Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Povetkin demands Wlad take drug test for fight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Byrd Man

Povetkin's Team Want Klitschko To Pass WADA Drug Tests
By Andrey Krikunov

The negotiations between IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and official IBF title contender Alexander Povetkin are going to be interesting because the manager of the Russian boxer, Wladimir Hryunov, has already made a statement about both fighters having to go through doping tests before the bout.

“The meeting between the managing director of the promotional company Sauerland Event Chris Meyer and the adviser of the Klitschko brothers Shelly Finkel was scheduled for the last week. But the negotiations didn’t take place”, - told Hryunov to Gazeta.Ru.

“The reasons of disagreement in the organization of the bout for the most part lies in the technical side of things. The thing is, Povetkin signed a declaration, which binds him to pass doping tests according to the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) rules. We insist that team Klitschko also keep to the terms of this declaration. And for the moment this is the main question”.

Earlier Klitschko’s manager Berndt Boente has declared that Wladimir is ready to meet Povetkin “after the summer break”, but overall was rather skeptical. “I think that Sauerland don’t want Povetkin to fight Klitschko now," - he said to Sportbox.ru. – “Apparently they understand that their boxer doesn’t stand a chance in this bout and are looking for a way to gain more time and give him an opportunity to prepare better”.
lloyd mayflower
Why???
d843
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 6 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Povetkin's Team Want Klitschko To Pass WADA Drug Tests
By Andrey Krikunov

The negotiations between IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and official IBF title contender Alexander Povetkin are going to be interesting because the manager of the Russian boxer, Wladimir Hryunov, has already made a statement about both fighters having to go through doping tests before the bout.

“The meeting between the managing director of the promotional company Sauerland Event Chris Meyer and the adviser of the Klitschko brothers Shelly Finkel was scheduled for the last week. But the negotiations didn’t take place”, - told Hryunov to Gazeta.Ru.

“The reasons of disagreement in the organization of the bout for the most part lies in the technical side of things. The thing is, Povetkin signed a declaration, which binds him to pass doping tests according to the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) rules. We insist that team Klitschko also keep to the terms of this declaration. And for the moment this is the main question”.

Earlier Klitschko’s manager Berndt Boente has declared that Wladimir is ready to meet Povetkin “after the summer break”, but overall was rather skeptical. “I think that Sauerland don’t want Povetkin to fight Klitschko now," - he said to Sportbox.ru. – “Apparently they understand that their boxer doesn’t stand a chance in this bout and are looking for a way to gain more time and give him an opportunity to prepare better”.
SOUNDS LIKE SOME BULL SHIT to me!
Byrd Man
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 6 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Why???

QUOTE (d843 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:29 PM) *
SOUNDS LIKE SOME BULL SHIT to me!

Why is that? To play Devil's Advocate here, why is it okay for Floyd to ask Manny for a blood test, and it's "For the good of the sport", but when Povetkin asks Wlad for it, it's somehow bullshit and he's scared and it's outrageous?

Just asking.

I mean, if you look at it a certain way, Wlad is pretty much Ivan Drago personified (although not as ripped). lol

I don't think Wlad is on anything (and don't think Manny is either) but I wonder if anyone will assume Wlad is on something if he doesn't take the test.

I mean it's for the good of the sport, you know?
lloyd mayflower
I suppose its fair enough if Povetkin believes Wlad is on somethin or just wants to clean up the sport, I just never considered it as a possibility. His head just seems so, well, normal!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I see this might become a trend in this sport. I guess I don't have any real problems with it. It's not like they're taking gallons of blood a day before the test. If you don't take a fight because you don't want to take a blood test, then you have to question that fighter to a certain degree. I mean, what would you have to hide? It also gives Povetkin a mental advantage going into the fight. I'm sure that's the true reason he wants this. He wants to get into Wlad's head, and gain any advantage he can. We'll see how it plays out, but I'm sure they'll come to some sort of compromise. Even if they don't, I'm sure it won't kill Wlad to drop one of the belts. Nobody will screm if they can't see Wlad-Povetkin.
Lil-lightsout
Floyd Mayweather definitely started a trend. I see more and more of this starting to happen, and eventually better testing probably will happen. I am all for it too, if they catch cheats, then I consider it a good thing. It is no secret the many sports athletes that take PED's, so why not try and eliminate the cheats if there are honest clean guys competing? It should be a level playing field. Or they can just make it legal and let everyone take them.
tymoney
I see nothing wrong with it. I dont believe Wlad or Pac is on anything honestly.. but theres no reason why a clean man should turn down a blood test.. just doesnt add up.
Byrd Man
I think there are reasons to turn down the test. I mean this isn't like Wlad or Manny's EMPLOYERS are demanding a drug test. This is like a co-worker or something saying "I think you're dirty, prove you're not"

