Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initial Buzz has Mayweather - Mosley doing between 1.1 and 1.2 mill
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JD
Is this about what people thought? Is it disappointing if accurate? Is it better then people thought?

D-MARV
That would be a little disappointing but I read that it was in the neighborhood of 1.5 million.

Where did you hear this from?
JD
I read that it was tracking at 2 million before the fight...but that was per Schaeffer.

Iole said that he hearing from good sources that it is between 1.1 and 1.2 mill in sales, but nothing is confirmed just yet.
Byrd Man
I figured this would be about what it would be, give or take.

I love how Schaeffer, who never fails to exaggerate, was like "this shit's gonna do 3 million easy"

lol.

If Manny and Floyd DO fight, they'll probably have Schaefer up there predicting 10 million pay per view buys.
Romulus9
QUOTE (JD @ May 3 2010, 08:35 PM) *
Is this about what people thought? Is it disappointing if accurate? Is it better then people thought?

I guess that all depends on who you ask...

Not satisfied with his previous prediction that Mayweather vs. Mosley would merely break the all time pay per view record, he now thinks they could nearly double it.

Speaking to the media today at the final press conference, Schaefer said:

"I am not going to say that we are going to break the all time pay-per-view record. I am not going to say we are going to do 3 million either. 4 million pay-per-view buys are possible,"

Not quite, Richard! Let's ask Ed Keenan next.
JLUVBABY
i honestly felt/feel like the fight was gonna do in the neighborhood of 1.6 to 1.8 million give or take... the final numbers arent out yet sooooo....
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 3 2010, 08:42 PM) *
I read that it was tracking at 2 million before the fight...but that was per Schaeffer.

Iole said that he hearing from good sources that it is between 1.1 and 1.2 mill in sales, but nothing is confirmed just yet.

gotcha.
Snoop
I thought more in the ballpark of 1.5 million but 1.1 is still pretty damn impressive.
Byrd Man
Pac should come out with a press release mocking Floyd for "only" doing 1.1-1.2 million buys.

"This fight was projected to do 3 or 4 million buys by Richard Schaeffer himself, and yet it flopped and did only a third of projections"

lol. In a perfect world, anyway. ha ha ha.
Snoop
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 4 2010, 01:06 AM) *
Pac should come out with a press release mocking Floyd for "only" doing 1.1-1.2 million buys.

"This fight was projected to do 3 or 4 million buys by Richard Schaeffer himself, and yet it flopped and did only a third of projections"

lol. In a perfect world, anyway. ha ha ha.

LOL. It would be pretty foolish for Pac to make fun of Floyd's PPV numbers when his own did worse than Mayweather's.
Method
On paper 1.2 is fine, but the problem is that all parties involved wre talking 2M-3M buys, so I'll call it a disappointment.

DLH did that against what's his name...Forbes? He also did somethin like that vs. Campas. I know, I know, it's DLH, but if your gonna talk about how bad ass a PPV force you are, yet you come up 30-50% short of projection, the jig is up. You ain't doin those numbers w out a DLH, Hatton leading the promotion.

This is NOT a knock on PBF whatsoever. I was mad impressed w what he showed me this past Sat - sitting in the pocket and showing complete game. That said, I know this guy is not the attraction and driving force he an his team would have you believe he is, and all if his PPV success has been driven by the A-side of his matches - DLH, Gatti, Hatton.

Again, 1.2 is great, but when you're projecting 2M-3M, I'd say that it's a disappointment. Especially when you're guaranteeing the guys close to $30M.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 3 2010, 06:08 PM) *
LOL. It would be pretty foolish for Pac to make fun of Floyd's PPV numbers when his own did worse than Mayweather's.

Well, Floyd had a bigger name opponent, plus I don't remember anyone projecting it to do 3 or 4 million. lol.

