Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody else skeptical of Mayweather-Marquez doing 1 million PPV Buys?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
TRU
Yes, I understand that this was the official figure reported by Golden Boy Promotions.

Rumor has it that a different number was reported according to HBO's IRS filing, whatever the hell that is. Supposedly the number was closer to 450,000 which sounds alot more realistic of what Marquez-Mayweather did. I remember leading up to the fight thinking... this fight has a 24/7 countdown but it's going to fall far short of anything spectacular regarding the numbers.

Just was wondering if anyone else is skeptical of that "reported" figure especially when Floyd was so quick to agree to a 50/50 split with Manny.

I have a guy digging into this subject with some very credible sources.
JD
I would think that it is absolutely hilarious if the fight did 45% of what was advertised to the public.

What does Mayweather - Mosley do?
TRU
I'm just saying... if you had asked me prior to the numbers release what it did, I'd say 450,000 is about right.

Mosley-Mayweather, I'm guessing 800,000 buys.

I take all the factors into consideration, economy, both guys being B-side attractions in all big fights.
JD
You and I had this conversation the night before the fight I believe...I think the absence of PPV's was a big contributing factor to success. I don't remember what I guessed (I think 700k), but I do remember you and I talking about the insane marketing push this fight got.
Byrd Man
I think Mosely/May is going to do at least 1 million.
TRU
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 9 2010, 03:47 PM) *
You and I had this conversation the night before the fight I believe...I think the absence of PPV's was a big contributing factor to success. I don't remember what I guessed (I think 700k), but I do remember you and I talking about the insane marketing push this fight got.

Yeah apparently the fight got a huge push amongst the sponsors for the event.

Bigger sponsor related push than De la hoya-Mayweather.

I'm just saying... Mayweather-Marquez 450,000 sounds like a very proper number. Especially considering the after effects of his fights in which the most of the public doesn't feel like they got their monies worth.
thehype
I DEFINITELY thought those numbers were inflated. I mean, 1 million on the dot? Come on...really?

Personally, I just figured they were counting the movie theater buys as well.

laugh.gif
Jack 1000
I was expecting about 500,000 tops.

Jack
JD
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 9 2010, 05:05 PM) *
I DEFINITELY thought those numbers were inflated. I mean, 1 million on the dot? Come on...really?

laugh.gif

That is actually what I was going to say. 1 movie theatre ticket purchase is technically a PPV buy...is it not?
Big Slim Sweet
I thought the numbers definitely sounded inflated. And then Pac-Cotto doing 1.25 seemed like a lot too. It kind of reminded me of the way baseball players were suddenly hitting more home runs in the 90's. PPV on steroids.

Honestly I figured they were just counting buys in a different way than before somehow. But I supposed bold faced lying is just as likely.
KookedKrack
This is boxing guys if you aren't skeptical of EVERYTHING then you haven't been watching long enough.
D-MARV
LOL... wait until Marz reads this.
Method
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 9 2010, 05:56 PM) *
LOL... wait until Marz reads this.

Ahhhahahahahahaha.

I'm curious...how can they issue a press release, or go public with one figure, and then low-ball the IRS? It would seem to me that the IRS may want to "peel the onion" a bit on this issue. Any of you boys work for the IRS?

I'll add that I have ALWAYS been dubious of Mayweather's drawing power. His BIGGEST gates HE was the B-side benefitting from being matched up with guys that had followings (for whatever reason). DLH - Nuff said; Hatton - Brits are rabid fans; Gatti - at Boardwalk Hall, he was a God. TV loved him too.

Im not hating on Floyd if he REALLY does have drawing power, but now that this shit is coming out, it all makes sense to me. He's such a fucking cunt its laughable.
TRU
I'm just saying...

It's a rumor that's floating around that I'm having someone look into.

It could be true that he sold 1 million. I just find it a very convenient figure to cite.

