Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amir Khan training at my gym!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mexi-cutioner
Hey, so I walked into the gym on tuesday expecting nothing other than a quick workout and I see none other than Amir Khan working out at my gym! He's been in Vancouver for nearly the past week and he's stuck here due to Visa issues and Freddie Roach and Ariza arrived yesterday.

Amir is one of my fav fighters right now and despite what people say about him he's an extremely approachable and friendly dude. He makes small talk with every1 and is very personable and easy going. I had a 20-30 minute conversation with him at the end of his workout and we talked about everything from boxing, to his time here in Vancouver and his upcoming fight with Malignaggi and what plans Roach has in store for him in the near future. He even complimented me on my boxing skills which meant alot lol.

I'm excited to meet Roach and Ariza tomorrow, so stoked!!!

That being said, Khan KO5 Malignaggi
Lil-lightsout
That's cool, didn't know you owned and ran a gym. Kidding. Enjoy the experience! Tell him if you guys ever spar you are going to pull a Prescott on him. See how he takes it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 29 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Hey, so I walked into the gym on tuesday expecting nothing other than a quick workout and I see none other than Amir Khan working out at my gym! He's been in Vancouver for nearly the past week and he's stuck here due to Visa issues and Freddie Roach and Ariza arrived yesterday.

Amir is one of my fav fighters right now and despite what people say about him he's an extremely approachable and friendly dude. He makes small talk with every1 and is very personable and easy going. I had a 20-30 minute conversation with him at the end of his workout and we talked about everything from boxing, to his time here in Vancouver and his upcoming fight with Malignaggi and what plans Roach has in store for him in the near future. He even complimented me on my boxing skills which meant alot lol.

I'm excited to meet Roach and Ariza tomorrow, so stoked!!!

That being said, Khan KO5 Malignaggi

That's bad ass man..I bet it'll be really sweet to see Roach in person training Khan..Have fun tomorrow..

Your prediction is all wrong though..Malignaggi doesn't get KO'd..Did ya miss what Cotto or Hatton did to him??
Jack 1000
Cool!!!!

Give him a big shout out from all of us at Fighthype.com! Good luck to him against Malinaggi.

Jack
LoneRyu
ricky hatton used my bathroom once...
thehype
Sweet. Tell him you work for FightHype and would love to do a quick interview. Then when you're done, get his contact info and you can talk to him more often.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 30 2010, 03:09 AM) *
Cool!!!!

Give him a big shout out from all of us at Fighthype.com! Good luck to him against Malinaggi.

Jack

Speak for yourself Jack. I hope he gets knocked out & concussed. The only shout I would give is buying a pint for whoever drops him for 10.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 29 2010, 08:04 PM) *
That's bad ass man..I bet it'll be really sweet to see Roach in person training Khan..Have fun tomorrow..

Your prediction is all wrong though..Malignaggi doesn't get KO'd..Did ya miss what Cotto or Hatton did to him??

Unfortunately the gym is closed off when Ariza and Roach will be training Khan, but I will get to meet them either before or after Khan's workout. Definitely excited, Khan displayed alot of bitterness toward Malignaggi when i brought him up haha and said he would be be the first to retire him...He also told me that Mayweather vs Pacquiao will NEVER happen and talked about boxing politics saying that there's alot the fans don't know. He was very passionate when talking about this darker business side and the corruption and politics in the sport which make it hard for alot of fights to be made. He said that Golden Boy will try to line him up with the winner of Bradley/Maidana in December and seemed confident when talking about his chances of beating Maidana (his reasongs being that he beat Kotelnik, Maidana's only conqueror fairly easily and that in the amateurs he disposed of Victor Ortiz as well) and he showed alot more respect for Bradley. He said he would like to fight Mayweather in 2 years time and implied he needed much more time before taking on the likes of Mayweather.

The thing that really stood out was when he was about to work on the double end bag. me and the trainer were moving things out of the way to give him more space and he told us not to worry about it, said he was just like every other person in the gym and didn't want any special treatment and that he would work around them. Very classy

He was a VERY personable and approachable guy and after meeting him i see him in a much different perspective than i did before. I'll be sure to talk to him and Roach tomorrow if i have the opportunity
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Apr 30 2010, 01:04 AM) *
I just read how Amir Khan was forced out of the US & is in Canada at the moment.
That's a pretty cool story man, the fact that you were already a fan makes it even better. To get complimented on your boxing skills by a pro in Khan would have made your week I bet!

