Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greatest News I've heard all year!!!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Method
I fought anybody who got in the ring with me and never ducked anyone. - Jawnny Luiz

Never ducked anyone, but clinched EVERYONE!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt...le&id=27248

John "The Quiet Man" Ruiz Announces His Retirement

LAS VEGAS (Apr. 26, 2010) After a professional career spanning 18 years, highlighted by becoming the first and only Heavyweight World Champion of Latino heritage, two-time world champion John The Quietman Ruiz today announced his retirement from the ring.

Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KOs) defeated three world champions Evander Holyfield, Hasim Rahman and Tony Tucker as well as top contenders such as Andrew Golota, Fres Oquendo, Jameel McCline and Kirk Johnson. Six of Johns nine career losses were to world champions.

Ive had a great career but its time for me to turn the page and start a new chapter of my life, Ruiz said. Its sad that my final fight didnt work out the way I wanted, but, hey, thats boxing. Im proud of what Ive accomplished with two world titles, 12 championship fights, and being the first Latino Heavyweight Champion of the World. I fought anybody who got in the ring with me and never ducked anyone. Now, Im looking forward to spending more time with my family.

I want to thank all of fans for staying in my corner through a long, up-and-down ride, as well as members of my family and team my manager and legal advisor, Atty. Tony Cardinale, my brother, Eddie (cornerman), and Keith McGrath (strength-and conditioning coach) whove been with me so long. I also want to thank my trainer Miguel Diaz and (assistant) Richie Sandoval for teaching an old dog, new tricks, and my promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, the fairest promoter in boxing.

I was proud to be the WBA champion twice and have the opportunity to fight 12 times for the WBA championship, the oldest and most respected organization in boxing. Id particularly like to thank WBA President Gilberto Mendoza.

Ruiz plans to move from Las Vegas back home to the Boston area this year and open a boxing gym in the inner city. With my experiences in boxing, he explained, I want to go home and open a gym where kids will have a place to go, keeping them off of the streets, so they can learn how to box and build character. Someday, Id like to see one of them go on to represent the United States in the Olympics. I want them to have the same opportunity to see the world that I had as an amateur. Ive always tried to be involved in community and charity work in the past and now Ill have more time to work with kids.

Maybe, someday Ill get into training, but right now I just want to spend time with my wife, Maribelle, and my children. I wasnt around as much as I would have liked for my two oldest children, John and Jocelyn, because I was away training or fighting. Now, Ill be around for them and my 3-year-old son, Joaquin, as he grows up. Im going back to my roots in Massachusetts, where a lot of my family and friends live, and look forward to helping young boxers avoid some of the bad things that I experienced in the sport but help them to experience the good times, too. Boxing is brutal but also beautiful. As I look back, Im happy about my career, and my future is very bright.
D-MARV
War John Ruiz!!!!!

BGv2.0
I know it's going to sound crazy...but I honestly think the division is that much more uninteresting without Ruiz in it.

Even if you HATED him....at the very least he got an emotional response from you....that's something very few HWs do today.

BUT...it's time, 18 years in the sport as a HW is a good long run.

And even though he lost his last fight....he displayed heart and being game....so it's not a bad one to go out on...and who knows...IF Haye goes on to do something spectacular....it's really not a bad one to go out on.

xxxxxx
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 26 2010, 10:11 AM) *
War John Ruiz!!!!!

That pic of Valuev and Ruiz is just scary! laugh.gif On another note...congrats to Ruiz for a good career. He fought the best Heavy's of his era. Congrats.
alaganza
I'm not a big fan of Ruiz at all. But the bottom line is he dedicated a large portion of his life to the sport I love. In my book that counts for something. Congrats to John on his retirement.
Spyder
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 20 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Once John Ruiz officially retires, I'm out.

Peace, y'all!
thehype
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 26 2010, 01:12 PM) *
Peace, y'all!

Not so fast...you have to wait at least 2 years before any retirement announcement becomes official.

laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
Wow one of the all time greats decides to hang em up.

We'll see you in Canastota in 5 yrs big John............................yeah right. LOL
Byrd Man
JOHN RUIZ HALL OF FAMER!
Col Reb
He is such a nice guy, too bad he was never liked by boxing fans. While his style was terrible with Stone, he did try to change it in his later years. I love that pic with Valuev too; Nikolai lost some of his mojo after shaving his body and getting rid of the neanderthal look. Never was the same since! LOL
Jack 1000
This is GREAT news!!!!

