Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@9:30 CST (SPOILERS@ 9:45) Berto vs. Quintana
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
For all on-going action and post-fight reaction to the Berto-Quintana fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
kidbazooka1
Can't waite for this one i got Quintana in an upset and Caballero takeing a close controversial decision.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 10 2010, 02:08 PM) *
For all on-going action and post-fight reaction to the Berto-Quintana fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator

im thinking quintana's gonna win this too...
Keith
I have to agree that I have a feeling about Quintana here.

Quintana is the more skilled of the two. He can probably establish a jab and counter Berto when he attacks.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I haven't seen any hype on the fight this week. This one has really gone under the radar, and I think it could be decent. People are underrating Quintana completely, but he's coming to win. Lets not forget it was only two fights ago that Berto was given ALL he could handle against Louie Collazo. I still think that rematch should get made, and would pick Collazo. Berto has some nice handspeed, but he's been off for awhile. It might not be a good idea to fight Quintana in the first fight back in 10 months. I understand why he couldn't fight in Jan. though, so it's not a knock on him. Quintana and his skills are going to be Berto's toughest challenge in his career. He's beaten Paul Williams, and actually think he'll upset Berto tomorrow night. Quintana by unanimous decision.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think Berto is a touch overrated. I like Quintana in this one too. Berto isn't that hard to find.

If Berto wins impressively then maybe I will have to reassess him. I think this is a good yardstick fight for Berto to take. We will know a lot more about him after this fight.

D-MARV
can someone send me a stream?
Mean Mister Mustard
Man Caballero is the 122 pound P.Williams.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 10 2010, 11:00 PM) *
Man Caballero is the 122 pound P.Williams.

Not Quite. LOL, But I see where you're going with it.
Mean Mister Mustard
In terms of technique he might not be but this guy is a lot like P.Will. Extremely tall for his weight, throws punches from all angles all night, can take flush shotsand no big name wants to fight him. The only difference is that he can actually handle slick boxers (Steve Molitor) while P.Williams struggles.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 10 2010, 11:12 PM) *
In terms of technique he might not be but this guy is a lot like P.Will. Extremely tall for his weight, throws punches from all angles all night, can take flush shotsand no big name wants to fight him. The only difference is that he can actually handle slick boxers (Steve Molitor) while P.Williams struggles.

Height, Activity, and chin is ALL they have in common. PWill is WORLDS better than this guy.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 10 2010, 10:16 PM) *
Height, Activity, and chin is ALL they have in common. PWill is WORLDS better than this guy.

Caballero has beaten top 122 pounders before. He beat an undefeated Ponce de Leon, Steve Molitor and Somsak Sithchatchawal (Who had beaten Mahyar Monshipour in the 2006 fight of the year). He's pretty fucking good. Good enough to be rated number 10 behind P.Williams in the P4P echelon.
KookedKrack
dry.gif @ the Soulja Boy entrance I hope Berto gets ktfo.
Imperius3
That was a very humanizing account by Berto. I'll be rooting for him tonight.
Keith
Changing my pick. Berto, I like the way he looks and it just feels like he should win this fight.

I think his speed catches the judges eye more then Quintana.

Berto can take Q's punch and wear him down.

After 2 rds it looks liek I should have stayed with my original thought.
Mean Mister Mustard
Last week for Hopkins-Jones people showed up to chat. This time a better fight happens and people don't show up.
Mean Mister Mustard
Berto holding like he's John Ruiz and complaining about rabbit punches. I don't like this new look of his.
KookedKrack
Berto is actin like a bitch.....I thought that was a knockdown in the first.
YiggyYoYo
i need a round by round update...i'm at work
YiggyYoYo
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 11 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Berto coming on, but he looks like a defensive back in there.

Berto comes on in the 3rd. Quintana has a point deducted.

I call it even so far.

Good Lookin' Out. Quintana likes collectin' them 0's
KookedKrack
I'm not sold on Berto against better comp he will lose......Mosley would have stretched him.
JD
Berto holds so damn much.

Ugh...

