Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd @ 160?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
Floyd would have outboxed the Pavlik that showed up for last night's fight.
Big Slim Sweet
Maybe so, but he wouldn't have outboxed the Martinez that did.
Maxy
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 18 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Maybe so, but he wouldn't have outboxed the Martinez that did.

Agreed.
Col Reb
I was thinking the same thing. Floyd could have owned Pavlik when he was hot; it would have been a huge feather in PBF's cap.
Big Slim Sweet
In retrospect, there may have been several guys from welter who possibly could have come up to 160 after Pavlik beat Taylor twice and had a shot at beating him and making history.
Aware
Mayweather beats any version of Martinez! If he beats Mosley and the Pac negotiations fall through again, he should fight Martinez.
JD
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 18 2010, 09:27 PM) *
It would be a great fight between whoever wins on May 1 and SMartinez. Sergio has the heart of a wolverine.

Sergio would embarrass Mosley and handle Floyd.
King Eugene
Floyds not beating Martinez. He's not active enough. He'd have to be willing to stand in the pocket and let his hands go and he hasn't done that since N'Dou. Martinez is just as fast and he is a southpaw. Martinez beats the ever living shit out of Shane. laugh.gif
JD
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 18 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Floyds not beating Martinez. He's not active enough. He'd have to be willing to stand in the pocket and let his hands go and he hasn't done that since N'Dou. Martinez is just as fast and he is a southpaw. Martinez beats the ever living shit out of Shane. laugh.gif

Martinez - Mosley would not be competitive.
PR316
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 19 2010, 02:28 AM) *

To me Mayweather-Martinez is 50-50... Very hard fight to call.

He boxes the hell out of Mosley easily.

Pacquiao-Mayweather I slightly favor Manny at this point.
Col Reb
What is Martinez's next best option? Stay at 160 or go back to 154? I would imagine Williams is next, unless he can get a bigger fight.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 18 2010, 10:09 PM) *
What is Martinez's next best option? Stay at 160 or go back to 154? I would imagine Williams is next, unless he can get a bigger fight.

Rematch with the Ghost and then Williams at 160. That will prolly take two years right there.lol. By that time he will be pushing 40 and his career nearly over.
Col Reb
I don't think the rematch with Pavlik happens. Kelly will go to 168; it's a better option for everyone involved. If Martinez can get a Mosley or Mayweather to move up, Paul Williams can wait.
D-MARV
LMAO... Floyd better stay at 147 and fight Mosley and Pacquiao. He's going to take an L against Martinez OR Williams.
kingknockout
all the people in here that thinks martinez can beat mayweather at the same weight don't know boxing.

i understand you want the man to lose but please. Martinez isn't THAT damn good...if you're going to name anybody that can beat mayweather they gotta be amazing in the ring.
kingknockout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 18 2010, 10:37 PM) *
LMAO... Floyd better stay at 147 and fight Mosley and Pacquiao. He's going to take an L against Martinez OR Williams.

paul williams defense is fucking shit, and mayweather s too fucking sharp.

if martinez can catch paul with hooks back to back, what you think mayweather is going to do?
gbh32001
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Apr 19 2010, 11:54 AM) *
paul williams defense is fucking shit, and mayweather s too fucking sharp.

if martinez can catch paul with hooks back to back, what you think mayweather is going to do?
Floyd can move up to Heavyweight and still can outbox his opponent for a shutout 12rnd decision.Klitscho have no chance,down to Marinez.Even the greatest Sugar Ray Robinson will not able to land a clean punch against Floyd.
Col Reb
Martinez needs to cash in on a big fight while everyone is so high on him. These opportunities do not come around that often. If I were him, I'd keep a profile in the media and be noncommittal until May 2. At that point, he should look to land the winner of May-Mosley. If that does not work out, he should rematch Williams, unless he can entice bigger fish. I think Pavlik moves up in weight and Pac will keep it in the Top Rank family. But whatever he does, now is the time to call out the biggest of cash cows.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 19 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Look, I have SMartinez rated higher than SSM, PBF and PacMeow. That said, the winner May 1 would not be embarassed by SMartinez. Sergio is quick and tough, but he is very hittable.

SMartinez is fast but not as fast as PBF.