It just seemed like something funny to me, is all.
D-MARV
1.2 million is GREAT but certainly not the 2 million I was expecting. Oh well, whenever 1.2 million buys is considered a failure then you must be doing something right.
JLUVBABY
Top Pay-Per-View Boxing Events
TOP # ListAfterList List

Tags: Boxing, Pay-per-view, best, record, events, de la hoya, tyson, fight, money, ppv

These are the top 6 grossing pay-per-view bouts in boxing history. The 2007 De La Hoya versus Mayweather made the top of the list. I guess all that marketing by HBO payed off.

1. De La Hoya-Mayweather - on 5/5/2007 - 2.15 million total buys - $120 million gross revenue
2. Lewis-Tyson - on 6/8/2002 - 1.95 million total buys - $112 million gross revenue
3. Holyfield-Tyson II - on 6/28/1997 - 1.99 million total buys - $100.2 million gross revenue
4. Holyfield-Tyson I - on 11/9/1996 - 1.59 million total buys - $77.9 million gross revenue
5. Tyson-McNeeley - on 8/19/1995 - 1.55 million total buys - $67.1 million gross revenue
6. Trinidad-De La Hoya - on 9/18/1999 - 1.25 million total buys - $64.0 million gross revenue

Read more: http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/list...x#ixzz0mvCD4qTZ

this is an old list of course so i dont know how much its changed but the numbers mayweathers putting up are in the ballpark with some of the best... of course that number 1 has more to do with hoya but hoya couldnt have dont that number with anybody else other than mayweather...
Box in Hand
These numbers will increase. It's too soon to get an official tally so this is all speculation at this point.
jp
For what it's worth I read on the maxboards earlier today that the the preliminary numbers are approx 1.8, not including CC/theaters.

1.2 is a monster number, but given that the projections were so high, if that number is accurate nobody at GBP/HBO is going to be ecstatic about being that far off the mark.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (jp @ May 3 2010, 10:23 PM) *
For what it's worth I read on the maxboards earlier today that the the preliminary numbers are approx 1.8, not including CC/theaters.

this sounds more like an accurate number... too many people talked about this fight.. it was all over facebook and other boards... it was the talk at grocery stores just common everyday people where discussing this fight...
jp
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 3 2010, 11:30 PM) *
this sounds more like an accurate number... too many people talked about this fight.. it was all over facebook and other boards... it was the talk at grocery stores just common everyday people where discussing this fight...

I agree, I think the fight does just over 2 mil. The buzz was huge, Floyd is the biggest PPV draw in the sport right now, there was no UFC/MMA event to compete with, etc. I think all the elements are there for a BIG number.
Fitz
If it's true, I expected more.
Snoop
I dunno WTF Golden Boy was thinking projecting 3 mil. Did they really think Mosley was a bigger name than DLH or that Floyd's name has grown THAT much?

It's a shame they shot themselves in the foot in taking away the gusto in what would otherwise be an impressive PPV.
tymoney
QUOTE (Method @ May 3 2010, 09:20 PM) *
On paper 1.2 is fine, but the problem is that all parties involved wre talking 2M-3M buys, so I'll call it a disappointment.

DLH did that against what's his name...Forbes? He also did somethin like that vs. Campas. I know, I know, it's DLH, but if your gonna talk about how bad ass a PPV force you are, yet you come up 30-50% short of projection, the jig is up. You ain't doin those numbers w out a DLH, Hatton leading the promotion.

This is NOT a knock on PBF whatsoever. I was mad impressed w what he showed me this past Sat - sitting in the pocket and showing complete game. That said, I know this guy is not the attraction and driving force he an his team would have you believe he is, and all if his PPV success has been driven by the A-side of his matches - DLH, Gatti, Hatton.

Again, 1.2 is great, but when you're projecting 2M-3M, I'd say that it's a disappointment. Especially when you're guaranteeing the guys close to $30M.

