Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bernard Hopkins Lashes out at Golden Boy Promotions
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JD
Hopkins seems to be a little pissed off with his colleagues at GBP and he wants it to be known that he is not under contract with them...in fact, he is willing to hear offers:

“These motherfuggers want me out,” Hopkins said Thursday afternoon. “They are trying to stop me from working. They all want me out of the way, it’s their agenda against me.

“I will fight the system like I always have. I will fight the system and I love it. They all want to push me out of the way, to throw me in the same (professional) grave that Roy Jones is in now. Are we playing some games here? You know how the game works and so do I.”

He goes on to say...

“Put it out there, Mike, I am looking for any and all legitimate offers. I have not been under contract to Golden Boy since before the Pavlik fight. Shane Mosley (fighting Floyd Mayweather on May 1 under the GBP banner) is not under contract to Golden Boy, either."

Not sure what to make of this...or what is going to come of it, but the link is below...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-Boxing-Exam...to-boxing-grave
KookedKrack
shok.gif The plot thickens......

I thought all of them each owned a piece of Golden boy or some shit?
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 8 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Hopkins seems to be a little pissed off with his colleagues at GBP and he wants it to be known that he is not under contract with them...in fact, he is willing to hear offers:

“These motherfuggers want me out,” Hopkins said Thursday afternoon. “They are trying to stop me from working. They all want me out of the way, it’s their agenda against me.

“I will fight the system like I always have. I will fight the system and I love it. They all want to push me out of the way, to throw me in the same (professional) grave that Roy Jones is in now. Are we playing some games here? You know how the game works and so do I.”

He goes on to say...

“Put it out there, Mike, I am looking for any and all legitimate offers. I have not been under contract to Golden Boy since before the Pavlik fight. Shane Mosley (fighting Floyd Mayweather on May 1 under the GBP banner) is not under contract to Golden Boy, either."

Not sure what to make of this...or what is going to come of it, but the link is below...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-Boxing-Exam...to-boxing-grave

This really is a week for GBP's true colours to get run up the flagpole. Not a good look for them either. They are shortly going to lose their reputation as the fighters promotional company (if not already) and become the same greedy 2 faced scum that Arum is
Method
A few guys already bolted, including MAB, among others (Wright bolted too, didnt he?)...
ROLL DEEP
Man, GBP is against the ropes this week.

Like KK, I thought him and Oscar had shares or something in it?
MarzB
I've been one of the most vocal critics about the PSEUDO Golden Boy alliance (first Barrera later replaced with Marquez, Hop and Mos) that it's all more about "SHOW" than what actually was. If I recall correctly the original structure (can't believe I remember this) was;

Barrera = developing a presence for Mexican boxers
Hopkins = Golden Boy East
Mosley = Amateur Development

Atleast Hopkins can say in his 6 years with GBP, he's done two shows because Shane and Barrera did absolutely nothing. But now to the present. I don't think it's GBPs fault about Hopkins or Mosley frankly.

They may not have had a loud voice or the voice they've EACH proclaimed they've had in the media (about being part owners) but the fact is THEY HAD a voice. As money hungry as GBP is, trust me if they each brought ANYTHING lucrative to the table, it would have been considered.

They unlike most people don't have to go through a series of MIDDLE MEN to speak with "THE MAN"(Schaefer or DLH whomever you want to believe who runs the show).

It's real hypocritical for Hopkins to come out in PUBLIC and say this when he's been the beneficiary of all the visible things Golden Boy does. If I were Schaefer and DLH, I'd say "adios" to him.
The CEO
Good....although I doubt this will ultimately change anything or free us of them.

Man...I wish I had Bill Gates money...I would buy GBP just to liquidate it....pay 100 million and step...let it die.
MarzB
Let me say this about GBP. I'm not sure how it came to be (whether it was Richard that approached Oscar or vice versa) but you have to give them credit in pretty much being the #1 or #2 (however you see it ) promotional company in the boxing business.

They're definitely above Don King Productions. It seems to me from the outside looking in (and this makes me think the company is more Richard's creation than Oscar's) that they leveraged Oscar's cozy relationship with HBO to serve as their platform. Shady but extremely smart. I think HBO has double the subscribers of Showtime right?

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions into that??
TRU
Bernard Hopkins is a moron...

Through his association with GBP, he has gotten paid thousands if dollars to just show up for a few minutes at sponsor parties.

Yet... he STILL finds something to bitch about.

Amazing.

This break-up couldn't happen to two bigger idiots.
Method
They ALL should have disassociated themselves the minute Goldie got caught in fishnets...which Richard Schaefer was rumored to have masterminded, by the way...
TRU
Without GBP...

Hopkins career dies years ago.

