Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whom should Martinez fight next, if he has the choice?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
Just curious as to what you think would be the best option for Sergio.
lloyd mayflower
Cotto/Foreman winner first, Mayweather if he wins on May 1st. If he cant get Floyd, then rematch PWill. Under no circumstances should he hand that cheating prick Margarito another pass into the mainstream.
BGv2.0
He needs to rematch Kelly.

Sorry....but IMHO that fight was just too close to not need an instant rematch. The only judge that got it right in my mind was the 115-113 for Martinez.

That was a close competitive fight worthy of a rematch.
SmartyBeardo
Given a choice, he should go for QuackMan or the winner May 1.

Go for the GREEN while you can. SMartinez is 35.
Col Reb
I think the chance to be MW champion will be very tempting for that welterweight trio. It adds a ton to any of their legacies. Sergio would probably fight better at 155 anyway.
Nay_Sayer
Let's be honest here, Pavlik looked like shit last Saturday. Partly due to having to make 160, partly due to having shit for boxing skills - IMHO.

Nobody wants to see that rematch.

I'd like to see Sergio beat Cotto if he gets past Foreman then fight the Mayweather/Mosley winner.
alaganza
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:34 AM) *
He needs to rematch Kelly.

Sorry....but IMHO that fight was just too close to not need an instant rematch. The only judge that got it right in my mind was the 115-113 for Martinez.

That was a close competitive fight worthy of a rematch.

I agree the fight was close enough for a rematch. However, Pavlik added 18+ pounds overnight. In my mind that is an indication he had some "issues" making weight. he may not want to do it again. Pavlik has been sandbagging at 160 for quite some time.

It may be time for him to move up.

D-MARV
I didn't see Martinez-Pavlik "close" at all.

Pavlik won a few rounds but that fight was pretty much dominated by Martinez... I'm not really interested in seeing Martinez-Pavlik II.

I think Martinez should target Felix Sturm then rematch Paul Williams. He would be wasting his time trying to get Mayweather in the ring.
Big Slim Sweet
Pavlik has the rematch clause so if he wants the fight he's got the fight.

I agree there are more interesting options for Sergio. Paul Williams, Cotto/Foreman winner, hell even Cintron if he somehow manages to cold cock Paul.

Speculation is that Arum won't let Margarito fight Martinez until he knows whether or not he needs him as leverage for Pacquaio-Mayweather.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 22 2010, 01:24 PM) *
I didn't see Martinez-Pavlik "close" at all.

I saw it like you. Pavlik did win 4 rounds and with the KD the score wasn't so lopsided, but overall Martinez dominated him.

Also agree Martinez shouldn't get caught up trying to get the welters in the ring. Never happen.

If Shane beats PBF I could see him making the jump and going for it, but PBF has the rematch clause anyway.
Col Reb
Floyd beating able to scoop up a belt at middleweight by fighting Martinez at 155 might be an attractive option for him. Floyd would be favored in the fight, and it should sell pretty well because of the ramifications of Floyd being middleweight champion.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (alaganza @ Apr 22 2010, 12:29 PM) *
I agree the fight was close enough for a rematch. However, Pavlik added 18+ pounds overnight. In my mind that is an indication he had some "issues" making weight. he may not want to do it again. Pavlik has been sandbagging at 160 for quite some time.

It may be time for him to move up.

Well....I'm saying if it wants it....that should be the next fight.

I agree that Pavlik looked like he had problems...he looked drained and uninterested from the first round....there is no doubt he needs to move up....

BUT....should he want it...I think he deserves a second shot based on how close the fight was. I mean...who knows how he may have closed out the fight without the blood running into his eye...

I myself would prefer to see him move up in weight...BUT...should he choose to use his rematch clause...I get it.

kidbazooka1
I voted for Mayweather/Mosley I know Shane would fight him but i highly doubt Floyd would.
RyanTical
I say Cotto-Foreman. It'll give Martinez even more glory and would set up perfect for a future Mayweather ( or Mosley ) bout.
LoneRyu
i dont see any of the welters wanting anything to do with him. plus he would whip all of them. even though im a floyd fan that would probably be an ass whippin on floyd. id still wanna see the p will rematch but that can wait. id like to see him fight the foreman cotto winner though. he probably takes both though. paul is probably the toughest competition.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 22 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Floyd beating able to scoop up a belt at middleweight by fighting Martinez at 155 might be an attractive option for him. Floyd would be favored in the fight, and it should sell pretty well because of the ramifications of Floyd being middleweight champion.

If its not 160 it shouldn't be for his belts.
pcraw
He has history with both Williams and Cintron. I would much rather see those rematches then the Pavlik fight. Pavlik won't beat anyone with movement. Give me Martinez vs. Cintron/Williams winner...
Col Reb
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 22 2010, 11:28 PM) *
If its not 160 it shouldn't be for his belts.

