Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing Gloves
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
pesticid
Hi guys,

I need some help here, I was looking at the everlast gloves and they have some cheap training gloves ($40-$60), but I am not sure what the quality is like.
So any help as far as sparring boxing gloves would be greatly appreciated. I thought about the Canadian Tire ones that are priced like 20 something bucks, but I am not sure if they would be good for sparring.
Has anybody sparred with the Canadian Tire gloves, the laceless ones?
pesticid
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 25 2010, 10:45 PM) *
In my experience with 16 oz gloves (deep in a previous millenium), they are kind of like pillows. The stuffing starts moving around, the leather stretches. I always preferred the lace up style, because I didn't tape the wrist area of the gloves. You can always replace laces, as well as pull them tighter. Eye holes tend to wear though, but again that was in ancient Rome.

I love the laces too, unfortunately most of the gloves with laces are quite pricey. I haven't boxed seriously since my teenage years, but I am trying to set up some white collar boxing and I don't want to hit my buddies with 12 or 14 ounces.
thehype
Grant!
pesticid
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 25 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Grant!

I just check the grant gloves with laces, $89 the cheapest not bad at all if I don't have to cover two pairs of gloves of course. Thanks!
pesticid
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 25 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Even with 16 oz gloves you are going to have some blood drawn and feelings hurt.

I know we've had those experience in a buddy's garage, that's why I want to get some head gear, I saw some pretty affordable head gear for 50 bucks, that covers the cheeks and the chin. It will be beneficial to have the headgear because less people will be afraid to glove em up, no cuts or busted ears, the worst that can happen is a broken nose but most novice "boxers" can't throw a good straight punch anyway.
Spyder
I always liked Ringside training gloves. http://www.ringside.com/
pesticid
I checked them out, their collection is not bad.

I was thinking about getting Russ Anber's gloves at http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/rivalbiz/c378111341/index.html
but they are a bit pricey I think. For those who don't know who Russ is, he's a Canadian boxing trainer and broadcaster in both French in English. The guy is from Montreal after all, but he really makes his money off his boxing equipment.
pesticid
Hey maybe, fighthype can get an ad for rivalboxing with Russ smile.gif
Spyder
I've never used or know anyone to use Rival gloves, so I can't comment on them.

I have a pair of Title gloves that I like too.
pesticid
How do you feel about these title gloves http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic...ing-gloves.html for sparring I mean, the 14 ounces?

Rival is popular in Canada cause they make boxing rings and what not and Russ is not a bad promoter of his interests anyway.
pesticid
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 25 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I've never used or know anyone to use Rival gloves, so I can't comment on them.

I have a pair of Title gloves that I like too.

Hey thanks for that, they do have very,very afordable gloves with laces. I found a store in Toronto and if that doesn't pan out I'll probably order some title gloves. I want to get them with laces because some gloves are too big on the inside and the laces can sort of do the trick so it would be ideal. 16 ounces with laces and for less than $50. Nice!
What is the model that you have and how many ounces are they?
mbills
Winning gloves are the best for sparring/training. However, they are retardedly expensive and I dont know what you are looking to spend. Grants are a very close second, but again are pricey. If you're looking to compete on a semi pro/pro level, Winning or Grant is the way to go, but to mess around in ringside & title both make good stuff.
Snoop
For me Title is the best value in that it's affordable and reliable gear. I usually recommend it for people just starting to box because they don't know their own level of dedication, so many times people quit after a few months, that way they're only out a few bucks rather than many.

I think Ringside is the next level in that they make higher quality stuff than Title but are still pretty affordable. I have a couple of pairs of bag gloves from them and I've never been disappointed.

Once you get to a serious level of dedication, then you start considering the Grants, Winning, Everlast (the high end catalog), etc. In those brands there is a noticeable difference in quality, but the costs are only justified if you're using them frequently.
Snoop
QUOTE (mbills @ Apr 26 2010, 06:14 AM) *
Winning gloves are the best for sparring/training. However, they are retardedly expensive and I dont know what you are looking to spend. Grants are a very close second, but again are pricey. If you're looking to compete on a semi pro/pro level, Winning or Grant is the way to go, but to mess around in ringside & title both make good stuff.

Winning brand is the best I've ever sparred with, but they are easily the most expensive glove on the market.
mbills
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 26 2010, 02:21 AM) *
Winning brand is the best I've ever sparred with, but they are easily the most expensive glove on the market.

