Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You a Boxing Fan or a Fan Of a Fighter?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
LoneRyu
Boxing Fan or Boxer Fan?

(Mod Note: Title changed to not be all caps as writing in all caps in considered shouting at the community.)
Snoop
Sport of boxing ALWAYS over boxers. Nuts I do not hug.
kidbazooka1
Boxing fan all the way.

I get pissed when my guy losses but I love this sport too much to just stop watching it becuse of a few fighters.
King Eugene
Boxing Fan. I'll watch damn near any fight that comes on TV. Now whether I fall asleep on it or not is a different story. laugh.gif
RyanTical
The sport of Boxing has become much more intriguing since the golden era of the sport: larger paychecks, ducking of opponents, people claiming they're this; they're that. A lot of people will have their favorite fighters or fighter, but that doesn't mean they aren't a fan of the sport. I simply look at it from a Sports team point-of-view. Each figher is a sports team, so you're going to support, defend and flame on teams to show how much more your team is.

Some will defend Michael Vick even though he was jailed for dog fighting, some fans will defend Ben Roethlisberger even though he sexually assaulted a woman. Hell, there are fans giving Edwin Valero the benefit of the doubt even though he mercilessly murdered his wife and committed suicide shortly there after. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I think the undertone of this thread's subject header is: Boxing Fan or Fan of a fighter(Nut-hugger). To each their own.
AussieLad
QUOTE (LoneRyu @ Apr 20 2010, 05:20 AM) *
bOXING FAN OR BOXER FAN

What did you think of the mayweather vs marquez fight?

Big Slim Sweet
BOXER fan all the way. Once John Ruiz officially retires, I'm out.
Maxy
I'm a fan of the sport. Was a fan before I knew who was who and what-not. Obviously over the years you get your favourites, but they come and go.

The sport never dies.
Spyder
Neither.

But I'm a HUGE Joe Cortez fan! I love it when he says, "I'm fair...but I'm firm." It's like he's saying, "I'm not gonna cheat you, but I'm not gonna let you cheat either." And the best part is that you know that he means it.

Mean Mister Mustard
I wonder who is going to answer "Fan of a fighter" after he insinuates that anyone that does is a "dumass". I don't really see a point to the thread, the question is horrible. Because of that very reason, I am going to save the thread. Because you see, just like many of you choose boxing over boxers, I myself choose the well being of this message boards over my own reputation. So I am going to say that I choose the boxer over boxing, just to piss people off and make this a worthy thread. I am willing to debate with any of you over this issue, even though I am wrong. Not only do I choose the boxer over the sport but I am going to pick one of the least liked boxers around today, Floyd Mayweather Junior, as my idol. Without him boxing is dead.

PR316
The sport all the way.

First fight I remember watching was Chavez-Taylor I and since then I've been hooked.

Sure I've had my favorites, and when they lost I felt bad, but nevertheless, the sport of boxing has always lived within me.
Romulus9
This one is easy to define: If you only watch your 'favorite fighters' fight, you're a boxer fan.

If you watch boxing, you're a boxing fan, and probably a casual fan, as that is generally defined.

If you watch every fight that's on, no matter the fighters, referee, judges, network, commentators, date, time, venue, whatever.... you're not just a boxing fan, you're a diehard boxing fan, which is the category I fall into.

I watch every fight that's on. I watch boxing every day, either live or on DVD. I score every fight I watch, unless it's one I've already watched and scored. I keep every card unless it ends VERY early in the fight.

I'd say most of us here fall somewhere between more than casual all the way up to diehards.

Love the sport. Always have. Always will. As I've told a lot of people, many of whom have since become boxing fans... once you get to know it and truly understand it, there's just nothing else like it.
RyanTical
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 20 2010, 01:19 PM) *
I wonder who is going to answer "Fan of a fighter" after he insinuates that anyone that does is a "dumass". I don't really see a point to the thread, the question is horrible. Because of that very reason, I am going to save the thread. Because you see, just like many of you choose boxing over boxers, I myself choose the well being of this message boards over my own reputation. So I am going to say that I choose the boxer over boxing, just to piss people off and make this a worthy thread. I am willing to debate with any of you over this issue, even though I am wrong. Not only do I choose the boxer over the sport but I am going to pick one of the least liked boxers around today, Floyd Mayweather Junior, as my idol. Without him boxing is dead.

I was waiting for someone to say it. I second your post.
Fitz
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 21 2010, 06:19 AM) *

laugh.gif

You beat me to it, I was going to come up with something like this.

I'm a boxing fan, but have my fair share of fighters that I go for, but fighters come and go which is what I love.

But MMM was right, how well did he seriously think this thread would go? This title has just been written differently, but this is exactly what it translates to

Are you a nuthugger?

