Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Kirkland
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
xxxxxx
I haven't heard much about Kirkland lately since he went to prison back in September of 09, but after watching Angulo ko Julio I started to remember how Kirkland stopped Julio also. Kirkland was a major player in the 154 lb division. I believe he would be released from prison in early 2011 and still be a young 27 or 28. What do you guys think his chances will be to come back and become world champion?
d843
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 25 2010, 06:15 PM) *
I haven't heard much about Kirkland lately since he went to prison back in September of 09, but after watching Angulo ko Julio I started to remember how Kirkland stopped Julio also. Kirkland was a major player in the 154 lb division. I believe he would be released from prison in early 2011 and still be a young 27 or 28. What do you guys think his chances will be to come back and become world champion?
I'v been a fan of this dude for awhile.I just hope he stays focused & hungry until he gets out.If he does,I think he goes down as a great!
JonnyBlaze
If it were Kirkland vs. Angulo before Kirkland got locked up I think Kirkland would of whooped Angulo's ass..I fuckin HATE Angulo(he's a nice guy but can't stand him when he's in the ring)..
Douchebag
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 25 2010, 08:53 PM) *
If it were Kirkland vs. Angulo before Kirkland got locked up I think Kirkland would of whooped Angulo's ass..I fuckin HATE Angulo(he's a nice guy but can't stand him when he's in the ring)..

Kirkland would beat the living shit out of An-culo. To bad James is an idiot.
D-MARV
I disagree. I think Angulo's straighter, more technical shots would have hurt Kirkland.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 25 2010, 08:53 PM) *

Are you fuckin kidding me? Did you watch the same fight I did last night? What, you don't like seeing dudes sent to the place of chirps and tweets?

What the fuck more can you ask of a fighter? "I'm coming in and I'm going to throw molitov cocktails all night long. If you can take the heat, you win."

The Julio/Angulo fight has to be in the mix for fight of the year, to date. Julio looked sharp and Angulo just kept coming. Which announcer was it that kept suggesting (at the beginning) that Angulo looked drained the day before?

Only the baddest ass dogs need apply to fight Angulo. I'll go out of my way to see him fight anyone.
D-MARV
Julio spent too much time running for that fight to be a FOTY candidate. It was a good fight though.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 25 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Julio spent too much time running for that fight to be a FOTY candidate. It was a good fight though.

Have to disagree with you there. Julio was flaming Angulo in the first few. But, he lost confidence in his ability to hurt Angulo. Towards the end he did begin to run too much. By then it was too late.

I don't mind movement, as long as there is offense involved with it. Before the fight I felt that Adamek would end up the same as Julio but he was able to move enough and continue to score, while the frijoles came home to roost in Arreola's belly.
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 25 2010, 09:48 PM) *
I disagree. I think Angulo's straighter, more technical shots would have hurt Kirkland.

James is too vicious and chin is to good. An-culo has never faced anybody with that kind of heat.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 25 2010, 10:03 PM) *
James is too vicious and chin is to good. An-culo has never faced anybody with that kind of heat.

Wouldn't it be fun though?
Douchebag
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 25 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Wouldn't it be fun though?

Oh, I would thoroughly enjoy watching the puppy get decimated.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 25 2010, 10:03 PM) *

And who has Kirkland fought? I seen Kirkland nearly KO'd in 1 round by some C class fighter.

It would be a war... And they would be fighting the best fighter they've ever fought.
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 25 2010, 10:13 PM) *
And who has Kirkland fought? I seen Kirkland nearly KO'd in 1 round by some C class fighter.

It would be a war... And they would be fighting the best fighter they've ever fought.

Well, he fought.....ummmm......................Joel Julio and he was far more impressive in his win than Anculo.....
AussieLad
Fuckin hell. he's in prison? no wonder when i had him in my fantasy manager team he never scheduled a fight focus.gif

The CEO
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 25 2010, 10:07 PM) *
Oh, I would thoroughly enjoy watching the puppy get decimated.

Me too...Angulo is a pinche fresa.

xxxxxx
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 26 2010, 05:03 AM) *
Well, he fought.....ummmm......................Joel Julio and he was far more impressive in his win than Anculo.....