You've got that right lol.. I use Grants because I like to customize and they are definately the best looking gloves.. Ever. Winnings are great, but if you bore easily, Grants are the way to go.
Spyder
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 25 2010, 11:33 PM) *
Hey thanks for that, they do have very,very afordable gloves with laces. I found a store in Toronto and if that doesn't pan out I'll probably order some title gloves. I want to get them with laces because some gloves are too big on the inside and the laces can sort of do the trick so it would be ideal. 16 ounces with laces and for less than $50. Nice!
What is the model that you have and how many ounces are they?

I got a pair of these around ten years ago...HEAVILY used 16oz...and I still have/use them today. http://store.titleboxing.com/ctsgl1.html

I got the hook/loop attachment for them after I got tired of needing someone else to lace them up for me. Very good gloves for the money, although I'm probably ready to retire them from bag work. My heavy bag is extremely hard and about 110lbs...for about the last year or so I had to change the way I wrap my hands. I kept getting those damn blood vessels popping between my pinky and ring finger...lol
pesticid
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 26 2010, 08:54 AM) *
I got a pair of these around ten years ago...HEAVILY used 16oz...and I still have/use them today. http://store.titleboxing.com/ctsgl1.html

I got the hook/loop attachment for them after I got tired of needing someone else to lace them up for me. Very good gloves for the money, although I'm probably ready to retire them from bag work. My heavy bag is extremely hard and about 110lbs...for about the last year or so I had to change the way I wrap my hands. I kept getting those damn blood vessels popping between my pinky and ring finger...lol

Spyder, how big are they on the inside? This is probably the pair that I would want to buy but I am always concerned about buying stuff like shoes and gloves without trying them first. The security blanket here is that they have laces, but hopefully not too big on the inside. I am like a small guy, 5 6/ 140
Snoop
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 26 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Spyder, how big are they on the inside? This is probably the pair that I would want to buy but I am always concerned about buying stuff like shoes and gloves without trying them first. The security blanket here is that they have laces, but hopefully not too big on the inside. I am like a small guy, 5 6/ 140

I had a pair like these for 3 years and they never tore on the inside. If you're looking for something a bit smaller, get the "Mexican style" training gloves. Same quality and weight, but the glove is more compacted and smaller around the fist.
HaydelHammer
I use Everlast and Reyes. My Reyes ran me about $120

BigG
I use Twins/Windy/Everlast. All great gloves!
Spyder
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 26 2010, 09:01 AM) *

Not too big. My hands aren't big, and they fit me securely. The laces are cool for security/peace of mind...but they really do become a pain in the ass. The hook n loop closures are the best way to go for training gloves.

If you do end up getting the lace-up pair, pick yourself up some cheap sweat bands to cover your laces instead of tape.
King Eugene
I've always used Grant straps.
pesticid
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 26 2010, 09:21 AM) *
I had a pair like these for 3 years and they never tore on the inside. If you're looking for something a bit smaller, get the "Mexican style" training gloves. Same quality and weight, but the glove is more compacted and smaller around the fist.

You know what, you had me convinced going with this pair. Earlier today I went to a mma/boxing store downtown Toronto and the 16 ounces gloves with laces all felt a little too spacey on the inside. The velcro system definitely had the better feel.
So I called Title just to inquire about their shipping methods because there is not much information on the website in terms of money and shipping time, but the customer service rep was really clueless, he just wanted to get rid of me.
So I ordered a pair of Rival boxing gloves just now. I did spend twice as much as I wanted to, but there is no shipping cost. They are in Montreal so by ground mail they should probably arrive here by Friday and the customer service rep was really knowledgeable and explained everything to me. These rival gloves are hybrid with lace and velcro. They sell them on the Title website too.

Here are the links with the gloves on the rival website and the title web site:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/boxing-equip.../p17531507.html Rival

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-traditi...ing-gloves.html Title Boxing.

Thanks for the help guys!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 25 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Grant!

I have/use Grant gloves..They are the best quality glove Ive ever worn..They basically mold to your hand after using them for awhile..Downside is,quality=money..I was selling fights to people and saved up 170+ bucks to buy em..Lace up of course..Gloves today have gone downhill..They don't open up enough to parry properly with and the finger part of the glove goes real far down towards the palm instead of higher up,making it easier to open the glove all the way..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 26 2010, 03:09 PM) *
You know what, you had me convinced going with this pair. Earlier today I went to a mma/boxing store downtown Toronto and the 16 ounces gloves with laces all felt a little too spacey on the inside. The velcro system definitely had the better feel.
So I called Title just to inquire about their shipping methods because there is not much information on the website in terms of money and shipping time, but the customer service rep was really clueless, he just wanted to get rid of me.
So I ordered a pair of Rival boxing gloves just now. I did spend twice as much as I wanted to, but there is no shipping cost. They are in Montreal so by ground mail they should probably arrive here by Friday and the customer service rep was really knowledgeable and explained everything to me. These rival gloves are hybrid with lace and velcro. They sell them on the Title website too.

