Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WBC to be sued under RICO?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Go Austin, Go!

Heavyweight contender Ray Austin, rated number 1 by the WBC, is prepared to take legal action against the WBC if Jose Sulaiman follows through with his plans to cut Austin out of its next elimination bout.

John Tripp, one of the bankruptcy attorneys involved with Austin issued the following statement:

Ray Austin is ready, willing and able to fight in the next elimination bout. The WBC decision to announce the title eliminator between Solis and Valuev merely because of Ray Austin filing bankruptcy and rejectiing his personal management and promotional agreement with Don King Productions is clearly a violation of Ray’s rights under Federal Bankruptcy Law and we intend to file a complaint in the United State Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of Ohio against WBC for violating the provisions of the bankruptcy code. I have had some dealings in boxing and this type of abuse has been going on for too long.

We previously advised the WBC, on multiple occasions, that Ray was available to box Solis or any other fighter designated by the WBC, but they decided to ignore Ray Austin’s right in his #1 position. Over the weekend we will be investigation possible racketeering, conspiracy, and RICO charges against the WBC and other parties. If Jose Sulaiman wants another debacle like Graciano Rocchigiainni, he is well on his way. The WBC is not going to get away with ignoring its own rules yet again.
KookedKrack
drinks.gif

Hopefully they find something ....then we can pop the champagne.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 10 2010, 03:27 PM) *
drinks.gif

Hopefully they find something ....then we can pop the champagne.

hell yeah that'll be one less governing body we have to worry about... lol...
Mean Mister Mustard
This is indeed good to hear, although we still need to see whether this is all talk. The thing that worries me is that the WBC knows how to get out of trouble. Remember when Graciano Rocchigiainni had them by the short and curlies and then all of a sudden backed off? The hell happened there?
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 10 2010, 02:01 PM) *
This is indeed good to hear, although we still need to see whether this is all talk. The thing that worries me is that the WBC knows how to get out of trouble. Remember when Graciano Rocchigiainni had them by the short and curlies and then all of a sudden backed off? The hell happened there?

He took a settlement from what I remember...
The World Boxing Council, the Mexico City-based sanctioning body that recognizes many of boxing's top champions with its well-known green and gold title belt, will file Chapter 7 bankruptcy Monday.

The WBC previously filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2003 after German light heavyweight Graciano Rocchigiani won a $31 million judgment from a New York jury after he sued the WBC for wrongly stripping him of the title and reinstating Roy Jones Jr. as champ.

"As much as the WBC would like to satisfy the judgment, it is simply impossible for the WBC, a not-for-profit organization, to pay Mr. Rocchigiani the staggering $31 million award," WBC President Jose Sulaiman said in a statement.

Typically, Chapter 7 bankruptcy leads to the liquidation of a company. If the WBC is liquidated, the status of its champions is uncertain.

Rocchigiani beat Michael Nunn on March 21, 1998, for the title Jones had vacated. But three months later, when Jones decided he wanted to keep the belt, the WBC restored his title and Rocchigiani sued.

The WBC sent a letter to Rocchigiani after the switch explaining that the rankings that showed him as champion were a typographical error.

Sulaiman said the WBC, founded in 1963, made Rocchigiani a "substantial" settlement offer that was rejected. Sulaiman said the offer "far exceeds what Mr. Rocchigiani could hope to recover in WBC liquidation proceedings."

WBC champions include heavyweight Vitali Klitschko, light heavyweight Antonio Tarver, middleweight Bernard Hopkins, welterweight Cory Spinks, junior welterweight Arturo Gatti and junior lightweight Erik Morales.

Numbers are in:

According to HBO PPV's Mark Taffet, the June 5 card featuring Oscar De La Hoya vs. Felix Sturm and Bernard Hopkins vs. Robert Allen generated 380,000 buys and $19 million.

"The fight performed well within our range of expectations. We now look forward to the Sept. 18 De La Hoya-Hopkins undisputed world middleweight championship fight, which we expect to be one of the highest-grossing non-heavyweight fights of all time," Taffet said.

With star Felix Trinidad returning to action Oct. 2 to face Ricardo Mayorga in an HBO PPV fight at New York's Madison Square Garden, Taffet said the two fights "have the potential to approach $100 million in gross revenue, making it the (richest) period in the history of the middleweight division."

Mayweather convicted:

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. was convicted on two counts of misdemeanor battery stemming from a fight in August with two women inside a Las Vegas nightclub. The junior welterweight received a one-year suspended sentence and was ordered to undergo counseling. Mayweather, who made $3.25 million in his win against DeMarcus Corley last month, also must pay a $1,000 fine or serve 100 hours of community service.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The WBC says it has completed an agreement with a German boxer that will prevent the sanctioning body from collapse.

The agreement with Graciano Rocchigiani was signed Friday, and the WBC on Tuesday withdrew plans to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Puerto Rico, WBC president Jose Sulaiman said in a statement.

"We have gotten up off the canvas only seconds from disappearing," said Sulaiman, who reported last month a tentative agreement had been reached. Terms were not disclosed.

Rocchigiani won a $31 million judgment against the WBC over the loss of his light heavyweight title in 1998, prompting WBC officials to say the organization would file for liquidation.

Founded in 1963, the Mexico City-based WBC is regarded as the most influential of boxing's three major sanctioning organizations. It had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2003 after a New York court ruled for Rocchigiani.

The case began in 1998, when the WBC declared its light heavyweight title vacant. Roy Jones, the champion at the time, was considering abandoning the crown to become a heavyweight.