That's what I was thinking when I was watching the fight the other day. Kirkland beat the piss out of Julio...much worse than Angulo. I'm not saying Kirkland would beat Angulo, but I think if he had a decent game plan he could get the W. When Kirkland gets out I just hope he has matured and grown up. He needs to make better decisions out of the ring to reach his potential in the ring. He is a very exciting fighter to watch though and will be good for boxing when he returns next year.
D-MARV
Comparing common opponents isn't always a good idea... Margarito beat Cotto a lot worst than Shane did... Just saying

Besides Julio did a lot of running in Saturday's fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 26 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Comparing common opponents isn't always a good idea... Margarito beat Cotto a lot worst than Shane did... Just saying

It usually isn't but I think in this case we can make an exception because both Kirkland and Anculo have the same come forward style. It's just that James is better at it.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 26 2010, 11:29 AM) *
It usually isn't but I think in this case we can make an exception because both Kirkland and Anculo have the same come forward style. It's just that James is better at it.

Except... Julio did a lot more running in the Angulo fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 26 2010, 11:34 AM) *
Except... Julio did a lot more running in the Angulo fight.

Don't ignore the fact that James MADE Julio fight because he effectively cut the ring off and put effective pressure on him.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 26 2010, 10:25 AM) *

That's true D-Marv and that's why I made the comment that "I'm not saying Kirkland could beat Angulo". But using Margarito in this case is not a good idea either because he could of and prolly did have loaded gloves in his fight with Cotto. A better example on your part would have been Ali-Frazier-Foreman fights.
xxxxxx
Just heard Kirkland will be released from prison on October 2nd of this year and may possible have a tuneup before the year is over. This is good news for boxing and bad news for any of the top fighters at 154. Cotto-Kirkland would be a war!
D-MARV
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jun 8 2010, 07:49 PM) *
Just heard Kirkland will be released from prison on October 2nd of this year and may possible have a tuneup before the year is over. This is good news for boxing and bad news for any of the top fighters at 154. Cotto-Kirkland would be a war!

Fuck Kirkland-Cotto... I want Kirkland-Vanes M. That would be a fresh piece of Pussy that Kirkland can fuck when he returns.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 8 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Fuck Kirkland-Cotto... I want Kirkland-Vanes M. That would be a fresh piece of Pussy that Kirkland can fuck when he returns.

laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 9 2010, 12:02 AM) *

That would be a massacre.
King Eugene
I dont see Cotto lasting too long against a hungry Kirkland. He'll dominate early but if he(Cotto) tires late it could get real ugly! I honestly dont pick Cotto over none of the top guys at 154 except maybe Spinks soley because Spinks cant keep Cotto off of him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 9 2010, 01:06 AM) *
I dont see Cotto lasting too long against a hungry Kirkland. He'll dominate early but if he(Cotto) tires late it could get real ugly! I honestly dont pick Cotto over none of the top guys at 154 except maybe Spinks soley because Spinks cant keep Cotto off of him.

Spinks may not be able to keep him off him but I think Spinks would outbox him..You can't KO what you can't find so I'd like to see how it'd play out..If I had to pick who'd win,I'd pick Spinks..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 9 2010, 02:53 AM) *
Spinks may not be able to keep him off him but I think Spinks would outbox him..You can't KO what you can't find so I'd like to see how it'd play out..If I had to pick who'd win,I'd pick Spinks..

Spinks doesn't move like he use too. Deandre Latimore was able to catch him early and with Cotto's seek and destroy mentality I could see him catching Spinks early. Spinks is a tough cat but I dont see him outboxing Cotto for 12 straight rounds before getting caught.
D-MARV
Cotto would FUCK Spinks up badly... Similar to the Judah fight. Spinks is shot, I felt that was evident in the Lattimore fight. His legs are done and he was forced to exchange more. Not to mention, Spinks hasn't fought since that fight... I would assume that he's even more shot. I heard a rumor that dude was almost 200 pounds a few months ago.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 9 2010, 10:26 AM) *
Cotto would FUCK Spinks up badly... Similar to the Judah fight. Spinks is shot, I felt that was evident in the Lattimore fight. His legs are done and he was forced to exchange more. Not to mention, Spinks hasn't fought since that fight... I would assume that he's even more shot. I heard a rumor that dude was almost 200 pounds a few months ago.