I'd be like fuck you too. If my Boss comes to me and says piss in a cup, that's fine. If some douchebag that has a vested interest in fucking with me, then I might not be inclined to do what he says. In fact I might be inclined to do the very opposite of whatever he says, just as a way of saying "fuck you"

Just saying, I can understand someone not going for it, especially in Manny's case.

In Wlad's case, he doesn't have a history with Povetkin of Povetkin making accusations and whatnot. I think this could very well be a situation of him expecting Wlad to say no, because he KNOWS he is not ready for Wlad. Even Atlas said he's not ready and wants at least one more fight before getting in the ring with Wlad.

So I think Wlad would probably be more inclined to agree to it, just because Povetkin doesn't seem to be coming from an accusatory stance, more of a trying to delay the inevitable stance.
AussieLad
How long has Povetkin been the mandatory without trying to enforce it? And he has never seemed like he really wants the fight... so he saw floyd get out of fighting manny using testing as an excuse and asks himself "why not me too".
Byrd Man
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Apr 7 2010, 03:44 AM) *
How long has Povetkin been the mandatory without trying to enforce it? And he has never seemed like he really wants the fight... so he saw floyd get out of fighting manny using testing as an excuse and asks himself "why not me too".

I have wondered why Povetkin's been allowed to hold on to the Mandatory position considering he's had AT LEAST two fights I believe since he was granted the mandatory, and that also includes time off due to an injury.

Are Mandatory's un-revokable or something, as long as you say you wanna fight eventually?
D-MARV
That's Great News!!!!

I'm glad we are taking baby steps to clean up this sport. If Wladimir refuses to take this test then that will be real Shady!
lloyd mayflower
Maybe (almost certainly) im being over optimistic here, but I hope Povetkin is delaying getting in with Wlad cos he wants to be ready and not go out like all these other no-effort grab the money bums, rather than hes just scared
JD
Wlad should tell Povetkin to kindly go fuck himself.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 08:42 AM) *

He could do that too.

Imagine how much heat he would catch if he told everyone that he was afraid of needles... LOL
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 07:42 AM) *

Why not just take the test if he's clean?

It's amazing to think that in a sport as dangerous as boxing that these tests aren't standard.
MarzB
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 07:51 AM) *

It's amazing to think that in a sport as dangerous as boxing that these tests aren't standard.

Exactly. Especially in this case since Povetkin I'm sure is willing to go through the same test. People kill me with their dumb psuedo stances. You got to be a real asshole (Byrdman perhaps?) to want to see a sport such as boxing NOT go this direction across the board. I can see taking a stance against something blocking ones civil liberties and such.

But wow to scoff or actually make a lame argument by saying, "well it's not required so it shouldn't be done" is really reaching. Why not say "you know what we are behind the OTHER organized sports. Sure lets go ahead".
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 08:51 AM) *

I think if a standard is in place...great...I would be real happy to see that. The sport needs it.

But this "on a fight by fight basis" does more harm than good. Until a uniform policy is in place, Wlad should tell Povetkin that he is in no position to make demands, because quite frankly, he isn't.

There will be more than a handful of posters who are going to kill Wlad...but they are really just using this as a veiled effort to further some sort of silly anti-Pacquiao agenda because they either don't like Pacquiao, or they are smitten with Floyd. I think an over-hauled testing policy encompassing the entire sport would be fantastic, but fighters trying to demand this in random fights and use it as some sort of negotiating ploy is a bad thing.