I agree with DLH but certainly not Hatton. DLH has always been on the A side of the PPV but Hatton? I think those numbers were mostly Floyd. Sure Hatton bring a lot of money in at the gate b/c he brings his country with him.. but really how many people do you know spending $50 to see a Hatton fight? If that was the case him and Pacman wouldve did better numbers. And Floyd did a milli buys with Marquez, now if you dont think that was a testament to Floyd's draw.. then look at all of Marquez previous PPV #s.. better yet lets see how many numbers he does with the Diaz rematch. Floyd may not be as big as draw as some suggest obviously, but hes still the biggest draw in the sport today. And DLH-Forbes was live on HBO it wasnt an PPV event.
TRU
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 4 2010, 01:24 AM) *
People underrate Hatton's name for the PBF fight. The world PPV sales were something ridiculous off memory.

Yeah something like 1.4 million in the UK at some ungodly hour of 3 or 4am.

In a country of 62 million... 20 percent as big as the US.

Yes it was insanity.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 3 2010, 11:54 PM) *
I dunno WTF Golden Boy was thinking projecting 3 mil. Did they really think Mosley was a bigger name than DLH or that Floyd's name has grown THAT much?

It's a shame they shot themselves in the foot in taking away the gusto in what would otherwise be an impressive PPV.

Maybe they were just trying the Jedi mind trick. "This fight will do 3 million buys."
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (tymoney @ May 4 2010, 12:17 AM) *
I agree with DLH but certainly not Hatton. DLH has always been on the A side of the PPV but Hatton? I think those numbers were mostly Floyd. Sure Hatton bring a lot of money in at the gate b/c he brings his country with him.. but really how many people do you know spending $50 to see a Hatton fight? If that was the case him and Pacman wouldve did better numbers. And Floyd did a milli buys with Marquez, now if you dont think that was a testament to Floyd's draw.. then look at all of Marquez previous PPV #s.. better yet lets see how many numbers he does with the Diaz rematch. Floyd may not be as big as draw as some suggest obviously, but hes still the biggest draw in the sport today. And DLH-Forbes was live on HBO it wasnt an PPV event.

The Marquez numbers have been shown to be a little shonky due to the tax returns HBO filed with the IRS. That story just kinda died down but I would've liked to have seen the media follow it through to its conclusion. Interesting.
JD
I think that based upon the push it got, the fact that both fighters are known in the mainstream, a 24 X 7, and the expectations, these numbers are a bit disappointing.

Throwing 3 mill out there has people expecting 2 mill.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 4 2010, 08:29 AM) *
I think that based upon the push it got, the fact that both fighters are known in the mainstream, a 24 X 7, and the expectations, these numbers are a bit disappointing.

Throwing 3 mill out there has people expecting 2 mill.

I think they are VERY disappointing. I'm going to wait until the final figure comes out though. I'm hearing mixed reports.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 4 2010, 08:37 AM) *
I think they are VERY disappointing. I'm going to wait until the final figure comes out though. I'm hearing mixed reports.

On it's own they wouldn't be...but you have what could end up being the biggest event of the year - and it was sold as such.

All reports I have seen after the fight go no higher than 1.2 mill.
salvador
If DLH-Tito was 1.2MM and Floyd can do over a million with Mosley, then Floyd really is a very big deal on his own. It's impossible for me to imagine that anyone thought this could do anywhere close to 2MM.

On a sad note, I just got a call from the Home Depot Center wanting to know if I wanted some heavily discounted tickets to Cintron-Williams this weekend. If Williams can't fill that tiny venue (with already very cheap tix - the most expensive ticketmaster floor tix are $200) in L.A., then Floyd will never ever feel compelled to fight him.

D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ May 4 2010, 08:53 AM) *
If DLH-Tito was 1.2MM and Floyd can do over a million with Mosley, then Floyd really is a very big deal on his own. It's impossible for me to imagine that anyone thought this could do anywhere close to 2MM.

On a sad note, I just got a call from the Home Depot Center wanting to know if I wanted some heavily discounted tickets to Cintron-Williams this weekend. If Williams can't fill that tiny venue (with already very cheap tix - the most expensive ticketmaster floor tix are $200) in L.A., then Floyd will never ever feel compelled to fight him.

WTF man?