Rocchigiani signed to fight Michael Nunn for the vacated belt. On March 21, 1998, he won a split decision to become the WBC light heavyweight champ. The court apparently rejected the WBC argument that he had been merely interim champion.

When Jones decided to return to the light-heavyweight ranks in June, he was restored to his position as champion, and the WBC sent a letter to Rocchigiani saying the official rankings that showed him as champion were a "typographical error."

"Although we always felt ourselves to be innocent, we want to leave this experience in the past," Sulaiman said.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 10 2010, 04:08 PM) *
He took a settlement from what I remember...

Yeah but I remember reading that if he would have pressed on the WBC would have been no more.They got off easy.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 10 2010, 03:48 PM) *
hell yeah that'll be one less governing body we have to worry about... lol...

And the deaths of "Open Scoring" and "Pont Deductions" for accidental head-butts! But unfortunately, the WBC will probably back down due to legal pressure or something.

The only things that I can say positive about the WBC is that they do a decent job with fighter safety and they unlike the other alphabet organizations seem to be the most receptive to answering e-mail and community input. I have also had positive experiences with the WBO's Paco Varcarcel. But I think there are two main problems with the WBO:

1.) Their ludicrous decision to name Francisco Damaiani as their heavyweight champion when Tyson was the obvious undisputed guy. They should have done what the IBF did with Larry Holmes. When the IBF was formed, they just gave their title belt to Holmes, because they rightfully believed that he was the world champion at that time. I don't think the WBO ever recovered from the Domiani incident. and

2.) The foothold that the have in Europe is disproportionate to the rest of the world. Frank Warren and Wilfried Satherland's champions had WBO strength in Europe where the main world federations champions at least FOUGHT throughout the world.

3.) It's also no secret that the WBC's Jose Suliman and the WBO's Paco Varcarcel have had personal differences for many years. For a long time, the WBC would not sanction WBO title unifications, and often would only do so if the winner agreed to vacate the WBO title. I remember that Barrera-Moraels I was one such instance. Don King was able to finally get the two Presidents to agree to terms for future unification fights and I think around 2001-2002 the WBC accepted the WBO.

But I still don't know what the beef is with the WBC and their refusal to approve a unification between Tim Bradley and Devon Alerxander, at least according to Dan Raphael. Suliman in rebuttal presented letters that said things were good and seemed to imply that Dan made libel accusations.

I don't know all the details, but I think that having fewer world champions can make unification fights easier. I DO NOT want one world, one champion for fear of a promotional monopoly coming in and you get someone like King, or Arum, or Delahoya (HBO would LOVE Delahoya) buying out the ratings where competition would be eliminated. That's not good either. Personally I liked it the best when it was just the main two federations, the WBA and WBC and they worked together to keep and encourage unification fights for the most part until about 1978 when Spinks lost WBC recognition for refusing to fight Ken Norton, opting instead to give Ali a rematch.

That instance was like the first main time that they started fragmenting the belts and giving individual recognition to each one.

Jack
Byrd Man
I just wish someone could ride in with a shitload of money and just buy them all and consolidate all the ABC organizations into one.

And that person would hopefully be a non-biased person who is not beholden to any promotor, network, or fighter. I know that's a fantasy but still...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 10 2010, 04:17 PM) *
I just wish someone could ride in with a shitload of money and just buy them all and consolidate all the ABC organizations into one.

And that person would hopefully be a non-biased person who is not beholden to any promotor, network, or fighter. I know that's a fantasy but still...

I don't think boxing will ever find a one perfect solution. But I would just like to see the best fights, against the best fighters, the best possible champions and contenders against each other WITHOUT negative influence from a promoter, governing body, or network. I mean the dissension between HBO and Showtime is such bullshit that you have them scheduling conflicting fights often overlapping against each other to try to get the best ratings. I mean, WTF? Ten years ago, maybe more than that, boxing didn't do that. I mean there was still the time when free commercial boxing would overlap on free TV with major championship fights on ABC Wide World of Sports, NBC Sportsworld, and CBS Sports. But they would often have some other bullshit sports on before they would get to the fight, and if you were lucky, you could switch between stations and catch the fight on one station and than go to the other station.

CBS used to SUCK the most with delaying boxing. They would talk about the fight at the beginning of the broadcast and than fill up a two-hour slot with Little League World Series and Championship Basket Weaving or some shit!!!! Many of you I am sure remember this!

Jack
Byrd Man
From Bad Left Hook:
Usually this is just a pretense for a fighter to maintain a ranking or be named a mandatory, but with the names involved, this one is more interesting. For years now, it's been alleged that Don King has the WBC in his back pocket. With Austin trying to avoid his contract with Don King, suddenly the WBC passes Austin over in order to give the shot to Valuev, another fighter co-promoted by Don King. Something smells much fishier than usual with this one.

Frankly, I hope the WBC stays on the path that it's on. As referenced by the lawyers, the WBC was nearly bankrupted a decade ago when it lost a lawsuit to Graciano Rocchigiani, who the WBC stripped for no reason before basically gifting the belt to Roy Jones. The only reason the WBC is still around is because Rocchigiani settled with the WBC after his judgment sent them into bankruptcy. And of course, Sulaiman, who perpetrated all of this, was rewarded by being named dictator for life of the WBC.

It looks like Austin may have a pretty strong case here, and if this case were to make it to discovery, it would air a lot of the WBC's dirty laundry that they probably don't want out there. For this reason, it will probably settle quietly, with the end result being that Austin gets the next mandatory or something like that, but one can dream that it might move forward and eventually put the WBC out of commission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.