breaks into tears at the news conference saying that he's under appreciated and vows that he's only going to fight one more time. What's goin' on?"

Merchant: "I think he bored himself to tears, Jim."

"If you thought that whale hunting was outlawed in Japan, we just saw that Mike Tyson hadn't heard about it" - After Tyson KO'd Tony Tubbs with a body shot.

"To say he has a Glass jaw is an insult to glass"

''he fights as naturally as a fish swims'' and sometimes the fish is a shark''

"One time, Hopkins was a lion who chased down his prey. Now, he's a lion who waits in the weeds for his prey to come to him"

"Arturo Gatti's best punch is the left cheek to the right glove"

"Calzaghe not only schooled Lacy, but he flunked and expelled him"

"Not only boxing, but the world would be better off if every division had a Manny Pacquiao. We would have peace in the middle east, and global warming would cool off."- Larry Merchant on Manny Pacquiao

"If ego was a crime .. the Prince would be on Deathrow" - During Naz's walk to the ring.

"Was it your strategy to take as much punishment as possible and then maybe he would just fall down?"

"those punches couldn't take the power away from a mouse" on Byrd vs Ibeabuchi.

'Hatton couldn't hit Mayweather with darts, let alone fists.'

"Fernando Vargas has a six pack in his body... he doesn't have a six pack in his chin." after Vargas was TKO'd by DLH.

"HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN, IF ANY OF THEM ARE STILL AWAKE"... Opening commentary for Pacquaio-Morales 3.

"In boxing, the hare usually beats the tortoise" on Gatti/Mayweather

"If this is chess, it's violent chess!" on Whitaker v McGirt I
Al Hata
Great stuff man. I love Larry's comments throughout the fight cards, I am really going to miss him.

I got one, but I forgot what fight it was. He goes,

"Would the Titanic....want a rematch....with the iceberg?"

lol
thisneverworks
QUOTE (Al Hata @ Mar 31 2010, 03:00 PM) *
"Would the Titanic....want a rematch....with the iceberg?"

I think that was after the Winky Wright - Trinidad fight.

How about:

"Morales is an orchid that grew up in the ghetto, Pacquiao is an orchid that came from a rice paddy."

How about this great moment:

enigma1969
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Mar 31 2010, 08:12 PM) *

How about:

"Morales is an orchid that grew up in the ghetto, Pacquiao is an orchid that came from a rice paddy."

LOL!

Classic!
grapevine241
larry is the best ever to do it
Spyder
My tribute to Larry Merchant is Steve Bunce hating on Larry's replacement...lol

KookedKrack
QUOTE (grapevine241 @ Mar 31 2010, 05:01 PM) *
larry is the best ever to do it

I wouldn't go that far but he is definitely the best on HBO. I think part of it is that he gets a few drinks in him and the other part is him being at that "I don't give a fuck" age so he just gives his honest opinion.
Keith
I seem to remember Larry saying....

"He looks like a fire-hydrant and fights like a lampost."

I cant remember during which fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Mar 31 2010, 03:12 PM) *

How about:

Anyone remember what fight that was?
D-MARV
Merchant has heart.
thisneverworks
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 31 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Anyone remember what fight that was?

According to the description, McCullough-Zaragosa.
grapevine241
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Mar 31 2010, 06:34 PM) *
I wouldn't go that far but he is definitely the best on HBO. I think part of it is that he gets a few drinks in him and the other part is him being at that "I don't give a fuck" age so he just gives his honest opinion.

maybe, but then name somebody better than larry --- i can't
King Eugene
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ Mar 31 2010, 03:35 PM) *
-"Castillo used his hands more when he was making his way from Cuba to Florida"

shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif
...and you wonder why there are no pools in Cuba laugh.gif

JonnyBlaze
I don't like Kellerman as a replacement myself..Larry had the most retarded comments sometime that I couldn't stop laughing at his one-liners..He also said it how he really felt,even to the fighters which is something that needs to be done more..Larry was the best for the post fight interviews since he would say and ask things that the fans would of wanted to say..

We all hated on Larry when he was around,don't lie,but now that he is MIA all the time we appreciate what he did..Does anyone know what he is doing??He is never on cards anymore..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.