Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UPDATED Mayweather vs Pacquiao Poll
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Snoop
After yesterday's performance, I'm interested to see if anyone has changed their thoughts on the possible mega-fight.

Discuss!

EDIT: Demmit, I spelled Pacquiao's name wrong. Could one of the mods fix that?
King Eugene
I still think Mayweather stops him.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 2 2010, 09:44 PM) *
I still think Mayweather stops him.

Yep. My vote went from UD to KO/TKO after watching last night.
Maxy
Yesterdays fight changes absolutely nothing. Pac is THE TEST for Floyd.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 2 2010, 04:45 PM) *

The hell it doesn't ......Team Pacq wanted no part of Mosley I remember a Freddy Roach quote saying "He was too good"....after what we witnessed last night with Floyd looking so strong this fight just went from a Floyd UD to a KO.
Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 2 2010, 09:45 PM) *

I guess it doesn't change the fact that Pacquiao is still the best fight out there for Floyd right now, but for me it definitely changed the way in which he passes that test.
Maxy
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 2 2010, 04:54 PM) *
I guess it doesn't change the fact that Pacquiao is still the best fight out there for Floyd right now, but for me it definitely changed the way in which he passes that test.

Yeah, I know what you're sayin' but for boxings sake, for arguments sake, we all need to see this fight. It's definitely the biggest fight out there. Without it, meaning if it doesn't happen, I'm gonna feel empty somehow.
Snoop
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 2 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Yeah, I know what you're sayin' but for boxings sake, for arguments sake, we all need to see this fight. It's definitely the biggest fight out there. Without it, meaning if it doesn't happen, I'm gonna feel empty somehow.

Yeah all the arguing won't give us a definite answer and I'm pretty sick of that. Just fight for Christs sake.
The CEO
Can't call it, Snoop...they're so evenly matched.

LMAO.
streetlion1
I was leaning toward Mayweather beating Pacquiao by KO/TKO even before last night....but....Mosley didnt really show up for the fight....Pacquiao will and will give Floyd some problems at first before he gets knocked out around rounds 8 or 9.
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 2 2010, 10:16 PM) *
Can't call it, Snoop...they're so evenly matched.

LMAO.

LOL.

I wanna know who voted for the Pacquiao wins, especially the TKO/KO.
Hops
I voted for Pacquiao. He will take it via decision. And I don't know why people are so stubborn enough to think Floyd's going to knock out another Hatton.

Floyd's slower than Pacquiao based on what I've seen. His defense is what gives him the win. But his defense is based on his skill of positioning his body parts on angles from which his opponents cannot launch hard punches. Floyd will revert back to his usual self once he receives a hard punch from an angle which he thinks is safe.

A lot of people here doesn't seem to know the reason why Cotto looked like a lost kid in his fight against Pacquiao. He looked lost because he got floored by two soft punches.
Fitz
Doesn't change my thought on the fight and it still is both their biggest test. None of that changed for me. I was picking Mayweather before the fight and still picking him now.
I thought Mayweather could stop him before last night (though I was picking a decision), and I still think he beats him. The only difference is, I give Mayweather an even bigger chance for the stoppage, though not sure on my official pick whether it's decision or stoppage.
Box in Hand
I think after last night Roach started shaking more than he normally does. That camp wanted no parts of a Mosely who was willing to suck down to crackhead size because they felt he was too good. Well, Mayweather massacred Shane despite being rocked twice. The one thing I didn't like is how aggressive Floyd got after getting tagged. Manny loves it when people do that and that could hurt Floyd if they were to fight. The only way Pac beats Floyd is to get him early. It's the only way. Other than that give me Floyd TKO 8.
Michigan Assassin
I still cannot figure out how people keep picking Floyd to KO anyone. He doesn't even go for the KO in most cases and not everyone is going to walk into those check left hooks that Hatton did.

I'm leaning to Floyd because Manny can be outboxed and Floyd is the most likely to do it at this point.
Fitz
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ May 3 2010, 11:16 AM) *
I still cannot figure out how people keep picking Floyd to KO anyone. He doesn't even go for the KO in most cases and not everyone is going to walk into those check left hooks that Hatton did.

