Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confessions of a Hater
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
I must admit, I was literally unmoved at the announcement of this tourney, and even less moved about the Supper Middleweight division, but, as I told my man JD over numerous conversations this past week, it has really grown on me, and admittedly, I haven't even seen all the fights...at least not live, but I have been entertained by them all.

Further, I have only seen one episode of Fight Camp 360, over and over and over, but it is one of the reasons this tourney has grown on me. SO MUCH better that 24/7.

I have to come correct and admit it, because I hated on this shit when it was announced.

I can only think Joe Calzaghe is kicking himself for not being in this tourney after reigning over 168 for so long. It was a DEAD division. She leaves, and, dare I say it? The division is kind hot.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 24 2010, 10:30 PM) *
I must admit, I was literally unmoved at the announcement of this tourney, and even less moved about the Supper Middleweight division, but, as I told my man JD over numerous conversations this past week, it has really grown on me, and admittedly, I haven't even seen all the fights...at least not live, but I have been entertained by them all.

Further, I have only seen one episode of Fight Camp 360, over and over and over, but it is one of the reasons this tourney has grown on me. SO MUCH better that 24/7.

I have to come correct and admit it, because I hated on this shit when it was announced.

I can only think Joe Calzaghe is kicking himself for not being in this tourney after reigning over 168 for so long. It was a DEAD division. She leaves, and, dare I say it? The division is kind hot.

Yeah, man...Super Middle is the hottest it's ever been....it's great, B division now....no doubt.

Like I've said before...it's deep with a bunch of guys all around the same skill level...which makes for good matchups...which, in turn, can be entertaining.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 25 2010, 03:50 AM) *
Yeah, man...Super Middle is the hottest it's ever been....it's great, B division now....no doubt.

Like I've said before...it's deep with a bunch of guys all around the same skill level...which makes for good matchups...which, in turn, can be entertaining.

If it is B division what is a A division? 147 is a A division but what other divisions are an A? Or do you mean it is the B division and is the 2nd best division out there?
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 24 2010, 10:56 PM) *
If it is B division what is a A division? 147 is a A division but what other divisions are an A? Or do you mean it is the B division and is the 2nd best division out there?

You know exactly what I mean...it's a B division full of B and C level fighters.

Which is a major improvement over last decade...where it was a C division with one A- fighter...yes...Calzaghe was an A- fighter at best.

alaganza
Love the tourney. I wish they would do it in every division. I think it's good for boxing to know who the man is in every division and not just leave it to interpretation.
Method
With ya CEO. You have a bunch of B and C level guys so it actually makes for some generally entertaining, barroom brawls, save for Ward.
Spyder
Totally agree. When the Tourny was first announced, I was uninterested...but now I'm hooked.

I've only seen one 360 as well...lol
Mean Mister Mustard
A tournament should be held in every division.
thehype
Tournaments suck if you don't have all the best fighters competing in them.

At the end of this tournament, what's the winner going to say?

"Yay, I won the Super Six tournament...now I'm still not considered the best in the division because this asshole Bute is still floating around out there."

LOL.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I've actually been kind of bored with all the Super Six fights. The only thing nice about it is that we already know an ass load of fights are signed, sealed and set to be delivered. That's kind of nice. On the flip side, there's been a couple of controversies that would have been nice to clear up wtih an immediate rematch (i.e. Dirrell vs. Froch or even Dirrell vs. Abraham...although I do think Dirrell would have ended up making it the distance and getting the nod on the scorecards). Still though, I can't complain...a fight is a fight so I'll definitely watch, but I'm just saying, at the end of the day, I don't think this tournament is accomplishing all that much. One would think that, eventually, a lot of these fights would have happened sooner or later...I mean, after all, who else were all these guys going to fight anyway? Hell, for all we know, this tournament could be getting in the way of other fights that could have happened. Pavlik vs. Abraham would have been nice to see..or Bute vs. any of them...etc.

Just a thought.
Method
Absolutely. Hence my comment about entertaining barroom brawls. Not saying this is moving the sport, but keeping me interested, not necessarily on the particular fight night, but often times on a random Tuesday or Wednesday evening, when I want to tune out life and occupy my mind with other shit.
Snoop
I agree with both the pros and cons in this thread. Overall though, it brought some life to a dead division. Gotta give em credit for that.
SmartyBeardo
Every division could use a Super Six.
thehype
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 25 2010, 01:13 AM) *
I agree with both the pros and cons in this thread. Overall though, it brought some life to a dead division. Gotta give em credit for that.

Eh...I don't know...the division still feels kind of dead to me. LOL. All the fucking divisions are dead, except for 140 and 147. LOL. 154 seems somewhat interesting, I guess, but man, when you really think about it, there just ain't too many hot fights out there to be made. It's kind of sad. That's why I need Mayorga back...that's why cats like Zab Judah just gotta get back in there...I mean, even if they're losing, those names just bring more interest. Hell, even Hatton...and Calzaghe...as sad as I hate to admit it, even he needs to get back in there...Lacy...Taylor...all those cats man...fuck, I'll even take Fernando Vargas back...just bring me some interesting matchups man. And I know...that sounds bad at first, but shit, I'll take Lacy vs. Vargas at 168...why not? LOL. There's just not enough good fights with big names to be made out there. Yeah, the Super Six is cool and all, but man, I could care less if I ever see half of those guys fight again. LOL. Just ignore me...I'm ramblin...I'm fvckin drunk...I need some sleep. I know it's bad when I'm talking about Lacy vs. Vargas at 168. LOL. WTF am I saying? LOL. But hey...don't lie...you would watch that kind of fight on a PPV undercard...don't lie! LOL.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 25 2010, 01:59 AM) *
I know it's bad when I'm talking about Lacy vs. Vargas at 168. LOL. WTF am I saying? LOL. But hey...don't lie...you would watch that kind of fight on a PPV undercard...don't lie! LOL.

Yep, that's pretty bad.

Come on Hype, Angulo/Julio was a good fight. Froch/Kessler was a decent match. Even Frijoleola/Adamek was worth watching.

I cannot tell a lie, I would indeed watch Lacy/Vargas on a PPV undercard.
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 25 2010, 06:59 AM) *
Eh...I don't know...the division still feels kind of dead to me.

Deader than before the Super Six? I mean it may not be the WW divisions, but at least some people are starting to talk about a division nobody gave two shits about before right?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 25 2010, 02:13 AM) *
Deader than before the Super Six? I mean it may not be the WW divisions, but at least some people are starting to talk about a division nobody gave two shits about before right?

And that doesn't even take into account Bute.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 24 2010, 09:30 PM) *

As soon as Calzaghe left,windows started to open up real quickly in the division..Like I've said so many times,super middle and cruiser will be huge when light is shown on them..It didn't happen so much for cruiser after the contender but who really cares much about that show anyway..This tournament is what has kept me extremely interested in today's boxing(along with some other fighters)..I do gotta admit that I did lose some interest before the tourney began(which I really hate to have to admit)..It all came back shortly after this tourney began..I LOVE THIS TOURNAMENT..
enigma1969
I love the Super Six. The best fighting the best. Champions fighting champions. And there are no clear favorites. Each fighter has a different style. The only thing missing an extreme character along the likes of a Zab Judah.

I have not missed a single fight camp 360 ... excellent stuff.

Boxing on a world-wide stage.

I am a boxing fiend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.