I hate the west coast!!!! I will KILL to pay 200 dollars for floorseat tickets to a PWill fight. FUCK!
JLUVBABY
my feeling is this... even if it is 1.2 million buys thats not shabby... to me the bar was set with the tyson lewis fight.... tyson was mr ppv at the time... so if you have a fighter like oscar or floyd that can generate in that arena of numbers its not bad.... 2 million buys is very hard to do even for the best of them... its only been done once... close to twice with tyson lewis...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 4 2010, 09:12 AM) *
my feeling is this... even if it is 1.2 million buys thats not shabby... to me the bar was set with the tyson lewis fight.... tyson was mr ppv at the time... so if you have a fighter like oscar or floyd that can generate in that arena of numbers its not bad.... 2 million buys is very hard to do even for the best of them... its only been done once... close to twice with tyson lewis...

1.2 million would be FANTATSTIC under normal circumstances (I think Cotto-Pacquiao did 1.2 million)...

But from all the promotion and predictions... I consider 1.2 million disappionting.
JD
Pacquiao - Cotto did 1.25.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 4 2010, 08:10 AM) *
WTF man?

I hate the west coast!!!! I will KILL to pay 200 dollars for floorseat tickets to a PWill fight. FUCK!

I couldn't possibly agree more. $200 gets you 8th row floor seats and that's before the discount.

I think Williams-Cintron has the potential be a really great fight. I don't count Cintron out for a minute. He's big and can punch and his boxing skills have improved since the Marg fights. And Williams is one of the 2 or 3 most action packed fighters in the sport right now. Totally crazy.

Mostly it's just fucked that Williams can't bring any money to the table for Floyd - which means that there's absolutely no chance that fight will ever happen.

D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 4 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Pacquiao - Cotto did 1.25.

Considering that Cotto has a bigger name than Mosley I can definitely see that playing in Mayweather's favor But still disappointing if true.
JD
You think Cotto has a bigger name than Mosley?

I think Shane Mosley's name has more mainstream recognition than Miguel Cotto's; he has been in the ring with DLH twice, is American, and carries the Sugar moniker...more non-fight fans that I have spoken to know Mosley than Cotto; although they were all psyched to come by for Pac - Cotto, the non-fight fans referred to him as "the Cotto-dude" or "the Cotto-guy", Mosley was just Mosley...I think this fight also got a bigger push. Is it a huge difference in name recognition? No...probably not; I mean, it's not like we are comparing Oscar Dela Hoya and Glenwood Brown.

But to me, none of that stuff matters because to make the mega fight as big as it can be, both guys are needed.

As far as dollars and cents go, to me 50 / 50 is fair...if they want to do 45 / 45 and save the remaining 10 for the winner, that's fine, but I have always thought that parity is reasonable.
D-MARV
Yes... Cotto has a bigger name. Is that really debatable?

Cotto-Margarito and Cotto-Judah were both PPV's while those same opponents were scheduled to fight Mosley on HBO. Not to mention, Cotto had Puerto Rico behind him. I do agree that Mayweather-Mosley got a bigger push in terms of promotion though.

I personally think that Mayweather deserves the bigger slice of the pot based on numbers against COMMON opponents and just overall PPV sales. Mayweather has become a household name (Pacquiao has as well) bit I don't think it's a question as to who the bigger star is.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 4 2010, 10:05 AM) *
Yes... Cotto has a bigger name. Is that really debatable?

Cotto-Margarito and Cotto-Judah were both PPV's while those same opponents were scheduled to fight Mosley on HBO. Not to mention, Cotto had Puerto Rico behind him. I do agree that Mayweather-Mosley got a bigger push in terms of promotion though.

I personally think that Mayweather deserves the bigger slice of the pot based on numbers against COMMON opponents and just overall PPV sales. Mayweather has become a household name (Pacquiao has as well) bit I don't think it's a question as to who the bigger star is.

Yeah, I think it is probably debatable. LOL...I think the better question is, "is it really worth debating?"