i wouldnt say spinks is shot as much as i would say he is rusty as hell... he doesnt fight enough especially for the style he tries to fight with.. i know this for fact him and his wife just got off of a very lavish vacation in florida... they where kicking it strong right before the announcement of the bundradge fight... and its a shame cuzz a primed spinks gives anybody some problems...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Spinks isn't shot, he was just a bit rusty against Lattimore. Towards the end of the fight he was slipping shots well, and countering well too. Like I already said though, I gotta see how Spinks looks against K9 to see if he has a legit shot against Cotto. I think if Spinks can slip shots still he has a good shot. Foreman was way too easy to hit for Cotto, but lets see how Cotto reacts if he can't land those shots. It'd be a tough fight for Spinks, but if he has somthing left in the tank it's winnable.
JD
Man is Kirkland coming back at a good time.
D-MARV
I'm telling you now, Cotto would DESTROY Spinks... rusty or not rusty.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
We'll see, I'm not going to disagree 100% with that statement. He's been out of the ring for awhile, and isn't getting any younger. However, if he looks slick against K9 and his movement is fine, then he gives Cotto some problems. Spinks is bit taller than Cotto too, so if he can stick that jab out there he may be able touch up Cotto a bit. I would never count Cory out of a fight. Jermain Taylor was supposed to crush him at 160, but he arguably took that one. Mayorga was supposed to take his head off back in 03, but Mayorga swung at air all night. I know it all means nothing, but I would never count him out. Cotto looked great the other night, so maybe he's prime to take out all of 154.

If Cotto wanted to lead up to a fight with Margarito, I'd like to see him fight DeAndre Lattimore. Lattimore is a hard puncher, and he'll put the pressue on Cotto rounds 1-12. He's given Sechew Powell hell in two fights, and nearly beat Spinks. Cotto has trouble with pressure fighters, so lets see if he can build some confidence against a solid 154 contender that puts the heat on. Just a thought.
King Eugene
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 11 2010, 02:36 PM) *
I'm telling you now, Cotto would DESTROY Spinks... rusty or not rusty.

I was thinking the same thing. I could see next year being a big year in the 154-160 division.

I just hate all the better known fighters are only fighting once, maybe two or three times a year.
Spyder
If Kirkland hasn't been staying in shape, then he won't be doing SHIT for a while...especially against someone like Miguel Cotto.

They should probably put him in there with someone like K-9 first, to get his confidence up with a spectacular KO...then a feather fisted dude like Yuri or Vanes before even thinking about a fight with Cotto.
King Eugene
Kirkland Update

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Junior middleweight contender James Kirkland, who has been in a Texas prison since April 2009 after pleading guilty to gun possession by a convicted felon, will be released into a halfway house on Oct. 2 and plans a speedy return to the ring, co-manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com.

"I think we'll see him in the ring within two months after he gets out, maybe sooner," Dunkin said. "He's been working out. Maybe he'll be 165 when he's released. He's about 173 now. He's kept his weight under control. You may see him six weeks after he gets out."

Kirkland (25-0, 22 KOs) was one of the most fearsome punchers in boxing and on a fast rise to a title shot when he was arrested near his hometown of Austin on the charge just a few weeks before a scheduled appearance on the Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton HBO PPV undercard in May 2009.

Kirkland, 26, pleaded guilty in July and was sentenced to 2 years in prison, well below the federal guidelines of 47 to 57 months, perhaps because of an outpouring of support at his sentencing hearing, including from his promoter, Golden Boy's Oscar De La Hoya.

Kirkland hasn't fought since stopping Joel "Love Child" Julio in the sixth round in March 2009.

Dunkin said it was impossible to know how the long layoff would impact him.

"Nobody has any idea, but knowing James' heart and the way he is mentally, and the way he gets in shape physically, he's going to come back on a tear," Dunkin said. "He's going to be nasty in a positive way. He's going to want to work hard and prove he's not a screwup. He doesn't want to lose all that he's worked for. I think he'll look terrific and train hard and do the right things."

Kirkland was on probation for a 2003 armed robbery conviction when he was arrested after buying the firearm, using his own identification, at a gun show near Austin. The weapon was later discovered during a traffic stop. Because, as a convicted felon, Kirkland was barred from possessing a gun, his purchase was a serious offense.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
JD
Based upon Kirkland's style, I think his first opponent is going to be turned into a bag of sauce.
neophyte7
scumbags like Kirkland probably think he is the toughest motherfucker on the planet because they have done crime and victimized people. I would love to to see this piece of shit KO'd to the point of no return...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 17 2010, 10:08 AM) *
scumbags like Kirkland probably think he is the toughest motherfucker on the planet because they have done crime and victimized people. I would love to to see this piece of shit KO'd to the point of no return...

