Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones Hopkins PPV Numbers
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
alaganza
Does anyone have any information on the PPV buys for this fight?

I know they were having a hard time selling it. Just curious to see how it turned out.
Keith

JD
Would not be out till the end of the week...that said, I am not sure you will see them.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Keith @ Apr 6 2010, 01:36 PM) *

4... I ordered it. black eye.gif
KookedKrack
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif that is all i'll say about that.
Byrd Man
KookedKrack's signature is what GBP did to all the people who were foolish enough to order that PPV.
thehype
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 6 2010, 03:50 PM) *
KookedKrack's signature is what GBP did to all the people who were foolish enough to order that PPV.

LMAO. So true.

I LOVE that sig...I just love the way he really lays into that last slap. That last female got the worst of it. LOL.
King Eugene
They might break 100 cause it was damn near 60 at the theater I went to.
Byrd Man
from Rafael's piece today:
The pay-per-view, up against the Final Four and on Easter weekend, most likely tanked. Those I've talked to behind the scenes tell me it likely will do a little more than 100,000 buys. If that's the case, Jones won't make a dime because of the horrific deal structure he agreed to, one that gives the Hopkins side the first $3.5 million of revenue after expenses.

There may not be even a "first" $3.5 million, but at least Hopkins got a guarantee from Golden Boy of $750,000, which is the figure that was on his Nevada bout contract.

Jones' bout contract listed no purse because of the deal structure. It is maybe the single worst business deal I've ever seen a fighter make, other than when Hasim Rahman turned down something like $16 million and multiple guaranteed comeback fights from HBO for the Lennox Lewis rematch to instead sign with Don King -- and still wound up fighting a court-ordered rematch with Lewis for less money.
STEVENSKI
Damm I hate Jones & all but he got raped by that deal. I actually feel sorry for him.
D-MARV
With Roy's ego, I find it extemely hard to believe that Roy agreed to those terms.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 6 2010, 09:21 PM) *
They might break 100 cause it was damn near 60 at the theater I went to.

How do they count the theater buys? I'm assuming individual patrons don't pay the full PPV price, so if they don't, how do they count that? Does each person count or do they just count it as one big purchase?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 6 2010, 07:38 PM) *
You never knew a really hot chick in high school, and later on in life has gone down hill and now sucking cock?

Yep... Got head from one last night!

I get your point though.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 6 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Damm I hate Jones & all but he got raped by that deal. I actually feel sorry for him.

Can't feel TOO sorry for him, considering he agreed to it and signed it. I feel bad about it, but hey...he took the deal.
Spyder
That's ok, I'm sure GBP will pick up his hospital bill for him. They seem like a decent bunch of chaps that would do something swell like that.
Method
After the way Jones raped Ruiz at the negotiating table, this is well deserved, Roy gets his ass beat AND gets raped at the negotiation table. "60/40 and I'll kick yo' ass" turns into "I'll get my ass whipped for nothing". Think of all the money Roy could have made vs Hopkins back in the day if he wasn't a greedy pig.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 7 2010, 12:19 AM) *

shok.gif

For someone who has said they wouldn't mind seeing Jones in a paraplegic state, I am genuinely shocked by this.

Is the hate starting to wear thin?
alaganza
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 6 2010, 07:22 PM) *
With Roy's ego, I find it extemely hard to believe that Roy agreed to those terms.

Not really. Maybe he banked on the names being enough to sell the fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 7 2010, 01:21 AM) *
After the way Jones rape Ruiz at the negotiating table, this is well deserved, Roy gets his ass beat AND gets raped at the negotiation table. "60/40 and I'll kick yo' ass" turns into "I'll get my ass whipped for nothing". Think of all the mine Roy could have made vs Hopkins back in the day if he wasn't a greedy pig.

I would hardly call it getting his ass whipped. I would say it is more he lost a fight that he was never going to win especially when the refereee was in his opponents pocket & allowed Hopkins to foul at will. 60/40 at the time was more than fair when you consider Hopkins was never & never will be any kind of draw & he had already lost to Roy.

QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 7 2010, 01:23 AM) *
shok.gif

For someone who has said they wouldn't mind seeing Jones in a paraplegic state, I am genuinely shocked by this.

Is the hate starting to wear thin?

Not at all. Just redirected. Roy is done. I have seen him lose multiple times. His time is over. Time to focus that hate like a laser beam on someone else like Mayweather.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 6 2010, 06:27 PM) *
How do they count the theater buys? I'm assuming individual patrons don't pay the full PPV price, so if they don't, how do they count that? Does each person count or do they just count it as one big purchase?

I believe they count each purchase as a buy. I'm not 100% sure though. What really kills the numbers is when a bar purchase it and they charge 200 plus people $10 a piece to watch it. Now if GBP really wanted to crack down on something they should stop those bar purchases.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 6 2010, 08:50 PM) *
I would hardly call it getting his ass whipped. I would say it is more he lost a fight that he was never going to win especially when the refereee was in his opponents pocket & allowed Hopkins to foul at will. 60/40 at the time was more than fair when you consider Hopkins was never & never will be any kind of draw & he had already lost to Roy.

Not at all. Just redirected. Roy is done. I have seen him lose multiple times. His time is over. Time to focus that hate like a laser beam on someone else like Mayweather.

Well put Steve!

Roy hardley got his ass whooped in that fight. Anthony Hanshaw inflicted more damage on Roy.
STEVENSKI
King please change the title of your sig from Grimace to James Toney.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 7 2010, 01:55 AM) *
I believe they count each purchase as a buy. I'm not 100% sure though. What really kills the numbers is when a bar purchase it and they charge 200 plus people $10 a piece to watch it. Now if GBP really wanted to crack down on something they should stop those bar purchases.