Quite easy. Majority of the times, I don't pick Floyd by KO (though I picked him to KO Marquez, which he should have). You are right that he doesn't usually go for the KO, but the difference is much like Hatton, there is a chance that the KO will come to Floyd if he fights Pacquiao.
Pacquiao doesn't make the same mistakes as Hatton does, but he does come in with force when he lets his hands go.

When you are moving into a fist at a much faster rate than other guys, you don't usually have to look for the KO, it may just come and that is how I can definitely see Mayweather stopping Pacquiao.
D-MARV
Floyd is NOT a KO artist BUT he hits you so precisely and often that he can eventually break you down and stop you. That's WHY people pick him by TKO/KO. Anyone who picked him to stop Mosley last night wasn't too far off. Just re watch Brother Naz in between the 10th and 11th round!
Jack 1000
Although this is the best fight in terms of public boxing interest that can be made right now, and despite my hatred of Floyd because of his arrogance, I pick him to win at anyway from 60%-70%. There are several reasons why:

1.) Manny Pacquaio can be out-boxed: He floored Marquez three times in their first fight and than Marquez came back to outbox Manny for most of the rounds. While I still had Pacquiao a few points ahead because those knockdowns should have been scored a 10-6 round and were so definitive, the difference was how Marquez was able to out-box Manny. The second fight was microscopically close, and I thought Marquez did enough to win the decision. If Marquez can give Pacquiao problems by out-boxing him, what could Floyd do, who shut out Marquez.

2.) Pacquiao's biggest wins in recent past were against over the hill fighters: While they were certainly impressive with the Hatton KO and the butchering of Delahoya it's not like Manny shot down either fighter in the prime of their career. That's not Manny's fault mind you, it's just that opportunity knocked for him at the right time and he took it. A prime top boxer who offers angles and agility will give Manny things to think about. Delahoya was a butchered rag-doll in there and Floyd already stopped Hatton.

3.) Mayweather is so ellusive, and speed neutralizes power: The last fighter to trouble Mayweather was Castillo. Yes, I thought Jose won the first fight, and although I am in the minority, I thought neither did shit in the second fight and carded a dismal draw agreeing with Harold Ledderman's card on all but the 4th round, he had it 115-113 Floyd I had it 114-114 even. The thing is that's the last time that Mayweather looked in a losing situation (fight#1) despite what the judges had, or ordinary (fight#2) Pacquiiao has the speed and the aggression of Castillo, but he doesn't have the strength of Castillo. More importantly, Floyd won't let Manny into a streetfight, or at least, it is unlikely he would do so. He should get an easy win by (as his corner would say) "boxing this muthafucker."

4.) Manny's too small: Floyd will put on weight even if he has to drain weight to come in at or around #147-148. If Floyd bulks up to walking around to #150 or worse, poor Manny is going to look like a midget in there. Even in a war to war firefight, Manny's punches won't have the same effect on Floyd that they would have on smaller fighters. This isn't a shell-shocked Delahoya, a limited already beaten Hatton, or an over-the-hill Mosley. The negotiated and walking in weight will be too much for Manny to overcome. I don't think Manny's punches can have the savage impact. Now if Floyd was about two divisions smaller or Manny was about two division's bigger, I would pick Manny winner on power in a great fight similar to Leonard-Duran I. But the weight conditions and the abilities of each under these weight conditions will cause a weight disparity. Floyd wants a level playing field, I am sure that Manny does too, but at the end of the day, Floyd is still fighting a power-puncher who's about two-sizes too small to be a threat to Floyd and can be out-boxed.

Give Manny a puncher's chance, but it's rare. I'll call it for Mayweather by UD at this stage, 117-111 and 116-112 (twice) on all cards.