The lack of respect for SSM is laughable. You people are delusional. SMartinez out-boxed a much slower and less busy fighter in Pavlik. I am not taking anything away from him. I thought he would be stopped late.

SSM destroyed a much busier and just as heavy handed fighter in Margarito. SSM is just as fast as SMartinez. His defense is comparable.

I am not saying who would win between the two, but I do not believe SSM would be destroyed. I think it would be a great battle.

Maybe, maybe not. I also have PWill rated above PBF, SSM and PacMeow P4P, but the winner May 1 leapfrogs both PWill and SMartinez.

Excellent post. Mosley gets no fucking respect. Martinez didn't destroy and embarrass Cintron, it was a decent scrap that SM deserved the win, but it's not like Cintron was totally owned. To say he kills Mosley is laughable. Just like he killed PW too. I HATE Floyd, but style wise I see PBF beating Martinez.

Fitz
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Apr 19 2010, 01:53 PM) *
all the people in here that thinks martinez can beat mayweather at the same weight don't know boxing.

i understand you want the man to lose but please. Martinez isn't THAT damn good...if you're going to name anybody that can beat mayweather they gotta be amazing in the ring.

Did you hear that everyone? Everyone in here doesn't know boxing, because respected member 'kingknockout' from fighthype boxing forum said so.
D-MARV
Sergio Martinez would beat both Mayweather and Mosley. Case closed! I give Mayweather a 40% chance and I would give Mosley less than 10%.

If that means that I don't know boxing THAN so be it. Too bad that Mayweather would never let us see this match up.
Douchebag
I said this shit right after Sergio beat PWill. Sergio would beat Floyd on points. Bigger, mobile, just as fast, very skilled, very smart, excelent condition and a southpaw on top of all of that<-----That is just to hard of a riddle for Floyd to solve.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 19 2010, 07:49 AM) *
I said this shit right after Sergio beat PWill. Sergio would beat Floyd on points. Bigger, mobile, just as fast, very skilled, very smart, excelent condition and a southpaw on top of all of that<-----That is just to hard of a riddle for Floyd to solve.

When did Martinez beat PWill?
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 19 2010, 09:28 AM) *
When did Martinez beat PWill?

In my eyes and many others he deserved that W. So even though on the books he lost I choose look at it as him being screwed.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 19 2010, 09:55 AM) *
In my eyes and many others he deserved that W. So even though on the books he lost I choose look at it as him being screwed.

Gotcha.

In my eyes and many others, it was a Highly contested fight that could have gone both ways. A draw would have been the best outcome.
oozemcbuck
If Floyd looks SPECTACULAR May 1st, I wonder how many people will change their minds about Martinez/Floyd ? We'll see. I thought Martinez looked good, but far from great. And it was against Kelly " I'm here to be hit" Pavlik. Don't get carried away now. Martinez IS a tough fight for anyone, but C'mon, even Quintana whooped Williams the 1st time. Maybe Williams SMOKES Martinez in a rematch the same way he did Quintana ? I'm not buying it , yet, from Serg, but i will watch him fight because he's the type of fighter to bring fans to the sport.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 19 2010, 07:12 AM) *
Did you hear that everyone? Everyone in here doesn't know boxing, because respected member 'kingknockout' from fighthype boxing forum said so.

I'd take that fom most people on this forum cos there are a lot of people on here that put my boxing knowledge to shame, but a blatant Floyd nuthugger who is cringeworthy enough to quote king of the huggers MarzB in his sig isnt one of them.

I'm interested to see what PWill does if he beats Cintron. Should find out somethin about him based off what he does about Martinez. He better not avoid the much called for rematch after all the whining he does about how hes so avoided
Big Slim Sweet
After he KO's Mosley in the 1st round, Floyd should go up to heavyweight and KO both Klitschkos.

Sergio should go up to the heavens for his next fight and KO God.

Only then should Floyd and Sergio square off for unification.

The winner faces Frans Botha for all the marbles.
RyanTical
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 18 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Sergio reminded me of a a slightly busier version of Corey Spinks. If Mayweather vs a busy opponent makes for a boring fight in the eyes of most people then I'm sure Mayweather vs Martinez would be something similiar to taking two Tylenol PM's and chasing it down with Nyquil.