TripleLeftHook
HBO isn't a private company like UFC therefore THEY CAN'T lie about their PPV numbers and it has to be published as public record. Second of all Movie Theatre tickets don't count as PPV either and even if they did they'd make very little difference (350ppl x 200 theatres= do the math). If they were gonna lie they would do it for Manny as well since thats their boy and they make a ton of money off of him....trust me if your skeptical now your gonna be REAL skeptical once Mayweather/Mosey goes over 2mill but too bad you'd be wrong
TRU
QUOTE (TripleLeftHook @ Apr 9 2010, 05:00 PM) *
HBO isn't a private company like UFC therefore THEY CAN'T lie about their PPV numbers and it has to be published as public record. Second of all Movie Theatre tickets don't count as PPV either and even if they did they'd make very little difference (350ppl x 200 theatres= do the math). If they were gonna lie they would do it for Manny as well since thats their boy and they make a ton of money off of him....trust me if your skeptical now your gonna be REAL skeptical once Mayweather/Mosey goes over 2mill but too bad you'd be wrong

I'm not hoping it's lower, I'm just saying that it sounds weird.

Just a little tired of being fed bullshit and we looking into finding the truth. If it's real... carry on.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 9 2010, 04:52 PM) *
I thought the numbers definitely sounded inflated. And then Pac-Cotto doing 1.25 seemed like a lot too. It kind of reminded me of the way baseball players were suddenly hitting more home runs in the 90's. PPV on steroids.

Honestly I figured they were just counting buys in a different way than before somehow. But I supposed bold faced lying is just as likely.

Maybe since all these PPV are so damn expensive now especially in HD they're counting every buy as 2.
D-MARV
QUOTE (TripleLeftHook @ Apr 9 2010, 06:00 PM) *

Welcome to Fighthype!

I was going to ask if HBO could "legally" lie about the figures. I don't buy into the rumors though... Floyd is the biggest PPV draw in boxing and I think he proves that on May 1st.
Method
HBO isn't a private company like UFC therefore THEY CAN'T lie about their PPV numbers and it has to be published as public record.

If they reported 450K to the IRS, guess what, Pinochio? They fucking lied to somebody.
TRU
I think the only thing that leads me to believe that 1 mill was true was the fact that I think it happened to be one of Twitter's top trending topics that weekend.

So it can INDEED be true, I'm just wondering...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 03:27 PM) *
I think the only thing that leads me to believe that 1 mill was true was the fact that I think it happened to be one of Twitter's top trending topics that weekend.

So it can INDEED be true, I'm just wondering...

that doesn't mean anything. That just means a shitload of people were on twitter repeating what they were told by the sources that released it.

So if May's people and GBP release and say "hey this fight did 1 million" then you have all the Floyd fans going at everyone else on twitter that doesn't care for him, throwing out the million dollar figure, and thus it'll get on the trending topics eventually.

TRU
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 9 2010, 05:29 PM) *
that doesn't mean anything. That just means a shitload of people were on twitter repeating what they were told by the sources that released it.

So if May's people and GBP release and say "hey this fight did 1 million" then you have all the Floyd fans going at everyone else on twitter that doesn't care for him, throwing out the million dollar figure, and thus it'll get on the trending topics eventually.

Nah... that ain't it.

I'm talking about Mayweather being a trending topic of discussion. That weekend.

Not the one million buy whatever announcement.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 03:31 PM) *
Nah... that ain't it.

I'm talking about Mayweather being a trending topic of discussion. That weekend.

Not the one million buy whatever announcement.

But how is Mayweather being a trending topic any indication of whether or not that million dollar number was right or not? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the correlation.

It just means a lot of people were talking up Mayweather. He would OBVIOUSLY be a TT the weekend of the fight, seeing as how he was just coming back from his quick sabbatical, but if it was the following weekend when the numbers were released, as I said it could be chalked up to interest in the numbers, because a lot of people were wondering how big the fight would be, seeing as how he'd use those #'s to negotiate with Pac.
TRU
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 9 2010, 05:35 PM) *
But how is Mayweather being a trending topic any indication of whether or not that million dollar number was right or not? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the correlation.