really... what makes james a scumbag?... because he had a gun under probation?.. id say that may not make him the smartest person but i think anybody that had just been a victim of jackin would have that same mindset.. just saying...
The Original MrFactor
Kirkland reminds me alot of Lacy at 168. He's young, hungry, has some power and is willing to get dirty and brawl. Kirkland will be beaten by a guy with Calzaghe's attributes. A guy who can just throw short crisp punches for three minutes per round. I dont see that kind of guy at 154. Maybe Williams. I think Williams may be showing some vulnerabilities lately. He gets hit way to much. He could take those WW punches. His armor is getting cracked at 154 and 160. Kirkland/Williams will eventually happen. I may pick Kirkland in a tough grind it out fight. Martinez/Kirkland has to happen as well. I see that one as a Lacy/Calzaghe type of fight.
JLUVBABY
im sure most wont agree but in my opinion williams seems to be degressing as a fighter... i dont know if its the weight shifting he's done or maybe he was a little over hyped but he is really showing kinks in his armor lately...
Method
Shit, I though Williams and Margarito was a draw, and any illusions of grandeur I had about Williams came to a needle-scratching-off-the-record halt when he lost to Carlos fucking Quintana.

King Eugene
Kirkland Getting Out Sooner

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Junior middleweight contender James Kirkland is getting out of prison ahead of schedule, co-manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Kirkland's original release date of Oct. 2 has been moved up to Sept. 17, Dunkin said.

"Sept. 17 is my birthday, so that's the greatest birthday present I could have right now," Dunkin said. "I'm so happy."

Kirkland (25-0, 22 KOs) was one of the hottest rising stars in boxing before going to prison near his hometown of Austin, Texas, in April 2009 after pleading guilty to gun possession by a convicted felon.

Kirkland will be released into a halfway house, where he will be for six months, Dunkin said. Dunkin said he thought the reason for the release coming earlier than expected was because a spot at a halfway house had become available.

"He'll go to the halfway house, but he'll have the right to travel and the right to train and fight," Dunkin said.

Dunkin said Kirkland, 26, intends to fight as soon as possible after his release, and Dunkin has already spoken to his promoter, Golden Boy, about a plan.

"I've been talking with [matchmaker] Eric Gomez and [CEO] Richard Schaefer about when he's going to fight," Dunkin said. "We think we can get him a fight in October and get him going."

Schaefer said he hoped Kirkland would fight twice before the end of the year.

"The plan would be to have him fight a couple of times before the end of the year, starting maybe in October," Schaefer said. "We'll see what works best for him, but then have him fight again in December, maybe on one of our [untelevised] HBO undercards and maybe HBO could show highlights of his fight. After that, hopefully, James and his management feel he is ready to pick up where he left off, which was terrorizing the junior middleweight division."

Dunkin said Kirkland weighed 173 pounds at last check with his clothes on and would have no problem getting close to his weight class of 154 pounds once he begins serious training.

He has not fought since stopping Joel "Love Child" Julio in the sixth round on HBO in March 2009. He was supposed to fight on the pay-per-view undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton fight in May 2009, but the fight was canceled when he was arrested.

Kirkland was on probation for a 2003 armed robbery conviction when he was arrested after buying a firearm, using his own identification, at a gun show near Austin. The weapon was discovered during a traffic stop and because Kirkland was a convicted felon, he was barred from possessing a gun, making his offense a serious one.

"It was wrong, what he did, and he had to pay for it," Schaefer said. "Hopefully, now he will be able to resume his career and learn from what has happened."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 17 2010, 11:08 AM) *

I think you will get your wish. Kirkland throws some very wide punches and leaves himself open to straight counters. He hasn't got the greatest chin, although he does show heart, it will not be enough. He will get KO-ed sooner rather than later. He always seemed to me to be a poor man's Tyson.
King Eugene
PWill vs. Kirkland would be a war!

salvador
I got the feeling that HBO was planting the seeds for a fight between Kirkland and Angulo - letting them both build their resumes and hype the way they've been doing with Lopez and Gamboa. Kirkland-Angulo would be great.
King Eugene
QUOTE (salvador @ Aug 7 2010, 04:11 AM) *
I got the feeling that HBO was planting the seeds for a fight between Kirkland and Angulo - letting them both build their resumes and hype the way they've been doing with Lopez and Gamboa. Kirkland-Angulo would be great.

That would be one hell of a fight. Much more of a pick'em than Williams vs. Kirkland. I wouldn't be surprised if they still do it. I mean Kirkland's advisors said they plan to have him fight twice before the year is out. A few fights next year and I could see them squaring off in either Fall or late summer 2011.
Keith
Kirkland against anyone is compelling.

I would love to see Kirkland against Angulo, Williams, Martinez.... shit, I'd even like to see him share the ring with Mosley or Margarito.

There is just a lot of name and talent that can fight at 154.

JD
I am very excited to see Kirkland get his ass back in the ring.

Get his head right...back in condition...and start battering dudes at 154 again.

I would love to see Floyd fight Kirkland, that would interesting to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.