Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs Martinez (Preview and Poll Added.)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PR316
(Admin notes: Poll added, made preview thread and pinned.)

This Saturday, my friends.

I like Martinez via UD. Faster(Both of hand and foot), more skilled, and a southpaw.

Pavlik to me has regressed since the Hopkins fight. In his two fights post Hopkins, he has not improved at all. Then the whole fiasco with Williams, and it seems he's taking this fight to try to send a message to P-Will but I think its gonna backfire. Stylewise, I don't think this is a good fight for Pavlik. He won't have much of a target to hit.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (PR316 @ Apr 14 2010, 05:26 PM) *
This Saturday, my friends.

I like Martinez via UD. Faster(Both of hand and foot), more skilled, and a southpaw.

Pavlik to me has regressed since the Hopkins fight. In his two fights post Hopkins, he has not improved at all. Then the whole fiasco with Williams, and it seems he's taking this fight to try to send a message to P-Will but I think its gonna backfire. Stylewise, I don't think this is a good fight for Pavlik. He won't have much of a target to hit.

Agreed. Also, the only way Pavlik is effective is if you stand in front of him and trade shots. Hopkins showed everyone how to beat Pavlik. Stick and Move.
Michigan Assassin
I tend to agree on Sergio having some physical advantages he can use to exploit Pavlik's plodding style but if he think he can fight Kelly like he did Paul Williams (who isn't nearly the puncher that Pavlik is) he's is going to get KTFO.

I'm not sure Martinez can seriously hurk Pavlik either. If he fight a smart fight and sticks to his gameplan SM has a legit shot at becoming Middleweight Champion of the World.

I do want to give props to KP for taking such a tough fight when he is coming back from his staph infection layoff.

Should be a good fight. And Bute should knock the shit out of Miranda in hte co-feature.
Snoop
I don't like Pavlik. Hopkins exposed him for the basic fighter that he is. 1-2-3 is pretty much the only combo he's ever learned. I'll be rooting for Martinez in this one.
STEVENSKI
Who is this kelly chick? I bet she is ugly as fuck & drinks too much. Fitz would bang her though cause he ain't choosy if she is buying the woodies
D-MARV
I'm picking Matinez by a close decision with a few scary spots in there.

Martinez will need to circle to his right and keep Pavlik guessing. When the two do engage, Martinez HAS to get off first. Pavlik is will be much bigger and stronger in the fight so Martinez will have to work like HELL to keep him off of him. I think that if Martinez can stay discipline and not slow down the stretch then he can win this fight going away.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 14 2010, 07:29 PM) *
I'm picking Matinez by a close decision with a few scary spots in there.

Martinez will need to circle to his right and keep Pavlik guessing. When the two do engage, Martinez HAS to get off first. Pavlik is will be much bigger and stronger in the fight so Martinez will have to work like HELL to keep him off of him. I think that if Martinez can stay discipline and not slow down the stretch then he can win this fight going away.

That's a good point; can he stay disciplined? Personally I don't like how he hold his hands so low especially if it's going to be against a puncher like Pavlik. Paul Williams hit Martinez a lot during their fight and although Martinez is slick, he's no Hopkins is the guile department. He also faded a bit against Williams and resorted to a lot of holding. The good thing he has going for him is that he pot shots guys and Pavlik has been dropped before. Let's not forget that Martinez has heavy hands and he can drop Pavlik.

Keith
Pavlik, Pavlik, Pavlik.

Sergio is overated in the boxing skills department. He will move around and cause KP some problems early but he will tire trying to outmanuvere the bigger, stronger fighter. Hopkins did outmanuvere KP, but a lot of that work came at close range... thats not Sergio's game. He moves well at distance.

Also, Sergio a fighter at heart and will resort to exchanging by the middle rounds once he tires some..... and get tagged with some brutal 1-2's.

Comparing Sergio moving up from 154 to face KP at 160 is vastly different then KP moving up to 170 to face Hopkins.
kidbazooka1
Im pumped for this one. As long as Martinez can fight his fight for 12 rds i see him takeing a comfortable UD but you can't count Pavlik out his power can end things at any given time.

Douchebag
Martinez by KO, book it. Kelly is going to get caught trying to be impressive and then BAM a big left hand is going to have him doing the chicken dance like Taylor 1 except Sergio finishes the big palucka.
Method
I like Pavlik by late stoppage or dec, and I'm laying money on Pavs to win.
SmartyBeardo
SMartinez is a true warrior. I have him high on my P4P list. His warrior spirit will be his undoing in this one.

He will dominate the early going with his speed and movement. He will rock and possibly drop Pavlik in the first three rounds. Then he will move in for the kill and Pavlik will catch him. SMartinez will slow and Pavlik will walk (and wear) him down, putting him to sleep after 6.

This is a poor choice for a followup to the PWill fight.

I hope I am wrong.

Bute wins by DQ.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2010, 02:52 AM) *
I put money on Martinez by decision + Bute to win in a multi.

So you gonna be drinking woodies during the fight?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 15 2010, 12:24 AM) *
So you gonna be drinking woodies during the fight?

I think Fitz already has a woodie over the PBF v SSM fight.
King Eugene
The only reason Martinez was willing to exchange with PWill cause his punches weren't really effecting Martinez. That KD was a flash KD. Martinez is going to box circles around this chump. He WILL get caught a few times but I believe his chin is underrated. He took some pretty good shots from Williams and kept it moving. Williams dont have the power of Pavlik but Martinez still wont be affected. We'll get Martinez vs. Williams in the late fall fighting for the undisputed MW title.

