Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Robin Williams calls Australians "English Rednecks"
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Hoodlum
How Williams could refer to Aussies as a bunch of Red-necks is just mean. Yes, the country was founded by England's jail birds but to use such a blanket term to refer to all of them isn't cool. I've traveled in the South and Northwest of the U.S and there are no Rednecks like the ones in those areas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8597292.stm
King Eugene
you haven't met a redneck til you've been to Cherryville, NC. Its the only place where I've seen a double wide trailer transformed into a ranch house by adding a brick foundation and a garage. laugh.gif I remember being at a stop light one day and seeing somebody ride by in a 90's Toyota Celica with a washing machine in the hatch back. laugh.gif
Hoodlum
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 1 2010, 01:24 AM) *
you haven't met a redneck til you've been to Cherryville, NC. Its the only place where I've seen a double wide trailer transformed into a ranch house by adding a brick foundation and a garage. laugh.gif I remember being at a stop light one day and seeing somebody ride by in a 90's Toyota Celica with a washing machine in the hatch back. laugh.gif

LOL! Wow! Cherryville, NC must be bad credit central.
Fitz
Dumb. What an over reaction by Australian's. I actually laughed when I just watched it just moments ago. Robin Williams is a comedian, it is usually part of their shtick to be offensive. I actually laughed at his Australian accent. I think the comments were taken out of context, and I think the red neck comment has a lot to do with the way they speak as well, and how some of them act. He also made fun of there strange animals and quantity of animals that are deadly.
American's get joked about all the time, people joke about the Brit's. People shouldn't get so uptight about everything. Australian's always consider themselves as a kind that are very laid back, they make jokes that offend others, they like to say that they are not to serious and just take the piss out of people. They should be able to take it back as well.
Like I said, he is a comedian and it's his job to be funny and offensive. He was doing what most comedians do. Of course if it was a guest that is a very straight person, and was to say something like that. It could be different, but I think it was just a joke.
Spyder
Seriously, Rudd needs to gain a sense of humor. I thought that William's comments were spot on... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.