Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins ETHERS Shane Mosley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
laugh.gif

Meth, you got me wanting to put "ether" on everything now. LOL.

But anyway, here's an oldie, but goodie that I just ran across.

Good ol' B-Hop chasing after those smaller guys...he oh so poetically smashes Shane in this though. LOL. Peep it:

Hopkins: "Mosley Needs To Speak For Himself!"

October 01, 2003: Undisputed middleweight champion, Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins: "I would like to say that Gary Shaw and myself have always had a cordial relationship. And that goes back to before he started working with Shane Mosley. We have spoken many times. I respected Gary Shaw when he was at Main Events and I respect Gary Shaw now. He hasn't done anything to me personally or business wise. As far as saving my money for doing a poll, I take that as they feel I'm wasting my time. I don't think anybody should worry about my money. Anybody who knows Bernard Hopkins knows that I didn't even start tipping until three or four years ago. I'm good with my money, and I've always been that way with my money. That's why Bernard Hopkins makes the decisions as to how I spend my money. I like his advice, thank you. And I think he's echoing what Judd Burstein is saying about Bernard Hopkins money. I think the fans are tired of hearing the bullshit. They're tired of hearing from the lawyers and the so-called people who don't take the punches. Judd Burstein never put on a pair of boxing gloves in his life. And Gary Shaw might have a had a pair in his hands, but I don't think he's ever had boxing gloves on. Everybody is speaking for Shane Mosley , and that is the problem with a majority of the fighters out there they let others speak for them. And that's why we can't get a union together. Guys like Mosley can't even speak up for themselves when being attacked."

"And that's unfortunate, because I think Shane Mosley is a slow learner. He must have forgot that no one, including the people in the business, even those who smile in his face today, thought he was done after the Vernon Forrest fight. Bernard Hopkins will not be nice to Shane Mosley to the point where I'm going to back off. And that's the vibe I was getting from Gary Shaw. If Shane can't defend his own back when it's fighter against fighter, not fighter against attorney, promoter, manager or attorney, but fighter against fighter. And that's a shame. He shouldn't need somebody to speak up for himself. The votes on Boxingtalk.com will be a powerful move, because it will let the world know that people want to see Bernard Hopkins fight Shane Mosley.

"I know if Shane Mosley had it his way, he wouldn't even think about fighting Bernard Hopkins for another two years. Unless he gets he pushed in and pressured by HBO. If HBO wants him to fight Bernard Hopkins or Winky Wright HBO could make that happen. HBO plays a major part in what fights they buy, what fights they push, and what fights they really don't give a damn about. HBO cares about Hopkins and Shane Mosley, and everybody would love to see that fight.

"I have the utmost respect for Gary Shaw, and that's not blowing smoke up anyone's ass, because that's not my style. But I will not be nice to Shane Mosley when I see Shane Mosley. My view is, he's being a coward. He claims that he's reached mountain's top. He's found destiny! He's grabbed the lion by its jaws and become great now. But Shane can't sell tickets. You think Shane could sell tickets? Do you think Shane could sell out an arena? I don't think he could sell out the Staples Center, do you?"

"Judd Burstein needs to understand that this is not the courtroom and he needs to understand what jackets to put on in what arena. The fans don't care about what Bernard's going to make compared to what Shane's going to make. The undisputed middleweight champ, challenged to fight Shane Mosley at his weight class and they're doing everything except saying, we're going to be in touch with DKP to make this happen. People could see past the bullshit. And with all due respect to Gary Shaw, he said Vernon's mouth is filthy. But Greg, what is clean in boxing? You don't have to curse in boxing to be considered filthy. You could steal though. You don't need to have a nasty cursing mouth to be filthy in boxing. Some of the filthiest people in boxing don't say nothing other than yes and no.

"I respect Gary Shaw and we do have a cordial relationship, but this is a competitive situation amongst athletes. And when an athlete gets his promoter, advisor, or even his lawyer for God's sake, to speak with venom of defense for him. That's a coward. And Shane Mosley, Jack Mosley and their publicist know what kind of man I am. I don't say things and then see him, shake his hand and say, ‘this is just business.' I will say what I tell you to their faces and we could deal with it then.

"That's one thing about me, they know me and they know that I am capable of backing up everything I said. And if they don't believe me, they could ask Felix Trinidad. I'll kick his ass at the Staples Center. I'll kick his ass anywhere in LA. I will not be merciful hoping that taking off the vice grips will maybe get me the chance to fight him. He is not the prince in this sport and he should be looking to fight me. Mosley is not the draw. Oscar De La Hoya is still the man, and that's why he's probably somewhere just basking in the sun with his beautiful wife. Oscar doesn't have to deal with this headache.

"Shane needs to understand that when you put yourself in the position of alleged greatness, you need to do great things. They know I could fight, and I want to, I could fight for another five years. I'm a throwback fighter, and as a matter fact, right now I'm wearing my Daryl Dawkins throwback.