Have not seen a great deal of Khan but but despite him already having an upset loss he looks pretty good so far. Good luck with your training!

Definitely man, he said he was watching me hit the bag and was impressed by my punching power and left hook lol I tried to play it off as like "oh, haha whatever.." but inside i was going nuts hahaha
BigG
Thats awesome dude...you shoulda asked him to spar with you a round or two. tongue.gif
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 30 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Thats awesome dude...you shoulda asked him to spar with you a round or two. tongue.gif

It would've been the equivalent of Khan vs Prescott....except I'd be Khan haha
D-MARV
I'm happy for you.... I don't care too much for Roach and Ariza though, fucking cheats.
salvador
Very cool!

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 30 2010, 01:15 AM) *
Unfortunately the gym is closed off when Ariza and Roach will be training Khan, but I will get to meet them either before or after Khan's workout. Definitely excited, Khan displayed alot of bitterness toward Malignaggi when i brought him up haha and said he would be be the first to retire him...He also told me that Mayweather vs Pacquiao will NEVER happen and talked about boxing politics saying that there's alot the fans don't know. He was very passionate when talking about this darker business side and the corruption and politics in the sport which make it hard for alot of fights to be made. He said that Golden Boy will try to line him up with the winner of Bradley/Maidana in December and seemed confident when talking about his chances of beating Maidana (his reasongs being that he beat Kotelnik, Maidana's only conqueror fairly easily and that in the amateurs he disposed of Victor Ortiz as well) and he showed alot more respect for Bradley. He said he would like to fight Mayweather in 2 years time and implied he needed much more time before taking on the likes of Mayweather.

The thing that really stood out was when he was about to work on the double end bag. me and the trainer were moving things out of the way to give him more space and he told us not to worry about it, said he was just like every other person in the gym and didn't want any special treatment and that he would work around them. Very classy

He was a VERY personable and approachable guy and after meeting him i see him in a much different perspective than i did before. I'll be sure to talk to him and Roach tomorrow if i have the opportunity

Why's the gym being closed off when he's being training then??
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 30 2010, 09:26 AM) *
Why's the gym being closed off when he's being training then??

The first few days he was training by himself, he had some of his entourage with him but ultimately doing his workouts solo. IT was at this time he told us not to give him any special treatment etc etc. but After Freddie Roach and Ariza showed up that was when the gym started being closed off for his training sessions. Guess they didn't want reporters/spectators walking in and out of the gym
JLUVBABY
thats cool stuff mexi... be sure to get an autographed pic for ya boy jluv.... lol...
mexi-cutioner
i'll try and post up some pics and vids of him working out for u guys asap!
Snoop
Khan seems like a pretty laid back dude from what you're saying. I've been a semi-fan since the Olympics. Don't know why so many people hate on him for.
Maxy
Face to face he's apparently a nice enough bloke, as the TS says, but Khan has alienated himself from many British fans with his stupid comments. His reason for going to America was because he felt he was accepted over there. That his colour/race was not an issue.

Truth is, his colour/race isn't an issue over here either. He said recently, "If I was white I would be a superstar in England." That is a ridiculous comment. Some say the racists forced him out of the country but anyone who has ever been to a Khan fight live will tell you that his Pakistani fans have been responsible for some sickening racism against fellow Khan supporters. I'm not suggesting it's all one sided but the picture Khan paints isn't how most see it.
Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 1 2010, 08:35 AM) *
Face to face he's apparently a nice enough bloke, as the TS says, but Khan has alienated himself from many British fans with his stupid comments. His reason for going to America was because he felt he was accepted over there. That his colour/race was not an issue.

Truth is, his colour/race isn't an issue over here either. He said recently, "If I was white I would be a superstar in England." That is a ridiculous comment. Some say the racists forced him out of the country but anyone who has ever been to a Khan fight live will tell you that his Pakistani fans have been responsible for some sickening racism against fellow Khan supporters. I'm not suggesting it's all one sided but the picture Khan paints isn't how most see it.

