Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bernard Hopkins to sign with Don King?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
TRU
Gotta luv how stupid some of these guys are...
thehype
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 14 2010, 01:01 PM) *
Gotta luv how stupid some of these guys are...

Stupid...desparate...all of the above.

laugh.gif
KookedKrack
thumbsdown_anim.gif

WTF is going on here?

Details? No more Golden Boy?
thehype
What more details do you need?

Bernard is pissed at Golden Boy because it's clear that they don't really want to do anymore business with him...and why would they considering they probably lose money any time they put together a card headlined by him. That being said, Bernard, being the natural hustler that he is, will try to con another promoter to pick up his tab in hopes of getting a few more lucrative low-risk/high-reward fights...so he figures why not go back to Don King, I guess.

Personally, I think the move is GREAT for Bernard's career because 1) DK rarely even puts on fights anymore and 2) DK doesn't even have many, if any, TV dates...therefore, the chances of me having to sit through one of his "masterful" and yet "boring" performances are slim to none. In my opinion, that's the best thing that could happen to Bernard.

laugh.gif
KookedKrack
Damn they fooled me into thinking BHOP held any weight over there.

Damn so what does that say about Mosley? sad.gif If he doesn't beat Floyd he has to GTFO. laugh.gif

TRU
Gotta luv how Bernard has insinuated that GBP doesn't know how to promote black fighters...

Then you have DKP who always fakes his loyalty towards promoting the brothas...

If any two idiots in boxing were made for each other, it's Don King and Bernard Hopkins.
Spyder
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 14 2010, 02:44 PM) *
Gotta luv how Bernard has insinuated that GBP doesn't know how to promote black fighters...

Then you have DKP who always fakes his loyalty towards promoting the brothas...

If any two idiots in boxing were made for each other, it's Don King and Bernard Hopkins.

Golden Boy doesn't know? I thought that Bernard was President of Golden Boy East? Wouldn't that make it HIS job to promote those black fighters?

Yeah...always pointing the finger.
Romulus9
This has "great idea" written all over it.

Boring Bernard fighting for Don King with Bob Sheridan calling the action.

It's PERFECT!
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I really like Hopkins, but I bet the $5million to come to Australia to fight Danny Green doesn't sound too bad now after all.

laugh.gif

Was that how much he was getting offered?
grapevine241
sounds like an excellent idea if he wants his next fight to be in 2015 with tickets going on sale the night before the fight
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 14 2010, 11:54 PM) *
Was that how much he was getting offered?

Pretty much although tard shure would not be the draw Roy was out here. He is a idiot. I would have loved to see Green smash his fuckin head in. I would make sure to go with Fitz too. I missed the RJJ fight but I would not miss seeing Hopkins beatdown.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Well that is how much RJJ made fighting Green. Hopkins would be in a similar ballpark.

This is odd that he would sign with King, considering King is NOTORIOUS for not paying the fighters their guaranteed minimum purses.

I mean, shit that's a problem Chris Byrd (among many boxers) have had with him. He was guaranteed a certain number, and he NEVER got that, as far as I can remember. That's one of the big issues he had with King, and another was never getting fights, and sitting on the bench for long stretches at a time.
Method
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 14 2010, 08:27 PM) *
This is odd that he would sign with King, considering King is NOTORIOUS for not paying the fighters their guaranteed minimum purses.

I mean, shit that's a problem Chris Byrd (among many boxers) have had with him. He was guaranteed a certain number, and he NEVER got that, as far as I can remember. That's one of the big issues he had with King, and another was never getting fights, and sitting on the bench for long stretches at a time.

Hopkins was one of the fighters King is notorious for not paying the contracted minimum to. If Hopkins was pissed about sitting a year+ after the Pavlik fight, he might as well have himself frozen in carbonite while he awaits Don King to get him anything meaningful at this point. Hopkins needs to remember that he fought Joppy for $375K (minus the $50,000 bet). DOn King's fee (50%) was also a reason a lot of big fights didn't happen for Ex. The only reason Ex was able to do anything at middleweight with King finally was because King had Joppy, Holmes and Trinidad (two of the aforementioned three held the other belts at middleweight and while they did, King wouldnt let Hopkins anywhere near them until Hopkins signed w King). After the middleweight tournament, King had nobody, and we saw what happened as a result. Fast forward to 2010, and King is more irrelevant than Hopkins - he has NO fighters, and NO dates - read: NO leverage in the game. Two ways to get rid of Hopkins at this point (or try to) - Put him in the ring with Haye, or marry him up w Don King. I like his chances against Haye more than I like his chances w King.