The only better news than this would be Mayweather losing or losing by getting KTFO! LOL!

No, actually, getting back to Ruiz, Stone was such a POS, but he was the only entertaining POS to a fighter whom the WBA adopted as its bastard child getting chance, after chance, after chance at its heavyweight belt. Seeing Tua smoke Ruiz way back than is/was one of my favorite KO's in boxing! But at least Ruiz wasn't arrogant like Floyd is. That was ONE good thing about John. He didn't go around proclaiming he was "hot shit." The "Quiet Man" at least didn't duck fighters. Ruiz made no excuses for not fighting guys.

Ruiz was very average, but at least to his credit, fought everyone. Mayweather, one of the top P4P fighters of today, is hated so much for his personality as Ruiz is for his boring clinching style. In other words, two hated fighters, but for totally different reasons.

Jack
JLUVBABY
ROFL.... i read this early today but was waiting for the thread... lol...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Apr 26 2010, 11:18 AM) *
I know it's going to sound crazy...but I honestly think the division is that much more uninteresting without Ruiz in it.

Even if you HATED him....at the very least he got an emotional response from you....that's something very few HWs do today.

BUT...it's time, 18 years in the sport as a HW is a good long run.

And even though he lost his last fight....he displayed heart and being game....so it's not a bad one to go out on...and who knows...IF Haye goes on to do something spectacular....it's really not a bad one to go out on.

You remember when a fat tubby out of shape Toney embarrassed Ruiz? And to think of all the heavies Ruiz beat and gave tough challenges to.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 26 2010, 03:00 PM) *
Never ducked anyone, but clinched EVERYONE!

This should be a cause of extreme celebration.

Still.

I will say this for John Ruiz.

I was not a fan of his style of fighting ( who was?!) but he got more out of his talents than more naturally talented fighters than himself.

He did achieve more as a Heavyweight than David Tua, Andrew Golota, Ike Ibeabuchi ever did combine. None of them claim a heavyweight title. Each of them wasted their prime years because of a lack of focus, will and desire.

Says a lot about John Ruiz's self-belief and ability to maintain focused on his craft of being an professional prizefighter.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Apr 26 2010, 02:02 PM) *
He is such a nice guy, too bad he was never liked by boxing fans. While his style was terrible with Stone, he did try to change it in his later years. I love that pic with Valuev too; Nikolai lost some of his mojo after shaving his body and getting rid of the neanderthal look. Never was the same since! LOL

When did this happen??
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 27 2010, 01:00 AM) *
You remember when a fat tubby out of shape Toney embarrassed Ruiz? And to think of all the heavies Ruiz beat and gave tough challenges to.

You left out juiced to the eyeballs as well.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 27 2010, 03:41 AM) *
You left out juiced to the eyeballs as well.

LMAO! Yeah steroids played a big role in that fight. rolleyes_anim.gif Did you even look at Toney's body in that fight? He looked more like a sumo than a pro boxer.

The ONLY reason Toney toyed with Ruiz is a word called SKILL. Period. If you can not understand that, I am sorry. Your hate always gets in the way of logic when assessing Toney. Nice try though.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 27 2010, 04:03 AM) *
A steroid isn't used primarily for physical benefits, so what Toney looked like shouldn't matter a great deal. There have been many fat weight lifters as well.

What possible benefits did Toney attain by taking the type of Roid he took? Also, do not remember specifics, but was he not on something for an injury or something like that?

I know fat powerlifters take roids to increase strength for competitions and such, but I question what would it benefit Toney in a boxing match?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 27 2010, 09:10 AM) *
What possible benefits did Toney attain by taking the type of Roid he took? Also, do not remember specifics, but was he not on something for an injury or something like that?

I know fat powerlifters take roids to increase strength for competitions and such, but I question what would it benefit Toney in a boxing match?

So it is OK to use Stanozolol because it does not give a fighter benifits? Is it a coincidence that this was the heaviest Toney had weighed at heavy yet is regarded by many as his most impressive fight at heavyweight?

In bodybuilding stanozolol is typically "stacked" with other testosterone-based anabolic steroids. Stanozolol is liked by many due to the fact it causes strength increases without excess weight-gain, promotes increases in vascularity,and will not convert to estrogen. It also does not cause excess water retention, and even sometimes is thought to have a diuretic effect on the body.