However, for the sake of conversation. Martinez would be an interesting opponent, but Mayweather is just too smart to let a fighter like Martinez get the jump on him and win the fight. It would be a sight for sore eyes, but ultimately Floyd would come out with the decision victory. 160 is a pretty open division for a fighter like Floyd to make the move and just cause complete mayhem, but I think the more technical, busier and bigger names rest at 154. Perfect weight for Floyd, IMO.
King Eugene
I don't think Floyd has seen enough of Martinez(since he claims to not watch film) to decide whether or not the risk is worth the reward. Besides when Floyd beats Shane he's going to be focused on that payday against Manny. His reason for not jumping up to 160 will be there isn't enough money in the fight. If Martinez beats Williams next, Floyd beats Shane, and Manny runs for office and win I could see Floyd either going after Cotto for his 154 title after he defeats Foreman.

I just don't see a Floyd vs. Martinez fight no where in the near future unless its two or three years from now but damn look how old Martinez would be then. We'd get a Floyd vs. PWill fight at 154 before we get a Floyd vs. Martinez fight.
RyanTical
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 20 2010, 12:48 AM) *
I don't think Floyd has seen enough of Martinez(since he claims to not watch film) to decide whether or not the risk is worth the reward. Besides when Floyd beats Shane he's going to be focused on that payday against Manny. His reason for not jumping up to 160 will be there isn't enough money in the fight. If Martinez beats Williams next, Floyd beats Shane, and Manny runs for office and win I could see Floyd either going after Cotto for his 154 title after he defeats Foreman.

I just don't see a Floyd vs. Martinez fight no where in the near future unless its two or three years from now but damn look how old Martinez would be then. We'd get a Floyd vs. PWill fight at 154 before we get a Floyd vs. Martinez fight.

True. Fans would definitely push for a Mayweather vs P-Will event. For sure. If Mayweather went after Martinez, it would create more controversy behind Mayweather ducking P-Will and going straight for someone who is less of a threat. Even though I don't see Martinez as less of or more of a threat than P-Will. Both men create interesting challenges for Floyd, however, Floyd would have a less stressful time figuring out P-Will than he would Martinez, IMHO.
Douchebag
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 03:58 AM) *
True. Fans would definitely push for a Mayweather vs P-Will event. For sure. If Mayweather went after Martinez, it would create more controversy behind Mayweather ducking P-Will and going straight for someone who is less of a threat. Even though I don't see Martinez as less of or more of a threat than P-Will. Both men create interesting challenges for Floyd, however, Floyd would have a less stressful time figuring out P-Will than he would Martinez, IMHO.

Not after Sergio beats P-Will in the rematch.
JD
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Sergio reminded me of a a slightly busier version of Corey Spinks. If Mayweather vs a busy opponent makes for a boring fight in the eyes of most people then I'm sure Mayweather vs Martinez would be something similiar to taking two Tylenol PM's and chasing it down with Nyquil.

However, for the sake of conversation. Martinez would be an interesting opponent, but Mayweather is just too smart to let a fighter like Martinez get the jump on him and win the fight. It would be a sight for sore eyes, but ultimately Floyd would come out with the decision victory. 160 is a pretty open division for a fighter like Floyd to make the move and just cause complete mayhem, but I think the more technical, busier and bigger names rest at 154. Perfect weight for Floyd, IMO.

Floyd's shoulder roll would not work against Sergio. It is a style issue.

Floyd would not get respect in there...and he would need to get inside. How exactly do you see Floyd fighting Martinez? Remember, Martinez will not walk to Floyd, and he will not back straight up either. He can land from places Floyd can't, and he is bigger, stronger, has excellent feet, and plenty of speed.

This isn't a P4P issue or discussion...this is Floyd fighting at weight that is higher than he likes. His only time above welter he fought Oscar and did not look special in there...that version of Floyd does not beat Martinez in my opinion. Bear in mind, this is not off the Pavlik fight...I have been saying that the most interesting Floyd fight for me would be Martinez for a long time now. To me, that would be a problem fight for Floyd...you see something I don't with this one; what am I not seeing here?
Snoop
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 19 2010, 04:47 PM) *
After he KO's Mosley in the 1st round, Floyd should go up to heavyweight and KO both Klitschkos.

Sergio should go up to the heavens for his next fight and KO God.