Would seem he would have more options with the Jew from Harvard, being the yenta has more fighters/options for Hopkins. I dont think theres any way for King to be able to secure the kind(s) of fights for Hopkins that will get him paid the kind of money he is looking for. Fuck, Sign w Goosen for a 1 fight deal and get Toney...you can box circles around that fat fucking slob. Sign with Shaw for 1 fight and take on Dawson.

You'd think that with all the experience he has gotten over the years w all the promotors, and now as a "promotor" himself, that he knows what he's getting into, and fuck, I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes...but this seems like a dead end...perhaps fitting, if not ironic.
Big Slim Sweet
Does King have any notable heavyweights anymore? They were always his bread and butter.

What about Steve Cunningham, is he still with King?

Maybe a farewell fight in Philly?
Method
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 14 2010, 09:39 PM) *
Does King have any notable heavyweights anymore? They were always his bread and butter.

What about Steve Cunningham, is he still with King?

Maybe a farewell fight in Philly?

I guess, except Naazim trains both of 'em, no?
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Would seem he would have more options with the Jew from Harvard, being the yenta has more fighters/options for Hopkins. I dont think theres any way for King to be able to secure the kind(s) of fights for Hopkins that will get him paid the kind of money he is looking for. Fuck, Sign w Goosen for a 1 fight deal and get Toney...you can box circles around that fat fucking slob. Sign with Shaw for 1 fight and take on Dawson.

You'd think that with all the experience he has gotten over the years w all the promotors, and now as a "promotor" himself, that he knows what he's getting into, and fuck, I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes...but this seems like a dead end...perhaps fitting, if not ironic.

I certainly didn't see anything in the Roy fight that tells me he'd box circles around Toney. In fact, I'd be inclined to go with JT if they match up. I find it hard to believe that James would let B-Hop mug him all night like Roy did.

Maybe the Roy fight was just an off night but I'm not sure.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2010, 08:40 PM) *
I guess, except Naazim trains both of 'em, no?

LOL. Yeah, you may be right about that.
Michigan Assassin
And as far as signing with Shaw for the Dawson fight, I don't think GBP would have any trouble working with Shaw to make that fight happen. So B-Hop wouldn't even have to jump ship.

But IMO B-Hop doesn't want anything to do with that fight and GBP and Shaw know that.
Method
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ Apr 14 2010, 09:46 PM) *
And as far as signing with Shaw for the Dawson fight, I don't think GBP would have any trouble working with Shaw to make that fight happen. So B-Hop wouldn't even have to jump ship.

But IMO B-Hop doesn't want anything to do with that fight and GBP and Shaw know that.

For the right amount of money sure as shit he would. How much do you think that fight is worth?
Method
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ Apr 14 2010, 09:44 PM) *
I certainly didn't see anything in the Roy fight that tells me he'd box circles around Toney. In fact, I'd be inclined to go with JT if they match up. I find it hard to believe that James would let B-Hop mug him all night like Roy did.

Maybe the Roy fight was just an off night but I'm not sure.

Roy and Toney are night and day. Toney doesn't have Roy's speed and tar in winter time moves faster than Toney. Hopkins wouldnt have to "mug" him. He'd box circles around him. Styles make fights.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Roy and Toney are night and day. Toney doesn't have Roy's speed and tar in winter time moves faster than Toney. Hopkins wouldnt have to "mug" him. He'd box circles around him. Styles make fights.

My point is I don't think Bernard can't box circles around anyone that isn't a statue. ie a Pavlik-type plodding style

I agree that I'm not sure what Hopkins - Dawson is worth but I think that is the problem. If GBP can't find the money to make it happen there is no way that Shaw can handle the total cost.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2010, 10:10 PM) *
If it's money he wants, he should go back and see Danny Green and tell him he has a change of heart.

I don't know man... Danny Green has been on a roll lately. He's been knocking dudes out left and right. Did you see the Siaca fight? was it brutal?
grapevine241
a good fight for b-hop would have been against adamek for the lineal championship at crusierweight, but adamek moved up so thats no good anymore. i doubt he would fight cunningham (who doesnt have the titles anyways) because they are both trained by naazim richardson
JD
It's time for Bernard to accept that there is not a market for him anymore.

Bow out gracefully...say you have done all that you can and move on. Don't be forced out by the sport, because soon enough he is going to realize that he cannot get dates anymore.
Hops
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ Apr 15 2010, 02:13 AM) *
My point is I don't think Bernard can't box circles around anyone that isn't a statue. ie a Pavlik-type plodding style

I thought I've seen him against Roy. But I guess you'd simply add that besides a statue, Hops can also box circles around someone who doesn't punch. You maybe right. Maybe.
Hops
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 15 2010, 05:13 AM) *
It's time for Bernard to accept that there is not a market for him anymore.

