Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Board Seminar Question #3
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
The CEO
"If you were a trainer, what plan(s) would you develop to defeat Floyd Mayweather?"

Tomorrow evening is the cutoff date so lets get some answers in ASAP...

thumbsup_anim.gif
Romulus9
Just ask Margarito.
Jack 1000
( I posted this in question#2, but it got pushed back, so I hope more can see it now!)

Here's a good question about the Zale-Graaziano fight series:

It has been well documented by several boxing sources that of the three Zale-Graziano fights, only their third meeting was ever filmed. Do you guys think that the sources could be wrong about the other two fights, where it is possible that someone, somewhere had or has a kinescope of these two matches complete? It is well known that from the early days of TV from about the 50's-70's hundreds to thousands of shows were NOT preserved on videotape. At that time, nobody realized any marquee value of saving most TV programs. (The first two Superbowls, the first ten years of Carson's Tonight Show, and most World Series Games before 1975 are best examples of programs known to no longer exist, at least not in their entirety, or be "lost.")

Do you believe that the first two Zale-Graziano fights were never filmed? Or that they could have been filmed and the footage simply no longer exists?

Jack
Spyder
Picture Floyd as a Dragon...then step on his tail, move to the side, and punch him in the mouth!

Woooooooo!

ps...Thanks for the help Naz!
Douchebag
If I where training Shane I would work on throwing stiff thudding jabs (not the flickering jab that he has been known for) to disrupt Floyd's rhythm. Shane has the longer reach so I would try to exploit that advantage with cutting off the ring and pressuring Floyd in spots behind the Jab and Hard right hands to the body early in the fight. I would also have Shane backing off of him from time to time, making Floyd the aggressor just to give him a different look and work on countering him. I give Floyd enough respect to bank on him countering Shane Jab with the over hand right so would work on Shane's head movement(I think that is where the towel from Brother Naz comes in). I would want Shane to mix it a bit with Floyd and impose his size on him so I would tell him to not be start to mix it up a bit with Floyd in the middle rounds. By that championship rounds come around I would want it to look like an all out war. I would tell Shane not let Floyd breathe let alone think in the ring. By that time IF my strategy is working Floyd punches should not be as dangerous and Shane would be able maul him a bit on his way to a decision win.

That said, I'm still picking Floyd by UD.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 11:24 AM) *
"If you were a trainer, what plan(s) would you develop to defeat Floyd Mayweather?"

thumbsup_anim.gif

The way to beat Floyd Mayweather is to apply pressure so that he can't do what he as always done so well in the past, box, jab, and, move. You have to get inside and pressure Floyd to the body, to the head, to the arms, anywhere, something that no fighter has done, or has at least been able to do since the first Castillo fight.

Than you have to hope that you don't have a "house ref" on Floyd Mayweather's side, who accuses you of holding, when you are working on punching Floyd to the body and to the head. Pressure is the name of the game in beating Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather has not had to deal with that type of pressure of a hard-punching inside fighter for many years. This kind of pressure can remove Mayweather's great boxing skills and force him into a "street-fight" which is not his style.

The problem is, I don't see Shane Mosley being able to apply that kind of pressure. In order for Shane to win this, he would have to be the fighter that he was in Delahoya I applying speed and pressure to Oscar forcing rapid-fire exchanges. Mosley no longer has the legs or reflexes to do that anymore. I still pick Floyd by close, but unanimous decision in a harder than expected fight. But Mosley often nowadays does not have a plan "B" and his increasingly hittable. If Shane's legs and body respond like they did against Vernon Forrest, Mosley could be in big trouble. Shane may be able to apply pressure in spurts, but it won't be enough to win.

Jack
pesticid
I will ask my fighter to hit him in the arms, shoulders, chest and neck. When people go to Floyd's body these days they mostly hit elbows. You can;t him cleanly in the face either, at least not often. The arms and the shoulders at least are there. He's a special talent, it's hard because I don't even think he's got a weak chin. So even if you land flush he most likely would be able to take it well.
The CEO
Good answers, guys...the Margarito answer says a lot for being so little...lol

btw...this is thread where I ask the Board a question, Jack...if you have a special question for ME, you can put it in the original Board Seminar thread...I'll bump that....probably won't use your question because it's not in my alley...lol...hope you understand...
Spyder
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 09:41 PM) *

btw...this is thread where I ask the Board a question, Jack...if you have a special question for ME, you can put it in the original Board Seminar thread...I'll bump that....probably won't use your question because it's not in my alley...lol...hope you understand...