Jack

PS. The biggest threat to Mayweather is Paul Williams because of his weight, size, reach, and style that is similar to Mayweather and hard to look good against.
Hittman25
best defense vs best offense plain and simple............

maywheather and manny do the same thing to their opponets they out punch em by a wide margin ..........

only difference is floyd makes people look like they have never boxed before and manny just murders people.....

best fight possible, boxing is at a stand still if this fight does not happen...........

i like manny but floyd right now looks real dangerous but you never know because manny is just as dangerous!!!!! thats why it has to happen
JonnyBlaze
I think Pac-man hits harder than Mosley..Mosley leaned in A LOT when throwing his right hand..Had he gotten better leverage in his right hand when he rocked Mayweather,Mayweather would of fell..Mosley showed Mayweather can be hurt bad..I think Mosley landed the best punch on Mayweather that I've ever seen and Mayweather caught the bo jangles..Pac-man wouldn't be so tenative or as nervous as Mosley was..Mosley was shakin like a leaf in that fight..
Snoop
The Pacquiao backers are starting to come alive. I'm a bit surprised to be honest.
The Original MrFactor
Convinced that Mayweather stops him. Manny will throw lots of shots all over the place, but Mayweather wont let him be first. If there's one thing i took from the Mosley fight is that Mayweather hits on breaks and is always the 1st to initiate contact. That will throw Manny way off of his timing. Manny wont be able to get close without being hit. When he rushes in, Mayweather will retreat and counter. He will stop Manny.
pesticid
Mayweather beats Pacquiao because he's too accurate and Manny's defense is borderline average. Every fight I see him in he's busted up. I mean Cotto busted him up, so did Clottey and they are nowhere near as accurate or precise as Mayweather. Let's say for argument's sake that Pacman punches harder than Mosley based on his wins over Cotto and Hatton. Pacquiao though doesn't have the reach, the height, I don't think he has Mosley's punch resistence and most importantly he doesn't clinch. Speed is irrelevant for Pacquiao just as it was irrelevant for Zab when it comes to Floyd. Also we're yet to see Pacquaio in a psychological warfare and the result of it. So far he's been rather sheltered, I would like to see if he gets abused as Gatti, Hatton and Mosley if he would be able to perform as well under the bright lights.
mrwigi
Manny aint fucking wit Floyd. Whoever is going to beat mayweather is pretty much going to have to bully him.
JD
The Mosley fight tells us ZERO about how his fight with Pacquiao would look.

If you liked Floyd before, you still should. If you liked Pacquiao before, seeing Mosley get dominated shouldn't change that since they are nowhere near similar.

We tend to get a little hyped after a big fight.
The CEO
There is no doubt Pacquiao would bring his best heat, JD...he would be throwing more and generally trying harder than Mosley did...but after he's taken enough punishment for those efforts, Floyd will walk him down and slaughter him in front of The World.

Pacquiao MUST avoid Mayweather at all costs if he wants to preserve his status....
JD
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 3 2010, 08:32 AM) *
There is no doubt Pacquiao would bring his best heat, JD...he would be throwing more and generally trying harder than Mosley did...but after he's taken enough punishment for those efforts, Floyd will walk him down and slaughter him in front of The World.

Pacquiao MUST avoid Mayweather at all costs if he wants to preserve his status....

And that is cool...you like Floyd big there, and have. I don't think the Mosley fight changed anything for you.
The CEO
You're right...it didn't...but I do have to say the way Mayweather handled the shots in Round 2 and turned it around so quickly was very impressive...

That told me he will not waver under the extreme pressure of being in a Super DUPER fight spotlight with Pacquiao...I see him weathering any kind of storm The Pinoy brings and makin' an example out of him now...
JD
Saying it is one thing...doing it is another, and he did so...impressively.

Floyd ate a couple shots, got hurt and fought through it very well.

But I don't think pressure is going to bother Floyd. I think the southpaw stance, and Pacquiao's legs are what make it interesting. That said, if it was seeing how Floyd could handle adversity for you, then ok, I can see taking something from this fight on that level - but that's about it in my opinion.
D-MARV
It will take FLoyd less than 3 rounds to time Manny coming in... It will take another 3 rounds to dispatch of him. Fireworks early, Pacquiao on his back later.