I don't know about in the US but in OZ I think it is $2K to show a fight in the pub. I discussed it with a bar manager one night & asked why they only got teh big fights & he said that they needed to sell a lot of booze to cover the cost of the fight.
Method
Roy hardley got his ass whooped in that fight. Anthony Hanshaw inflicted more damage on Roy.

Ahhhahahahahaha.

You'd be hard pressed to find any DEFINITIVE rounds to give Roy last Sat night.

Roy got whupped AND made NO money. Oh how the arrogant have fallen.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 6 2010, 09:13 PM) *
Ahhhahahahahaha.

You'd be hard pressed to find any DEFINITIVE rounds to give Roy last Sat night.

Roy got whupped AND made NO money. Oh how the arrogant have fallen.

I'm not gonna argue how many rounds Roy won because he obviously lost most of them... But "Ass-Whipping" is not that term I would use to describe this fight.

This was a very tactical fight that only proved that Hopkins has more left in the tank than Roy. The highlights of the fight were when Hopkins weeped on the canvas like a little child.
D-MARV
double post
Method
Actually, the highlights of the fight was that big combo Roy took at the end of the 2nd that had him back in the corner, and the onslaught that left Roy on the canvas after the first rabbit punch in the 6th.

Personally, for me, the highlight of the night was watching Roy's Millie-Vannilie a$$ son get STEAMrolled by security trying to storm Hopkins' corner. He got plowed out of the arena w Roy's baby momma draggin on security's heels. That shit was priceless.

The best part about it all? Roy ain't making a fucking cent off that little retirement party.

Fuck Roy. Fitting end for an arrogant fucking prick.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 6 2010, 09:25 PM) *
Actually, the highlights of the fight was that big combo Roy took at the end of the 2nd that had him back in the corner, and the onslaught that left Roy on the canvas after the first rabbit punch in the 6th.

Personally, for me, the highlight of the night was watching Roy's Millie-Vannilie a$$ son get STEAMrolled by security trying to storm Hopkins' corner. He got plowed out of the arena w Roy's baby momma draggin on security's heels. That shit was priceless.

The best part about it all? Roy ain't making a fucking cent off that little retirement party.

Fuck Roy. Fitting end for an arrogant fucking prick.

LMAO... That's one thing we can agree on. I was watching it on T.V and thinking to myself that it would be funny if Roy's son ran over to Hop and BHop knock his ass the fuck out! LOL

I still don't buy this purse split. I'm sure Roy didn't make much for this fight but NOBODY (Especially Roy) would sign a contract like that.
Method
Marv, I have read that and heard that from a NUMBER of sources (the purse arrangement) for weeks leading up to the fight. To be honest, this is not news. This was put out there when the fight was made. That was the one caveat, since Jones lost to Green and lost some leverage. I also know Dan Rafael mentioned it in a few Friday chats.

Have I seen the actual contracts? NO.

Did I see the actual contracts for Jones Ruiz?

NO. But I know Roy got 100% of the guaranteed purse (I believe it was $10M), and something like an 80/20 split of the purse in his favor. It was something THAT ridiculous. After which, Roy disappeared, didnt promote shit, and when all was said and done, dumbass Ruiz tried to sue cuz he made dick! No wonder poor Johnny was walking around in pimp costumes, etc.

God I'd do anything for a pic of Ruiz in that pimp outfit.
Byrd Man
I dunno about a pimp costume, but this is pretty fucking funny.

ROLL DEEP
Dang.

His body hair looks like a helicopter shot of a forest. Looks like loads of little tress.

I bet they taste like gravy and cold sandwich meat that's been out in the sun.
lloyd mayflower
I bet Valuev smells like rancid margarine
salvador
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 7 2010, 08:58 AM) *
I bet Valuev smells like rancid margarine

There are a number of fighters who I wouldn't want to fight just out of perceived hygiene/profound sweating issues and Valuev is one. I wonder how many fighters are crafty enough to avoid bathing for weeks before a fight and if that would be any kind of advantage.
Method

Method

Yeah, I know this may sound cold or harsh, but I’ll say it anyway; it will actually make me chuckle a bit if Roy Jones doesn’t end up making a dime for his fight against Bernard Hopkins. The bottom line is simple; he’s made a lot of money in this game and really hasn’t give much back (certainly not the way a Thomas Hearns- another fighter who is facing some major financial difficulties- did), but here’s a guy who never really cared what the public thought and, only when he had to, cooperated with the media. Although that may have not been the best idea in retrospect:

(And now that I think about it, he also shoved Derrick “Second Hand” Smoke down our throats, incessantly)

But seriously, based on that “fight” with Bernard Hopkins, Jones is probably getting what he deserved. As for Square Ring, well, it couldn’t happen to a better company. - Steve Kim

The pay-per-view, up against the Final Four and on Easter weekend, most likely tanked. Those I've talked to behind the scenes tell me it likely will do a little more than 100,000 buys. If that's the case, Jones won't make a dime because of the horrific deal structure he agreed to, one that gives the Hopkins side the first $3.5 million of revenue after expenses.

There may not be even a "first" $3.5 million, but at least Hopkins got a guarantee from Golden Boy of $750,000, which is the figure that was on his Nevada bout contract.

Jones' bout contract listed no purse because of the deal structure. It is maybe the single worst business deal I've ever seen a fighter make, other than when Hasim Rahman turned down something like $16 million and multiple guaranteed comeback fights from HBO for the Lennox Lewis rematch to instead sign with Don King -- and still wound up fighting a court-ordered rematch with Lewis for less money.
- Dan Rafael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.