Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with headgear for sparring
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pesticid
Ok so my gloves are on their way and according to Canada Post they should be here sometime tomorrow, but I am also in need of a headgear. I really like the everlast headgear here is the link:http://www.everlast.com/products.asp?dept=1293

Does anybody here have any experience with the everlast headgear? I really like the amateur competition headgear with cheeks - http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVUCH
I like the specifications and especially the fact that on the side of the headgear, when you click on additional images it says:

Official According to
10 U.S.A Boxing OZ
Specifications

This writing could be for a show but I'll think positively because I think everlast is a known and reputable brand, I also thought about the cheeks and chin headgear but it doesn't have laces underneath and I am not sure how secure it would be. If you have worn everlast headgear please let me know, which model and how it feels. Thanks in advance!

The CEO
Hey, pesticid...just a heads up....topics like this normally go in our Training section.....we definitely could use some more action in there....

Welcome to The Forum...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 08:58 PM) *
Ok so my gloves are on their way and according to Canada Post they should be here sometime tomorrow, but I am also in need of a headgear. I really like the everlast headgear here is the link:http://www.everlast.com/products.asp?dept=1293

Does anybody here have any experience with the everlast headgear? I really like the amateur competition headgear with cheeks - http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVUCH
I like the specifications and especially the fact that on the side of the headgear, when you click on additional images it says:

Official According to
10 U.S.A Boxing OZ
Specifications

This writing could be for a show but I'll think positively because I think everlast is a known and reputable brand, I also thought about the cheeks and chin headgear but it doesn't have laces underneath and I am not sure how secure it would be. If you have worn everlast headgear please let me know, which model and how it feels. Thanks in advance!

It depends on what you want. I teach Muay Thai and Boxing and like for my guys to make sure the head gear is leather and full face meaning it protects the chin as well. We throw knees and or uppercuts and the full face protects from both. Personally for boxing only, Grant is top notch.
Spyder
I got this...http://www.ringside.com/FightGear-Competit...productinfo/SG/...it works well for me and is approved by USA Boxing.

This headgear by Title is cheaper and approved by USA Boxing as well...http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic...ear-cheeks.html

The main thing you want to see with competition headgear is that it has that USA Boxing seal of approval. You really can't go wrong with anything that has that.

pesticid
QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 27 2010, 10:01 PM) *
Hey, pesticid...just a heads up....topics like this normally go in our Training section.....we definitely could use some more action in there....

Welcome to The Forum...

Sorry about that, I'll know for the future. If you wish you could move it to the training section
pesticid
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 27 2010, 10:03 PM) *
It depends on what you want. I teach Muay Thai and Boxing and like for my guys to make sure the head gear is leather and full face meaning it protects the chin as well. We throw knees and or uppercuts and the full face protects from both. Personally for boxing only, Grant is top notch.

Just boxing, I want to buy two pairs of gloves and two headgears so I can spar with friends whenever, wherever.
pesticid
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 27 2010, 10:21 PM) *
I got this...http://www.ringside.com/FightGear-Competit...productinfo/SG/...it works well for me and is approved by USA Boxing.

This headgear by Title is cheaper and approved by USA Boxing as well...http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic...ear-cheeks.html

The main thing you want to see with competition headgear is that it has that USA Boxing seal of approval. You really can't go wrong with anything that has that.

I like the ringside gear. What is your headgear size or maybe it's irrelevant I think you're kind of a big guy, I am looking for medium size. I don't like the title headgear even though it's much cheaper.
pesticid
I was also thinking about this headgear http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/boxing-equip.../p17531538.html
because it gives you the specs in terms of how big is medium, so I measured the circumference of my head and ended up with 56 cm, so that would be medium according to the rivalboxing specs, but I like the ring and everlast gear better.
Spyder
I'm a middleweight...well, welterweight when I'm in shape...lol...but anyway, headgear has laces and is pretty much a one size fits all.

