Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Lucian Bute?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The CEO
or as some might call him..."Loosechin Bootay"....lol

Yeah....this dude is a Calzaghe Lite...the day he steps up and fights outside of Canada (IF that ever happens) is the day he gets exposed AGAIN for the B Level boxer he is...the first Andrade fight was very telling...

Here's Bootay's best attributes...

1. Positive demeanor.

2. Unorthodox, with slightly above average fundamentals.

3. A very good Solar Plexus punch.

and that's about all he's got...well...other than being a homeboy with a personal ref in Marlon B. Wright....but those aren't positive things to ME.

I have him ranked 5th at 168....after Ward, Dirrell, Froch, and Abraham.

Where do YOU have him?
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 13 2010, 08:59 AM) *
or as some might call him..."Loosechin Bootay"....lol

Yeah....this dude is a Calzaghe Lite...the day he steps up and fights outside of Canada (IF that ever happens) is the day he gets exposed AGAIN for the B Level boxer he is...the first Andrade fight was very telling...

Here's Bootay's best attributes...

1. Positive demeanor.

2. Unorthodox, with slightly above average fundamentals.

3. A very good Solar Plexus punch.

and that's about all he's got...well...other than being a homeboy with a personal ref in Marlon B. Wright....but those aren't positive things to ME.

I have him ranked 5th at 168....after Ward, Dirrell, Froch, and Abraham.

Where do YOU have him?

Bute is a VERY GOOD fighter... I like him.

I rank him number 4 right now. Ward, Dirrell and Froch are ahead him. I can't put Abraham above him beacause I don't think Bute loses EVERY SECOND of a fight with Dirrell.
SmartyBeardo
I think Bute is a solid and entertaining fighter, but I wouldn't rate him any higher than 5th until he comes out from the f'ed up Canadian boxing puddle and swims with the big fish.

AA had the guts to get into the Detroit aquarium with a native ciclid.
Maxy
I've only seen him box twice and he didn't really stand out as anything special. I'd definitely take Ward and Froch over him. Prior to the Dirrell fight I'd have taken Abraham over him but now I'm not convinced. I probably rate him as the 5th best but it's regrettable that we won't really find out because he didn't enter the super six....which is to his detriment.
Mean Mister Mustard
He's very big in Canada. I personally dislike him because he's a cocky guy but he is good.

CEO, you mention that the first time he steps out of Canada he will lose. He already beat Andrade twice, Alejandro Berrio and Sakio Bika and the apart ,from the firts Andrade fight, M. Wright had nothing to do with those victories. One of the reasons he doesn't fight outside Canada is because I doubt he would draw a big crowd. If he fought in the U.S on HBO he'd have to be on the undercard but like I said, he's too cocky and probably wants to keep being the main event like he has been for years. It's not the right move but that's what he seems to be concerned with.

Right now he's frozen out of the 168 pound tournament, his own damn fault, so there's no way he'll touch any of the top 6 guys in the division. After that the competition is scarce. Does he fight Bika again? Stieglitz? A trhid fight with Andrade? It would be a shame if instead of moving up in weight they instead start fighting guys moving up from 168.
The CEO
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 13 2010, 11:19 AM) *
He's very big in Canada. I personally dislike him because he's a cocky guy but he is good.

CEO, you mention that the first time he steps out of Canada he will lose. He already beat Andrade twice, Alejandro Berrio and Sakio Bika and the apart ,from the firts Andrade fight, M. Wright had nothing to do with those victories. One of the reasons he doesn't fight outside Canada is because I doubt he would draw a big crowd. If he fought in the U.S on HBO he'd have to be on the undercard but like I said, he's too cocky and probably wants to keep being the main event like he has been for years. It's not the right move but that's what he seems to be concerned with.

Right now he's frozen out of the 168 pound tournament, his own damn fault, so there's no way he'll touch any of the top 6 guys in the division. After that the competition is scarce. Does he fight Bika again? Stieglitz? A trhid fight with Andrade? It would be a shame if instead of moving up in weight they instead start fighting guys moving up from 168.

Why didn't you just agree he was a "Calzaghe Lite"?...would have saved you some time...lol
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 13 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Why didn't you just agree he was a "Calzaghe Lite"?...would have saved you some time...lol

LOL I get what you're saying, he fights at home and is cocky as hell, therefoere Bute=Calzaghe but what I was disagreeing with is what you said about him fighting abroad and getting beat the first time he does it. Consistently fighting at home has not proven to be a factor in winning fights, with the exception of the Andrade fight.
Douchebag
For someone that thinks that 168 is such a trash division you sure to give it (168) a lot of shine. Maybe you are going soft in your old age CEO say it aint so.
The CEO
Naw, man...that's the glare from a magnifying glass...

