Sakio Bika
Robert Stieglitz
Librado Andrade
Dimitri Sartison
Allan Green
Jermain Taylor
Eduard Gutknecht
Edison Miranda

Maybe marginally deeper in terms of competition but certainly nowhere near as deep in terms of quality.
blackbelt2003
The welter's have a higher standard of fighter and bigger names, but you could throw any two of that 168 top ten together and get a guaranteed good fight (except if Andre Dirrell is involved, of course).

I hope the first thing the winner of the Super Six does is take on Bute to put all the belts together.

Black
JD
Welter is EXTREMELY top heavy

Manny Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather
Shane Mosley
Antonio Margarito
Andre Berto
Joshua Clottey
Luis Collazo
Luis Carlos Abregu
Zab Judah
Alfonso Gomez
Saul Alvarez
Thegreatequalizer
welter has a higher p4p ranking at the top, but i think 168 is a deeper division. chad dawson was even talking about moving down which would possibly make it the best division at that point. i actually think 140 is the deepest at the moment, though. there's a lot going on there.
Snoop
I think the Super Six tournament is making the division appear more talented than it actually is, or the welter weight division is just getting too much exposure.
Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Apr 18 2010, 09:23 AM) *
I hope the first thing the winner of the Super Six does is take on Bute to put all the belts together.

Black

Even if he beats the eventual winner of the super six, unless he does it in spectacular fashion, I can't give him the kudos I'll give to the tournament winner. Reason being, he's spending his time facing lesser opposition whilst these other fighters are all slugging it out with each other, taking the toughest possible bouts.

Say Ward wins the tournament and then gets edged by Bute in a close fight. Ward will have gone through a series of much tougher fights prior to facing Bute which, in theory could have taken a little out of him, whilst Bute cherry picks his opposition. How would Bute fair against the never say die attitude of Froch, the concussive power of Abraham, the awkwardness of Dirrell or the heavy handed Green? Whatever he does in the future, his legacy is tarnished by not entering this tournament.
Snoop
Why is it that Bute isn't in the tournament? Was it the fault of Showtime or Bute not wanting to be part of it?
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Maxy @ Apr 18 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Even if he beats the eventual winner of the super six, unless he does it in spectacular fashion, I can't give him the kudos I'll give to the tournament winner. Reason being, he's spending his time facing lesser opposition whilst these other fighters are all slugging it out with each other, taking the toughest possible bouts.

Say Ward wins the tournament and then gets edged by Bute in a close fight. Ward will have gone through a series of much tougher fights prior to facing Bute which, in theory could have taken a little out of him, whilst Bute cherry picks his opposition. How would Bute fair against the never say die attitude of Froch, the concussive power of Abraham, the awkwardness of Dirrell or the heavy handed Green? Whatever he does in the future, his legacy is tarnished by not entering this tournament.

I wholeheartedly agree. -f more did what the Super SIx are doing in boxing it would be a better place!

Black
Col Reb
I think it was because of his HBO contract. I'll tell you what, Calzaghe got out at the right time, although I'd pick him against any of these guys at 168.
ViperSniper
168 has a much deeper division than 147 at the moment as the list shows it has a lot of very competitive 50/50 match ups with more fighters in it. Thinking about it, it probably is the deepest in the sport.

With the division being mixed with Americans, Europeans & some Latins it makes for more diversity in styles & match-ups which makes the match-ups more interesting. It also forces fighters to get out of their comfort zone once in a while & cross over the water to fight the best in their home country which makes for different, exciting atmospheres to your usual fights.

The Welterweight division has got the edge in the higher quality of fighters in the division as it also the bigger stars of the sport. Not to mention the top 3 Pound-for Pound fighters in the world are all in the one division which I donít recall the last time that ever happening?

The best divisions in boxing at the moment are 147, 168 & 140.
Fitz
I would say 168 has the edge in the deeper division, though the top 3 at welter are a higher quality than the top 3 at super middle. Though 168 is more interesting because it is a real possibility for everyone to fight one another. At welter, the top guys are all at there snobby stage, and will be very unlikely they will fight a range of fighters below them.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 18 2010, 11:11 AM) *
I think the Super Six tournament is making the division appear more talented than it actually is, or the welter weight division is just getting too much exposure.

I think the division is very talented..Years ago I said super middle and cruiser are the underground division that will shine once they get some light..Super middle now got a tournament and cruiserweight was the weight class on the contender..Cruiser still has a ways to go to get in the spotlight but super middle is def. in it..

Andre Ward and Bute are 2 of my favorite fighters in boxing right now because of their skill..Bute and Ward both have very different styles but both box beautifully..Ward is pure skill while Bute is a combo of skill and power..It'd be a great fight if it ever happens..Bute is a real good size for super middle and that will cause people a lot of problems..

Welter is both talented and has a lot of exposure..Nothin wrong with that..Welter will always be a weight class that gets exposure,it goes back to the early 1900s..
Thegreatequalizer
i really think 140 has a strong case for deepest division:

timothy bradley
nate campbell
devon alexander
marcos maidana
amir khan
pauli malignaggi
demitrius hopkins
junior witter
juan urango
kendall holt
victor ortiz
joel casamayor

as well as some undefeated fighters i'm not familiar with
RyanTical
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Apr 19 2010, 07:42 PM) *
i really think 140 has a strong case for deepest division:

timothy bradley
nate campbell
devon alexander
marcos maidana
amir khan
pauli malignaggi
demitrius hopkins
junior witter
juan urango
kendall holt
victor ortiz
joel casamayor

as well as some undefeated fighters i'm not familiar with

You read my mind. Throw in some 135 pounders whom could make 140 and you have some great fights. However, 168 could be tied for 4th or 3rd, given your opinion on the 154lb division.

I view it like 147 = 140 > 154 > 168.

Andre Dirrel, Andre Ward are still pretty much prospects in my mind. Neither of them could do any real damage to the fighters whom already cemented themselves in that division: Allan Green, Chad Dawson, Arthur Abraham*, Carl Froch, Lucian Bute. I wouldn't mind seeing Pavlik or Williams make the jump either. Great talent at 168.

With the exception of Dirrel, whom I thought defeated Froch, is a completely different story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.