Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones Jr. - Tarver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG

Man I remember watching this 6 years ago like it was yesterday. Before the Tarver fights Jones was superman, rarely lost a round, Middleweight champ to Heavyweight champ. Then he moves down, Tarver gives him hell and KO's him in the rematch in witch most fans including me predicted Jones would win easier.
Method
Before the Tarver fights Jones was superman, rarely lost a round, Middleweight champ to Heavyweight champ

Personally, I was UNMOVED by his heavyweight title bid. I had him boxing CIRCLES around John Ruiz BEFORE their fight, because John Ruiz is a stick in the mud heavyweight, and posed zero threat to Jones.

I wont say Jones barely lost rounds. Hell, he seemed to give up a bunch to Clinton Woods, Eric Harding, A few to Honeyboy...he fought bullshit competition, and before you say "well so did so-and-so", the difference is Jones hand picked these guys, they were NOT mandatories, which is a fact that seems to have been LOST on the younger generation of Jones fans as time has gone by. Im not hating on Roy for it. Fuck, I guess I'd do it too. HBO has lived and sorta learned. Nobody has gotten that Roy Jones Contract/Treatment from HBO since.
STEVENSKI
I remember my drunken indian war dance around the club I was in witha mate. We were getting in peoples faces & laughing at them because Roy lost. I literally did a victory lap that day.

One thing I clearly remember was this guido cock sitting with his girl & he says "Roy is the best fighter ever" so I leaned over & slurred "watch the cunt get knocked out then". I did not expect it to happen but boy was I a happy man.
Mean Mister Mustard
I remember before Jones got dropped he threw that straight right hand and Tarver sort of dipped, which made me think he had been hurt by it, especially considering the way the fight had been going; Jones was very agressive and Tarver had not landed anything significant. Everything went by so fast after that. My mind could not process the fact that he had been dropped.

Now that Jones has gotten KO'd, hurt multiple times and outworked, the luster has worn off for some but back then it was unbelievable. As a result of this Tarver sprang up to the top 3 in the P4P lists and Buddy Mcgirt was considered a genius.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 10 2010, 04:21 PM) *
Buddy Mcgirt was considered a genius.

Yeah terrible things can happen from a great moment in time.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Damn, I was 15 years old when this fight happened. It was actually the day of my confirmation, and I wanted everybody out of the house from my party by 8. I was so hyped for this fight, since the first one made Roy look vulnerable. Even though it was a short fight, it was an awesome PPV to order. They went behind the scenes to Roy's dressing room after the KO. Truly, good times.
Big Slim Sweet
I remember about 20 seconds before the KO, Roy's back was to the ropes and Tarver threw a big left similar to this one that missed right after Roy threw an off-balance right similar to that one and I thought to myself 'That could have been interesting." And Manny Steward said something as well to the effect of Roy still not looking comfortable in there with Tarver.

I also remember between rounds Buddy McGirt told Tarver not to give Roy so much respect and Tarver ETHERED him.

I remember being SO FUCKING HAPPY when this knockout happened. I'm one of the few guys who always rooted for Tarver and I had stopped liking Jones years ago.
Box in Hand
You who were happy about this should be horse whipped, flogged, and kicked in the jolly wackers. For this is the day Superman died! This shit was similar to me watching Tyson get knocked out in Japan when I was a kid. I still can't watch those 2 fights.

He may have been a jerk sometimes but most super athletes are, even Jordan was a jackass but it was a pleasure to watch Jones fight.
Big Slim Sweet
Never said I didn't enjoy watching Roy Jones fight. I just got to looking forward to the day I'd see him get his ass whipped. And the thing is, I wasn't sure I'd ever get to see the day. So it was a real nice surprise for me.

And wash your mouth out regarding Michael Jordan, Box.
Maxy
I never saw the fight live, had to check the result in the morning when I got up. It wasn't on live over here see. Anyway, when I read Tarver KO's Jones I was almost as shocked as when Honeyghan beat Curry or Douglas beat Tyson. It was huge and I'll hold my hands up and admit I was stunned by it.

I always liked Jones, always followed Jones and if I'd been posting here in the early to mid 90's I would have been a nuthugger. Shamefully.