I got Bute by KO6
The Original MrFactor
I was really looking forward to this one. I think Martinez takes it. I think he stops Pavlik in the 10th.
tymoney
Martinez takes it UD.. Pavlik looked completely lost in his fight with Hopkins. So theres no way in hell he beat a slicker southpaw. I will give him a punchers chance cuz he got da power to change a fight, and Martinez did fade in da late rounds with PWill.. but Pwill throws a million more punches then Pavlik do so I dont think that will happen again.
BigG
I think Pavlik by late KO after being outboxed for most of the early-middle rounds.
D-MARV
QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 15 2010, 06:22 AM) *
I think Pavlik by late KO after being outboxed for most of the early-middle rounds.

This is what I'm afraid of.
Big Slim Sweet
Martinez is quick but he likes to exchange too much. He's slick offensively but not that slick defensively. He's older than people realize and tends to gas in spots. Plus he's only four months removed from an extremely grueling fight with Williams. I think a lot of factors are playing against him here.

I think Pavlik knocks him out somewhere around 8-10. I expect it to be impressive and to get Kelly some of his mojo back in the boxing world.

Bute over Miranda all day. This should be easy work for him.
JD
Best fight of the year so far...best fight on the first half of the 2010 calendar in my view.
Method
I'm pulling for Pavlik Big Time this year.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 15 2010, 01:30 PM) *
Best fight of the year so far...best fight on the first half of the 2010 calendar in my view.

Very good fight indeed.

Adamek Vs Arreola should be a decent scrap as well.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 15 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Very good fight indeed.

Adamek Vs Arreola should be a decent scrap as well.

Agreed...that fight cannot miss.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm also really excited about this fight card. Both fights on the card have the potential to be explosive. I actually like Pavlik by KO in this one. I initially picked Martinez by wide decision, then really thought about it. Pavlik said something in an interview that really caught my eye. I believe he said that Martinez looks faster than he is because he just throws from all angles. However, he is very hittable. Williams, Cintron, and Margarito were all able to put hands on him. He was dropped against Williams as well. Martinez is a solid boxer, but Pavlik is being underrated a bit. Sure, Hopkins schooled him, but look what he did to Taylor before he was finished. Martinez is going to get caught up in one of those exchanges, and I don't see him taking that big right hand from Kelly. Martinez may win the early rounds with his speed and activity, but he'll be losing the war. Look for Pavlik to go to the body in the early going, and get Martinez to slug it out with him. Pavlik will land one of those bombs in the middle rounds, and I dont' see Martinez recovering. Should be a good one.
Jack 1000
Going with Pavlik by close decision,

Pavlik's big loss to Hopkins was still at a time when Hopkins still showed competitiveness. It's lightyears to compare Bernard than to what just happened in Jones II. Leave that to great fighters just getting old overnight. Obviously, both will bring pressure and I like the work-rate of Martinez a little better than Pavlik but I think Pavlik can and could connect with the harder single shots. Pavlik has to bring his very best to this fight and I think he will do that! However, if the Hopkins fight and a negative pressure situation from that match got into Pavlik's head, Kelly could be in trouble.

I would bet conservatively, because this is a hard fight to call. You beat Pavlik by out-boxing him, but I will go with Pavlik in a brawl taking a majority decision, 114-114 and 115-113 (twice) on the cards. I hope the judges aren't influenced by Pavlik being the big name, with HBO trying to get him back into the spotlight and just automatically give Pavlik close rounds so that we get some lopsided cards. (Pierre Benoit, 119-110 Williams, in a fight as close and hard to score as they come and one of the most laughable scorecards in the history of the sport.)

But I think in this fight it will be close and the judging will be fair across the board.

Jack
Method
I like Pavlik by late stoppage and I don't believe he will be down on the cards either. I also don't discount Pavlik planting Martinez on the seat of his pants in the early rounds either.
The CEO
From our thread when it was signed...

QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 16 2010, 11:46 AM) *
I have to go with Pavlik...probably by TKO9.

I said before Martinez' fight with Williams that his only problem was that he was gettin' old...well, I think that fight took a lot out of him...he had to reach for a 3rd, 4th wind that night....so I figure he's got 4 things workin' against him....

1. His age is showing.

2. It's at 160.

3. Pavlik's body/power shots sapping him of his energy.

4. Politics.

Yeah...Martinez' success with his particular style relies HEAVILY on youth/freshness...and Pavlik's shots WILL hurt him, regardless of where they land...

It's a shame he peaked so late and was robbed against Cintron and Williams like that...I certainly hope it's not as brutal as I think it's gonna be.....
1zz
Pavlik will thuddingly KO SM within 6 rounds.
ViperSniper
Sergio Martinez made a fan out of me in FOTY candidate against Williams as I thought he beat The Punisher, a fighter I really like in a close but clear fight. With a frantic pace of action against Williams, Martinez showed a lot of flash & toughness in a very relaxed manner which was even more impressive.

Pavlik is a big middleweight with strength who comes forward with power in the right but has always been a hype job with very little to offer inside the ring. If Martinez can do his thing without being drawn into a fight by firing from the outside & using the movement he showed against Paul Williams he should beat Pavlik & look really good doing so in the process.

I'm just hoping Martinez isn't really as old as some have claimed he really is despite appearance as he did receive a lot of leather in his last fight against Williams but seemed to have fought through to the final bell.

Martinez in his biggest win of his career in impressive fashion.
Thegreatequalizer
i like martinez and i enjoy his style and heart. i think he's going to end up being outgunned in this one though. pavlik is a good body puncher and i think he'll wear down martinez and ko him in the later rounds (maybe 10th), with martinez looking good early on.

i fully expect bute to dominate miranda, but of course, miranda has that punchers chance.
Col Reb
Once Miranda loses, bring on Mayorga! That would be a fun one to watch, both in and out of the ring.
Imperius3
I think Martinez will edge a close one, but it's gonna be a war. Pavlik WILL land that powerful right hand. It's gonna be a damn good fight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.