YiggyYoYo
Haven't been impressed with Berto at all...agree once he steps up to Elite level he's done...nice guy though...
Mean Mister Mustard
Berto has the handspeed of a boxer but the mentality of a slugger. The Meldrick Taylor comparisons aren't that far off.
KookedKrack
<3 Larry Merchant on commentary tonight dude is just saying whatever the fuck he feels.
Mean Mister Mustard
I like Berto but he seems to be getting by on handspeed and heart.
YiggyYoYo
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 11 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Berto gets it done, but man is that boy green.

Berto won?
The CEO
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 11 2010, 12:20 AM) *
<3 Larry Merchant on commentary tonight dude is just saying whatever the fuck he feels.

Larry texted me right after the stoppage with the following...

"MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING! PUT ME ON THE GOD DAMN BUS!"
Keith
Berto is unimpressive.

He has little defense. He gets hit with the jab easily. He looks very undisciplined with the holding. He gets a bit tired and holds his hands low. He fights in spurts and that will cost him when he faces someone who fights and concentrates for 3 minutes of every round.

KookedKrack
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 10 2010, 11:27 PM) *
Larry texted me right after the stoppage with the following...

"MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING! PUT ME ON THE GOD DAMN BUS!"

Sign me up its only a matter of time for Berto ......

LMAO at hbo mentioning Pac, Mosley or May they all stretch him even Floyd.
Michigan Assassin
I'd have to take a look at the welterweight rankings but I have a hard time picking Berto versus any of the top 10 welterweights.

Honestly, he looked like shit but Carlos couldn't exploit it enough. Berto would miss by a mile with a hook and be in a terrible position for a counter but Quintana was just happy to get the fuck off the ropes.

BTW Merchant was on point with everything he had to say IMO.
Lil-lightsout
Way to go Berto!!! I picked you to win by TKO round 8, and you came through buddy.
Jack 1000
An easy win for Berto,

I had it 6-1. You could make a case for 5-2 Berto, but he was the busier fighter and landed the more meaningful punches. Quintana really tried, but I think that his better days have passed.

Berto isn't great, but he's good enough to get the job done and that's what's important. Time for the big names at Welterweight.

Jack
kidbazooka1
Berto won but iim not impressed Any of the top three welters would brutalize him IMO.

Caballero on the other hand looked realy damn good against a guy who many thought was gonna beat him. He definitly deserves a shot at Lopez or Gamboa.
D-MARV
Didn't see the fight but it sounds like Berto looked like shit until the stoppage. It's a good thing he didn't fight Shane.
JD
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 11 2010, 04:30 AM) *
Berto won but iim not impressed Any of the top three welters would brutalize him IMO.

Caballero on the other hand looked realy damn good against a guy who many thought was gonna beat him. He definitly deserves a shot at Lopez or Gamboa.

They are not putting Lopez anywhere near him...they are going to try to get Gamboa to do the dirty work.
D-MARV
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 11 2010, 04:30 AM) *

Who thought Jordan was gonna beat Caballero?

Everybody wants to talk about Berto being overrated... Caballero has slowly become one of the most overrated fighters out there.
EAlbian
I would like to see berto go down to 140 where I think he's better matched or fight collazo and wait for a Bradley or Alexander to come up to 147. I think fighting against any of the top welters does nothing for his career or the sport, also needs to drop his trainer and hook up with with maybe a mayweather, Floyd sr has got no one, maybe mustafa muhamed.
Thegreatequalizer
i can see a stylistic comparison to meldrick taylor, though obviously not nearly as skilled or talented. i also notice a comparison to another taylor, jermaine. berto seems stiff in there and he appears to expend a lot of energy throwing his punches like jt. i agree that he's going to fall short of greatness by ko (similar to taylor)
Snoop
Berto would have gotten THRASHED by Mosley. Way too open, way too confused (for most of the fight), only seems to put things together by just pushing it through with brute force, he doesn't hang with any of the top tiers IMO.