Then, there will be others who genuinely want to see a reformed drug testing policy...I am just of the opinion that the vehicle for change is not going to come from assorted fighters demanding it as part of a contract negotiation. To be clear, I am for it - just not in the manner we are seeing it pushed.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 09:04 AM) *
But this "on a fight by fight basis" does more harm than good. Until a uniform policy is in place, Wlad should tell Povetkin that he is in no position to make demands, because quite frankly, he isn't.

To me that's like saying that Funeka wasn't in a position to turn down the Guzman fight when he learned that Guzman was 9 pounds overweight. Obviously Funeka needed the money and didn't want to disappoint HBO so he took the fight. That sure as hell doesn't mean it was fair or right.

Povetkin should be able to get into the ring with the hw champ feeling as confident a possible that he was on a level playing field.

JD
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 10:19 AM) *
To me that's like saying that Funeka wasn't in a position to turn down the Guzman fight when he learned that Guzman was 9 pounds overweight. Obviously Funeka needed the money and didn't want to disappoint HBO so he took the fight. That sure as hell doesn't mean it was fair or right.

Povetkin should be able to get into the ring with the hw champ feeling as confident a possible that he was on a level playing field.

Not really...because Guzman was overweight. If Wlad passes the drug tests with the current set of standards in place...then metaphorically speaking, he wasn't overweight.

Again...I would love to see the drug testing system overhauled, it just needs to be implemented across the board and done so by all of the state and international athletic commissions. When you have fighters demanding it as part of a negotiation, and then third party testing potentially occurring, you are opening up the possibility for a lot more bad than good.
Spyder
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 08:42 AM) *

I had the same reaction to this.

Wlad has the damn belt, what does Povetkin have? Exactly, Wlad can fight anybody he wants for his title, and Povetkin will be left with his dick in his hand.
torvix2000
Tell that to GBP since they forgot blood testing for Hopkins vs Jones. Maybe the undercards for the Mayweather vs Mosley, too.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Not really...because Guzman was overweight. If Wlad passes the drug tests with the current set of standards in place...then metaphorically speaking, he wasn't overweight.

Again...I would love to see the drug testing system overhauled, it just needs to be implemented across the board and done so by all of the state and international athletic commissions. When you have fighters demanding it as part of a negotiation, and then third party testing potentially occurring, you are opening up the possibility for a lot more bad than good.

My point with Funeka was that he's just a fighter who needs money and Guzman was the GBP fighter with the HBO ties and if Funeka wanted to get in the ring with him he had to come in at a disadvantage or take the chance of never having the opportunity again. Why should Wlad be able to tell Povetkin to fuck himself just because Wlad has the belt? - particularly if Povetkin thinks Wlad might be using.

I seriously don't see this as a negotiating point unless Wlad (or any other fighter) is using roids. If he's not, then he should be thrilled (as a sports PHD or whatever joke of a degree he has) to be a part of boxing's solution to this problem.

I would actually think that all clean fighters would WANT these tests and would want to clean up the sport for the fighters themselves.

I just don't see how this could possibly be used as a negotiating point with a clean fighter so I don't see how the door would be opened up for more bad than good.
torvix2000
Hmmm.... Let's see. What will happen if NSAC required olympic style drug testing to every boxer? Please, enlighten us.
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 10:33 AM) *
My point with Funeka was that he's just a fighter who needs money and Guzman was the GBP fighter with the HBO ties and if Funeka wanted to get in the ring with him he had to come in at a disadvantage or take the chance of never having the opportunity again. Why should Wlad be able to tell Povetkin to fuck himself just because Wlad has the belt? - particularly if Povetkin thinks Wlad might be using.

I seriously don't see this as a negotiating point unless Wlad (or any other fighter) is using roids. If he's not, then he should be thrilled (as a sports PHD or whatever joke of a degree he has) to be a part of boxing's solution to this problem.

I would actually think that all clean fighters would WANT these tests and would want to clean up the sport for the fighters themselves.

I just don't see how this could possibly be used as a negotiating point with a clean fighter so I don't see how the door would be opened up for more bad than good.

But Guzman was overweight...Wlad has passed every drug test, and assuming he did going into the fight...the parallel doesn't really work in this scenario.