Stanozolol is commonly used by athletes and bodybuilders alike to lose fat while retaining lean body mass. It is usually used in a "cutting cycle", to help preserve lean body mass
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 27 2010, 04:45 AM) *
So it is OK to use Stanozolol because it does not give a fighter benifits? Is it a coincidence that this was the heaviest Toney had weighed at heavy yet is regarded by many as his most impressive fight at heavyweight?

Steve who are these mythical 'many' that proclaim that as his most impressive HW performance? We all know that was the Holyfield fight. I actually thought he looked better against Booker (opposition not withstanding) and briefly in the 2nd Rahman fight. Maybe even the Guinn one as well.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 26 2010, 03:28 PM) *
This is GREAT news!!!!

The only better news than this would be Mayweather losing or losing by getting KTFO! LOL!

No, actually, getting back to Ruiz, Stone was such a POS, but he was the only entertaining POS to a fighter whom the WBA adopted as its bastard child getting chance, after chance, after chance at its heavyweight belt. Seeing Tua smoke Ruiz way back than is/was one of my favorite KO's in boxing! But at least Ruiz wasn't arrogant like Floyd is. That was ONE good thing about John. He didn't go around proclaiming he was "hot shit." The "Quiet Man" at least didn't duck fighters. Ruiz made no excuses for not fighting guys.

Ruiz was very average, but at least to his credit, fought everyone. Mayweather, one of the top P4P fighters of today, is hated so much for his personality as Ruiz is for his boring clinching style. In other words, two hated fighters, but for totally different reasons.

Jack

Scratch that. My favourite KO of all time. To be honest I lost all interest in Ruiz when Stoney got the heave. Without Stoney he was plain boring. But with Stoney.......shoot I used to wait the 3 minutes so we could get to the 1 minute in between rounds, not to mention if it went to the scorecards............. laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ Apr 26 2010, 08:41 PM) *
This should be a cause of extreme celebration.

Still.

I will say this for John Ruiz.

I was not a fan of his style of fighting ( who was?!) but he got more out of his talents than more naturally talented fighters than himself.

He did achieve more as a Heavyweight than David Tua, Andrew Golota, Ike Ibeabuchi ever did combine. None of them claim a heavyweight title. Each of them wasted their prime years because of a lack of focus, will and desire.

Says a lot about John Ruiz's self-belief and ability to maintain focused on his craft of being an professional prizefighter.

Well considering Ike went to jail that wouldn't be hard. Golota was insane and probably should be in jail as well and Tua due to woeful mismanagement never had as many opportunities as Ruiz, because if he had he would've won a belt as well.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 27 2010, 04:45 AM) *

I never said it was okay, I said skill is what beat Ruiz. Many actually thought this what Toney's
best fight at heavy???Are you kidding me? Toney looked better in other heavyweight fights than this one, he looked like shit to me against Ruiz. Though he still beat him due to his skill set.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 27 2010, 05:56 AM) *
Steve who are these mythical 'many' that proclaim that as his most impressive HW performance? We all know that was the Holyfield fight. I actually thought he looked better against Booker (opposition not withstanding) and briefly in the 2nd Rahman fight. Maybe even the Guinn one as well.

Oh... did not see this. laugh.gif So we are on the same page about this NOT being Toney's most impressive heavyweight fight. Agree with the above, except definitely the Guinn fight. I thought he gave Dominic a nice little beatdown, and looked decent in the process. He actually fought better to me in the first Peter fight too.
enigma1969
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 27 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Well considering Ike went to jail that wouldn't be hard. Golota was insane and probably should be in jail as well and Tua due to woeful mismanagement never had as many opportunities as Ruiz, because if he had he would've won a belt as well.

Ike made his choice ... so did Golota ... and you blame Tua's people for him gaining so much weight?! No those fighters made their own choices and the aftermath of those actions rest on them.

I am not saying he was a better fighter. He was just more of a professional. Doing his best and continuing to stay active and work hard.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:29 AM) *
Ike made his choice ... so did Golota ... and you blame Tua's people for him gaining so much weight?! No those fighters made their own choices and the aftermath of those actions rest on them.

I am not saying he was a better fighter. He was just more of a professional. Doing his best and continuing to stay active and work hard.

Tua's weight was a problem no doubt. However Tua unbelievebly only got one shot at the title. Would love to have seen how Jawny would've gone against prime Lewis. C'mon bro if Tua had got the exact same title shots Ruiz had are you telling me he wouldn't own a couple of straps? Pfft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.