Caballero was impressive but not damn near as good as the commentators were making him out to be. I also don't know if I agreed with the whole "live slaughter" they kept trying to paint towards the end of the fight. Solid fighter Caballero is, but I don't think he gets by either Lopez or Gamboa, at least not from what I saw.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 11 2010, 09:21 AM) *
Who thought Jordan was gonna beat Caballero?

Everybody wants to talk about Berto being overrated... Caballero has slowly become one of the most overrated fighters out there.

A sh*tload of people on other boards thought this was gonna be Yordan's breakthrough fight.
mexi-cutioner
I only watched the first 8 rounds of the fight but I didn't think Berto looked too bad, keeping in mind he's still young and raw and has room to improve.

Caballero vs Gamboa is an extremely intriguing bout I am definitely looking forward to that fight! If it was an HBO PPV I would order it.
Snoop
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 11 2010, 11:57 PM) *
I only watched the first 8 rounds of the fight but I didn't think Berto looked too bad, keeping in mind he's still young and raw and has room to improve.

He definitely has ALOT to improve on, but based on his incremental improvements over his recent fights, either his team knows what he needs to improve on, or he's incapable of improving much more. Either way, right now, he'd be OPEN SEASON to one of the top guys.
HaydelHammer
Just got back from jamaica....finally watched the recording of this fight. Not a fan of either guy.

My analysis:

That complaining and carrying on early in that match when he (Berto) was falling into the guy after his shots missed and constantly complaining about hits behind the head was gay. For some odd reason I'm just not too hot about Berto at all.

That is all.......
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Apr 11 2010, 01:38 PM) *
I would like to see berto go down to 140 where I think he's better matched or fight collazo and wait for a Bradley or Alexander to come up to 147. I think fighting against any of the top welters does nothing for his career or the sport, also needs to drop his trainer and hook up with with maybe a mayweather, Floyd sr has got no one, maybe mustafa muhamed.

I think Bradley/Berto is a must see fight. it would be explosive. Though Bradley isnt the strongest puncher, he may KO Berto by accumulation. bertos doesnt have the strongest chin. Bradley would also be vulnerable because he takes alot of chances and Berto has speed and can crack. Would be a good fight for both guys. Bradley would in all likelyhood move up to 47. Bradley will have a tough time at 147 due to height and power issues.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 11 2010, 04:13 PM) *
I'm not trying to start any shit, mexi-cutioner, but the fight ended in the 8th.

oh my bad i meant *7 rounds of the fight, and even then i only watched up until the midway point of the 7th. I tried convincing my buddies to hold up till the end of the bout but they aren't big boxing fans and were gonna blaze without me and i didn't wanna pass that up lol.

EAlbian
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 11 2010, 11:25 PM) *
I think Bradley/Berto is a must see fight. it would be explosive. Though Bradley isnt the strongest puncher, he may KO Berto by accumulation. bertos doesnt have the strongest chin. Bradley would also be vulnerable because he takes alot of chances and Berto has speed and can crack. Would be a good fight for both guys. Bradley would in all likelyhood move up to 47. Bradley will have a tough time at 147 due to height and power issues.

Yeah, that's the fight I was looking for too. I think that the top tier guys need to fight eachother in their next couple fights while this younger generation builds their names. Berto has said numerous times he could make 140 but I don't see him dropping because it will imediately start the whole "he's running." I think that he should fight a collazo rematch or pick up a clottey fight to measure himself with some of the other top tier guys. Let Alexander and Bradley clear up 140, which will take about a year or two and become a household name, boxing needs to replenish its self because recently u see the young guys get thrown to the wolves to early and then you have to wait till the next guy. I really think that Alexander is the next big thing but they have to move him correctly, which I think means keep him away from Bradley for a year or two and then try and make a fight when they are both p4p, and recognized by the public. Boxing needs an inside seris like inside mma and for it's fighters to make more apperances at other events to get their names out there and keep them relevant. The whole structure of the fight game needs to be revamped. Think that might be a good topic "how you would elevate the sport of boxing"
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Apr 12 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Think that might be a good topic "how you would elevate the sport of boxing"

Good idea. Post it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.