I have thought this for a long time and nothing from Saturday has changed that opinion. The only thing that I got from Saturday is that Floyd is more of a warrior than I thought.
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 3 2010, 01:45 PM) *
You're right...it didn't...but I do have to say the way Mayweather handled the shots in Round 2 and turned it around so quickly was very impressive...

That told me he will not waver under the extreme pressure of being in a Super DUPER fight spotlight with Pacquiao...I see him weathering any kind of storm The Pinoy brings and makin' an example out of him now...

Agreed. Last Sat night didn't tell me anything about how a fight with Pacquiao would play out stylistically, but it did tell me a lot about how Floyd handles adversity and being hurt. It also showed me that he has more of an offensive side than we thought since he was going after Mosley the entire time. I always thought Floyd had Pac's number; the Mosley fight only changed the way he'd win it.
The CEO
laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is cliched, but I love the smell of Pontoon in the morning...
Hittman25
floyd maywheather couldnt stop marquez what makes ne one think he would stop manny....

floyd is a boxer he boxes he doesnt go for knockouts he lets them come like hatton came to him and corrales and gatti

but i think manny is the only one that can hang with floyd and give him a fight.....its just how long will it be til floyd figures him out and could manny adjust

BEST FIGHT POSSIBLE!!!!!
GARCIA
I think PACMAN has a good chance because he's a Very quick SouthPaw.

Floyd had problems with Zab Judah who is a quick southpaw and PacMan is a MUCH Grater Fighter then Zab..

thats how i see it..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (GARCIA @ May 3 2010, 10:02 PM) *

Floyd had problems with Zab Judah who is a quick southpaw and PacMan is a MUCH Grater Fighter then Zab..

thats how i see it..

is pac that much better than zab?... i see zab giving pac some major problems... not saying he ness wins but zab wont go out like clottey... judahs gonna get his and go down getting it if he has too... and tell you what... if zab lands the uppercuts i watched turtle shell clottey land on pac he will bust that boy up... thats not a bad fight... again not calling for it but zab would get his in that one even in a losing effort...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (GARCIA @ May 3 2010, 10:02 PM) *

thats how i see it..

is pac that much better than zab?... i see zab giving pac some major problems... not saying he ness wins but zab wont go out like clottey... judahs gonna get his and go down getting it if he has too... and tell you what... if zab lands the uppercuts i watched turtle shell clottey land on pac he will bust that boy up... thats not a bad fight... again not calling for it but zab would get his in that one even in a losing effort...
JonnyBlaze
Zab stunned up Floyd a bit in their fight..I think Zab is nowhere near Pac-man's level..Pac-man is disciplined,Zab isn't..Mayweather didn't put Zab down,what makes you think someone with a better chin like Pac-man would be taken out in 6 rounds D-Marv??I think you're still high off the fight and that's why you're sayin this..We saw Pac-man split Clotteys guard without much problem,which said a lot since Clottey is hard to hit with that defense..It's all about angles when guys hold their hands like that though..Mayweather was holding his hands like that in the Mosley fight and I see Pac-man gettin at him when he does that..

Mayweather would adjust to the speed like he always does and he'd make adjustments in the fight of course..Pac-man won't get all shakey like Mosley did though,he'd come and do his thing like Zab did..Yet,Zab got tired as hell and Pac-man would have lots of stamina..Mayweather does make you tired quickly if you don't fight him the right way..Yet,I think Pac-man would do what he does,get hit with counters too,but he wouldn't stop throwing punches..
GARCIA
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 3 2010, 10:43 PM) *

I agree that would be an interesting fight, and i'm not saying Zab's a walk in the park,,, But i think PacMan is getting better every fight, He's more well rounded and Plus he gots Freddy Roach on his side.. Whoever fights PacMan next (hopfully Mayweather) There Gonna Have Trouble..
enigma1969
All props to Mayweather.

I think it would be a shame if Pac and Mayweather never fought. I keep going back and forth on who will win. For a long time I have given the edge to Floyd NUT after Saturday night and rewatching the fight several times over I am on the fence.

