Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Benny Leonard vs. Roberto Duran
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Classic Boxing
JonnyBlaze
What do ya all think??

I think Benny would outbox Duran and not let Duran catch him..Duran was a great boxer but Arcel himself even said Benny would win this..Benny and Tommy Loughran in my opinion are the 2 boxers who had the best balance in boxing..Benny said he'd go to amateur fights just to see if a fighter would do something on accident or purpose that he could add to his fight game..Anyway,I'd pick Benny by decision..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
The problem I always have with mythical match-ups like this the footage on Leonard is (certainly in my experience) rather limited whereas Duran's reel is a lot more warts and all.

Then you have to kinda fall back on stats. I dunno. Maybe you've seen a lot more better close-up footage of Leonard than I have.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 2 2010, 03:46 PM) *
What do ya all think??

I think Benny would outbox Duran and not let Duran catch him..Duran was a great boxer but Arcel himself even said Benny would win this..Benny and Tommy Loughran in my opinion are the 2 boxers who had the best balance in boxing..Benny said he'd go to amateur fights just to see if a fighter would do something on accident or purpose that he could add to his fight game..Anyway,I'd pick Benny by decision..

i 100% agree with you benny leonard was a silky smooth slick fighter that in his prime was virtually untouchable.... great fighter...
STEVENSKI
It depends what type of fight is fought. If it a trench fight I certainly favour Duran but if Leonard kept it at a distance & used his superb lateral movement & jab it would favour Leonard especially after Duran started getting frustrated. This is a genuine 50/50 but I would give the slight edge to Leonard due to his legendary boxing brain.
kidbazooka1
I've said this before and i'll say it again no one beats a prime Duran at Lightweight.
PR316
Haven't seen much of Benny Leonard honestly. Will have to look at him more.

But I'm with kidbazooka in that when Duran was on and at his best, I would take him over any lightweight in the history of the game, and most WELTERWEIGHTS..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (PR316 @ Apr 5 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Haven't seen much of Benny Leonard honestly. Will have to look at him more.

But I'm with kidbazooka in that when Duran was on and at his best, I would take him over any lightweight in the history of the game, and most WELTERWEIGHTS..

That's why ya gotta check out Benny Leonard..Everyone knows and remembers Duran since there is a lot of film on him and he fought guys who were also great..Benny Leonard's era isn't much remembered since it is soooo long ago..Benny also had a lot of power due to his balance and natural power..Incase none of ya know,his record was 91 wins(71 KOs)-5 losses-1 draw..That's his offical record,not newspaper record(I don't trust too much)..He was KOd a couple times but that was in the very beginning of his career minus maybe 1..

I love em both but I gotta go with Arcel's opinion and say Leonard would beat Duran..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.