I'd actually argue that he's pretty damn famous for his age and the stage of his career.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 1 2010, 12:35 AM) *

yeah he is portrayed in a darker light in the media as a cocky, arrogant kid. Even when talking to him he did seem extremely confident when i asked him about his chances vs many fighters, but at the same time he did show alot of respect for others such as mayweather, pacquiao and tim bradley. The media also has a reputation for twisting and altering people's words in order to create a story or make headlines so i approach what is said in the media with alot of caution.

Meeting him in person I have nothing but great things to say about the dude. Came off as very classy and personable, made conversation with everyone, he was giving people tips and helping others out and talking to everyone rather than acting like a total diva as if he owned the place because he was world champ. He spent over an hour after his workout today just signing autographs and taking pictures and meeting fans at the gym and he even light sparred some of r fighters at the end of his workout which was really cool.

My first impression of him definitely overshadows whatever is said about him in the media, and i have no doubt that alot of people in Vancouver who have had the chance to meet him will say the same thing
Maxy
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 1 2010, 03:39 AM) *
I'd actually argue that he's pretty damn famous for his age and the stage of his career.

Well exactly. He was embraced by the public during his Olympic campaign, his last amateur fight was screened prime time on free TV and as far as I'm aware, every single one of his fights has been shown live.

His comment about "if he was white" makes no sense whatsoever. Frank Bruno for instance was absolutely adored over here. He was the ultimate lovable loser. He was white wasn't he? Oh wait a minute....

laugh.gif
Maxy
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 1 2010, 02:46 AM) *
yeah he is portrayed in a darker light in the media as a cocky, arrogant kid. Even when talking to him he did seem extremely confident when i asked him about his chances vs many fighters, but at the same time he did show alot of respect for others such as mayweather, pacquiao and tim bradley. The media also has a reputation for twisting and altering people's words in order to create a story or make headlines so i approach what is said in the media with alot of caution.

Meeting him in person I have nothing but great things to say about the dude. Came off as very classy and personable, made conversation with everyone, he was giving people tips and helping others out and talking to everyone rather than acting like a total diva as if he owned the place because he was world champ. He spent over an hour after his workout today just signing autographs and taking pictures and meeting fans at the gym and he even light sparred some of r fighters at the end of his workout which was really cool.

My first impression of him definitely overshadows whatever is said about him in the media, and i have no doubt that alot of people in Vancouver who have had the chance to meet him will say the same thing

Yeah no doubt he probably is a nice bloke. You've had the privilege of a first hand meeting with him and that's the best way to base an opinion. Personally I've got nothing against him as a person but I disagree strongly with some of his comments.
Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 1 2010, 07:52 AM) *
Well exactly. He was embraced by the public during his Olympic campaign, his last amateur fight was screened prime time on free TV and as far as I'm aware, every single one of his fights has been shown live.

His comment about "if he was white" makes no sense whatsoever. Frank Bruno for instance was absolutely adored over here. He was the ultimate lovable loser. He was white wasn't he? Oh wait a minute....

laugh.gif

Haha. I can't imagine him being any more famous at this stage of his career if he was any other skin color.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 1 2010, 12:58 AM) *
Yeah no doubt he probably is a nice bloke. You've had the privilege of a first hand meeting with him and that's the best way to base an opinion. Personally I've got nothing against him as a person but I disagree strongly with some of his comments.

yeah, i guess he can come off as a bit cocky, but hey, considering he's only 23 and the success and fame he's received thus far in his career u can't blame him. Hell, i'd be cocky too if i was an olympic silver medallist at 17, world champ at 22 and had fans worldwide. At the end of the day, he treated everyone equally and didn't look down on anyone or act as if he was better which made the most lasting impression
Maxy
Khan's been mugged off by this bitch.

Once again the NOTW gets on the case of one of our fighters. Khan should have been a bit smarter though. It was obviously going to hit the gutter press.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 1 2010, 02:46 AM) *

Tarver is the same way but Tarver is one of the coolest cats ya could meet..Ya all get a better idea of who he is when he commentates..
Douchebag
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 29 2010, 11:40 PM) *
Sweet. Tell him you work for FightHype and would love to do a quick interview. Then when you're done, get his contact info and you can talk to him more often.

LMAO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.