Here are the links with the gloves on the rival website and the title web site:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/boxing-equip.../p17531507.html Rival

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-traditi...ing-gloves.html Title Boxing.

Thanks for the help guys!

I really dislike Rival gear..The gloves in my opinion suck..I dont like the way they feel and I also don't like the way they look(which doesn't matter as long as the glove is right)..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 26 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I been using Twins/Fairtex

Fairtex are pretty good gloves.

I've got a pair of Title 14 oz and they've lasted me ages although I do need a new pair now.

I might just put some socks on my hands.
King Eugene
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Apr 27 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Fairtex are pretty good gloves.

I've got a pair of Title 14 oz and they've lasted me ages although I do need a new pair now.

I might just put some socks on my hands.

Isn't it your birthday?
pesticid
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 26 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I have/use Grant gloves..They are the best quality glove Ive ever worn..They basically mold to your hand after using them for awhile..Downside is,quality=money..I was selling fights to people and saved up 170+ bucks to buy em..Lace up of course..Gloves today have gone downhill..They don't open up enough to parry properly with and the finger part of the glove goes real far down towards the palm instead of higher up,making it easier to open the glove all the way..

That's an interesting point, I haven't seen people parrying jabs like I don't even remember in how long. Now is it because of the gloves or is it a lost art. Actually, I think JM Marquez does parry on a much more consistent basis especially now that his reflexes have slowed down. Of the top of my head, I can't think of another active fighter.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 10:17 PM) *
That's an interesting point, I haven't seen people parrying jabs like I don't even remember in how long. Now is it because of the gloves or is it a lost art. Actually, I think JM Marquez does parry on a much more consistent basis especially now that his reflexes have slowed down. Of the top of my head, I can't think of another active fighter.

It's a lost art..There is a lot involved with the parry and a lot that it does..It's not just to stop a jab..Watch the way Joe Louis,Marciano,Robinson,and others would parry a jab..It's almost like they are making a circle around their face and use the momentum of the opponents jab against them..They have full control over their opponents hand..They raise it up around their forehead incase the opponent throws a right hand which will make the opponent hit his own arm with his right hand(I've done it and so have my stablemates)..Also,if they throw it while you're moving around the left side of your face,your hand is right there to catch the right hand..Archie Moore did this a lot..He'd parry and would sometimes keep his arm on there when he'd see the right hand coming..The reason you parry this way is also to make their have to reload their arm and not be able to double or triple their jab..Another reason is to counter off it..You can also parry a right hand and bring them into a left hook or parry their jab and while their whole side of their face is exposed,you get a free shot on them with a right hand..The parry also drains the life out of your opponents jabbing arm..

SCIENCE!!!
Spyder
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...boxing_everlast

Cool article about Everlast gloves and their plan to take back market share, redesign of their gloves, etc...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 29 2010, 03:02 PM) *
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...boxing_everlast

Cool article about Everlast gloves and their plan to take back market share, redesign of their gloves, etc...

Good find..Can't wait to see how the new gloves turn out..Sounds like they are trying to copy Grant and Reyes a bit though..We'll see..
rosalind
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 25 2010, 09:13 PM) *
Hi guys,

I need some help here, I was looking at the everlast gloves and they have some cheap training gloves ($40-$60), but I am not sure what the quality is like.
So any help as far as sparring boxing gloves would be greatly appreciated. I thought about the Canadian Tire ones that are priced like 20 something bucks, but I am not sure if they would be good for sparring.
Has anybody sparred with the Canadian Tire gloves, the laceless ones?

I don't know much about everlast gloves but may be the other members can help you. I have a pair of red cheap boxing gloves that I like too. Don't know if you have buy the right boxing gloves, you also can refer the following link
http://www.boxingforum.com/boxing-equipmen...ing-gloves.html
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 27 2010, 02:09 AM) *
Isn't it your birthday?

Just seen this!