Only then should Floyd and Sergio square off for unification.

The winner faces Frans Botha for all the marbles.

laugh.gif
Douchebag
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 20 2010, 09:04 AM) *
I would never accuse anyone of knowing boxing less than I do. However, I do believe you are being blinded by SMartinez's excellent performances against bigger, slower and eminently hittable opponents.

In case you failed to notice, SMartinez took considerable punishment from both fighters. SMartinez was KTFO by Margarito. PWill went to WWI trench warfare with Margarito.

Mosley flat out, unequivocally deFuckinstroyed Margarito.

No matter what happens May 1, SSM v SMartinez would be a war that SSM is perfectly capable of winning.

War SSM. Bring hell May 1.

SMartinez would not be facing a person (like PWill) whose idea of defense is throwing a lot of punches. SMartinez could possibly beat PBF, but it would be, by far, the greatest accomplishment of his career, even after SSM sends him to Twitchville.

We disagree, this is a stylistic nightmare for Floyd. In fact, could very well see Floyd being behind on points late in the fight and having to chase Sergio around the ring looking of knockout or knockdown. Skill for skill Floyd is better than Sergio, but the with skill set and intagibles that Sergio does have along him being bigger, and stronger than Floyd, it would just be to much.
RyanTical
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 20 2010, 03:34 AM) *
Not after Sergio beats P-Will in the rematch.

If that fight happen; awesome.. if not, we all can dream.

QUOTE (JD @ Apr 20 2010, 03:41 AM) *

Floyd would not get respect in there...and he would need to get inside. How exactly do you see Floyd fighting Martinez? Remember, Martinez will not walk to Floyd, and he will not back straight up either. He can land from places Floyd can't, and he is bigger, stronger, has excellent feet, and plenty of speed.

This isn't a P4P issue or discussion...this is Floyd fighting at weight that is higher than he likes. His only time above welter he fought Oscar and did not look special in there...that version of Floyd does not beat Martinez in my opinion. Bear in mind, this is not off the Pavlik fight...I have been saying that the most interesting Floyd fight for me would be Martinez for a long time now. To me, that would be a problem fight for Floyd...you see something I don't with this one; what am I not seeing here?

It would definitely be a problem for Floyd, if you didn't see my post prior, I said Floyd would have an easier time figuring out Paul Williams. However, Sergio is not as great a Boxer as Floyd, and by you saying Sergio can land in placed Floyd can't, I assume you mean 'angles'. Are you kidding me, we're talking Floyd Mayweather.. if there is an angle, Floyd can make contact. As for Sergio's speed Timing > Speed > Power. Case closed.

Floyd wouldn't have a problem landing on Sergio, I would consider Floyd's ability to see openings and counterpunch to be more reliable than anything Sergio has taught himself to do in the Pavlik or Williams fight. If you believe that those overhand lefts would land on Floyd just because he's a southpaw, and the rumor is that Floyd has trouble with southpaws, I doubt such. I am not throwing Sergio under the bus, the man is an extremely talented southpaw, but just not talented enough to dethrone Mayweather.

And no, I haven't forgotten when Judah landed on Floyd and knocked him down. I have taken that into consideration.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 20 2010, 06:41 AM) *

Dead On!!!

I would also like to add that Floyd's shoulder roll would not work against PWill either. Floyd loses to both men pretty damn clearly.
RyanTical
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 20 2010, 05:09 PM) *
Dead On!!!

I would also like to add that Floyd's shoulder roll would not work against PWill either. Floyd loses to both men pretty damn clearly.

Perhaps, hasn't yet. nono.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 08:27 PM) *
Perhaps, hasn't yet. nono.gif

You're right. Those fights will probably NEVER happen.
RyanTical
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 20 2010, 05:33 PM) *
You're right. Those fights will probably NEVER happen.

Probably. Mayweather could very well fight Pacquiao and take on Paul Williams then retire.
JD
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 07:54 PM) *
It would definitely be a problem for Floyd, if you didn't see my post prior, I said Floyd would have an easier time figuring out Paul Williams. However, Sergio is not as great a Boxer as Floyd, and by you saying Sergio can land in placed Floyd can't, I assume you mean 'angles'. Are you kidding me, we're talking Floyd Mayweather.. if there is an angle, Floyd can make contact. As for Sergio's speed Timing > Speed > Power. Case closed.

