Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosley vs Mayweather tickets still on sale
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
STEVENSKI
How pathetic that the biggest draw in boxing still has plenty of tickets available on Ticketmaster. I don't expect Shane to sell many tickets but the biggest draw in all sport should have had this scrap sold out in minutes.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 29 2010, 07:27 AM) *
How pathetic that the biggest draw in boxing still has plenty of tickets available on Ticketmaster. I don't expect Shane to sell many tickets but the biggest draw in all sport should have had this scrap sold out in minutes.

laugh.gif

This is close to trolling for you man. You make a whole new Mayweather thread when there are already tons of them to comment on the ticket sale.

laugh.gif
Now thats funny.
STEVENSKI
It needed publicity since Mayweather can't sell out a arena on his massive star power name.
D-MARV
LMAO at this thread.
salvador
Have you checked out the ticket prices?
thehype
Of course, when tickets are priced so high, fewer people are going to want to pay for them when they can spend $60 and just watch it on TV.

I don't think LIVE attendance is the sole indication of one's drawing power...and quite frankly, I don't think HBO is too concerned about that either. PPV buys is the only thing that matters nowadays. Case in point, the Klitschko brothers can keep fighting in Europe, filling up arenas with 60,000 people each time...but I guarantee you won't be seeing either one of them on PPV any time soon. LOL.

So sell out or no sell out, there aren't too many fighters who can fight on PPV and do more than 400,000 buys...hell, there's not too many fighters who can fight on PPV, PERIOD! Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao certainly can though.

So unless you can name me a bunch of guys who can draw more eyes than them...well...then yeah...Floyd Mayweather is easily the biggest draw in boxing. I mean, if you want to argue that Pacquiao is bigger...okay...fine...that's debateable (although numbers don't lie), but I don't know if I would act like Floyd Mayweather is not one of the biggest draws in the sport. Whether people love him or hate him, for some reason, they're tuning in...whether they buy a ticket to the fight or not.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 29 2010, 09:45 AM) *
Of course, when tickets are priced so high, fewer people are going to want to pay for them when they can spend $60 and just watch it on TV.

I don't think LIVE attendance is the sole indication of one's drawing power...and quite frankly, I don't think HBO is too concerned about that either. PPV buys is the only thing that matters nowadays. Case in point, the Klitschko brothers can keep fighting in Europe, filling up arenas with 60,000 people each time...but I guarantee you won't be seeing either one of them on PPV any time soon. LOL.

So sell out or no sell out, there aren't too many fighters who can fight on PPV and do more than 400,000 buys...hell, there's not too many fighters who can fight on PPV, PERIOD! Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao certainly can though.

So unless you can name me a bunch of guys who can draw more eyes than them...well...then yeah...Floyd Mayweather is easily the biggest draw in boxing. I mean, if you want to argue that Pacquiao is bigger...okay...fine...that's debateable (although numbers don't lie), but I don't know if I would act like Floyd Mayweather is not one of the biggest draws in the sport. Whether people love him or hate him, for some reason, they're tuning in...whether they buy a ticket to the fight or not.

/thread
lloyd mayflower
Floyd rants on about his drawing power, how HE does the biggest gates, its been said before, he needs a dance partner. Hatton and DLH contributed way more than Floyd did to make those 2 massive. The way Floyd talks about his drawing power leaves him open to this sort of criticism.
tymoney
*Kanye shrug* This thread is pointless!
D-MARV
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 29 2010, 10:36 AM) *
Floyd rants on about his drawing power, how HE does the biggest gates, its been said before, he needs a dance partner. Hatton and DLH contributed way more than Floyd did to make those 2 massive. The way Floyd talks about his drawing power leaves him open to this sort of criticism.

I will bump this post when this fight soars in PPV sales.
lloyd mayflower
And I will call Shane a dance partner!!!
thehype
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 29 2010, 10:36 AM) *

That's fine to criticize, but the fact remains, Floyd Mayweather IS the biggest ACTIVE draw in boxing...both he and Manny.

Which one is bigger is a totally different debate, but again, numbers don't lie. I mean, just about EVERY fighter needs a dance partner. Oscar De La Hoya didn't do 800,000 PPV buys when he fought Yori Boy Campas. You always need a decent dance partner. In fact, I think De La Hoya might be the only fighter who actually could fight a bum and still do 400-500,000 PPV buys.

But the point is, you can't name any fighter that is a bigger ACTIVE draw than Floyd or Manny. And as far Hatton and DLH contributing way more than Floyd...well...the same holds true for their fights with Manny Pacquiao (which, by the way, did even less numbers than their fights with Floyd).

