Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Manny & Cotto??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
Try as I must with the Detroit connection but I got issues with Manny. LOL at Perc's interview with Toney where he called him a "flat nose",lol. But while I think Manny is great, I think he gets WAY too much credit. Outside of the ORIGINAL KRONK (not a boxing gym that most THINK it was. It was a rec center)fighters like Hearns, Hilmer Kenty, Jimmy Paul, Milton & Steve McCrory. Manny hasn't BUILT a successful ELITE fighter from the ground up.

He's come in on guys who were already finished projects. I will give him credit with Klichko because they do have a good relationship and he spends a lot of time with him. Additionally he's a contradicting hypocrite with his commentary at times. Especially towards fighters he does not like personally. He's questioned Bernad Hopkins ("he's not a great middleweight in my eyes. He's good or I can say great for the era he fought in but he's not GREAT") and Floyd Mayweather's status.

That said, actions speak louder than words so we see him breaking from his usual TALLER suspects in working with Cotto. As much as I've grown to be critical of Manny, Cotto to me seems like the "IDEAL" student. I think Cotto has flaws, can be too methodical at times and has had two bad breaks. But I don't think he's "MENTALLY" shot like a lot of people do.

This could be the injection that Cotto needs but there is one minor problem. Yuri Foreman poses ZERO threat to me to Cotto but to me if fighters are going to hook up with new trainers. It has to be more than the 6 week period of work. They need to get philosophically in tuned with each other and that trumps ANY work they do. Manny does seem to want to do that. Whether it works (see he and Taylor he and Vivian Harris) is another subject entirely.

That said, I hope this works for them both and Cotto's stay at '54 is just that a 'stay' because the GOLD is at '47..
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ Apr 2 2010, 06:09 PM) *
Try as I must with the Detroit connection but I got issues with Manny. LOL at Perc's interview with Toney where he called him a "flat nose",lol. But while I think Manny is great, I think he gets WAY too much credit. Outside of the ORIGINAL KRONK (not a boxing gym that most THINK it was. It was a rec center)fighters like Hearns, Hilmer Kenty, Jimmy Paul, Milton & Steve McCrory. Manny hasn't BUILT a successful ELITE fighter from the ground up.

He's come in on guys who were already finished projects. I will give him credit with Klichko because they do have a good relationship and he spends a lot of time with him. Additionally he's a contradicting hypocrite with his commentary at times. Especially towards fighters he does not like personally. He's questioned Bernad Hopkins ("he's not a great middleweight in my eyes. He's good or I can say great for the era he fought in but he's not GREAT") and Floyd Mayweather's status.

That said, actions speak louder than words so we see him breaking from his usual TALLER suspects in working with Cotto. As much as I've grown to be critical of Manny, Cotto to me seems like the "IDEAL" student. I think Cotto has flaws, can be too methodical at times and has had two bad breaks. But I don't think he's "MENTALLY" shot like a lot of people do.

This could be the injection that Cotto needs but there is one minor problem. Yuri Foreman poses ZERO threat to me to Cotto but to me if fighters are going to hook up with new trainers. It has to be more than the 6 week period of work. They need to get philosophically in tuned with each other and that trumps ANY work they do. Manny does seem to want to do that. Whether it works (see he and Taylor he and Vivian Harris) is another subject entirely.

That said, I hope this works for them both and Cotto's stay at '54 is just that a 'stay' because the GOLD is at '47..

Me neither. Cotto has the mental fortitude of a champion. Unfortunatley he tends to gas if the fight goes more than 9 rounds. He can still pull off a victory after those rounds but against guys with insane stamina like Margarito and Pacquiao it costs him. I disagree about Foreman not being a threat, the guy is a strong 154 fighter, slick and has good timing.

Steward is what he is; a good trainer who had a legen in Tommy Hearns and some good fighters in between. He trained Chavez at one point as well as Holyfield but he never built a fighter from scratch again. My criticism is not of him as a trainer but as a commentator. The guy has regressed a lot since his firts telecast around 10 years ago.
salvador
bh
mexi-cutioner
Cotto will bounce back, he's got a couple years left in him and he should win his 3rd world title in June..
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (MarzB @ Apr 2 2010, 06:09 PM) *
Yuri Foreman poses ZERO threat to me to Cotto

Yuri Foreman=the Rodney Dangerfield of boxing.

Really, "ZERO threat"? While it is true that Yuri looks like Ricky Martin's future wife, the dude can box and there is a big fat question mark on Cotto's forehead. I think he is coming back too soon, if he should be coming back at all. He has been beaten badly in his last three fights, and he fought a punching bag in the second of the three.

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 3 2010, 05:10 AM) *
Cotto will bounce back, he's got a couple years left in him and he should win his 3rd world title in June..

If (and it is a huge IF) he can get by George Michael's bedroom pinup, he will still end up fighting handpicked foregone conclusions to build him up for another beating at the hands of a topflight boxer.

Margarito is Cotto's exorcist. He should never be allowed back in the ring, but if he is Cotto must return to the scene of the crime and make things right. IF he can accomplish that, Cotto will rise like a phoenix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.