My Fight Gear headgear is about 8 years old and in "LIKE NEW" condition...I don't get hit a lot, for what that's worth...lol...but I am Italian, so when I DO get hit...it counts!

laugh.gif
pesticid
Hey boxinhand,

Does your full face protection gear have any laces underneath? It's impossible to see from the pics and I've never seen those in the gym.
JonnyBlaze
Everlast,Grant,and FightGear are the 3 best headgears you can buy in my opinion..Reyes probably too but haven't had experience with them..Grant can be alittle harder to see out of than the Everlast competition headgear with cheeks..You get used to it and get better vision but at first it's difficult..

Ringside isn't a good quality brand..
pesticid
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Everlast,Grant,and FightGear are the 3 best headgears you can buy in my opinion..Reyes probably too but haven't had experience with them..Grant can be alittle harder to see out of than the Everlast competition headgear with cheeks..You get used to it and get better vision but at first it's difficult..

Thanks, I think I might go with everlast with cheeks I just hope that medium is the right fit for me. I only felt like buying rival boxing because it explains what the specifications for all the sizes are. That and me not incurring a shipping cost here in Canada.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Thanks, I think I might go with everlast with cheeks I just hope that medium is the right fit for me. I only felt like buying rival boxing because it explains what the specifications for all the sizes are. That and me not incurring a shipping cost here in Canada.

Well what weight are you??How tall??I think they have a chart on how to measure your head to make a good guess at what size to get..
pesticid
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Well what weight are you??How tall??I think they have a chart on how to measure your head to make a good guess at what size to get..

Well, I am 5 6 and weigh b/w 135 and 140. For the everlast headgear I don't think they have a chart and that's my only concern that I might get medium and it might be big for me, but I doubt it. The circumference of my head is 56 cm or 22 inches.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Hey boxinhand,

Does your full face protection gear have any laces underneath? It's impossible to see from the pics and I've never seen those in the gym.

Here it is. No straps and comfortable with good vision.

http://www.ringside.com/FightGear-Full-Fac...oductinfo/HGBC/
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2010, 10:44 PM) *

Why you say that? You just talking about there headgear? I have been using there stuff for a very long time and never had any issues or complaints about any of there stuff, and I have purchased a lot of stuff from them.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 27 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Here it is. No straps and comfortable with good vision.

http://www.ringside.com/FightGear-Full-Fac...oductinfo/HGBC/

Good vision. laugh.gif

Damn I could never use those things. I always wore open face stuff. I will never forget my first real sparring fight at another gym, I had this new headgear similar to that one, man I could not see shit as I was getting lit up. I remember going back to the corner after the first round and cursing my trainer out. laugh.gif That was the last time I ever wore that again. Maybe you do get used to it, but I did not give it another shot. I just could not see the punches coming.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 28 2010, 01:27 AM) *
Good vision. laugh.gif

Damn I could never use those things. I always wore open face stuff. I will never forget my first real sparring fight at another gym, I had this new headgear similar to that one, man I could not see shit as I was getting lit up. I remember going back to the corner after the first round and cursing my trainer out. laugh.gif That was the last time I ever wore that again. Maybe you do get used to it, but I did not give it another shot. I just could not see the punches coming.

Use the force Luke. Top fighters use this gear so that speaks to it's quality. I see everything in these.
mbills
Again, Winning (FG-5000) takes the cake, but it's also 370 bones. Honestly though, its YOUR HEAD and worth it if you ask me. The Grant Professional Training headgear is 150, but the Campeon/Mexican style is 100. Grant is your best option (for ALL Boxing Equipment)in terms of quality, protection, look and overall bang for your buck.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 28 2010, 01:22 AM) *
Why you say that? You just talking about there headgear? I have been using there stuff for a very long time and never had any issues or complaints about any of there stuff, and I have purchased a lot of stuff from them.