Who is going to admit to that? laugh.gif
Jack 1000
A boxing fan, boxing writer, and historian, reflected in my life over the past thirty years.

However, the force-feeding of PPV's, their high prices, combined with the terrible economy has turned the general public progressively more uninformed about boxing and boxers as years pass. There are more "Dumasses" out there because they don't have the exposure to the fights and fighters of the past. The lack of boxing on commercial broadcast TV leading to the high costs of PPV forced that trend.

Boxing needs more mainstream commercial TV interest. It needs to return to its free TV roots to get the general public informed, interested, and excited about the fights and fighters once again. As I have written many times, reserve PPV for those matches that really are only closed circuit caliber. Bringing boxing back to free broadcast TV like ABC, CBS, FOX makes the non-public informed and excited about our sport again. Put the boxing matches that are now on PPV on HBO or Showtime. Only matches like Mayweather-Pacquiao, which have the potential to draw Ali-Frazier type interest should be PPV or closed-circuit.

Jack
D-MARV
Boxing Fan.
RyanTical
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2010, 04:49 PM) *
laugh.gif

You beat me to it, I was going to come up with something like this.

I'm a boxing fan, but have my fair share of fighters that I go for, but fighters come and go which is what I love.

But MMM was right, how well did he seriously think this thread would go? This title has just been written differently, but this is exactly what it translates to

Are you a nuthugger?

Who is going to admit to that? laugh.gif

The term nuthugger is thrown around too much. Why can't a fan like a Boxer more than the sport? The sport is full of lies, corruption, greed and cheaters. I don't see how anyone can respect anything BUT the fighter. Which is why I have my favorite Boxers. If a fan of a certain fighter will acknowledge what's fact and what's fiction then there isn't a problem. I absolutely love Floyd Mayweather's technical prowess and how he operates in the ring, however, do I think he is bigger than the sport? ...No, because there are far too many great Boxers to be MORE than them Is he the best boxer EVER? ...Too many Boxers to be the BEST, unless he has a time machine. I very well believe he could be the greatest pure Boxer of my generation and certainly has the talent and know-how to get the job done.

I guess that makes me a nuthugger.
Snoop
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 21 2010, 12:05 AM) *
The term nuthugger is thrown around too much. Why can't a fan like a Boxer more than the sport? The sport is full of lies, corruption, greed and cheaters. I don't see how anyone can respect anything BUT the fighter. Which is why I have my favorite Boxers. If a fan of a certain fighter will acknowledge what's fact and what's fiction then there isn't a problem. I absolutely love Floyd Mayweather's technical prowess and how he operates in the ring, however, do I think he is bigger than the sport? ...No, because there are far too many great Boxers to be MORE than them Is he the best boxer EVER? ...Too many Boxers to be the BEST, unless he has a time machine. I very well believe he could be the greatest pure Boxer of my generation and certainly has the talent and know-how to get the job done.

I have my favorite fighters too, but I don't let them off the hook when they do dumbass things inside and outside the ring. I think that's the distinction between being the fan of a fighter and a nuthugger. Being fan, you just like watching them fight. Being a nuthugger, you like watching them do anything.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 20 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Only matches like Mayweather-Pacquiao, which have the potential to draw Ali-Frazier type interest should be PPV or closed-circuit.

Jack

And to emphasize the polar opposite state of affairs as we have at present...

May 14, 2010

Hector Camacho Sr. vs. Saul Duran

on pay-per-view...

REALLY!?

You're right, Jack. I've said it for years. You've said it for years. Network coverage is paramount.

1985, Larry Holmes defends the heavyweight championship on national television (NBC) against Carl Williams in primetime.

2010, Wladmir Klitschko defends the heavyweight championship against an American... with no American television coverage of ANY KIND.

That is but one example.
Fitz
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 21 2010, 10:05 AM) *
The term nuthugger is thrown around too much. Why can't a fan like a Boxer more than the sport?

I don't know. I love the sport, I really like certain fighters and follow them closely and I love boxing. Sure, I had a fighter that got me into the sport, but it doesn't mean I like a fighter more than the sport. I can't imagine myself getting into a sport because I am a HUGE fan of another male, and following him around and enjoying this person more than the sport itself.
I'm not saying it's wrong, but to me it fits the bill of a nuthugger.

What would you say, if I said that I like Christiano Ronaldo more than soccer and I follow him more than the sport?

RyanTical
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 20 2010, 05:10 PM) *
I have my favorite fighters too, but I don't let them off the hook when they do dumbass things inside and outside the ring. I think that's the distinction between being the fan of a fighter and a nuthugger. Being fan, you just like watching them fight. Being a nuthugger, you like watching them do anything.