Reason?

I think Mayweather does not take a clean shot very well. When Floyd gets hit cleanly he gets buzzed really bad. Corley, Judah and Mosley. Its makes me wonder. I never questioned the kid's heart. But I do question that chin. I know Floyd talks about how he can take it on the chin and such. But I question that. The proof is there for all to see.

Unlike Mosley at this stage. I don't see Manny letting Floyd off the hook IF he gets him in trouble.

Manny is a beast and in his prime. Has a quick release, great reflexes and excellent foot work.

I think it would be a excellent match-up. But I am not completely convinced that Mayweather would win the fight as outright as I once thought.

This is why the fight hopefully will happen.

'

TRU
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 4 2010, 02:21 PM) *
All props to Mayweather.

I think it would be a shame if Pac and Mayweather never fought. I keep going back and forth on who will win. For a long time I have given the edge to Floyd NUT after Saturday night and rewatching the fight several times over I am on the fence.

Reason?

I think Mayweather does not take a clean shot very well. When Floyd gets hit cleanly he gets buzzed really bad. Corley, Judah and Mosley. Its makes me wonder. I never questioned the kid's heart. But I do question that chin. I know Floyd talks about how he can take it on the chin and such. But I question that. The proof is there for all to see.

Unlike Mosley at this stage. I don't see Manny letting Floyd off the hook IF he gets him in trouble.

Manny is a beast and in his prime. Has a quick release, great reflexes and excellent foot work.

I think it would be a excellent match-up. But I am not completely convinced that Mayweather would win the fight as outright as I once thought.

This is why the fight hopefully will happen.

'

Shane woulda done better if he fought southpaw?
enigma1969
QUOTE (TRU @ May 4 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Shane woulda done better if he fought southpaw?

Not from what I saw saturday night. Shane would have done better if he had a gun.

He lost to a better man with a much higher Boxing IQ.

He had his chance in the 2nd round.

I thought he would fight differently through out. Box some, switch some, try to mug, brawl, hold, and be a bit dirty. But like Method said in the chat room. Shane can't fight dirty. I thought some of the Philly flavor would rub off on him but I was wrong on everything except for him rocking Mayweather.

He lost to the better fighter period. Mayweather stole his fighting soul. Shane has lost in the past but he never stopped trying. Saturday he looked like he just wanted to survive. He looked old but not because he is but because Mayweather made him look old. And older than 38.

Still ... like I said major props to Mayweather. But I seriously wonder about his chin. He does not react well to clean punches. I don't think he takes a good clean shot. No one has been able to follow up though. And Mayweather should be given credit for that. Still I wonder what would happen if manny caught that chin clean?

I am not going to label him a all-time great at this moment. I like to let history pay itself out on that subject.
TRU
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 4 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Not from what I saw saturday night. Shane would have done better if he had a gun.

He lost to a better man with a much higher Boxing IQ.

He had his chance in the 2nd round.

I thought he would fight differently through out. Box some, switch some, try to mug, brawl, hold, and be a bit dirty. But like Method said in the chat room. Shane can't fight dirty. I thought some of the Philly flavor would rub off on him but I was wrong on everything except for him rocking Mayweather.

He lost to the better fighter period. Mayweather stole his fighting soul. Shane has lost in the past but he never stopped trying. Saturday he looked like he just wanted to survive. He looked old but not because he is but because Mayweather made him look old. And older than 38.

Still ... like I said major props to Mayweather. But I seriously wonder about his chin. He does not react well to clean punches. I don't think he takes a good clean shot. No one has been able to follow up though. And Mayweather should be given credit for that. Still I wonder what would happen if manny caught that chin clean?

I am not going to label him a all-time great at this moment. I like to let history pay itself out on that subject.

I agree... pretty much what me and JD were saying BEFORE the fight.
PR316
This is a real fight.

Leaning slightly towards Pacquiao, but its give or take.

Neither guy has fought anybody quite like the other.