I am not sure how you cannot see this as a negotiating ploy...it is something a fighter can throw out there, and then bend on to get something else they want. Or, it is something they can toss out there to create delay in making a fight, or worse, not make a fight. The more moving parts that exist in negotiation, the more difficult things become - so, take it out of the negotiation equation and create something more formal.

The problem with fighters demanding it here and there is that suddenly you end with different sets of rules for different fights...that is not good. Before long, the media will start referring to fights as "no drug test fights" and "drug test fights", and for a sport that is already marginalized, it doesn't need more problems...the types of problems this sort of push will create. Further, when you start introducing third parties into things, suddenly Fighter B does not pass a test but claims their sample was tainted because they only approved Testing Companies A, B and C...NOT D, who someone in Fighter A's camp is close to. Now the fighter passes the state testing, fails the third party testing, and you end up with an even larger cluster fuck.

If you have uniform testing that applies to all fights and is implemented on a state athletic commission level...or on an international organization athletic commission level, you do not have these potential pitfalls. All fights are treated the same, and all testing is done the same by the same group where the fights will occur.

I would like to see an improvement, I would just like it to be implemented properly.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 09:44 AM) *
But Guzman was overweight...Wlad has passed every drug test, and assuming he did going into the fight...the parallel doesn't really work in this scenario.

I am not sure how you cannot see this as a negotiating ploy...it is something a fighter can throw out there, and then bend on to get something else they want. Or, it is something they can toss out there to create delay in making a fight, or worse, not make a fight. The more moving parts that exist in negotiation, the more difficult things become - so, take it out of the negotiation equation and create something more formal.

The problem with fighters demanding it here and there is that suddenly you end with different sets of rules for different fights...that is not good. Before long, the media will start referring to fights as "no drug test fights" and "drug test fights", and for a sport that is already marginalized, it doesn't need more problems...the types of problems this sort of push will create. Further, when you start introducing third parties into things, suddenly Fighter B does not pass a test but claims their sample was tainted because they only approved Testing Companies A, B and C...NOT D, who someone in Fighter A's camp is close to. Now the fighter passes the state testing, fails the third party testing, and you end up with an even larger cluster fuck.

If you have uniform testing that applies to all fights and is implemented on a state athletic commission level...or on an international organization athletic commission level, you do not have these potential pitfalls. All fights are treated the same, and all testing is done the same by the same group where the fights will occur.

I would like to see an improvement, I would just like it to be implemented properly.

Wlad passed the urine test - big deal if there's drugs that can be taken that can only be found in blood. If I was a hw and I thought Wlad was using steroids, I'd demand the most rigorous test possible because my life would be at stake. I don't know where the third parties come in. Why not just make it all olympic style testing and in big fights use 2 or 3 labs to make sure?

I don't think Povetkin or anyone else would have the balls to demand more money if they couldn't get a blood test clause, which would obviously be a negotiating ploy.

A negotiating ploy is being Floyd and demanding a 22 ft ring because you know the opponent would be at a disadvantage and you're willing to give up some money for that advantage - knowing all the while that the opponent is going to take it because they need the money.
torvix2000
LOL!

This is what will happen. After this blood testing is implemented then some fighters will claim that the frequency of the random tests is not enough. Those fighters who are afraid of the opponent or who want some tuneup fights first. They will use the not too frequent random tests as an excuse.
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 10:51 AM) *
Wlad passed the urine test - big deal if there's drugs that can be taken that can only be found in blood. If I was a hw and I thought Wlad was using steroids, I'd demand the most rigorous test possible because my life would be at stake. I don't know where the third parties come in. Why not just make it all olympic style testing and in big fights use 2 or 3 labs to make sure?

I don't think Povetkin or anyone else would have the balls to demand more money if they couldn't get a blood test clause, which would obviously be a negotiating ploy.

A negotiating ploy is being Floyd and demanding a 22 ft ring because you know the opponent would be at a disadvantage and you're willing to give up some money for that advantage - knowing all the while that the opponent is going to take it because they need the money.