Nah, the 27th was my brothers birthday - blackbelt.
King Eugene
I purchased a new pair of the Everlast training gloves about a month back. Everlast Gloves These are some pretty good gloves to train with. I'm going to be looking to purchase some new sparring gloves as well in the near future. I've been using some cross training shoe and a pair of Jordan basketball shoes to train in so far but looking to purchase a pair of boxing shoes. I'll probably just end up getting a descent pair of wrestling shoes but want to know do any of you guys have any recommendations and what do you guys use?
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 10 2010, 07:18 PM) *
I purchased a new pair of the Everlast training gloves about a month back. Everlast Gloves These are some pretty good gloves to train with. I'm going to be looking to purchase some new sparring gloves as well in the near future. I've been using some cross training shoe and a pair of Jordan basketball shoes to train in so far but looking to purchase a pair of boxing shoes. I'll probably just end up getting a descent pair of wrestling shoes but want to know do any of you guys have any recommendations and what do you guys use?

They aren't leather. I always use leather gloves.

Though using them for boxercise after your pilates class will probably be fine.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 10 2010, 05:39 AM) *
They aren't leather. I always use leather gloves.

Though using them for boxercise after your pilates class will probably be fine.

Um....I dont do pilates. I train at an actual boxing gym. My actual sparring gloves will be leather but as far as just hitting the bag and mitts the everlast will be fine. Thanks though.
caneman
grant if you got the $$$, title are decent for cheap ones though! I have a set of each! Good luck!
caneman
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 29 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Good find..Can't wait to see how the new gloves turn out..Sounds like they are trying to copy Grant and Reyes a bit though..We'll see..

Actually if they are a split between the 2, they could be a very good glove! I heard their new stuff with the side ways E are junk though! They fall apart & ain't worth the $$$ cause of it! Anyone hear the same thing?
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 10 2010, 08:05 PM) *
Um....I dont do pilates. I train at an actual boxing gym. My actual sparring gloves will be leather but as far as just hitting the bag and mitts the everlast will be fine. Thanks though.

lol. Trolled, or trolled?

But seriously, I would ALWAYS go with leather gloves. I have never used that synthetic crap, plus if they are bag gloves, they will probably go through a lot quicker than sparring gloves.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 10 2010, 05:18 AM) *

Definitely go with wrestling shoes. I have the same pair of adidas wrestling shoes for quite some time. My nephew(15 yrs.) actually used them a few times at wrestling tourneys and camps this summer.

I would love to see some footage of you training. I bet 99% of the time you just shadow box just so you can keep checking yourself out in the mirror. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 11 2010, 03:31 AM) *
Definitely go with wrestling shoes. I have the same pair of adidas wrestling shoes for quite some time. My nephew(15 yrs.) actually used them a few times at wrestling tourneys and camps this summer.

I would love to see some footage of you training. I bet 99% of the time you just shadow box just so you can keep checking yourself out in the mirror. laugh.gif

Yea thats what I'll probably end up getting.

I only shadow box 3 rounds a day every other day laugh.gif

If I ever get some footage I'll post it.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 12 2010, 12:09 AM) *
Yea thats what I'll probably end up getting.

I only shadow box 3 rounds a day every other day laugh.gif

If I ever get some footage I'll post it.

Cool.

I whipped out a few of my old fights on VHS last night, watched them on the big screen with one of my kids. Talk about bringing back memories. What would be the best bet for me to post a couple clips of them? I need not put music to them in the background or anything, just some brief glimpses of me in the ring. Would not want to bore anyone with something too long.

There on VHS, so maybe turn them to DVD first? Putting them on computer is way out of my league. Any advice King?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 12 2010, 12:29 AM) *
Cool.

I whipped out a few of my old fights on VHS last night, watched them on the big screen with one of my kids. Talk about bringing back memories. What would be the best bet for me to post a couple clips of them? I need not put music to them in the background or anything, just some brief glimpses of me in the ring. Would not want to bore anyone with something too long.

There on VHS, so maybe turn them to DVD first? Putting them on computer is way out of my league. Any advice King?

Ask Fitz and these other computer geeks on here. I'm clueless myself about VHS to Computer laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
I got some Reyes gloves that i've had since 97' and still going strong.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 12 2010, 05:28 AM) *
Do you have a DVD recorder?

Not at the moment, but am going to buy one very soon. Never really looked at them before, doing quick research right now.

Well... after some quick research on the net. Seems to me the easier way would be to just hook up my VCR to my computer and do it that way. Just need to buy a few things to get it working. It's about time I get around to this, I got 1000's of fights I want to transfer. Time to suck it up and get started.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.