YEARS AGO.
D-MARV
Meth,
Has Hopkins ever thought about starting his own company?
Method
Has his own promotional license/co - Ex Promotions, which I'm fairly certain was started as soon as he broke from DK, its just that pretty much in/around the same time, he linked up w GBP. W/Out GBP, Hopkins likely would have stuck w Arum, or gone w someone else. There's always someone out there that would have signed him...always someone that would have given it a shot. Arum wanted him but lost him to GBP.
TRU
I for one...

Would LOVE to see Hopkins start his own promotional firm.

Just to see how hard it'd flop.
Method
Wont happen.

He as his own license, and yeah, technically has EX promotions registered, but given the magnitude of the major players, would unlikely ever get further than The Blue Horizon. Maybe on the level of a Russell Peltz? I have no idea. But GBP has deep pockets. Arum solid too.
MarzB
Meth even you got to admit this is not a smart move by Hopkins at all. I would think how he was somewhat blackballed in the late 90's after his split with Goosen and Butch Lewis that he'd learn to how to tread being with the top company.

But frankly 'Nard is just a hot head business wise. (not directed to you ) Please explain to me "HOW" he thinks RAILING in PUBLIC against a person(s) in a company he (supposedly) has a partnership in would make the individual he's railing against oblige to what he wants?? That's just flat out stupid thinking hence my "hot head" label.

So you're going from (supposedly) part owner/partner to, "hey if anybody wants me you can have me!!".

I got a suggestion for Bernard but I KNOW he doesn't have the balls to do it no matter what he portrays and thats this.

NARD, do what MOST people that ACTUALLY own businesses do. Start up your LLC, use YOUR OWN funds and put yourself out there. Then we will truly see how viable you feel you are out there. But he's NOT gonna do that. He wants/DEMANDS damn near someone ELSE put up the risk and thats where the hypocrisy in what he's preaching about lies..
TRU
Won't happen because Bernard has a very narrow lense...

All about himself.

He doesn't care about anything else... not even his biggest fan... Robert Deniro.
Keith
I read the article and I'm a little confused....

Who was Hopkins interested in fighting after Pavlik?

I wonder if this has something to do with him wanting a fight David Haye. Haye belongs to Golden Boy and he wants Oscar to make that fight for him.
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 8 2010, 02:09 PM) *
They ALL should have disassociated themselves the minute Goldie got caught in fishnets...which Richard Schaefer was rumored to have masterminded, by the way...

LMAO

laugh.gif
Method
Oscar don't make the fights. Schaefer does.
Keith
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 8 2010, 03:43 PM) *
Oscar don't make the fights. Schaefer does.

Alright, then he wants Schaefer to make that fight for him... and he knows Schaefer has no intention of doing that?
TRU
Bernard's financial demands are too high to suffice anyone to have the "Privilege" of promoting the guy.

He wants too much money and can't draw flies to shit.

PLUS... his performances are LAUGHABLE at this point.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 8 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Bernard's financial demands are too high to suffice anyone to have the "Privilege" of promoting the guy.

He wants too much money and can't draw flies to shit.

PLUS... his performances are LAUGHABLE at this point.

Actually his LAST performance was laughable. His previous fights weren't bad, or at least HE wasn't.
TRU
I was at Calzaghe-Hopkins (as was Method) and Wright-Hopkins... both performances were laughable and miserable.

A waste of time, money, and... everything in between.

Like I said... LAUGHABLE.
Method
The fight with Jones did nothing to enhance Hopkins' monetary demands, although I dont believe it's a proxy for where Bernard is, skill-wise (anywhere as much as I thought the Wright fight was (as many others did).

I agree w Tru that his options for the money he wants at this point are thin, if not extinct (less he lands Haye, or HBO comes correct for Dawson). That said, I will also agree that Schaefer's comments after the fight don't help matters much. Maybe they realize they run Hopkins' at a lo$$ (at least for fights like Jones, Orneleas) and are trying to nudge him out the door?
TRU
HBO has absolutely NO REASON whatsoever to offer anything for Hopkins-Dawson.

It's a horrible fight on paper.

Hopkins would demand unrealistic money.

The live gate would absolutely tank in either of the guys hometowns let along Vegas.

Hopkins comes to kill fights, not make fights.

Like I said... without GBP, Hopkins is nothing and would be fighting on non-descript PPV's in the middle of nowhere bleeding money.
Big Slim Sweet
By all accounts everyone involved took a bath with this last fight, so maybe this is their way (Oscar and Schaefer's) of trying to cut ties with Hop, at least as far as promoting his fights.
Method
Nobody took more of a bath on the last fight than Jones...and I laugh about it.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 8 2010, 04:11 PM) *

What was earned by Hopkins and Jones?
TRU
Kizer is giving me the live gate figures early next week.

