Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WBC demands Alexander give up his belt for calling out Bradley????
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Rafael has a helluva good post up today about the wretched WBC. I hope they try this shit and Alexander sues the living fuck outta them and they are finally down for the count.

Recently, Sulaiman sent a letter via e-mail to unified junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander. Copied on the letter, which I got a copy of, were WBC executive Mauricio Sulaiman (Jose's son and chief excuse maker), Don King (Alexander's promoter), and Dana Jamison (King's top lieutenant).

Was it a letter congratulating Alexander on his outstanding knockout win against Juan Urango to unify titles March 6? No.

Was it a letter complimenting Alexander for being a role model, a credit to boxing and one of the most humble, respectful young men you will ever meet? Nope.

Instead it was a letter threatening Alexander's status as WBC 140-pound titleholder. Alexander's transgression? He had the audacity to say that he would like to face WBO titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr., whom many regard as the best junior welterweight in the world not named Devon Alexander.

In his letter, Sulaiman wrote, "I read today in the papers that you want to fight Timothy Bradley for the WBO championship. I appreciate the information and I kindly ask you to immediately present the resignation to the WBC championship, as it seems that our organization is not up to your stature as a boxer. The WBC green and gold belt has been the dream of many boxers in the world, but apparently it is not yours. I will be waiting for your resignation and may you have good luck in your fight."

Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's manager and underrated trainer, was about as stunned as I was when he read the garbage from Sulaiman.

"Devon is calling out Bradley because Bradley and Devon are considered the two best junior welterweights in the world and because that's the fight fans want to see to determine who is the best junior welterweight in the world," said Cunningham, who was disgusted by the letter and said Alexander has no intention of giving up his title.

If the WBC wants the belt back, it will have to strip Alexander and then prepare for a lawsuit. I actually hope the WBC goes for it and strips Alexander, because he would win his lawsuit and hopefully put the miserable organization out of business once and for all.

The Sulaimans did not respond to a request through their publicist for a comment.
Mean Mister Mustard
Byrdman I just want you to know that I never get tired of you posting articles that attack the alphabet organizations. The WBC never seems to lose momentum when it comes to painting itself as a dumb orhanization.When God was passing out stupidity these guys came back for seconds and triples.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 7 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Byrdman I just want you to know that I never get tired of you posting articles that attack the alphabet organizations. The WBC never seems to lose momentum when it comes to painting itself as a dumb orhanization.When God was passing out stupidity these guys came back for seconds and triples.

lol
Mean Mister Mustard
Just as I write that I mispell "organization". I only got one serving of dumb though.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 7 2010, 04:04 PM) *
Rafael has a helluva good post up today about the wretched WBC. I hope they try this shit and Alexander sues the living fuck outta them and they are finally down for the count.

I used to think the Ring Magazine solved this crap with the sanctioning bodies but after De La Hoya bought it that went down the toilet.
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 7 2010, 06:18 PM) *

Mean Mister Mustard is the Larry Merchant of Fighthype posters. thumbsup_anim.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Apr 8 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Mean Mister Mustard is the Larry Merchant of Fighthype posters. thumbsup_anim.gif

What, he's always drunk?
Byrd Man
saw this over at 411mania

For whatever it's worth, I'd also like to remind readers that Alexander is promoted by Don King. That's the same Don King who played a role in proposed bouts like V. Klitschko/Valuev, Johnson/Cloud, and Cunningham/Godrey falling apart. I have no idea if Don King collaborated with the WBC to threaten Devon Alexander, but 411mania will keep you up to date on all the latest details in this bizarre, frustrating situation.
Jack 1000
Yea,

Very bad move by the WBC here. This falls right in line with their 4th and 8th round Open Scoring bullshit.

Jack
Byrd Man
THE WBC RESPONDS TO RAFAEL! lol

From the office of WBC President Jose Sulaiman: WBC President Jose Sulaiman said today, I have never disrespected, nor will I ever disrespect, any writer in the world. In answer to a very negative and slanderous article about the WBC and the super lightweight champion of the world, Devon Alexander, we have included two letters here that are self-explanatory..

April 8, 2010

Mr. Devon Alexander
WBC Superlightweight Champion

My dear champion:

The beautiful letter you sent to me has touched my heart and has confirmed our feelings towards you from your WBC family.

We will never forget your presence in Chengdu, China, where the WBC held the first major boxing event in that historic country, where you fought and showed the world your unbelievable boxing ability.

The WBC stood firmly by you when nobody gave you credits as WBC mandatory challenger and ordered you to fight for the WBC vacant title when Timothy Bradley decided not to fight against yourself as mandatory challenger.

You have been closely associated with the WBC since the year 2006, when you become a WBC Youth world champion and then become WBC Continental Americas champion to then conquer glory and win the WBC world championship against former champion Junior Witter.

I am deeply sorry for the bad intentions that Mr. Dan Rafael has in writing such negative reports. We in the WBC only care for the feelings and actions of our proud WBC green and gold champion.

I have disregarded the so many humiliations received by the WBC and some of our members and only care for this beautiful letter written by yourself, which was sent to me by your manager Kevin Cunningham, who has worked for you with unbelievable dedication and exemplary care for you as a human being and as a champion.

My dear champion, I know that at your young age you have formidable future and the World Boxing Council will be in your corner forever.

Your friend always,

Jose Sulaiman Ch.
President

March 31, 2010

Dear President:

Ever since I first boxed at the age of seven, my dream has been to become a champion. Today, the World Boxing Council has helped me make that dream a reality. I am incredibly grateful for the distinct privilege to represent the WBC as a Champion and to have support that I feel has been provided both by you and the wider WBC family.

The legacy of the WBC champions who have come before me is immense and historic. As the WBC Superlightweight Champion, I strive to uphold the tradition of this legacy in my conduct both inside and outside the ring.

When I read your letter, I was saddened that words in the press had caused you to doubt my commitment to the WBC. I could not be more certain of that commitment, and I apologize for the unintended conclusions drawn from my quotations.

Mr. Sulaiman, I could not be more proud to serve the WBC as Superlightweight Champion. It is a profound honor of which every fighter dreams and so few achieve.

I also understand that an attorney sent you a letter supposedly on my behalf. Please know, Mr. Sulaiman, that this letter and its contents were wholly unauthorized by me. I am sorry that you had to read it.

I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I appreciate all you do for me in our quest together to uphold the legacy of the WBC Superlight Championship.

Sincerely yours,

Devon Alexander

WBC orders Solis vs Valuev

From the office of WBC President Jose Sulaiman:

Due to the unavailability of Ray Austin, as declared in testimony given under oath in a court of law, and based in an overwhelming majority vote of the WBC Board of Governors, the WBC is ordering a final elimination fight between the two highest available contenders in the heavyweight division, Odlanier Solis of from Cuba and Nicolay Valuev of Russia, to determine the mandatory challenger in the heavyweight division.

The free negotiation period begins today and if there is no agreement between the two parties, a purse offer will be held on Friday, April 30, 2010, at 12:00 noon at the WBC Executive Offices in Mexico City.
RyanTical
Atleast Alexander gets to keep his belt. He deserves it.

WBC or not, it's pretty shady business to ask someone to relinquish their belt for calling out someone who gave away the same strap. If anything, I would call that sweet revenger on behalf of Bradley and the WBC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.