But he passed...see? Your problem is with the system, and it needs to be changed at the commission level, not the fight by fight level. We have seen it screw up a fight during the negotiation process...I mean, how can it not be seen as part of the negotiation, even if it is not used as a ploy for more money? One fighter is demanding that the other do something that they otherwise wouldn't have to...in this fight, it can be viewed as an opportunity for Povetkin to keep his mandatory position but buy more time. In fact, I am willing to bet that on principle, it will screw up this fight, because Wlad is the champ and the draw - and he is not going to allow Povetkin to dictate to him; and I can understand that. Like I said, the more moving parts that exist in negotiation, the more difficult things become - so, take it out of the negotiation equation and create something more formal.

While the idea of multiple labs works to me and you...we have watched this sport long enough to know that there will be problems solely because you are dealing with third parties, I mean...can you imagine the abomination if suddenly you have different labs coming back with different results? Standard rules for all fights is the way to go.

Plus...as mentioned...you know this will create a media nightmare for a sport that just doesn't need it. Standard testing overhaul...let it be done at the commission level...that is all I am saying.
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 09:59 AM) *
LOL!

This is what will happen. After this blood testing is implemented then some fighters will claim that the frequency of the random tests is not enough. Those fighters who are afraid of the opponent or who want some tuneup fights first. They will use the not too frequent random tests as an excuse.

Boxers already have enough excuses to avoid fights. This is just a matter of being caught up to every other professional sport. And given that people die in the ring, it's hard to understand how anyone could possibly be against it.
Spyder
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:59 AM) *
LOL!

That's a good point.

I can't wait for the day that fighters will be hooked up to an IV for the duration of training camp. Their blood electronically monitored for the slightest change in composition...all of that will undoubtedly make sure that the sport is clean.

...that is, until the asians figure out some kind of mod version of the blood testing device that also allows it to play burned playstation games.
torvix2000
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 04:02 PM) *
Boxers already have enough excuses to avoid fights. This is just a matter of being caught up to every other professional sport. And given that people die in the ring, it's hard to understand how anyone could possibly be against it.

Yeah. But kindly enlighten us as to how NSAC will proceed. Maybe NSAC is protecting boxing by not rushing things. Perhaps there will be a lot of complications which I bet there would be a gazillion of. If you want, you can create a thread about the complications of implementing these strict olympic style testing and then let's discuss things there.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 10:00 AM) *
But he passed...see? Your problem is with the system, and it needs to be changed at the commission level, not the fight by fight level. We have seen it screw up a fight during the negotiation process...I mean, how can it not be seen as part of the negotiation, even if it is not used as a ploy for more money? One fighter is demanding that the other do something that they otherwise wouldn't have to...in this fight, it can be viewed as an opportunity for Povetkin to keep his mandatory position but buy more time. In fact, I am willing to bet that on principle, it will screw up this fight, because Wlad is the champ and the draw - and he is not going to allow Povetkin to dictate to him; and I can understand that. Like I said, the more moving parts that exist in negotiation, the more difficult things become - so, take it out of the negotiation equation and create something more formal.

While the idea of multiple labs works to me and you...we have watched this sport long enough to know that there will be problems solely because you are dealing with third parties.

Plus...as mentioned...you know this will create a media nightmare for a sport that just doesn't need it. Standard testing overhaul...let it be done by the commissions...that is all I am saying.

We're on the same page as far as changing the sport. It obviously needs to happen, but in the mean time it's possible that fighters are using steroids and it seems crazy for any fighter to be asked to get in the ring with someone who they feel might be using steroids.

In order for a blood test to be a negotiating tactic there has to be some kind of perceived value in it of the other fighter refuses - say $1MM if he refuses ect. If the only way to get the blood would be to stick a needle in a fighters eyeball, then I could see the fighter saying no. But the idea that demanding a blood test is some kind of mind game and the champ can't be expected to bend because he's the champ is absurd.

Acknowledging that the "champ and the draw" should automatically have the upper hand when it comes to ring safety doesn't make any sense. The draw should get the lion's share of the money and the ability to choose the location of the fight and the ability to choose the network ect., but he shouldn't have the right to come into the ring with a mental advantage over an opponent who is afraid he is using steroids.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 7 2010, 04:07 PM) *
That's a good point.