The PPV numbers are unknown and will probably stay that way.

I know Hopkins was supposedly guaranteed 750k from Golden garbage.

Method
Yeah, Tru, Hopkins was guaranteed a MIN of $750k, and the first $3.5M in rev (after costs). Jones gets the next $3.5, and then the rest split 50/50.

Rafael corroborates the arrangement in a piece he did yesterday.

They think at best the fight does ~ 100-120 PPV buys, but I have NO idea what that's based on. Could be less. Could it be more? Doubtful. In any case, I guess Ex would get his money, or damn near close, and Roy don't get dick. Ahahahaha. Shit makes me laugh every time I think about it.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 8 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Oh I laugh about it too. What comes around goes around. That deal Roy served Ruiz with was disgusting. Roy deserves to have the shit come right back at him. (Of course it was Ruiz so I laugh about that as well, but still.)
Method
(Of course it was Ruiz so I laugh about that as well, but still.)

Ab so fucking lutely.
STEVENSKI
Their mission statement

Golden Boy Promotions strives to become the leading Boxing Promotional Company through integrity, honesty, hard work and determination. We want to offer promising young fighters a platform from which they can showcase their talents to a global audience and want to offer our viewers and fans high quality programming. Golden Boy Promotions is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining the best and brightest young fighters to help achieve our mission.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 9 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Their mission statement

Pffffft. Obviously they have no recollection of writing that.
LoneRyu
this guy needs to retire desperately
JD
Ticket sales were apparently so poor, they were giving them away upon check-in at the Mandalay Bay.

So I would assume that any of those tickets that were given away (or included) as part of check-in, could be considered "purchased".
Method
Maybe they were giving them away at check-in on Sat, but not Fri.
JD
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2010, 09:41 AM) *
Maybe they were giving them away at check-in on Sat, but not Fri.

Perhaps. Kim talked about it in his article on Monday...I will just paste the section...

PAPER HOUSE

Immediately after the end of the 12th round, there was a small chant of “REFUND! REFUND! REFUND!” started by a group of fans on the side of the arena that was sparsely attended (sparse as in, think about a New Jersey Nets game) that didn’t really last too long. Honestly, I don’t think their hearts were really into it and, besides, I think they just wanted to get the hell outta there as soon as they could.

But what popped into my mind was "These fools actually paid full price for these tickets?!" They may have been the only ones. The scuttlebutt throughout the industry was that, by the middle of last week, less than a 1,000 tickets were bought by the general public. The word on the weekend was that anyone who checked into the Mandalay Bay was being offered a pair of tickets to the fight (After what everyone witnessed on Saturday night, I think an extra mint on the pillow may have been a better deal).

The announced crowd was over 6,700 and the arena did fill in a bit by the time the main event started after the Final Four (which was a promise made by the promotion). But on the side of the arena where that chant started, you could’ve thrown hand-grenades into the stands and not had any casualties. Perhaps the only way you could’ve given away more tickets is to have attached vouchers for free iPads.

But what was really telling was that in walking around the Mandalay Bay on Friday night, it was probably the most tepid I had ever seen it since the Fernando Vargas-Shibata Flores fight, which was the first notable boxing event, post-9/11, in 2001. Honestly, it looked and felt like a Tuesday night, not the night before a supposedly big pay-per-view event. My question is this, outside of Golden Boy’s relationship with the MGM Mirage (which owns the MGM Grand and “The Bay”) was there any consideration of putting this fight in Atlantic City or somewhere on the East Coast, where both Hopkins and Jones live? Isn’t that where this promotion belonged, if anywhere?

Also, on fight night, I observed that not only were many notable writers absent, including Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports (who just happens to live in the city) but that this was the smallest looking press section I had ever seen for a pay-per-view in Las Vegas that didn’t have the words “Latin Fury” on it. In fact, I had notified the Golden Boy publicists just last week that I would be in town for this event (well, past the deadline set to send in your applications) and yet, I was still seated in Row B. To put that into perspective, usually I’m seated in row E or G.

But it turns out, I had a much better seat than that.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/wh...happened-at-all
Method
Yeah, I checked in Fri and I had a 2000sq ft suite, and no, I wasn't offered free tix w that. Who knows. I also didn't get back to the Mandalay lobby until 4:30 AM Sat morning, but I spoke to S Kim, and he did say the scene in the lobby was dead Fri night.

There was a TON more going on for Calzags/Snags.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 9 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Perhaps. Kim talked about it in his article on Monday...I will just paste the section...