Bow out gracefully...say you have done all that you can and move on. Don't be forced out by the sport, because soon enough he is going to realize that he cannot get dates anymore.

Don't you wanna see him get knocked out?
JD
QUOTE (Hops @ Apr 15 2010, 01:17 AM) *
Don't you wanna see him get knocked out?

No...not at all. I am a Hopkins fan, always have been (though I have no interest in seeing him in a ring ever again)...I want to see him move on with his career, leave the dates for the younger fighters, and enter the hall on the first ballot.

He should have gotten out after beating Tarver...he hung on, so he had another chance after Pavlik to leave on top. He has still hung on, and now he beat Roy which is something I guess he had to do for himself.
Hops
Well, I'm a big Hopkins' fan. He's always in front of his opponent. He's always giving his opponent opportunites to knock him out. If they can't do the job, then that's their problem. I want to find out Hopkins' limits. He should fight a heavyweight. Even if it's a fight equivalent only to Roy-Ruiz.
JD
I dunno...I don't need to see him fight one fight too many.

It is unfair to gauge his limits now, because they have changed dramatically from when he was at his best...he is 45. He won't fight Haye or either of the Klitschkos, which is a good thing to me. He could conceivably fight Adamek if he beats Arreola...though there is no strap to be had. To me, i just don't need to see it.

Hopkins should make nice with GBP and make some money to pay the bills by going to fights and doing some instigating to cement his role in the promotional group.
Hops
I agree with the "we don't need to see em all".

I've never seen Hopkins get hurt. I'll probably wait for that moment before I start telling he needs to quit. I'll watch his fights, but not buy them. I'd buy the fight against Holy, Toney, Haye.
WindyCityP
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 14 2010, 07:00 PM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif

WTF is going on here?

Details? No more Golden Boy?

What Hype just said.
BigG
Danny Green giving Hopkins a beatdown? Wow you Green sure are overrating him for beating the SHELL of Jones Jr. Why not let him fight the top Cruiserweights. Streve Cunningham would beat the fuck out of him.
Method
He's always giving his opponent opportunities to knock him out. If they can't do the job, then that's their problem. I want to find out Hopkins' limits.

More or less.

...and it's more like Haye wont fight Hopkins...and who could blame him...after what happened to John Ruiz...dont get it twisted, Haye and Ruiz, style-wise, are night and day, but Haye has a lot more to lose vs Hopkins than he does to gain. The payday he would get against Klit in Europe eclipses anything else Haye can do elsewhere, so why fucking risk it, even for "perceived" easy money.

I dont guage what Ex has left based on the rematch w Jones anymore than I guaged what he had left based on the Wright fight.

I'd rather see Hopkins get his ass handed to him or to keep winning until he does (or decides he's had enough).

Fighters don't retire from the ring, the ring retires fighters.

That said, he has to realize that he needs to come down on his asking price. You're not entitled to multiple 7-figure paydays just because you want them. You're worth what the market says you're worth.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2010, 10:27 PM) *
I sense a hint of sarcasm. Yes I watched the fight, and no the fight was not brutal because Siaca didn't allow it to become brutal. He got dropped nicely in the second, then he started complaining and looking for a way out. He got tagged again in the 3rd round, dropped and he stayed down for the 10 when he could clearly have got up.
Siaca pretty much quit, so he didn't allow it to end to brutally for him.

LOL... I wasn't being an ass about it. I read that Green got another EARLY KO a thought that someone should bring it up. Good for him... I really like Green believe or not. Can he still make 175?
JD
Haye has nothing to gain by fighting Hopkins...but even if he wanted to fight him, I don't think Hopkins would fight Haye. Moving over to DK is definitely not a way to get the Haye fight.

Hopkins is talking Bute now...
Method
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 15 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Haye has nothing to gain by fighting Hopkins...but even if he wanted to fight him, I don't think Hopkins would fight Haye. Moving over to DK is definitely not a way to get the Haye fight.

Hopkins is talking Bute now...

I definitely think he wants Haye. I dont think he'd call him out, bot in print AND in the ring immediately after the Jones fight, if he didnnt want the fight. It just doesnt fit the M.O. Besides, Haye crushing the prospect of a Hopkins fight pretty much stops it dead in its tracks.