I can't wait for the day that fighters will be hooked up to an IV for the duration of training camp. Their blood electronically monitored for the slightest change in composition...all of that will undoubtedly make sure that the sport is clean.

...that is, until the asians figure out some kind of mod version of the blood testing device that also allows it to play burned playstation games.

LOL! Poor Asians. Well, pity those local/club promoters. Will they be exempt from the costs of the drug testing? I read that in South East, boxers earn only $100 a fight. 1 drug test > that amount.
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:09 AM) *
Yeah. But kindly enlighten us as to how NSAC will proceed. Maybe NSAC is protecting boxing by not rushing things. Perhaps there will be a lot of complications which I bet there would be a gazillion of. If you want, you can create a thread about the complications of implementing these strict olympic style testing and then let's discuss things there.

It's hard to imagine what the complications would be other than the cost of testing so many fighters on the periphery.
torvix2000
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 04:14 PM) *
It's hard to imagine what the complications would be other than the cost of testing so many fighters on the periphery.

That's where your hindsight fails you.
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 11:11 AM) *
We're on the same page as far as changing the sport. It obviously needs to happen, but in the mean time it's possible that fighters are using steroids and it seems crazy for any fighter to be asked to get in the ring with someone who they feel might be using steroids.

In order for a blood test to be a negotiating tactic there has to be some kind of perceived value in it of the other fighter refuses - say $1MM if he refuses ect. If the only way to get the blood would be to stick a needle in a fighters eyeball, then I could see the fighter saying no. But the idea that demanding a blood test is some kind of mind game and the champ can't be expected to bend because he's the champ is absurd.

Acknowledging that the "champ and the draw" should automatically have the upper hand when it comes to ring safety doesn't make any sense. The draw should get the lion's share of the money and the ability to choose the location of the fight and the ability to choose the network ect., but he shouldn't have the right to come into the ring with a mental advantage over an opponent who is afraid he is using steroids.

If the random testing demand comes up while they are hammering out the details of the deal, it is part of the negotiation. I mean, even if it's value is simply in making your opponent do something they might not have had to...or gaining a one-up, it is a negotiation. I absolutely think fighters would use is as a pure mind game tactic...or a stalling tactic...or an avoidance tactic. I just want it to be removed from the contract discussion phase entirely because until it is, it is going to be used (or viewed) as a negotiation tactic.

Wlad has every right to tell Povetkin that he is not going to adhere to his demands...and Povetkin has every right to not fight him. The problem is that the basis for this is Fighter B's demands...not a standard set of rules. I think we are probably being redundant, but the principle of all fights being treated the same, and all tests being done the same by the same group where the fights will occur is imperative here....that is all I am looking for.

We both want the same for the sport...I think we just may see the best way for it to be implemented a bit differently. All good.
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:15 AM) *
That's where your hindsight fails you.

Help me understand where the problems would be outside of the expense of paying for fighters in the 4 round/semi-club category.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 10:17 AM) *
We both want the same for the sport...I think we just may see the best way for it to be implemented a bit differently. All good.

word.
torvix2000
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 04:26 PM) *
Help me understand where the problems would be outside of the expense of paying for fighters in the 4 round/semi-club category.

So, perhaps NSAC never thought of the simplicity of these things?
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:34 AM) *
So, perhaps NSAC never thought of the simplicity of these things?

I honestly don't understand your last 3 posts.
torvix2000
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 7 2010, 04:57 PM) *
I honestly don't understand your last 3 posts.

You said that it's easy to implement olympic style blood testing to boxing. If it's really easy, then why won't NSAC do it immediately?
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:10 AM) *
You said that it's easy to implement olympic style blood testing to boxing. If it's really easy, then why won't NSAC do it immediately?

I don't think I said it would be easy on a sport-wide basis, just that it needed to be done for the safety of the boxers. And in the meantime, boxers at the highest level (where money isn't an issue) should have no problem taking the blood tests.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:10 AM) *

I'd bet because about 50% of fighters would FAIL!

I do get it though.....Povetkin is a very small HW.....it's asking a WHOLE lot of him to beat Wlad just on size, strengh and height alone.....I don't blame him for wanting to be certain that this huge fucker does not have even more advantages than those that are so apparent.