It just means a lot of people were talking up Mayweather. He would OBVIOUSLY be a TT the weekend of the fight, seeing as how he was just coming back from his quick sabbatical, but if it was the following weekend when the numbers were released, as I said it could be chalked up to interest in the numbers, because a lot of people were wondering how big the fight would be, seeing as how he'd use those #'s to negotiate with Pac.

Mayweather being a trending topic on twitter the weekend of the Marquez fight correlates because something needs to be pretty damn popular to show up in the list of top subjects tweeted about.

Just because a couple hundred boxing nuts tweet something doesn't make something a trending topic.

It needs to be bigger than that.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 04:08 PM) *
Mayweather being a trending topic on twitter the weekend of the Marquez fight correlates because something needs to be pretty damn popular to show up in the list of top subjects tweeted about.

Just because a couple hundred boxing nuts tweet something doesn't make something a trending topic.

It needs to be bigger than that.

I realize that, but you seem to be going under the assumption that all those people tweeting, making it a trending topic, bought the PPV. And maybe a bunch of them did, but how many DIDN'T and were just reacting to the news about Mayweather winning?

Hell, I tweeted about the Mayweather fight and I didn't buy it either.

I understand your logic though, I just don't know if we can go on that to say whether or not the numbers are right.
TRU
From what I recall, it was a trending topic LEADING UP TO the fight.

So Friday... Saturday day before the fight.

As for twitter being a measure of success...

Read this.

http://mashable.com/2010/04/02/twitter-the...ce-predictor-2/
Byrd Man
That well could be, I just think there's a world of difference between people tweeting an getting excited about a big movie coming out (@ 10 dollars or less a ticket) and buying a pay per view fight @ 40 to 50 bucks a pop.

You could be right on this though, I just don't know. Especially in this economy, people are probably more likely to spring for a movie they may or may not like (especially if they're taking their girl or guy) and dropping half a hundred on a fight that they may not enjoy.

I could be wrong though.
TRU
I'm just looking at both sides of the coin...

There are different factors pointing to both being potentially correct.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2010, 10:14 PM) *
If they reported 450K to the IRS, guess what, Pinochio? They fucking lied to somebody.

Guess, that somebody's gotta be us. Because if that somebody's the IRS, then they would be in deep shit.
PR316
I've always had some doubts about Floyd being as big a star as he likes to believe.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 9 2010, 04:05 PM) *

laugh.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking..By movie theater buys,I think that means all the people in the theater who paid,not just 1 buy for the each theater..
Rperez
I don't think they would risk the humiliation to lie.

Anyways they are making more money with half the buys they we can all make in our lifetime so let the business men do the business.
TripleLeftHook
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Your the one specualting they lied to the IRS its not like it was a fucking fact...the only FACT is HBO has a legal liability to release their actual PPV numbers and they also have a legal liability to tell the IRS the real PPV numbers and if they did the opposite of either thing you would know about it instead of hearing speculations from most likely retarded pactards or Floyd haters about how his HBO numbers were inflated. Floyd did a million PPVs in a fight you thought he was gonna do half that and you don't like it.

Admin Note: Post edited for name-calling.
TripleLeftHook
QUOTE (TripleLeftHook @ Apr 10 2010, 04:14 PM) *
who the fuck are you calling Pinochio you moron? Your the one specualting they lied to the IRS its not like it was a fucking fact...the only FACT is HBO has a legal liability to release their actual PPV numbers and they also have a legal liability to tell the IRS the real PPV numbers and if they did the opposite of either thing you would know about it instead of hearing speculations from most likely retarded pactards or Floyd haters about how his HBO numbers were inflated. Floyd did a million PPVs in a fight you thought he was gonna do half that and you don't like it boohoo get a fucking life n stop worrying about it

HBO is a public company with share holders and whatever money they make, PPVs they sell, TV ratings they recieve etc etc is instantly made public because it effects the stocks of their share holders. They can't lie and if they did it would be a serious offence as is any thing that messes with the stocks and people would be put in JAIL and trust me you'd fucking hear about it.