I'm burnin' ants.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 13 2010, 01:36 PM) *

I've watched Bute fight a couple times and he does remind me of Calzaghe a bit, but I think Bute is a bettter pure boxer and hits harder than Joe. From his interviews he seems to be a better guy than Calzaghe also. If Bute and Calzaghe fought right now I give the edge to Bute..I think he's that good. I'm surprised Hopkins wants to fight this guy right now...I love X, but I think that would be a mistake.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 13 2010, 06:04 PM) *
I've watched Bute fight a couple times and he does remind me of Calzaghe a bit, but I think Bute is a bettter pure boxer and hits harder than Joe. From his interviews he seems to be a better guy than Calzaghe also. If Bute and Calzaghe fought right now I give the edge to Bute..I think he's that good. I'm surprised Hopkins wants to fight this guy right now...I love X, but I think that would be a mistake.

If Bute does coke then the prophecy will be complete.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 13 2010, 09:08 AM) *
Bute is a VERY GOOD fighter... I like him.

I rank him number 4 right now. Ward, Dirrell and Froch are ahead him. I can't put Abraham above him beacause I don't think Bute loses EVERY SECOND of a fight with Dirrell.

Totally agree with this..I like Bute as well..He is a smart fighter and shows he can make changes during a fight..
Michigan Assassin
There is know doubt in my mind that if he fights Froch he'll tear him a new asshole.

And as far as him being coccky, I don't get that at all. You have to be confident to take up this sprt if not you won't make it very far.

I met him in Canastota last year and even though he did speak English very well he seemed like a cool dude. Posing for photos, signing autographs etc.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ Apr 13 2010, 05:36 PM) *
There is know doubt in my mind that if he fights Froch he'll tear him a new asshole.

And as far as him being coccky, I don't get that at all. You have to be confident to take up this sprt if not you won't make it very far.

I met him in Canastota last year and even though he did speak English very well he seemed like a cool dude. Posing for photos, signing autographs etc.

I've seen him in person and read about him and have seen him act with an attitude but you are correct that in boxing you need to have a confident mentality. There is a difference between being sure of yourself and being an asshole. I wouldn't say Bute is an asshole.
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 13 2010, 07:43 PM) *
Gee. I never saw that coming.

Like you saw THE BERTO BASH BUS comin'...lol...whatever.

NO fighter is safe.
STEVENSKI
So he is Canadian & Fench? That makes him suck twice as much. The worst combination of a arrogant talentless Euro with the delusions of being a more better person than his American cousins.
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 13 2010, 09:08 PM) *
So he is Canadian & Fench? That makes him suck twice as much. The worst combination of a arrogant talentless Euro with the delusions of being a more better person than his American cousins.

LMAOO!!

That's a sweet one.

He's actually a transplant from Romania or somewhere though...from one of those shithole, eastern block countries where their most famous celebrity is a female gymnast.
JLUVBABY
the super 6 should have been super 8 with a 2 loss elimination... just my opinion... bute and green should have been a part of this from the beginning...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 13 2010, 10:02 PM) *
the super 6 should have been super 8 with a 2 loss elimination... just my opinion... bute and green should have been a part of this from the beginning...

That'd be one long ass tourney if that was the case..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 14 2010, 02:14 AM) *
LMAOO!!

That's a sweet one.

He's actually a transplant from Romania or somewhere though...from one of those shithole, eastern block countries where their most famous celebrity is a female gymnast.

Well that is even worse. Canadians suck so much they did not even win the medal count in their own Olympics which were rigged I may add (not that anyone does not know that).

Canadians suck. Romanians suck just as much & a Romanian living in Canada is the top line Dyson they suck so much.

Canadians are so unmanly they have a stupid leaf on their flag rather than something strong & tough like stars (Australia & the USA have stars which prooves we rock). The red & white is for the red blood that spills on the white Canadian snow every time they look sideways at their southern neighbours.
grapevine241
i think bute is pretty good, i think hes clearly the #1 at 168. i dont have bute (or anybody else at 168) in my top 20 P4P though...
RyanTical
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 13 2010, 08:48 PM) *
Well that is even worse. Canadians suck so much they did not even win the medal count in their own Olympics which were rigged I may add (not that anyone does not know that).

Canadians suck. Romanians suck just as much & a Romanian living in Canada is the top line Dyson they suck so much.