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

The People need to know!!!

laugh.gif
The CEO
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 27 2010, 09:46 PM) *
ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

The People need to know!!!

laugh.gif

lol...be my guest....I'll use it if you can nail it pretty good...

in 250 words or less...lol
d843
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 11:24 AM) *

thumbsup_anim.gif
I know this is easier said then done but its quite simple.speed,pressure,movement,cutting off the ring & body shots.not necessary in that order
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Sure,

Actually, we don't need to bump the Zale-Graziano question, because what I posted in this thread WAS the same question! hahaha! But if anyone wants to contribute to my question about Zale-Graziano's fight series, it's in this thread.

A GREAT Mayweather Question by Fighthype's very own, CEO! This is why it's so great to have a CEO on the forums!

Jack
Lil-lightsout
1- DO NOT fight Floyd's fight. Do not let him pot shot you on the outside all night. You must be prepared to stay on the inside more and be a hard fast effective puncher. Hatton had the right idea, but not the necessary tools.

2- I would not worry about the head so much early on in the fight, and try and focus mainly on hard body shots early. Maybe the first half of the fight. Then after that I would want my fighter mixing in more head shots. When on the inside as Floyd likes to roll with right hands, that is where my fighter would focus on hard rights to the side of Floyd's body as he has his left side wide open.

3- Mental games. I would have my fighter taunt and try anything to get under PBF's skin. To maybe try and get him to open up more with his offense and be less defensive minded in there.

4- Floyd loves the left jab to the body a lot. I would have my fighter be extremely prepared for that, by as often as possible time Mayweather with fast straight rights over his jab. Maybe get a flash knockdown on an unsuspecting Floyd.

5- Watch the Castillo fights to kind of get a blueprint how he nullified him, and to show that Mayweather is far from unbeatable.

6- Floyd is undeniably a superbly conditioned athlete, in order to follow through with a winning gameplan, my fighter would have to also be as well conditioned and mentally fit for a fight with Floyd.
AussieLad
Simple

Although there are certain prerequisites. Being a dangerous fighter, be at least his size.

Then call mayweather out while you are still in your prime. Watch him duck, squirm and stutter his way out of a fight. When you are a past it, and mayweather deems you now a safe opponent, decline the fight saying floyd had his chance. Retire.

Moral victory is yours.... easy
blackbelt2003
Everybody talks about the only way to beat Floyd is to smother him and pressure him, mostly based on the first Castillo fight.

I say, "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, no!"

That's what Floyd WANTS everyone to do. He loves sitting in the pocket, doing his cute little shoulder rolls and bending down and up and popping in little counters. Charge at Floyd and he'll do that all day.

Here's what Floyd hates..... A JAB

Now that's oversimplifying things a little. You couldn't throw a Ricky Hatton in there and say, "Jab" and watch him morph into Larry Holmes or anything. Floyd is gonna whoop little Ricky whether he's jabbing, swinging or throwing hockey pucks.

But you get a fast, athletic, powerful guy with a real world class jab and you have potential right there for an upset.

If they can use that jab to stay on the outside (head AND body, Floyd doesn't like jabs to his body, they keep him off balance), controlling the centre of the ring, then moving inside and showing a 'raiding' tactic (i.e. throw a quick bunch of punches and get back out whilst Floyd is still shoulder rolling), then there's a chance of nicking a decision. Because here's the thing:

Floyd likes to TAKE HIS TIME on the inside. He'll ALWAYS let a guy throw a few shots first. He'll duck and dive, smile, body pop for a few punches...and THEN slam in his little counter shots which score him all his points. So fighters who just stay on the inside do so for too long and end up eating leather.

So the key is:

JAB on the outside (like DLH did, for, ooh, about four rounds in the middle of their fight)
FLURRY on the inside (whether you hit or not, just do it and GET OUT fast, back to long range and pump that jab again)

Whether Shane can do this is another question entirely.

Black
Douchebag
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Apr 28 2010, 07:47 AM) *
Everybody talks about the only way to beat Floyd is to smother him and pressure him, mostly based on the first Castillo fight.

I say, "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, no!"

That's what Floyd WANTS everyone to do. He loves sitting in the pocket, doing his cute little shoulder rolls and bending down and up and popping in little counters. Charge at Floyd and he'll do that all day.

Here's what Floyd hates..... A JAB

Now that's oversimplifying things a little. You couldn't throw a Ricky Hatton in there and say, "Jab" and watch him morph into Larry Holmes or anything. Floyd is gonna whoop little Ricky whether he's jabbing, swinging or throwing hockey pucks.

But you get a fast, athletic, powerful guy with a real world class jab and you have potential right there for an upset.