What's wrong with both of them agreeing to 155? They can fight at any weight between 155 and 160; it doesn't matter (still in the middleweight limit). I just think that's a way to get Floyd in the ring, and I think Sergio is better at that weight anyway. I would have a problem with Mayweather making Pavlik drain to 155, because it's an unfair advantage. Fighting Sergio at 155 is mutually beneficial.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 23 2010, 12:46 AM) *
What's wrong with both of them agreeing to 155? They can fight at any weight between 155 and 160; it doesn't matter (still in the middleweight limit). I just think that's a way to get Floyd in the ring, and I think Sergio is better at that weight anyway. I would have a problem with Mayweather making Pavlik drain to 155, because it's an unfair advantage. Fighting Sergio at 155 is mutually beneficial.

Mayweather choosing to come in at 155 is cool but making Sergio drain down to 155 to defend his 160 pound titles is not. This isn't that "Diamond" WBC belt. Whats wrong with it is its not in the rule books saying he has to defend his title at that weight. If Floyd comes at Martinez with that he should tell Floyd to go fuck himself. Would you really consider Mayweather the 160 pound lineal champ if he makes Sergio come in at 155?
ViperSniper
I don't think any of the Welterweights should land a fight with Sergio as they all got enough to handle in their own divisions & vise versa. It's hard enough to get the Welterweights to fight each other with ego's & some with diva like behavior, it wouldn't be fare to just hand over any of them this opportunity. Martinez could have rematches with either Williams, Pavlik, Cintron or Margarito who are much more deserved, before considering giving the Welterweights this golden chance. It's not like they don't have enough exposure, hype, money & respect as it is, now they'd hijack the Middleweight division too? No thank you, there is more than enough quality fights inside of 147, 154 & 160 to go around before they start mixing & (mis)matching for biggest money possible.

Martinez should focus on rematches with Williams & Pavlik as 1st priority.
SmartyBeardo
I thought the question was who SMartinez should fight next if HE has the choice?
JLUVBABY
i voted for the cotto foreman winner....
Col Reb
Mayweather or Pacquiao brings the most money, and right now this is his golden chance to land those fights. A loss in any of the other rematches and he loses such an opportunity. The risk/reward equation for the top welters will no longer be there if Sergio were to lose a rematch. I say take the welters now, if you can get them. The other fights will be there later for the taking.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 23 2010, 05:24 AM) *
What's wrong with them just fight at 154 for Martinez title? If they don't want to fight at the 160 limit because they can't fill out 160 properly, it tells them that they ARE NOT 160 fighters. A true middleweight will fight between 155-160 because they are middleweights. Not between 154-155. They are not true middleweights if they need a division in between a division and if they are not true middleweights, I don't want anyone holding a 160 title when they are not 160 fighters.
If Mayweather wins, he isn't going to fight Pavlik, Williams or any of the legit 160 fighters. He will just give them up and move back down and the 160 division is fucked again, just like he fucked 147 by becoming undisputed and then leaving the titles scattered around.
There is zero point for it, the only point to it is so people can say Mayweather was a middleweight champion, despite winning it at 155 and probably never defending it again.

EXACTLY! Another problem with the sport. Many get too inpatient & want the biggest circus possible while skipping all the good shows in between, we miss out on a lot of good match-ups by looking too far ahead.

Martinez is on top of the boxing world at the moment & has seen the most money he ever has with his win over Pavlik.
The Welterweights are also on top of the world & are also seeing the most money they have in their life.
They have all done fine without each other from this point on, it's not essential they all gotta move to 160 little own 154 just because more money is there.
That's the problem..too many greedy fighters have created greedy fans who want anything & everything even if it's not in the sports best interest.

If there is nothing left but for a fighter to move up to Middle & Martinez has taken care of business there, then sure..make the fight! If not I have no interest in seeing another quality division being stalled by fighters who are more motivated by money rather than greatness.
King Eugene
are yall taking turns on the same computer...?
ViperSniper
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 23 2010, 08:16 AM) *
are yall taking turns on the same computer...?

LOL That would be pretty funny if we were..but no just the same views!

What's your take on everything then? As you now know, I just feel there is more than enough great match-ups, interest & money going on in each division before people start jumbling fighters just to creating the most money possible!

Edit: Just spotted your in take of the thread & gotta agree with the whole catch weight for the Middleweight titles as it just confuses an already confusing structure of titles & a way to determine who really is the best. I'll go as far as to say I'd much rather not see that fight at all at this point in time unless all roads lead to that fight or any other Welter making the leap to Middle with no strings attached.
D-MARV
Challenging a champion for the title but telling them they can't weigh in at that title's weight limit is a BITCH move. Only bitches would do something like that.
King Eugene
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 23 2010, 05:35 AM) *
Challenging a champion for the title but telling them they can't weigh in at that title's weight limit is a BITCH move. Only bitches would do something like that.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 23 2010, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 23 2010, 05:54 AM) *

That is why I call him PacMeow.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 23 2010, 04:35 AM) *

dont say that dmarv some of these die hards might put a hit out on you...
Col Reb
Do y'all have a problem with Mayweather-Martinez if Sergio has the option to weigh 160?
D-MARV
I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Col Reb
I think that would be one helluva fight. I have no doubt that Martinez's next fight will be a tough one; I'd just like to see him against someone who can catapult him to another level, were he to win. I'd also love it if these guys like Floyd started thinking about legacy a little more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.