Admin Note: Post Edited For Name-Calling
Snoop
Not a good debut there bro.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TripleLeftHook @ Apr 10 2010, 01:14 PM) *
who the fuck are you calling Pinochio you moron?

Quote of the year!
KookedKrack
Being Fighthype's resident hippie I suggest we all sit down indian style roll a joint an relax brehs........everyone has been real edgy here lately lol
lloyd mayflower
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 10 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Being Fighthype's resident hippie I suggest we all sit down indian style roll a joint an relax brehs........everyone has been real edgy here lately lol

Fuck that and fuck you! Go roll around naked in the mud, flower boy! Get out of Saigon if you can't handle the heat and the STD's.
lloyd mayflower
Peace and love KK, I'd toke with you if it wasnt for geographical differences. Although I have thouroughly enjoyed the last few days of baiting people and watching them explode

(No homo)
Method
HBO is a public company with share holders and whatever money they make, PPVs they sell, TV ratings they recieve etc etc is instantly made public because it effects the stocks of their share holders..."

"...Floyd did a million PPVs in a fight you thought he was gonna do half that and you don't like it boohoo get a fucking life n stop worrying about it" - TripleLeftHook

Two things: First, get something straight - HBO is NOT a stand-alone public company, fuckstick. There are no "shareholders" of HBO. They fall under the Time-Warner umbrella. Time Warner is a publicly traded company (NYSE: TWX).

Second, I never projected the PPV buys for Floyd, nor do I care if he blows the roof off the record. Good for him. The ONLY thing I commented on was the author of the thread's comments that they reported the number of buys to the IRS was 450K, and they told the public it was 1M. I'm curious to know what the deal is (if any).
TripleLeftHook
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Two things: First, get something straight - HBO is NOT a stand-alone public company, fuckstick. There are no "shareholders" of HBO. They fall under the Time-Warner umbrella. Time Warner is a publicly traded company (NYSE: TWX).

Second, I never projected the PPV buys for Floyd, nor do I care if he blows the roof off the record. Good for him. The ONLY thing I commented on was the author of the thread's comments that they reported the number of buys to the IRS was 450K, and they told the public it was 1M. I'm curious to know what the deal is (if any).

Same shit, point is they have to present actual numbers to both the IRS and the public or else ppl are going to jail lol....trust me no ones going to jail so Floyd can have inflated PPV numbers
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (TripleLeftHook @ Apr 10 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Same shit, point is they have to present actual numbers to both the IRS and the public or else ppl are going to jail lol....trust me no ones going to jail so Floyd can have inflated PPV numbers

I'm with Method here. Why the fuck would people go to jail for telling the public they did more buys than they actually did? Do HBO feel like they owe Betty and Billy Bob from Omaha anything?

Now if they tried to lie to the IRS then that's a different story.........
STEVENSKI
Triple Left sounds familiar.............

Hi Marz?
LoneRyu
only conspiracy theorists that hate technical boxer/counter punchers... :/
King Eugene
Two things: First, get something straight - HBO is NOT a stand-alone public company, fuckstick.

rotflmao

how the fuck did I miss this conversation? laugh.gif
JD

The only other side of this is where the actual report for 1 million buys came from. Was it from GBP while HBO sat quietly?
TRU
I had a guy contact Taffet and the guy reiterated that the "Official" buy rate for the fight was 1,050,000.

Coming from an HBO exec, who knows about that number...
JD
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 21 2010, 10:24 AM) *
I had a guy contact Taffet and the guy reiterated that the "Official" buy rate for the fight was 1,050,000.

Coming from an HBO exec, who knows about that number...

So that answers that question.

Interesting....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.