I just gave him a pass on his easy defenses. It did wear thin, I admit, but my main gripe with Roy was his complete refusal to fight abroad. I understood his reasons what with Seoul and all that but it did grow a bit tired after a time.

Still, I did like Roy and he was a great fighter. Maybe not as great as I lead myself to believe though a long time ago.
jvo1800
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2010, 09:10 AM) *
Personally, I was UNMOVED by his heavyweight title bid. I had him boxing CIRCLES around John Ruiz BEFORE their fight, because John Ruiz is a stick in the mud heavyweight, and posed zero threat to Jones.

I wont say Jones barely lost rounds. Hell, he seemed to give up a bunch to Clinton Woods, Eric Harding, A few to Honeyboy...he fought bullshit competition, and before you say "well so did so-and-so", the difference is Jones hand picked these guys, they were NOT mandatories, which is a fact that seems to have been LOST on the younger generation of Jones fans as time has gone by. Im not hating on Roy for it. Fuck, I guess I'd do it too. HBO has lived and sorta learned. Nobody has gotten that Roy Jones Contract/Treatment from HBO since.

Ok ima say to u just like i say to everybody else since u think Roy had bullshit competition. Name me more than 5-8 other great fighters on some of the great boxers resume. Name me some great fighters on the resume's of people like DLH, Trinidad, Hopkins, Mayweather, Lewis, Toney, Hearns, Leonard, Hagler. Now what do all of these greats have in common? Out of 40-50 plus fights for these guys u can only name anywhere from 5-8 indentifiable names on their resume, not much better than Roy Jones opposition. Roy fought plenty of good fighters its just he made alot of them look very average by the time they got to him. Roy was a victim of his era because there were'nt many household name fighters back in the early to mid 90's in his division so it seemed like he fought a bunch of nobodies
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 10 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Never said I didn't enjoy watching Roy Jones fight. I just got to looking forward to the day I'd see him get his ass whipped. And the thing is, I wasn't sure I'd ever get to see the day. So it was a real nice surprise for me.

And wash your mouth out regarding Michael Jordan, Box.

I love Jordan but truth be told he is no prince. There are tales of his arrogance and did you see his Hall of Fame speech? Reminded me of Floyd Mayweather with the arrogance.
Extant
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2010, 06:10 AM) *

Yeah, but he posed a threat to Holyfield, and Lewis while Jones scored a type of victory that hasn't been done in 106 years. If it were that easy, EVERYBODY would have been doing it from that time to the day Jones did it. Therefore we canNOT discredit Jones' victory. In fact, if you remember, most people had Jones picked to lose by KO.

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2010, 06:10 AM) *

Well if he "gave up a bunch" of rounds to Woods, it was right before his corner threw in the towel from taking a lot of punishment??? That don't sound right, do it? And Harding got embarrased also. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't GBP, Floyd and Pacman CLEANING UP from the treatment HBO is serving them right now??? And the reason Nobody else before GBP, $$$, and PAC was getting the treatment Roy was getting is because NOBODY at that time has come close to seeing or doing the things he's done inside and outside of the ring.

And as far as the "BS" Competition, You seem to forget the names on his resume:

Undefeated Hopkins
Undefeated Toney
Undefeated Griffin
Hill
Tarver (after losin 25 lbs)
Ruiz
Hall
Woods
Harding (Who defeated Tarver)
Johnson
etc...

As as for that loss... WHEWWWW....

When I saw that, I actually asked myself... "What is this abberition (sp?) that seems to be laying down on the canvas..." It took a while for that to register to me. That next Mon, I could tell who all the Roy Jones fans were at work from body language and looks on faces.
Extant
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 10 2010, 02:32 PM) *
I love Jordan but truth be told he is no prince. There are tales of his arrogance and did you see his Hall of Fame speech? Reminded me of Floyd Mayweather with the arrogance.

I was close to telling you to wash your mouth out for making a Floyd/Jordan comparision as Floyd NEVER faced and/or defeated the odds that Jordan has until you qualified yourself by saying "with the arrogance".

No wait...

I still think you should wash your mouth out for putting them in the same sentence.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Extant @ Apr 10 2010, 04:45 PM) *
I was close to telling you to wash your mouth out for making a Floyd/Jordan comparision as Floyd NEVER faced and/or defeated the odds that Jordan has until you qualified yourself by saying "with the arrogance".