So like I said, people can be mad at him all they want when he brags about being the cash cow in boxing, but the fact remains, it's true.
lloyd mayflower
He may well be the cash cow, but he's nowhere near as big as what he says he is, which is what annoys me about the man in the first place, cos if he was, no matter what the price, there wouldnt be a ticket to be had for saturday night, a la Mayweather Hatton, and I know all about that cos I tried like a bear to get one, along with the other 30,000 who made the trip halfway across the world hoping to get one. THAT is a draw
jlupi
And as far Hatton and DLH contributing way more than Floyd...well...the same holds true for their fights with Manny Pacquiao (which, by the way, did even less numbers than their fights with Floyd). >>>>>

true but the economic environment was also different.
TRU
Stubhub was a major sponsor for this fight.
pcraw
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 29 2010, 01:55 PM) *
And I will call Shane a dance partner!!!

Yeah because the only PPV where Shane was the A side he did what, 50k buy's to headline an ESPN PPV against David Estrada. You guys are so funny. It makes no sense to continue this discussion.
TRU
QUOTE (pcraw @ Apr 29 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Yeah because the only PPV where Shane was the A side he did what, 50k buy's to headline an ESPN PPV against David Estrada. You guys are so funny. It makes no sense to continue this discussion.

Cintron-Margarito was the main event there.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (pcraw @ Apr 29 2010, 03:52 PM) *

Agreed....it's amazing that some fans hate or dislike so much that they can't give credit where credit is due.
D-MARV
This thread is pointless.
Fitz
QUOTE (pcraw @ Apr 30 2010, 06:52 AM) *

Mayweather wasn't the A side against DLH either, yet he still gets props.

That said, Mayweather is a draw IMO.
thehype
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 29 2010, 03:07 PM) *
He may well be the cash cow, but he's nowhere near as big as what he says he is, which is what annoys me about the man in the first place, cos if he was, no matter what the price, there wouldnt be a ticket to be had for saturday night, a la Mayweather Hatton, and I know all about that cos I tried like a bear to get one, along with the other 30,000 who made the trip halfway across the world hoping to get one. THAT is a draw

Of course not...and he's nowhere near being greater than Sugar Ray Robinson either, but damn, I don't take what he says as fact. LOL. I don't even know why you'd let something like that annoy you...I mean, have you never heard anyone brag before? LOL.

But again, regardless of whether or not tickets are available, the fact remains that millions of people are going to tune in to watch...compared to the thousands of people that tuned in to watch Hopkins vs. Jones II...therefore, that would make him a DRAW!

As for Hatton, you're comparing apples to oranges. That's not to say Hatton isn't a draw, because he is, but you're talking about a totally different fight. Hatton was undefeated...Floyd was undefeated...that in and of itself made it a bigger fight than Mayweather vs. 5-loss Mosley. And like a couple of other people have pointed out, as exciting as Shane Mosley is to watch, he's NEVER been a draw...he's never even been on the A-side of an event. Hell, even on the ESPN PPV, Shane was on the UNDERCARD. I mean, let's not make it sound like the world can't wait to see Shane Mosley fight...because the reality is he's not a major draw...not even after beating Oscar De La Hoya TWICE.
thehype
QUOTE (jlupi @ Apr 29 2010, 03:47 PM) *
And as far Hatton and DLH contributing way more than Floyd...well...the same holds true for their fights with Manny Pacquiao (which, by the way, did even less numbers than their fights with Floyd). >>>>>

true but the economic environment was also different.

Oh riiiiiight...it was the poor economy that made those numbers smaller...never mind the fact that both DLH and Hatton may have lost a little luster and a few fans after getting whooped by Mayweather before fighting Pacquiao....if it wasn't for that damn economy, their numbers with Pacquiao would have SMASHED the number they did with Floyd, right?

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 29 2010, 07:03 PM) *
Mayweather wasn't the A side against DLH either, yet he still gets props.

That said, Mayweather is a draw IMO.

As well he should get props, no?

I mean, after all, it was his undefeated record, and the fact that he was jumping up to 154, that made the fight so intriguing to begin with, is it not?

I mean, Oscar didn't break the 2 million mark with Hopkins, Vargas, Trinidad or Mosley, did he?

Don't get me wrong...of course Floyd doesn't get all the credit, but he certainly deserves his fair share of the props IMO.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 29 2010, 09:03 PM) *
This thread is pointless.

It is entirely vlaid. Mayweather has not sold out the event so far. That is a fact & one that is there for all to see. Why is it when someone like Ricky Hatton fights a scrub he gets a sell out event yet in the biggest fight of the year they still have tickets available?
Snoop
This thread brought about the fact that you can still be a draw without selling out arenas and vice versa. Not entirely pointless IMO.
Hops
Floyd's haters should just accept the fact that he is a draw. All Floyd has to do is fight someone who has a 20% of beating him. And that fight would sell.

Some people will say Pacquiao has no dance partner when he faced Clottey. But there was a dance partner - THE STADIUM.

And who gives a sh**t whether the arena is filled or not when Floyd-Mosley will hit it big in the PPV sales.
D-MARV
I can tell you this much...

Here in Washington D.C, this is the biggest fight buzz since De La Hoya-Mayweather, I would not be shocked if this broke 2 million buys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.