My business when it comes to the 'Boxer' has to do with what they do in the ring. What they do outside the ring is their own business and has nothing to do with me.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2010, 05:16 PM) *
I don't know. I love the sport, I really like certain fighters and follow them closely and I love boxing. Sure, I had a fighter that got me into the sport, but it doesn't mean I like a fighter more than the sport. I can't imagine myself getting into a sport because I am a HUGE fan of another male, and following him around and enjoying this person more than the sport itself.
I'm not saying it's wrong, but to me it fits the bill of a nuthugger.

What would you say, if I said that I like Christiano Ronaldo more than soccer and I follow him more than the sport?

The sport of Boxing is great when great fights happen however when petty bullshit keeps fights from going off due to this and that then that's when I hate the sport, but it comes with the territory we all experience it, we get over it.

And if you like Christiano Ronaldo, that's your perogative. I have no say so over how you feel about a certain person.
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2010, 08:16 PM) *

That would be as gay as a pair of assless chaps.
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 21 2010, 11:05 AM) *
That would be as gay as a pair of assless chaps.

Exactly, it would be a little nuthugging. I think you can like a fighter and the sport, I think you can like the sport more than the fighter, but as soon as you follow a fighter more than a sport, I think you are going into nuthugging territory.
Kind of liking a music artist more than the actual music or something. Surely if you like someone, you need to love the sport to actually appreciate what they are doing. I have no problem if someone likes a fighter more than the sport, but there is a line and I think you would slightly be crossing over to teenage girl territory.
Spyder
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 20 2010, 08:05 PM) *

The great thing about boxing message boards is that when one guy leaves, another guy will always take his place.

laugh.gif
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Exactly, it would be a little nuthugging. I think you can like a fighter and the sport, I think you can like the sport more than the fighter, but as soon as you follow a fighter more than a sport, I think you are going into nuthugging territory.
Kind of liking a music artist more than the actual music or something. Surely if you like someone, you need to love the sport to actually appreciate what they are doing. I have no problem if someone likes a fighter more than the sport, but there is a line and I think you would slightly be crossing over to teenage girl territory.

A little?

If you weren't a fan of the sport, you would not be a fan of the fighter. I would rather watch any two guys box than some guy I root for on Cribs.
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 21 2010, 12:06 PM) *
A little?

If you weren't a fan of the sport, you would not be a fan of the fighter. I would rather watch any two guys box than some guy I root for on Cribs.

It is nuthugging, I just didn't want to be so blunt and offend the guy, haha.

LoneRyu
Im a boxer fan only. Bobby Pacquiao and Mathew Hatton, two all time greats...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 20 2010, 12:47 AM) *
Sport of boxing ALWAYS over boxers. Nuts I do not hug.

I'm a fan of boxing first before a fan of a fighter..Bad ass icon Snoop..That movie was dope..
Lil-lightsout
I would say almost all posters on this forum are boxing fans easily, there is an occasional fighter fan here and there.
Hops
A lot of people are fans of boxers first before becoming fans of the sport. We should just admit that this is the case for the majority of us. The title of this thread doesn't allow us to expose ourselves because of the phrase "Just a dumbass".
Hops
A lot of people are fans of boxers first before becoming fans of the sport. We should just admit that this is the case for the majority of us. The title of this thread doesn't allow us to expose ourselves because of the phrase "Just a dumbass".
LoneRyu
Man, if it wasnt for Bobby Pacquiao or Mathew Hatton I wouldnt even watch this lousy sport...
JD
QUOTE (LoneRyu @ Apr 21 2010, 07:11 AM) *
Man, if it wasnt for Bobby Pacquiao or Mathew Hatton I wouldnt even watch this lousy sport...

It wasn't funny the first time.
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 21 2010, 07:54 AM) *
*high five*

drinks.gif

LOL...
LoneRyu
My life is for not. I have offended the hears of the comedic elitests on Fighthype. For Shame
LoneRyu
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 21 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Sorry about that.

Here, have a fruit basket.

delicious
JD
QUOTE (LoneRyu @ Apr 22 2010, 01:36 AM) *
My life is for not. I have offended the hears of the comedic elitests on Fighthype. For Shame

Offended? Not at all.

Just offering a little friendly advice that when you attempt to be funny but fail, and everyone does you a favor and ignores your attempt at humor...you can certainly try again, but perhaps give it a go with something that exemplifies at tad bit of wit the second time around - not the same joke.
RyanTical
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 20 2010, 06:56 PM) *
The great thing about boxing message boards is that when one guy leaves, another guy will always take his place.

laugh.gif

Thankfully I'm not a nuthugger.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 21 2010, 02:30 AM) *
torvix is a classic example. I think I can probably count on one hand how many times I ever heard torvix talk about fighters that don't directly or indirectly involve Pacquiao. By indirectly, I am talking about past opponents or possibly opponents. If they have never fought Pac, not close to his division, he won't talk about them.

I can't stand people like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.