If they can use that jab to stay on the outside (head AND body, Floyd doesn't like jabs to his body, they keep him off balance), controlling the centre of the ring, then moving inside and showing a 'raiding' tactic (i.e. throw a quick bunch of punches and get back out whilst Floyd is still shoulder rolling), then there's a chance of nicking a decision. Because here's the thing:

Floyd likes to TAKE HIS TIME on the inside. He'll ALWAYS let a guy throw a few shots first. He'll duck and dive, smile, body pop for a few punches...and THEN slam in his little counter shots which score him all his points. So fighters who just stay on the inside do so for too long and end up eating leather.

So the key is:

JAB on the outside (like DLH did, for, ooh, about four rounds in the middle of their fight)
FLURRY on the inside (whether you hit or not, just do it and GET OUT fast, back to long range and pump that jab again)

Whether Shane can do this is another question entirely.

Black

That why my approach what to gradually work the pressure in and see if I could get Floyd out his comfort zone by being the aggressor. Maybe, lure him into a mistake and get flash kd or better yet really hurt him. I do think that in a twelve round fight NOBODY out boxes Floyd which is why I would want it to be a war by the end of it.
The CEO
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 27 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Sure,

Actually, we don't need to bump the Zale-Graziano question, because what I posted in this thread WAS the same question! hahaha! But if anyone wants to contribute to my question about Zale-Graziano's fight series, it's in this thread.

A GREAT Mayweather Question by Fighthype's very own, CEO! This is why it's so great to have a CEO on the forums!

Jack

I'm a bit high...but is this your way of callin' me an asshole?

laugh.gif

Just playin'.....I got some weed though...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 28 2010, 10:03 AM) *
I'm a bit high...but is this your way of callin' me an asshole?

laugh.gif

Just playin'.....I got some weed though...

laugh.gif

Jack
JD
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 27 2010, 01:11 PM) *
( I posted this in question#2, but it got pushed back, so I hope more can see it now!)

Here's a good question about the Zale-Graaziano fight series:

It has been well documented by several boxing sources that of the three Zale-Graziano fights, only their third meeting was ever filmed. Do you guys think that the sources could be wrong about the other two fights, where it is possible that someone, somewhere had or has a kinescope of these two matches complete? It is well known that from the early days of TV from about the 50's-70's hundreds to thousands of shows were NOT preserved on videotape. At that time, nobody realized any marquee value of saving most TV programs. (The first two Superbowls, the first ten years of Carson's Tonight Show, and most World Series Games before 1975 are best examples of programs known to no longer exist, at least not in their entirety, or be "lost.")

Do you believe that the first two Zale-Graziano fights were never filmed? Or that they could have been filmed and the footage simply no longer exists?

Jack

Never filmed.

No...filmed and the footage no longer exists. Definitely.

Man, that made for some interesting discussion.

BGv2.0
I'd tell my fighter to throw EVRYTHING...including the kitchen sink at Floyd! Always come forward....make it rough...headbutts inside, elbows....hit him in the legs arms....chest...anywere. Even serve him up with one or two spaced out Golota specials!

Do everything you can......but not enough to get you DQ'd.

I don't even know if that would get the win....but it would be fun to watch him hurt....hell it would be worth the DQ.

Every fan in the arena would thank you for it....even if you lost!

BUT....if you did it right....there is no doubt that keeps the score close, constant forward pressure will usually always keep a score close.

Of course ALL of this has to come from a guy with the right weight...not a blown up smaller man...also not a past his prime or unskilled fighter.
Al Hata

I'd tell my fighter,

We got to pressure Floyd, cut the ring off, work the jab and try to get him on the ropes. Don't throw unnecessary punches in the middle of the ring. When he's backed up, let your hands go for some combos. I want straight punches. I don't care what you hit just hit something, and then get out before Floyd counters you to death. Take your time also, I don't want you to get worn out trying to corner this guy. We need to score points. Let's wow the judges by out throwing and out landing Floyd without us losing gas in the end and Floyd running away with the last 4 rounds or so.
HaydelHammer
I would have my fighter be prepared to go 15 rounds from the jump. We'd work on a minimum of 100 thrown punches per round. I'd have my fighter early on volume punch basically. Minimum three punch combinations for minimum 5-6 rounds and lateral movement after each combination. The objective early would be to stock pile rounds in the bank by simply out working floyd. He'll get his pot shot counters in, but we need to get 5 in to this one.

After about six rounds we want to conserve a little. maybe 60 punches per round for the next three rounds, get on the bike a little and prepare for rounds 10-12 knowing we may lose 7,8 and possibly 9 BUT our volume output could sway judges especially if floyd is murdering my fighter by then.