Floyd wouldn't have a problem landing on Sergio, I would consider Floyd's ability to see openings and counterpunch to be more reliable than anything Sergio has taught himself to do in the Pavlik or Williams fight. If you believe that those overhand lefts would land on Floyd just because he's a southpaw, and the rumor is that Floyd has trouble with southpaws, I doubt such. I am not throwing Sergio under the bus, the man is an extremely talented southpaw, but just not talented enough to dethrone Mayweather.

And no, I haven't forgotten when Judah landed on Floyd and knocked him down. I have taken that into consideration.

Floyd has fought southpaws in a more conventional stance.

Floyd is going to have to come toward Sergio...sure, Floyd can time him coming in sometimes - but big deal, Sergio will happily respond in combo. The difference in activity levels will be quite noticeable. Sergio can jab to the body from a distance and move...Floyd will not be able to, unless he wants to get in punching range. I believe that Floyd does not love fighting southpaws, and most recently the two that he did fight were able to land on him.

Floyd may be the better or more skilled boxer, but he ain't better at middleweight...and I was unimpressed with him at junior middleweight. Floyd is a lot more flat-footed at 147, and would be at higher weights.

As for Paul Williams...he is too big, too active, and too willing to make his opponent fight for Floyd...that 10 inch reach and 6 inch height advantage would be pretty apparent. Williams might land, have 2 blocked and miss 6...but Floyd would respond by landing 1.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 20 2010, 08:09 PM) *
Dead On!!!

I agree.
TRU
Wait... Floyd has a close fight against Oscar at 154 and now he beats Martinez?

Oscar was not faded in that fight with Floyd but he definitely wasn't in his physical prime like he was against Mosley the first go around.

I'd pick Martinez to UD Floyd all damn day and I'd bet a ton for him to do so.
Fitz
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 21 2010, 10:35 AM) *
Probably. Mayweather could very well fight Pacquiao and take on Paul Williams then retire.

Mayweather will not fight Williams. Unless Williams becomes a superstar.
RyanTical
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 20 2010, 05:44 PM) *
Floyd has fought southpaws in a more conventional stance.

Floyd is going to have to come toward Sergio...sure, Floyd can time him coming in sometimes - but big deal, Sergio will happily respond in combo. The difference in activity levels will be quite noticeable. Sergio can jab to the body from a distance and move...Floyd will not be able to, unless he wants to get in punching range. I believe that Floyd does not love fighting southpaws, and most recently the two that he did fight were able to land on him.

Floyd may be the better or more skilled boxer, but he ain't better at middleweight...and I was unimpressed with him at junior middleweight. Floyd is a lot more flat-footed at 147, and would be at higher weights.

As for Paul Williams...he is too big, too active, and too willing to make his opponent fight for Floyd...that 10 inch reach and 6 inch height advantage would be pretty apparent. Williams might land, have 2 blocked and miss 6...but Floyd would respond by landing 1.

The Southpaw Killer; the big right hand. Mayweather's greatest weapon.
JD
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 09:07 PM) *
The Southpaw Killer; the big right hand. Mayweather's greatest weapon.

If Martinez had a basic southpaw style, and Floyd could actually hurt him, and get to him from a distance.

Floyd cannot potshot Sergio, and he sure as hell is not going to be able to walk him down like he did "4 Round" Judah. At 154 Floyd was not that impressive...if the fight were at 160, Floyd would be less impressive.
D-MARV
There is no way I can see Mayweather beating Martinez... No Way!

Stylistically, Martinez is the worst possible match up for Floyd. Please don't use PWill as an example of how to be Martinez... Floyd is NOT 6'3 and he's not throwing 100 punches a round. Floyd is not going to potshot Martinez because he's not going to stand right in front of Floyd. The ONLY way Floyd can win this fight is if he turns Martinez into the agressor and counters. Martinez won't fall for that trap though... He would be very content with just staying on the outside and controlling Floyd with his Jab and ocassionally mix in his left hand. I can see this fight being a really boring fight but Martinez wins this fight pretty clearly.

It is what it is... I'm actually one of the few Floyd fans around here but I can tell when someone is ALL WRONG for someone else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.