Canadians are so unmanly they have a stupid leaf on their flag rather than something strong & tough like stars (Australia & the USA have stars which prooves we rock). The red & white is for the red blood that spills on the white Canadian snow every time they look sideways at their southern neighbours.

But they won the most Gold medals... that's all that counts to them. Whoever wins a gold medal in an event called 'Skeleton' deserves to be ridiculed.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2010, 07:43 PM) *
I like Bute and think he is pretty good. He really, really impressed me in his last fight.
That said, I can't say for sure whether he is any better than Ward, Dirrel, Froch and Abraham though from what I seen, I can't say convincingly that he is any worse than those guys either.
I think he is the goods, and once the tournament is done, throw him in with some of those fighters. I really like Bute so far.

As do I, Bute is showing a lot of promise, but I don't see him holding the belt very long. As you said: Ward, Dirrel, Forch and Abraham would put up a good fight for Bute and definitely challenge him. If I were to break it down, I would say Ward and Dirrel would lose to Bute on points (close margin), Froch would win going the distance and Abraham has fight of the year written all over it. I'm not too sure about Allan Green, I could see that fight going either way advantage Green, imo.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 15 2010, 02:49 AM) *
But they won the most Gold medals... that's all that counts to them. Whoever wins a gold medal in an event called 'Skeleton' deserves to be ridiculed.

Fully agreed. Winter Olympics is nothing more than several different and unneccessary ways to slide down a hill. Who the fuck wants to be the best at sliding down a hill? I was doing that when I was 6
RyanTical
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 14 2010, 07:53 PM) *
Fully agreed. Winter Olympics is nothing more than several different and unneccessary ways to slide down a hill. Who the fuck wants to be the best at sliding down a hill? I was doing that when I was 6

We are talking about Canada...hell, look at this video, it sums it up.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2010, 09:43 PM) *
I like Bute and think he is pretty good. He really, really impressed me in his last fight.
That said, I can't say for sure whether he is any better than Ward, Dirrel, Froch and Abraham though from what I seen, I can't say convincingly that he is any worse than those guys either.
I think he is the goods, and once the tournament is done, throw him in with some of those fighters. I really like Bute so far.

The only guys who I think would really compete or beat Bute in the super 6 would be Ward and maybe Dirrell..I still can't stop debating on if Dirrell was acting after gettin hit by Abraham..It was a really weird scene and don't recall seeing something like that before..Either way,if Bute timed Ward or Dirrell,he'd be givin them hell with his boxing skills(more Dirrell than Ward since Ward is the better boxer)..Bute's skill would beat Froch and Abraham in my opinion..Bute would rack up points and play it safe when Abraham tries to come on and use footwork..
The CEO
QUOTE (grapevine241 @ Apr 14 2010, 10:39 PM) *
i think bute is pretty good, i think hes clearly the #1 at 168. i dont have bute (or anybody else at 168) in my top 20 P4P though...

QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 14 2010, 10:49 PM) *

As do I, Bute is showing a lot of promise, but I don't see him holding the belt very long. As you said: Ward, Dirrel, Forch and Abraham would put up a good fight for Bute and definitely challenge him. If I were to break it down, I would say Ward and Dirrel would lose to Bute on points (close margin), Froch would win going the distance and Abraham has fight of the year written all over it. I'm not too sure about Allan Green, I could see that fight going either way advantage Green, imo.

Lil-lightsout
Lucian Bute looks pretty good so far overall, but we need to see him in with other big dogs to see where he really stands. My only question mark about him was seeing him on the brink of being KO'd by Andrade in their first fight. Sure he got sloppy and brave, but just wonder what type of beard he has? But he is a damn good boxer for sure.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 15 2010, 11:25 AM) *

laugh.gif

I keep reading that bolded stuff, and to be honest I just do not get it(his logic).
D-MARV

LMAO
grapevine241

then who is #1 at 168 if its not bute? froch or ward could be i guess, but i thought froch lost to dirrell and ward has only just stepped up to beat kessler who i didnt consider #1 before.
The CEO
QUOTE (grapevine241 @ Apr 15 2010, 03:50 PM) *
then who is #1 at 168 if its not bute? froch or ward could be i guess, but i thought froch lost to dirrell and ward has only just stepped up to beat kessler who i didnt consider #1 before.

Well...Kessler, as average as he always was, was widely considered the #1 after Calzaghe ran into retirement...he destroyed Andrade, who is a C+ brawler...Bute basically got saved against that same brawler in their first fight...

and Ward OWNED Kessler.

So essentially...that one win by Ward is better than any win Bute has had...and believe me, I'm not sayin' that win was special...in fact, it was a mismatch...but only a select few of us knew that.

but check THIS out...you're not alone...you know who feels the same as you?

