Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pac vs. Martinez?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Would love to see this at 154...
Box in Hand
Styles make fights and Pavlik's style made Martinez look like a world beater. Martinez is good but he needs to do more in my eyes before we put him up there with the upper echelon.
Keith

Extremely entertaining. High speed.
D-MARV
Martinez spanks that little bitch!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Poor little Pac, you'll be wanting to but him in with a Klit next. Can't we just leave the Filipino man-God to fight at 147?
JD
Martinez beats Pac.
Col Reb
Let them fight at 155 for the MW belt. That would be very interesting to see, but I think Martinez beats him.
Fitz
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 20 2010, 12:35 PM) *
Let them fight at 155 for the MW belt. That would be very interesting to see, but I think Martinez beats him.

I would be dead set against that. I hate these fucking title fights at a catch weight. Fight the champion at the divisions limit, or not at all. I didn't like it one bit when Pacquiao fought for Cotto's welter title at 145-146, what ever it was.
If they need a catch weight, it probably tells them that they shouldn't be fighting in that division, only people that are worthy to fight at the actual division deserve shots IMO.
Col Reb
It's not like making Pavlik come down to 155. Martinez is a 154 guy, so I have no problem with the fight happening at the catch weight. You can say a max of 160, but both guys would be best-served to come in lighter.
Fitz
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 20 2010, 12:50 PM) *
It's not like making Pavlik come down to 155. Martinez is a 154 guy, so I have no problem with the fight happening at the catch weight. You can say a max of 160, but both guys would be best-served to come in lighter.

But that's the thing. What's the point? If that's the case, why not just fight at 154 for Martinez's title? I know it isn't like making Pavlik come down to 155, but if champions are going to start fighting at catch weight and fighting challengers, seriously. What is the point? It will just cause more shit going on with small guys squeezing into divisions and only fighting other small guys in that division or catch weights.
Like if Bute made Dawson fight him at a weight at 169 for the 175 title. I understand what you are saying about them not being big middles anyway, if that's the case I would prefer Martinez and Pacquiao to both fuck off from 160 and let the real men battle it out, and the smaller guys insecure about fighting bigger guys to go down and fight at a weight they are comfortable with at 154.
I'm not having a shot at you or anything, I have just always been dead against the idea of champions putting their titles on the line at catch weights. I am just of the opinion they we are already complaining about todays boxing with WAY too many divisions and it was better off years ago when there were fewer. In todays day and age, with as many divisions as there are. If someone feels the need to still make more divisions in between divisions, then something is really fucked up.
Douchebag
Martinez is my boy but the nuthuggery is starting to piss me off.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 20 2010, 01:05 PM) *
Martinez is my boy but the nuthuggery is starting to piss me off.

I think I know the feeling you are getting. Martinez was a hidden treasure for a lot of people (myself not included because I didn't know a great deal on him). Now he has hit it big, and he is becoming more mainstream, people are getting annoying and now you will just look like everyone else that caught onto him late.
It's a shitty feeling. I get that feeling when it comes to Pavlik, I was vocal about Pavlik being rubbish, a hype job WELL before his first loss. I just don't want to be lumped together with everyone else jumping on the Pavlik sucks wagon now. I was leading from the front and basically alone for a very long time, I don't need anyone else now. I know that is the feeling you are getting.

laugh.gif
PR316
Not sure. But I wouldn't doubt that Pacquiao would have the guts to fight him.
King Eugene
Ah hell, I knew it wouldn't be long before this potential fight got threw out there. Manny Pac has bigger fish to fry at 147 and 140. No need in him and Manny trying to handicap the 160 pound Champ in a fight next.
kidbazooka1
I wouldn't count Manny out but Martinez size, ring smarts and southpaw stance would be a little too much for Manny too handle. This would look alot like the 2nd Marquez fight but with Martinez having a bit more of a decisive win.
Snoop
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 20 2010, 02:50 AM) *

FUCKKK that. Pac got away with it once already in Cotto, let's not start making it habitual for fighters to start "claiming" they're champions without fighting the champion in their top form. Martinez has a 154 lb title too. Just fight for that one.
RyanTical
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 19 2010, 07:42 PM) *
I would be dead set against that. I hate these fucking title fights at a catch weight. Fight the champion at the divisions limit, or not at all. I didn't like it one bit when Pacquiao fought for Cotto's welter title at 145-146, what ever it was.
If they need a catch weight, it probably tells them that they shouldn't be fighting in that division, only people that are worthy to fight at the actual division deserve shots IMO.

I completely agree with that, whole-heartedly, but you will have those skeptics that say that a Welterweight fight is anything after 140 up to 147. Once again, opening up a can of worms and attempting to soil the accomplishments of former greats that actually fought at the Welterweight limit and succeeded, not give and take or manipulate the weight to gain an advantage.

Another way for these ridiculous sanctioning bodies to saturate each division with more useless trinkets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.