Yeah,I don't like the headgear..Not a fan of their gloves either..It's been hard to find good gloves but my grants are real nice..I really hate how the gloves limit you from opening your hand all the way(for parrying and blocking)..The fingers stretch too far down the glove and it doesn't allow you to use the whole glove..I bought my grant headgear for 75 bucks I think..It was on sale(50% off) so I got lucky..

Fres Oquendo hooked my guy up with some really bad ass old school everlast gloves that he wears..He sold em for 20 bucks and cost about 100+..The fingers don't go far down and it was very easy to open the glove up all the way..Being able to open the glove up all the way with ease is a big issue for me..The grants are probably the best glove I've found as far as being able to do that..Yet,I wish they were alittle bit better(easier to open up)..
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 09:58 PM) *

Official According to
10 U.S.A Boxing OZ
Specifications

yes, I use the everlast traditional leather style head gear. I use it for sparring in both boxing and kick boxing.

It's adjustable in the back with velcro (so it's not too snug you can adjust it), also has a nice padding in the back also in case you take a shot to the back of the head.

You can also loosen a strap on that same velcro part in the back to loosen top portion of the headgear so you can adjust it so it doesn't snag your ears in sparring. I had one pair of head gear that did that. I could not adjust it and the head gear would snag the top of my ears at time in sparring so after getting punched in kicked there a few times when I was done my ears were beet red.

I went online that day and ordered the everlast traditional headgear that same day and shit canned my old headgear.....some garbage ass brand I got from my gym..cheap bastards. Any way...I have zero complaints. It covers the cheek area just fine....unless you bruise easily, it's pretty hard to even get a black eye wearing it also..I've been in some heavy wars and took some hard shots with it and the worst i've had is dried blood in my nose later that I didn't even notice until I shower or wipe my nose (knock on wood)

It also has a nice chin strap you can undo in between rounds to breath LOL

Spyder
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Apr 29 2010, 12:44 AM) *
yes, I use the everlast traditional leather style head gear. I use it for sparring in both boxing and kick boxing.

It's adjustable in the back with velcro (so it's not too snug you can adjust it), also has a nice padding in the back also in case you take a shot to the back of the head.

You can also loosen a strap on that same velcro part in the back to loosen top portion of the headgear so you can adjust it so it doesn't snag your ears in sparring. I had one pair of head gear that did that. I could not adjust it and the head gear would snag the top of my ears at time in sparring so after getting punched in kicked there a few times when I was done my ears were beet red.

I went online that day and ordered the everlast traditional headgear that same day and shit canned my old headgear.....some garbage ass brand I got from my gym..cheap bastards. Any way...I have zero complaints. It covers the cheek area just fine....unless you bruise easily, it's pretty hard to even get a black eye wearing it also..I've been in some heavy wars and took some hard shots with it and the worst i've had is dried blood in my nose later that I didn't even notice until I shower or wipe my nose (knock on wood)

It also has a nice chin strap you can undo in between rounds to breath LOL

You gotta stop sparring with girls man...lol
Fitz
These are the ones I use, though the black one is my one and the red is my brothers. I used the red one a few times though. We got them maybe about 8 years ago when we were young, and never got new ones, haha.

I always use them when I spar with my brother, though at the boxing gym we were at. Nobody ever used headgear, lol. Most were alright and sparred accordingly, pulled back on things and so on. Though there was one cock head that would act like it was a real fight and he used to load up on shots when you didn't even have head gear. I hated sparring with him, he didn't have a good attitude towards boxing. Just one of those hot heads. We only ever used mouth guards, though I always used to spit mine out because I fucking hated them and I can't breathe when I wear one. One of the trainers always used to shake his head and tell me I am going to get my teeth knocked out one day. I always tried wearing it for a round or so, and usually ended up spitting it out. I haven't been to the boxing gym in about a year now, though I still do my weights at the other gym and hit the bag at the weights gym or in the garage. I just had a little hit of the bag about 30 minutes ago.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 29 2010, 12:52 AM) *
You gotta stop sparring with girls man...lol

LOL...I'm too slick for em spyder ...they can't touch me dog.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.