It would be different if Povetkin was saying....I want him tested....but don't test me....

But that's not the case....he too is willing to be tested....so you know he is clean.

And that BS argument Manny's team gave about being con cerned with the taken blood making him weaker come fight night....ALL BULLSHIT!

I'm not saying Manny is doping...but that is a total BS excuse for not taking the tests.....hell I'd have rather heard he has a fear of needles...than that excuse.

I have Hemocromatosis....and I have a F'N lifetime of experiance with needles and blood.....it's not as if Manny was going to give a whole pint for the test....it's literally a vial of blood....come fight night....that small amount would not weaken him in any way.

To me...it's really easy....if you are 150% CLEAN....taking a test should be a non issue.

And if Wlad or Manny are both saying "fuck you" just because they don't like being asked to take it.....as Byrdman brought up (which is a valid argument)....I still think as a fighter...if you were clean the ultimate way of saying "fuck you"...would be to take the test....come up clean...and then take it out on that guy in the ring......prove to him and everybody watching that youu did not need shit to mop the floor with his ass!

torvix2000
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Apr 7 2010, 05:26 PM) *
I'd bet because about 50% of fighters would FAIL!

But that would be good for boxing wouldn't it?
BGv2.0
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:40 AM) *
But that would be good for boxing wouldn't it?

I suppose that depends on who you ask. This whole issue is divided among sports fans of ANY sport.

For me personally....yes it would be good....because I myself like the idea of level playing fields in relation to any sport. I know the argument is to allow them all to use and then it's level....but for me as a sports fan....I don't want to watch guys that are pumped up with chemical ability.

If I wanted to see that I'd watch pro wrestling.

d843
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 7 2010, 12:12 AM) *
Floyd Mayweather definitely started a trend. I see more and more of this starting to happen, and eventually better testing probably will happen. I am all for it too, if they catch cheats, then I consider it a good thing. It is no secret the many sports athletes that take PED's, so why not try and eliminate the cheats if there are honest clean guys competing? It should be a level playing field. Or they can just make it legal and let everyone take them.
Somethings telling me that teddy atlas is behind this.It's all good,I think wlad will agree to the test
Byrd Man
QUOTE (MarzB @ Apr 7 2010, 05:57 AM) *
Exactly. Especially in this case since Povetkin I'm sure is willing to go through the same test. People kill me with their dumb psuedo stances. You got to be a real asshole (Byrdman perhaps?) to want to see a sport such as boxing NOT go this direction across the board. I can see taking a stance against something blocking ones civil liberties and such.

But wow to scoff or actually make a lame argument by saying, "well it's not required so it shouldn't be done" is really reaching. Why not say "you know what we are behind the OTHER organized sports. Sure lets go ahead".

You obviously don't pay attention, so I'm not going to bother addressing you on this subject anymore.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 07:04 AM) *
I think if a standard is in place...great...I would be real happy to see that. The sport needs it.

There will be more than a handful of posters who are going to kill Wlad...but they are really just using this as a veiled effort to further some sort of silly anti-Pacquiao agenda because they either don't like Pacquiao, or they are smitten with Floyd. I think an over-hauled testing policy encompassing the entire sport would be fantastic, but fighters trying to demand this in random fights and use it as some sort of negotiating ploy is a bad thing.

Then, there will be others who genuinely want to see a reformed drug testing policy...I am just of the opinion that the vehicle for change is not going to come from assorted fighters demanding it as part of a contract negotiation. To be clear, I am for it - just not in the manner we are seeing it pushed.

Perfectly said.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:13 AM) *
LOL! Poor Asians. Well, pity those local/club promoters. Will they be exempt from the costs of the drug testing? I read that in South East, boxers earn only $100 a fight. 1 drug test > that amount.

Then maybe they could set something up where NSAC or WADA or whoever pays for the tests, but if one of the fighters fails the test, they cover the costs for both fighters tests.

If both fighters fail, then they split the costs.

Sounds fair I suppose.
d843
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 7 2010, 07:42 AM) *
Naw,fuck that,I think wlad should call his fuckn bluff!agree to the test,Then watch pov come out & say he has another injury.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.