No wait...

I still think you should wash your mouth out for putting them in the same sentence.

LMFAO, Floyd has a very high skill level so that cannot be denied. All I was saying was that if you look at any top level athlete they are cocky and or arrogant.

Ali
Jordan
Elway
Woods
Mayweather
Bryant

I could go on all day. Wow, theses boards light up when Mayweather is mentioned. The hate flows so fiercly you missed the purpose of what I was saying.
D-MARV
I remember the fight like it was yesterday. After the first round, I turned to my boys and said Roy has this on LOCK. About two minutes later Roy was trying to pick himself off of the canvas. My initial thought was "Nady should have let him continued, he was up at 8!" then I saw replays and saw how Roy's eyes looked and understood. I hated Tarver for a while but after he fought Hopkins, I had no problem with him. The only thing going through my mind was "The greatest fighter in the last decade just got KTFO... (Yes Method, Roy IS/WAS greater than Hopkins)...

Shit Happens... guys get knocked out, even legends.

Method
In fact, if you remember, most people had Jones picked to lose by KO.

Not really. He was a 2-1 FAVORITE to win the fight.
darroy
QUOTE (Extant @ Apr 10 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Yeah, but he posed a threat to Holyfield, and Lewis while Jones scored a type of victory that hasn't been done in 106 years. If it were that easy, EVERYBODY would have been doing it from that time to the day Jones did it. Therefore we canNOT discredit Jones' victory. In fact, if you remember, most people had Jones picked to lose by KO.

Well if he "gave up a bunch" of rounds to Woods, it was right before his corner threw in the towel from taking a lot of punishment??? That don't sound right, do it? And Harding got embarrased also. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't GBP, Floyd and Pacman CLEANING UP from the treatment HBO is serving them right now??? And the reason Nobody else before GBP, $$$, and PAC was getting the treatment Roy was getting is because NOBODY at that time has come close to seeing or doing the things he's done inside and outside of the ring.

And as far as the "BS" Competition, You seem to forget the names on his resume:

Undefeated Hopkins
Undefeated Toney
Undefeated Griffin
Hill
Tarver (after losin 25 lbs)
Ruiz
Hall
Woods
Harding (Who defeated Tarver)
Johnson
etc...

As as for that loss... WHEWWWW....

When I saw that, I actually asked myself... "What is this abberition (sp?) that seems to be laying down on the canvas..." It took a while for that to register to me. That next Mon, I could tell who all the Roy Jones fans were at work from body language and looks on faces.

i agree w/ your take! i want someone to name a fighter back from 95 to 2003 who really was a legit threat to roy. the only names i come up with are maybe calzaghe at 168 or 175 and jirov at 190 as real threats(not dariusz m. he was really just average i have a dozen or so of his fights on tape/dvd). he fought the names you mention plus jorge castro, reggie johnson, del valle, highlight reel ko's of thulane malinga and thomas tate and fought mike mccallum though faded but still tough. not saying these are hof fighters except mike mccallum but better opposition than some give him credit for. hopkins resume is glossier because of the names on it (mostly smaller guys)but i think roy's resume is better overall.
Extant
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Not really. He was a 2-1 FAVORITE to win the fight.

I gotcha. However that margin (Sup's smallest in SERVERAL YEARS) still suggests that this fight was not looked at as a cakewalk by any means.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Maxy @ Apr 10 2010, 03:15 PM) *
I never saw the fight live, had to check the result in the morning when I got up. It wasn't on live over here see. Anyway, when I read Tarver KO's Jones I was almost as shocked as when Honeyghan beat Curry or Douglas beat Tyson. It was huge and I'll hold my hands up and admit I was stunned by it.

I always liked Jones, always followed Jones and if I'd been posting here in the early to mid 90's I would have been a nuthugger. Shamefully.

I just gave him a pass on his easy defenses. It did wear thin, I admit, but my main gripe with Roy was his complete refusal to fight abroad. I understood his reasons what with Seoul and all that but it did grow a bit tired after a time.

Still, I did like Roy and he was a great fighter. Maybe not as great as I lead myself to believe though a long time ago.

Exactly like me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.