Cotto may have more of a diehard fanbase, but in boxing that doesn't mean that he has more mainstream recognition. Diehards always buy the PPV's anyway, which is what HBO is able to capitalize off of. Mosley doesn't have Puerto Rico behind him, but he is American and as far as name recognition in the US mainstream I think Mosley has more, sharing the ring with Oscar DLH twice is tremendous for a fighter, especially when they win. As I said, are we dealing with a huge difference? No, I don't think so.

Cotto is fighting in June at Yankee Stadium on regular HBO, I don't think it means he has less of name recognition or a fanbase now, what it means is that the economics of it have changed over the past couple of years. Cotto - Clottey was also on regular HBO this past Summer...again, not a slight on Cotto, just a paradigm shift from HBO.

I think Floyd and Pac are equivalent in terms of star power...with a very short lead time to sell a PPV, and in turn, no marketing push or 24 X 7, Pac was able to do 750k against Clottey and sell 51,000 seats. I think both fighters have become attractions to a smiliar level by and large...and to make the event what it would be, both guys are needed. Do they both have options without each other? Definitely. Can they both go and create a buzz without each other? Without question.
JLUVBABY
i have to agree i would think cottos name is a bigger mainstream name as well... i mean mosley is known but he's not on the status of cotto in my opinion... at least not down my way...
TRU
Some of you boxing weirdos need to look outside of your tiny circles of people.

Mosley is by FAR, the more recognizable name than Miguel Cotto.

That shit is not debatable in any way, shape, or form and some of your arguments to support this fact are laughable.

jp
As far as name recognition in boxing is concerned Mosley>Cotto.

It's a bizarre world when 1.2 million buys is considered a disappointment.....we'll see how it plays out when the official numbers are released.
D-MARV
QUOTE (TRU @ May 4 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Some of you boxing weirdos need to look outside of your tiny circles of people.

Mosley is by FAR, the more recognizable name than Miguel Cotto.

That shit is not debatable in any way, shape, or form and some of your arguments to support this fact are laughable.

Maybe if you look at it from a Historical prespective... But as far as drawing power, it's Cotto!

jlupi
It would be pretty foolish for Pac to make fun of Floyd's PPV numbers when his own did worse than Mayweather's.>>>

I think 1.2mil and pacs 750 are reasonably close considering there was no real 24/7 lead in for pac and clottey is not a name.
D-MARV
QUOTE (jlupi @ May 4 2010, 11:57 AM) *
I think 1.2mil and pacs 750 are reasonably close considering there was no real 24/7 lead in for pac and clottey is not a name.

LMAO...

Half a million seperates the to PPVs... I wouldn't consider that "close" at all. But I do recognize that Mosley brought more to the table than Clottey.
King Eugene
Shane has the bigger "name" but Cotto has the bigger following. He has the whole country of PR plus New Yorkers. Everybody knows blacks dont support their fighters like others do.
Mean Mister Mustard
Based on the numbers that Pacquiao and Mayweather have done, coupled with the fact that they are both at their peaks. it would not surprise me to see a fight between them do 3 million buys.
D-MARV
Mayweather-Pacquiao would do 2.2 million buys if they fought this year.

War OSCAR! LOL
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 4 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Half a million seperates the to PPVs... I wouldn't consider that "close" at all. But I do recognize that Mosley brought more to the table than Clottey.

How many buys do you think the PPV's would do, if the A-sides swapped places in events? Tix sold?
thehype
Pretty impressive that it took Arum and company nearly a week to tally the PPV numbers for Pacquiao-Clottey and yet, Kevin Iole makes one phone call and has close to the final tally within a day and half after the fight. LOL.
JD
QUOTE (thehype @ May 4 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Pretty impressive that it took Arum and company nearly a week to tally the PPV numbers for Pacquiao-Clottey and yet, Kevin Iole makes one phone call and has close to the final tally with a day and half after the fight. LOL.

Do you think Iole is talking out of his ass?

D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 4 2010, 01:59 PM) *
How many buys do you think the PPV's would do, if the A-sides swapped places in events? Tix sold?

I think Mayweather would have had more PPV sales but Pac would have had more tix sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.