The Ring haha.gif

Here's THEIR Super Middle rankings...

1. Lucian Bute

2. Andre Ward

3. Carl Froch

4. Mikkel Kessler

5. Sakio Bika

6. Andre Dirrell

7. Arthur Abraham

8. Allan Green

9. Librado Andrade

10. Robert Stieglitz

Yep...it's like that....unreal....just a another reminder of why I haven't read that garbage rag in over 20 years...

I'm serious when I say this...if I happened upon a recent copy of The Ring lying on the street, I would take it to the nearest restroom and wipe my ass with it....without reading it while I was shitting...
D-MARV
Bute being number 1 is LAUGHABLE!
grapevine241
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 15 2010, 06:15 PM) *
Well...Kessler, as average as he always was, was widely considered the #1 after Calzaghe ran into retirement...he destroyed Andrade, who is a C+ brawler...Bute basically got saved against that same brawler in their first fight...

and Ward OWNED Kessler.

So essentially...that one win by Ward is better than any win Bute has had...and believe me, I'm not sayin' that win was special...in fact, it was a mismatch...but only a select few of us knew that.

but check THIS out...you're not alone...you know who feels the same as you?

The Ring haha.gif

1. Lucian Bute

2. Andre Ward

3. Carl Froch

4. Mikkel Kessler

5. Sakio Bika

6. Andre Dirrell

7. Arthur Abraham

8. Allan Green

9. Librado Andrade

10. Robert Stieglitz

Yep...it's like that....unreal....just a another reminder of why I haven't read that garbage rag in over 20 years...

I'm serious when I say this...if I happened upon a recent copy of The Ring lying on the street, I would take it to the nearest restroom and wipe my ass with it....without reading it while I was shitting...

yeah the ring is awful a lot of the time... but their rankings @ 168 look okay to me. if i had to i would probably have the top 3 as bute, froch, then ward.
D-MARV
Is anybody else getting those damn Mcdonalds pop ups? or is it just me?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 16 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Hype sold out to a fast food giant.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 15 2010, 07:25 PM) *

im not getting any pop ups...
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2010, 02:43 AM) *

Agree.

Although with Ward's win against Kessler I'd have to put him #1 in the division but personally I think Bute is more impressive on the eye than Ward is. Lucian Bute may have gotten all he could handle at the end of the fight against Andrade in their 1st but it was all erased when he learned & adjusted to put the very solid, durable fighter away in a very impressive performance in the rematch!

As for the Calzaghe comparisons, I don't quite see them as others do! Maybe they got similar hair cuts & both throw a lot of punches LOL.. but that's about it for me?! Bute has shown some really good skills in the ring with some very quick, accurate, heavy hands that I'd like to see if he could put into use again, against one of the top fighters in the Super 6.

QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 15 2010, 10:15 PM) *

1. Lucian Bute

2. Andre Ward

3. Carl Froch

4. Mikkel Kessler

5. Sakio Bika

6. Andre Dirrell

7. Arthur Abraham

8. Allan Green

9. Librado Andrade

10. Robert Stieglitz

By looking at that list, the Super Middleweight division has never gotten the right media attention but has shaped up to be a decent division in the sport.

I think Bute looks good & stops Edison Miranda with combinations this weekend in a beatdown that gets stopped inside of 6 rounds & looks good!
JonnyBlaze
Does anyone know what channel is going to play the Bute fight or if it's on TV at all??I wanna catch it but couldn't find it on TV..

Also,Miranda is made for Bute..He's gettin a boxing lesson..
grapevine241
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 17 2010, 03:10 AM) *
Does anyone know what channel is going to play the Bute fight or if it's on TV at all??I wanna catch it but couldn't find it on TV..

Also,Miranda is made for Bute..He's gettin a boxing lesson..

its on HBO @ 10 ET
JD
Bute is overrated right now.

He is a nice fighter...solid...but not special.
D-MARV
I like Bute but I agree that he has a lot to prove.

A blow out victory tonight would be a step in the right direction.
Maxy
Great result for him tonight. Only wish we could judge him better if he'd have entered the super 6.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 17 2010, 01:35 PM) *
Bute is overrated right now.

He is a nice fighter...solid...but not special.

I don't think Bute is overrated at this point. He is a solid fighter and that's what I hear people calling him. I have heard people say that he may be special and time will tell.
Col Reb
He is Calzaghe light. I would love to see him fight Joe Cal, but we know that will never happen. He could try to get BHOP to come down in weight for a fun fight across the border.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.