"Just because we're calling Shane Mosley out doesn't mean that he's the man. It means that he's beatable. It means that we want championship fighters fighting championship opponents. It means that if he believes he's the man, then he needs to show it by fighting real fighters. Shane proved my point with his ridiculous response talking about how he just got to 154, and he wants to bask in the sun and get comfortable. Did you hear what this idiot said? We're jumping on him because he's not really a junior middleweight. But he is the champion isn't he? It sounds like he's trying to buy some time. Because even though we're challenging him, he's not thinking about anyone right now.

"Shane Mosley calls himself "Sugar" but he's sweet-n-low! To have that name, it comes with a price and it comes with credentials. And the Sugar that I know, there wasn't many people he didn't fight in that era that were the best. Shane Mosley continues to get his spin-doctors out there talking for him. But all he has to do is be a man and say, ‘I'm not trying to fight Winky Wright. Vernon Forrest beat me twice and he has my number. Bernard Hopkins is a shark. I love my wife and I love my kids and I want to be there for them.'

"He needs to be honest because people respect that. Fans respect it when you tell them the truth. And some fans might agree with him. But the best thing I could do is let the fans have control. And I love my fans to the point, where if they think I could win, it makes me train harder. And if some of them think I can't win, they're still my fans, I just have to prove them wrong. I love what I do and I love being called champ. I like fighting the best and making history, and definitely the money doesn't hurt.

"I don't know how long Shane Mosley will let other speak for him. But truthfully, Shane Mosley should fight one of the three fighters who are at his jugular out to prove to the world that he's shot. He never said they couldn't generate money for him. He never said that HBO didn't want the fight because he knows HBO would take all of those fights, he just doesn't want the fights and we know why, so the best thing for Shane Mosley to do is be honest and tell it like it is.
RyanTical
I guess the brain damage Hopkins recieved in his fight against Roy Jones will correct this malfunction. LOL.
Rivado
Welcome to the big FH!

Remember, protect yourself at all times!
RyanTical
QUOTE (Rivado @ Apr 10 2010, 12:30 AM) *
Welcome to the big FH!

Remember, protect yourself at all times!

Thank you, sir. Took me a while to find the time to register, but I did. Glad to be apart of the FH-family.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 10 2010, 08:48 AM) *
Thank you, sir. Took me a while to find the time to register, but I did. Glad to be apart of the FH-family.

Welcome Ryan. Pity you are on the dark side & like Mayweather but oh well. Enjoy this is a great site.
RyanTical
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 10 2010, 01:03 AM) *
Welcome Ryan. Pity you are on the dark side & like Mayweather but oh well. Enjoy this is a great site.

I'm one of the rare Mayweather fans that acknowledge the good and the bad when it comes to Mayweather. I just don't throw up hate i.e. Troll-style. I would consider myself a neutral-sider if we're taking the STAR WARS route. One has to understand both sides to become a true master(fan).
King Eugene
Good Ol' BNard was going in wasn't he? Now they butt buddies...

That would have been an interesting scrap while it lasted.
Method
Meth, you got me wanting to put "ether" on everything now. LOL.

Ahahahaha. Brother, that wasn't "my" title. I copied that title verbatim from some article. I don't speak in that dialect, per se. The only "ether" I know of is the song (and, of course, the substance), but I never use the fucking word as a verb. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just not that hip (don't tell anybody).

That said, Hype, you got me wanting to "ether" everything now too. Hahaha.

One of my favorite Hopkins "ethers" was when he ran into Fernando Vargas at an MMA event in Miami. Vargas wouldn't even look at him when Hopkins walked up to him to shake his hand. I mean, Vargas was LITERALLY looking at the ground the whole time as he extended his arm, etc. Later that week in camp I asked Hopkins about it and his face lit up in disbelief. He was like, "Did you see that? He was staring so hard at the ground he had ME looking down thinking I dropped something".
Big Slim Sweet
"That's one thing about me, they know me and they know that I am capable of backing up everything I said. And if they don't believe me, they could ask Felix Trinidad. I'll kick his ass at the Staples Center. I'll kick his ass anywhere in LA. I will not be merciful hoping that taking off the vice grips will maybe get me the chance to fight him. He is not the prince in this sport and he should be looking to fight me. Mosley is not the draw. Oscar De La Hoya is still the man, and that's why he's probably somewhere just basking in the sun with his beautiful wife. Oscar doesn't have to deal with this headache.

I remember this interview on Btalk. This was right after Shane got the 2nd win over Oscar and guys were coming out screaming his name. I remember Vernon doing an interview around this time where he said even Raul Marquez kicked Shane's ass. Winky was the other one hollering and he wound up getting the fight.

Thing is, if you read this part of the quote from Hopkins, it was always my impression then and it's only reinforced now that he was in fact doing exactly what he says he wouldn't do in taking off the vice grips to get the fight. Because at the end of the day, Hopkins was interested in fighting Shane, but the fight he really wanted was Oscar, and here he is kissing his ass. I'm in no way taking anything away from Hop for this, because he got the fight, the big payday, and the partnership with GBP. But I remember his interviews on Btalk back then and while he would sometimes try and shame Oscar into fighting him, he never thrashed him the way he would Trinidad and Mosley.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.