The home stretch 10-12 the game plan is simple....100 punches per round minimum for 9 minutes. As soon as floyd tries to get in some shots because he's behind...turn it into a brawl, let floyd know the shots don't hurt at all and we ready to brawl to the finish (which I know he wouldn't do) Hopefully we bank 2 of the 3 rounds.

We win 116 - 112 or 115 - 114 and shock the world.
Keith
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 12:24 PM) *

thumbsup_anim.gif

To defeat Floyd Mayweather......I would put Shane Mosley in the ring with him.
The CEO
Plenty of good answers to choose from....thanks, guys.
King Eugene
How do you beat Floyd?

Ask his Daddy.
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Apr 29 2010, 09:49 AM) *
How do you beat Floyd?

Ask his Daddy.

Was Floyd beaten by his dad as a kid? If he was and that was your comment, that would have been a pretty good post from you.
D-MARV
Challenge him to a debate.
Spyder
I thought for sure that Jonny'sTrainer would have something to say about this question...
JonnysTrainer
Someone called?
AussieLad
Punch him really hard in the nuts. Then, after you have regained consciosness after being guillotine choked by his uncle when his entire entourage storm into the ring, vomit from the sight of Ellerbe kissing floyds boo boo all better and say you cannot continue. Floyd gets disqualified, then walk outside and piss on his limo and shove a giant turd up his exhaust pipe
Spyder
QUOTE (JonnysTrainer @ Apr 28 2010, 09:08 PM) *
Someone called?

Well?

What would your plan be to defeat Floyd?
STEVENSKI
There are several key things needed to beat Floyd.

Before the fight make a lot of noise in public about his dirty tactics like using his forearms & elbows & make it very very public. Base a entire press conference about his foul spoiling tactics & how you expect the referee & sanctioning body to address that issue both before & during the fight.

First you need to go out & the very first shot you throw is a haymaker to the balls. That will slow him up a fraction even after he takes his full five minutes recovery as he will still be tender. Use a long piston like jab & double & triple it up mixing it up from head to body & body to head.

Do not let Floyd lead. This is a mistake made by many fighters where they inadvertantly let him lead the fight. Attacking him is letting him lead. Use distance & lateral movement in combination with your jab to establish your positional play within the fight. make him come into your kill zone do not go into his unless you are mixing up that jab.

Once established over 2- 3 rounds give him another haymaker to the balls. You will lose a point here but that is neither here nor there as you will further limit his movement allowing you to be more effective. Now is the time to start throwing off the jab. Do not get lazy with the jab it must be focused & thrown with intent but let go the occasional hook. Not too many mind you you don't want him to anticipate the hook this is purely build up work for when the real fight starts.

By the time the middle rounds are being fought you need to be using a lot of feints especially the jab as he will be expecting that & when he defends it with his shoulder roll toss out a check hook or a lead straight right. Don't forget your movement you need to be constantly turning & presenting a side on target for Floyd.

Forget taunting him as the crowd will be chanting you name & that is better than any taunt. Activity is the key & during lulls in the battle you need to maintain that you are steering the action with the fans & judges. Do not follow Floyd under any circumstances & continue the jab.

When he clinches you & he will wrestle him & lean on him. Hit him on the break & complain loudly every time he clinches you to the referee.

Do all the above & you stand a good chance of beating Floyd provided you have the tools available to beat him & beat him clearly.
Snoop
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 29 2010, 12:09 AM) *
Challenge him to a debate.

laugh.gif

Best answer yet. Well, until JonnysTrainer gives his take on it of course.
LoneRyu
Hard work, Dedication! Hard work, Dedication! Hard Work, Dedication!
The CEO
I turned it in last night, guys...wanted to put some entrants up who haven't appeared before...gave shouts out to our more tenured Members...

Y'all are like 15 hours ahead, right STEVENS?

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 29 2010, 03:56 PM) *
I turned it in last night, guys...wanted to put some entrants up who haven't appeared before...gave shouts out to our more tenured Members...

Y'all are like 15 hours ahead, right STEVENS?

Mate I have just been flat out busy but we are ahead. The PPV card starts out here at 11.00am Sunday so we are something like that.
The CEO
Alright then...

Latest Edition went up yesterday... http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content7504.html

HaydelHammer
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 1 2010, 08:18 AM) *
Alright then...

Latest Edition went up yesterday... http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content7504.html

Thanks for showing some luv CEO. Much luv to fighthype. WE THE SH*T!!!. EVERYBODY WANT TO BE DOWN BUT THEY CAN"T!!

on that other note..lol..nah man..don't be like manny taking that "stuff" it's all good. Like I always said, unless you going pro for the big $$$....the "stuff" aint worth it. lol

Later
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.