Its a hard fight for both IMO. Whomever wins it will have to earn it.
SmartyBeardo
I am more convinced now that my original prediction will be accurate. There is only one reason that PBF did not KO Mosley on Saturday night; it was not necessary.

He will have no choice against Pacman.

PBF by KO/TKO in 6 or less.
cervix2000
Does Mayweather have a 30% chance of losing or Manny have a 70% chance of not winning? Without testing, does Pacquiao then only have a 65% chance of not winning?
Maybe Margarito could have asked for testing before fighting Mosley. Maybe Pacquiao was right and it does weaken you. LOL!
pesticid
If Pacquiao takes the tests it's a clear win for Mayweather via stoppage. If pacquiao doesn't take the tests we will never know. If you were Floyd would you fight somebody that you suspect of using steroids when you can have somebody that you suspect but is willing to go through the testing for roughly the same amount of money?
Hops
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 7 2010, 05:49 AM) *
If Pacquiao takes the tests it's a clear win for Mayweather via stoppage. If pacquiao doesn't take the tests we will never know. If you were Floyd would you fight somebody that you suspect of using steroids when you can have somebody that you suspect but is willing to go through the testing for roughly the same amount of money?

Sugar Ray Leonard has already answered your question with a smile in his face.
RyanTical
I understand people have a right to be worried when it comes to Mayweather. However, I wouldn't call his chin exactly suspect because he took a very hard shot from Shane Mosley, leaning backwards trying to Shoulder Roll. I think a great Boxer's mettle isn't in how well he can give a punch, but how well he can take one. Mayweather took the shot and fought back. If anything, I wouldn't use that as a reason to think he would lose against Pacquiao but that he can stand toe-to-toe with Pacquiao and give a great showing.

As a Mayweather fan, do I think Pacquiao will blow Mayweather out of the water clear cut domination? Hell no. Mayweather is light years ahead of Pacquiao in terms of Boxing skill, dedication and talent.

However, I won't say what happened in Round 2 on May 1st won't or couldn't happen again. I constantly ask myself this question: was the shot that Mayweather took the same shot that Tarver caught Roy with that would eventually end Roy's illustrious career, meaning will Mayweather be consciously aware that he can be caught in the future and what will he do to prevent that, or is that shot still looming somewhere in a future Mayweather opponent could Pacquiao be that man?

I don't doubt it. Pacquiao is certainly capable of doing what most of us thought Mosley no longer had in him. Mayweather is mortal afterall.
enigma1969
QUOTE (RyanTical @ May 7 2010, 07:28 AM) *
I understand people have a right to be worried when it comes to Mayweather. However, I wouldn't call his chin exactly suspect because he took a very hard shot from Shane Mosley, leaning backwards trying to Shoulder Roll. I think a great Boxer's mettle isn't in how well he can give a punch, but how well he can take one. Mayweather took the shot and fought back. If anything, I wouldn't use that as a reason to think he would lose against Pacquiao but that he can stand toe-to-toe with Pacquiao and give a great showing.

As a Mayweather fan, do I think Pacquiao will blow Mayweather out of the water clear cut domination? Hell no. Mayweather is light years ahead of Pacquiao in terms of Boxing skill, dedication and talent.

However, I won't say what happened in Round 2 on May 1st won't or couldn't happen again. I constantly ask myself this question: was the shot that Mayweather took the same shot that Tarver caught Roy with that would eventually end Roy's illustrious career, meaning will Mayweather be consciously aware that he can be caught in the future and what will he do to prevent that, or is that shot still looming somewhere in a future Mayweather opponent could Pacquiao be that man?

I don't doubt it. Pacquiao is certainly capable of doing what most of us thought Mosley no longer had in him. Mayweather is mortal afterall.

Co-Sign!

I call Mayweather's chin suspect. His conditioning is excellent but man, he doesn't seem to take a clean shot well. I am not saying that he is Terry Norris but Norris was a guy willing to fight more than box. But like you stated Mayweather is mortal.

Good post.
neophyte7
The only thing suspect is pac being clean and drug free... How many times has Pac been rattled from shots in his career? He was stopped correct???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.