PAPER HOUSE

Immediately after the end of the 12th round, there was a small chant of “REFUND! REFUND! REFUND!” started by a group of fans on the side of the arena that was sparsely attended (sparse as in, think about a New Jersey Nets game) that didn’t really last too long. Honestly, I don’t think their hearts were really into it and, besides, I think they just wanted to get the hell outta there as soon as they could.

But what popped into my mind was "These fools actually paid full price for these tickets?!" They may have been the only ones. The scuttlebutt throughout the industry was that, by the middle of last week, less than a 1,000 tickets were bought by the general public. The word on the weekend was that anyone who checked into the Mandalay Bay was being offered a pair of tickets to the fight (After what everyone witnessed on Saturday night, I think an extra mint on the pillow may have been a better deal).

The announced crowd was over 6,700 and the arena did fill in a bit by the time the main event started after the Final Four (which was a promise made by the promotion). But on the side of the arena where that chant started, you could’ve thrown hand-grenades into the stands and not had any casualties. Perhaps the only way you could’ve given away more tickets is to have attached vouchers for free iPads.

But what was really telling was that in walking around the Mandalay Bay on Friday night, it was probably the most tepid I had ever seen it since the Fernando Vargas-Shibata Flores fight, which was the first notable boxing event, post-9/11, in 2001. Honestly, it looked and felt like a Tuesday night, not the night before a supposedly big pay-per-view event. My question is this, outside of Golden Boy’s relationship with the MGM Mirage (which owns the MGM Grand and “The Bay”) was there any consideration of putting this fight in Atlantic City or somewhere on the East Coast, where both Hopkins and Jones live? Isn’t that where this promotion belonged, if anywhere?

Also, on fight night, I observed that not only were many notable writers absent, including Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports (who just happens to live in the city) but that this was the smallest looking press section I had ever seen for a pay-per-view in Las Vegas that didn’t have the words “Latin Fury” on it. In fact, I had notified the Golden Boy publicists just last week that I would be in town for this event (well, past the deadline set to send in your applications) and yet, I was still seated in Row B. To put that into perspective, usually I’m seated in row E or G.

But it turns out, I had a much better seat than that.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/wh...happened-at-all

Damn that is a HARSH review.
TRU
Calzaghe-Hopkins had more action in Sin City based on Joe's following...

Bernard has none, except for Robert Deniro.
Method
But on the side of the arena where that chant started, you could’ve thrown hand-grenades into the stands and not had any casualties.

There's no exaggeration there. One end of the arena was completely empty.
Byrd Man
Here's a good take on the whole "Golden Boy fucking over Bernard and Shane" saga...

Jason A. (Bronx, NYC): What are your thoughts about the way that Goldenboy Promotions has handled the careers of Hopkins and Mosley after hearing Hopkins' recent statements?

Vivek W. (ESB): This isn't a question that I can answer totally, based on the fact that none of us on the outside looking in know all the facts, and so far, we've only heard one side of the story. While I can agree with Hopkins that Schafer could have found a better way to make his statement about Hopkins' 'consideration' of retirement, as it relates the career management issue, things get a bit more unclear. Lets look at the facts and play devils advocate both ways here.....Both men, Shane and Bernard, sat for extended periods of time totaling a year or more while there were plenty of options out there for them. Flip side of that argument....for Hopkins, there was Dawson, Adamek, Green, and a few others that never saw deals materialize for various reasons, many which was reported that Hopkins personally had to do with.

With Shane, my point all along was that rather than WAITING on Floyd or Pacquiao to face him, it was more beneficial to start collecting the other welterweight straps - even for less money - making himself the undisputed unified champion, which in effect would have FORCED Floyd or Pacquiao to face him based on both name recognition and credentials. Shane sat for what will be a bit shy of 16 months. With only 3 other belts in the division, since he opted not to face Paul Williams who wanted a shot at him, he could have faced Berto (WBC) sooner, Zaveck (IBF) immediately afterward, and been clear right in time for Pacquiao's WBA strap after he defeated Clottey.

This blueprint would have gotten him a shot at both Pacquiao and Mayweather. I love both Hopkins and Mosley as fighters and don't dispute that GBP may have failed to exhaust all possibilities, but from the outside looking in, there seems to be room to share the load of this blame all the way around. Bottom line, if I'm a hungry fighter in the ring and I know my family is hungry outside of it, I'm fighting Tommy Chucker the neighborhood sucker if I have to, but I'm gonna keep those checks rolling in and keep doing what I have to do to remain in championship contention. I don't doubt the hunger of these two warriors, but no question the big paydays of the past allowed them to sit away and pick their spots knowing that their kids aren't (hungry). This double-edged sword made them more comfortable than perhaps they needed to be!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.