Moving over to DK is not the way to get ANY fight, as far as I can see, esp given the things he had to do to get out from under King in the past. I think he'd be better served getting w Top Rank.
JD
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 15 2010, 11:58 AM) *
I definitely think he wants Haye. I dont think he'd call him out, bot in print AND in the ring immediately after the Jones fight, if he didnnt want the fight. It just doesnt fit the M.O. Besides, Haye crushing the prospect of a Hopkins fight pretty much stops it dead in its tracks.

Moving over to DK is not the way to get ANY fight, as far as I can see, esp given the things he had to do to get out from under King in the past. I think he'd be better served getting w Top Rank.

At least in my view, if he really wanted Haye, this song and dance with DK would be the last thing he would get into...especially since Haye is a GBP fighter. All the talk is great, but this public gripe he has with GBP makes me believe he really does not want a Haye fight.

I just don't get how Bernard is going to fight the very system he has become a part of.

I think he should just make nice with GBP...make some money to pay the bills...and end a storied career. Nothing left to do...he has a chance to be one of he guys that didn't let the sport beat him.
TRU
There wouldn't be a better fit in boxing than for Hopkins to sign with King... just as Barrera did.

Amusing stuff for sure.

If he did this, Golden Boy would have gotten off easy...
Method
At least in my view, if he really wanted Haye, this song and dance with DK would be the last thing he would get into...

I think the prospect of Haye died when Haye came out and pretty much Kiboshed any chance of it...which was well before talk of signing w DK. It also didn't help matters any when Schaefer said he would have nothing to do w it either.
JD
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 15 2010, 12:15 PM) *
There wouldn't be a better fit in boxing than for Hopkins to sign with King... just as Barrera did.

Amusing stuff for sure.

I pretty much see it that same way as it relates to GBP getting off easy. Schaefar has basically said...go ahead...sign with whoever you want.

One less pay check to cut and personality to deal with. Plus, they don't have to worry about making him happy.
Method

Amusing stuff for sure.

He might like being thrown in a grave w Jones over being thrown in a grave w the High Haired One.
JD
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 15 2010, 12:16 PM) *
I think the prospect of Haye died when Haye came out and pretty much Kiboshed any chance of it...which was well before talk of signing w DK. It also didn't help matters any when Schaefer said he would have nothing to do w it either.

Until a Klitschko fight is signed...I would think that Hopkins would still see the potential for a Haye fight happening as being there - even if it is extremely slight.

Add DK to the mix, and even the slightest potential becomes a non-starter.
Method
It's not there. If Haye says "No chance", and Schaefer says, "No chance", what the fuck more else do you need to hear? Its not like you can afford to sit around waiting for the "slightest" of chances to play out. Just my opinion. I dont deny that signing w King, should it happen, makes it more "less likely", but if its dead its dead anyway.

Does King control Holyfield at this point? God I hope those two dont fight.
TRU
Hopkins should fight Valuev.

It's a perfect fight for him... he would be EXPECTED to fight ugly to win.

Haye did it...
Method
That would be pretty funny. If he had an issue with MMA and guys in tights, imagine how he would feel about that fucking smelly gorilla of a Russian.
JD
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 15 2010, 12:23 PM) *
It's not there. If Haye says "No chance", and Schaefer says, "No chance", what the fuck more else do you need to hear? Its not like you can afford to sit around waiting for the "slightest" of chances to play out. Just my opinion. I dont deny that signing w King, should it happen, makes it more "less likely", but if its dead its dead anyway.

Does King control Holyfield at this point? God I hope those two dont fight.

What else I need is for Haye to make a move in a different direction in the form of a signed contract - though we know he walked away from two of those over the past year as well.

It wouldn't be the first time we have heard "no chance" on a fight, and it still ended up happening.

If Haye wanted to stay busy against a non-puncher at heavy, Hopkins could be an ideal type of opponent...regardless of his initial stance on the fight. And if both guys are with GBP, it is very makeable. I mean, it is not going to be much longer before we know what Haye is going to do...why not wait until after that happens before blowing this whole thing up?

As for Holyfield...man...who knows. That fight would be awful...two dudes closer to 60 than 30.
D-MARV
Hopkins Vs Dawson is the only fight I'm interested in.
TRU
Signing with King is the king of moronic moves...
JD
QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 15 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Signing with King is the king of moronic moves...

DK does not have ONE Light Heavy in his stable...NOT ONE.

For all intents and purposes, he doesn't have any heavy's either, sans Valuev.

Hop - Tito 2!
TRU
I do smell Hopkins-Trinidad II actually...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.